[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did you get into graphic design?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1473220785490.jpg (56KB, 463x463px) Image search: [Google]
1473220785490.jpg
56KB, 463x463px
Anyone here switch majors into gd?

I originally wanted to do graphic design (being an artfag all my life) by my parents harshly discouraged me. So I started studying something that would make them proud like computer science.

After a while CS began to feel so stale and boring. It's so difficult to work on it because I just hate it so much now.

I think I wanna come back to graphic design. Should I do it anons?

My brain just isn't used to thinking in math and code all the time. I've been very visual all my life.
>>
Of course you should, if that's what you like then do it. Don't force yourself to do something you don't like.
>>
>>286966

graphic design is really good. I felt the same way you did about design. I got bored of it.

Just take some time off and experience life. It makes you understand how important your skills and knowledge are, how ever weak they may be.

Never forget, you aren't the first or the last. And there will always be someone shittier than you.
>>
Thanks for the input anons.
Honestly I fell the make 90k right out of college meme.

I guess it's a good thing I'm not too far into that degree yet.

Time to make a change.
>>
I was a physics major for a few years before I switched to graphic design. I got along well enough in the classes, but I didnt really see myself as being a scientist by the end of it. I just couldn't picture it. Besides science, I was really heavy into art and the like, I've done damn near every creative field. photag, gd, painting, drawing, acting, 3dcg, mainly as a way to cope with my ocd. My parents ended up asking me why I was in science when I'm clearly interested in art, and I didnt have a solid answer. I guess I wanted to make them proud by having something to brag about. They finally gave me that extra push to pursue gd, and I havent been happier. I do really well and I think this is something that I should have done in the first place.

My advice to you OP is to follow your goals. I know it's kind of cliche to say follow your heart, but if you're not that into it then you're not gonna make it. Dont rest on your laurels and just make the jump. Dont worry about what your parents might think. If you end up a success they'll talk about how they always believed in you and all that jazz. Do it for you. Find what makes you happy.

Sorry for the blog, but hopefully it helps you or someone out.
>>
I built RuneScape phishing sites as a kid. As the players became less retarded, the sites had to look more convincing.

Probably hacked hundreds of accounts. I still feel guilty about it.
>>
>>287029
Thanks for the advice anon. I think I'll finally "follow my heart" like I wanted to from the very start.
>>
>>287042
Do it anon, at the very least you may end up liking it. I'm at the point where I look forward to new projects, just to have something different as a challenge. I think that kind of mindset is key. If you don't want to do it day in and day out, it's not for you.
Not to mention, hopefully you've learned some good shit at least from CS, and made some friends. You'll have a different perspective than the other students coming in, and that will definitely help you. Plus you can collab with your CS friends.

I end up collabing with my physics friends for things on occassion. So even though I'm not in science anymore, I can still help out and feel like I'm contributing a bit.

You can do it OP.
>>
>>287052
That actually sounds exciting. Right now I work in production in order to pay for college, and doing the same exact shit everyday gets old very fast.
>>
>>286966
I wanted to be a CS major to do freelance web development, but i failed algebra like twice and i didnt wanna go through calculus and all that other bullshit. So i took Computer Arts cus it offered a web design class and i figured i could learn all the design principles and software and shit and then also learn coding in my spare time so when i got out i would have companies sucking my dick to get me to work for them.

And now im too busy doing these Photoshop/Premiere Pro/Dreamweaver projects to even code in my spare time. And now i also have a crippling inferiority complex because everyone in my classes is more talented than i am
>>
I originally went to a school without a graphic design program and took a lot of art classes, but I felt like I wasn't doing well enough to transfer to a decent Uni as a traditional art major. I wound up working for a couple years to save money and enrolled into a different college with a couple graphic design degree/certificate options.

The only reason why I picked the current school was because of the financial aid but I really enjoy the design class I'm in and the head of the program seems really impressed by my work so far. I asked them about job prospects and he said the majority of his students get jobs immediately after graduating, which gave me more confidence towards sticking with the major. Having a job I'd enjoy doing seems like it'd be worth trying for.
>>
Is there a huge difference between studying Visual Communications, and Graphic Design?

For me it's a matter of location. The college that offers GD is a bit farther from my house and job.
>>
Minor in graphic design. That CS degree will pay the bills, and you'll be able to practice your passion too.
>>
>>287132
Does graphic design alone not pay the bills?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.