[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

dribbblel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: dribbble-logo.jpg (20KB, 561x215px) Image search: [Google]
dribbble-logo.jpg
20KB, 561x215px
I'm diving into the freelance world and I want to increase my online presence.

is dribbble any good? is it worth getting an invite?

how could I get an invite?
>>
>>286179
I've only just recently joined, so this is not a definitive opinion, but my first impression is that it's one big circle jerk, meaning that it's oversaturated with flat, boring, uninspiring, repetitive, derivative, imitative, clichéic, and even 'immature' designs with loads of useless icons, illustrations, and ultimately work that can't be used in real life scenarios, but they're uploaded for vanity. Of course, there are some neat ones too, I'm just exaggerating a bit here. However, the platform's great for old timers who now have tens of thousands of followers—so they can easily get approached by potential clients. But if you're just starting out, they will overshadow you, and in some cases, their work isn't that special. But anyways, if you don't have any friends to invite you in, but you still want to join nevertheless, then sign up for an account and browse through this page: https://dribbble.com/tags/invite Follow the instructions provided by the users and if you're lucky, some stranger will eventually let you in. Don't stress over it, though. It's not that important. You can do just fine with Bēhance for now if you're a beginner or if you don't have anything to show off for. I don't have any invitations; they don't give it to unpopular users. Good luck.
>>
>>286181
it's certainly a circle jerk but your criticism of the work is hilariously inaccurate. some of the world's best designers and studios are on there. maybe stop following shitty designers.

>>286179
if you want an invite, just search invite/invitation and sort by date then contact them with your portfolio.
>>
>>286268
It's not inaccurate at all. If you're a novice in the field of digital/web/mobile design, or if your work is generic or even sub par, you're going to find the content uploaded to Dribbble to be of high quality. But if you were to search right now for designers based on popularity, you'll find out that the work is exactly as I've described it above, i.e. flat, boring, uninspiring, repetitive, derivative, imitative, etc. Just because some well known agencies have an account there, doesn't tell me anything. Those are actually in a separate category from individuals and are labeled as 'teams'. Naturally, their work should be better, considering that it gets filtered through multiple people, but even then, it's not always outstanding. A few examples:
1. This guy (56k followers) has been doing the same thing for over two years, and sometimes I ask myself how can you make money out of something so superficial: https://dribbble.com/RYPEARTS Like him, there are countless other people doing exactly the same oh-so-quirky illustrations every single day.
2. This team (33k followers) creates bland work, similar to other Indonesian, Bangladeshi, Zimbabwean, Filipino teams out there, yet people praise them as if it's the most disruptive approach in design: https://dribbble.com/focuslab
3. Another one, from SF of course (48k followers), uploads UI work that came straight out of Bootstrap's stock design. In fact, I've downloaded a couple of free UI kits that had better designs than that: https://dribbble.com/kerem
4. This guy (26k followers) just loves those meme logo circles: https://dribbble.com/cresk
Certainly, there's also good work out there, but in comparison, it's very little. Or maybe my standards and expectations are too high, or I'm growing tired of the same old 'Daily UI challenges' and whatnot.
>>
>>286313
"maybe stop following shitty designers." If I list 5 first-rate designers, does that counter your 4? As I just said, some of the top designers use it to showcase work, which means you're hilariously wrong, again.

If 15 years of designing professionally makes me a novice, you must have a great standard for experience and skill. You must link me your Dribbble or Behance profile!
>>
>>286318
What I was trying to say here but you didn't understand is the fact that Dribbble is by no means a staple element for outstanding design. Instead, it's only a regurgitation of this week's flavor in design. Reputable global digital agencies don't rely on it either. Akqa, Pentagram, Landor, Mucho, Meta Design, Saffron, Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv and others, none have Dribbble pages. Is this not what "top designer" means? Or do you believe that some freelancer on the Internet is a top designer?
>If I list 5 first-rate designers, does that counter your 4?
"[...] Certainly, there's also good work out there, [...]"
"[...] Of course, there are some neat ones too, I'm just exaggerating a bit here. [...]"
Please pay more attention to what I've said (written).
As I've already stated in my first reply, I've only recently joined in out of curiosity and haven't posted anything. I don't do social network websites in exchange for likes and hollow appreciation, and before you take this even further to a dick measuring contest, I want to say that I personally use my own website where I'm in control of everything. And for sure I'm not linking it here. This page will get archived and eventually indexed by search engines so I don't want my name to be forever associated with the hacker known as Four Chins, thanks to SEO. As for your expertise, you can work for 50 years in a low-level, small town, no achievements, no awards, no high profile clients, nothing to show but a label that says "Est. 2000" kind of way. Don't take it as an insult. I haven't won any awards either. Just because you're doing something for over a decade is by no means a guarantee of innovative work.
>>
>>286321

>meta design
>saffron
>mucho

please tell me you're kidding

Many of those studios have designers on Dribbble, just not as a team, considering they are thousands strong companies. But no, I mean Dropbox, Squarespace, Medium, GitHub, MailChimp, Spotify, Instagram, Facebook, and Google. Big.

>As for your expertise, you can work for 50 years in a low-level, small town, no achievements, no awards, no high profile clients, nothing to show but a label that says "Est. 2000" kind of way. Don't take it as an insult. I haven't won any awards either. Just because you're doing something for over a decade is by no means a guarantee of innovative work.

That wasn't your argument. You suggested I was a novice and I called you out on it. Changing your argument wont work. Please pay attention.

I didn't say they relied on it. I said some of the world's top designers and studios use it.

short the link then delete. If you're afraid to reveal your beautiful website to me, I get it.
>>
>>286321
"Certainly, there's also good work out there, but in comparison, it's very little". it's like that with every showcase site. follow good designers. mackey saturday, andrew colin beck, muti, matt carlson, markus magnusson, sergey shaprio, szende brassai, ben stafford
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.