[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Graphic design teachers dont understand art. As someone with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (134KB, 768x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134KB, 768x960px
Graphic design teachers dont understand art.

As someone with a background in visual art who is now studying graphic design I find that many graphic design teachers do not understand art and ,ainly understand things such as corporate design, things that you would typically see on a billboard, or dvd cover.

If you design things inspired by the fineart world and movements such as cubism, or abstract art they will give you a low grade simply because they don't know what they are looking at.

However I believe for the right circumstances or clients design can be inspired by people like picaso.
>>
Yeah that's the thing that a company should trive for. An abstract brand identity.
>>
>>285743
What about a book cover, T shirt design or even a skate board deck?
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 451x326px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 451x326px
One of my favourite fine art looking logos.
>>
>>285741
You're trying to make me hate artists aren't you.
>>
Communication and multmedia designer here. A background in art is very helpful. I got my degree at a fine arts and technology academy, that teaches not only graphic design but also gives you the basics of filmmaking, animation, webdesign, tabletop and videogames, installation design and UX.
>>
>>285741
Lol. You are in for some hard lessons OP. You're not as smart as you think you are and will pay a price because of it.
>>
>>285741
OP those are two differen things. As a graphic deisgner your job is to communicate messages through graphics.

>If you design things inspired by the fineart world and movements such as cubism, or abstract art they will give you a low grade simply because they don't know what they are looking at.

Exactly you retard. You're doing the exact opposite of what you're tasked to do.
>>
>>285754
No, I wont.
>>
>>285766
Typical graphic designer thinking they are more talented than they actually are.

There is a lot of things you dont learn about design in your college degrees...
>>
All I am saying is whrn I first started studying graphic design, I used to pick projects like design a cover for a book about art.

That way I could do something a bit more interesting than the typical design stuff I will have to do when you graduate.

I quickly learned not to do that because the teachers will give you a bad mark as they only understand commercial design.

In the right context such as the cover of a book about "how to paint like picasso" or "how to paint like a fauv".. A cover that takes away from art is okay.

But not to a design teacher.
>>
File: image.jpg (12KB, 295x257px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12KB, 295x257px
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 447x329px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 447x329px
>>
>UGH my teachers are so STUPID xD they don't *GET* me... they don't understand REAL art...
>>
Visual artists are fucking insufferable.

No one cares about your vision, your talent, your influences, your politics, or you.

Make cool shit. That's it.

Sincerely, a musician.
>>
>>285803
I think that's kinda cool. Is it yours? Do you have more?
>>
>>285799
I didn't even mention my talent. I didn't even mention college. Wtf are you on about.

>>285801
Ok that's reasonable. But what if you just sucked? Or the assignment was to demonstrate X skill and you demonstrated Y. Why didn't you just ask your teacher?
>>
with most sings said in this thread, especially >>285835
i would agree that a background in arts is very helpful. but mostly just because of composition or colors since these things dont really change when it comes to visuals. but i wouldnt generalize the teachers. i know plenty of teachers comming from arts and are now somehow into graphic design etc.
>>
Corporate design is where the money lies. One of my best graphic design teachers was a visual artist though. Design principals are basically the same as in art, but they're two different things, as said in this message >>285766
>>
>>285741
>If you design things inspired by the fineart world and movements such as cubism, or abstract art they will give you a low grade simply because they don't know what they are looking at.

My friend, I think you just have very shitty teachers
>>
>>285798
Yeah, you will. And that price is your lack of paycheck.

Your GD teachers are trying to show you how to get a job in the field. If you just want to be a poor painter, then don't you already know what you need to do next?
>>
>>285741
they gave u a low grade cause u are a token nigger who got in the gd program because of quotas pertaining to yer skin color. such quotas do u a disservice and u should prolly get a jerb at the post office. can u imagine if the nfl had white people quotas? silly isnt it? quotas in qd are just as silly.
>>
>>285814
>music
you literally expect to make a living by sculpting air molecules. get a real job nigger.
>>
you're missing the point entirely.
as its been said many times the point of graphic design is completely different from fine art.

no one is going to sit and look at a company logo and appreciate its composition.

take a good logo. you can drive past it and not even look at it, just a flash in your peripheral vision is enough to make you think of that company.
>>
>>285930
> by sculpting air molecules

how is this not the highest form of art?
>>
the design is more important than the aesthetic

you need a strong concept before you even decide on a aesthetic and you need to push that aesthetic until it's your own

you're absolutely correct, inspiration can come from anywhere, but it's not always appropriate.
>>
>>285814
> No one cares about your vision, your talent, your influences, your politics, or you.

If that was true nobody would interview artists for magazines and websites and ask them questions about such things.
>>
>>285908

> you wont be able to get a job if you have a background in visual art.

I litterally can't even comprehend how thick you are.

How fucking thick are you? You just do what the client wants and listen to feedback.

So complicated..
>>
>>285929
Im white.
>>
>>286007
> as its been said many times the point of graphic design is completely different from fine art.
This is true only 98 percent of the time.
>>
For example in an upcoming assignment I have to design some playing cards.

I know I am going to have to do some retarded manga illustrations or something like the rest of my class mates because if I go all fine art the retarded teachers are going to give me a shitty mark again....

Maybe if I take inspiration from a easier to understand artist like aplhonse mucha they will get it.
>>
>>285741
Is this more that you are you pissed 'cos you got a shite mark for a project you did? Being inspired by art is fine but it has to be relevant to the brand in some way, otherwise it can come across aa phony and pointless.
>>
>>285741
People is stupid. They don't understand art. Don't make designs people don't understand. will ruin the business..
Don't get me wrong, art can be an exquisite addition to the work of a designer, in branding, marketing or whatever. But sometimes you gotta leave ego behind and design that corny-looking wedding invitation in comic sans. because that's also good design in certain contexts.
>>
>>286097
I agree with this.

>>286100
Exactly except for the comic sans part.
>>
>>286100
There's literally no situation Comic Sans would be appropriate. Not even for an actual comic.
>>
>>286091
And I'm Bill Clinton.
>>
>>285741
>For example in an upcoming assignment I have to design some playing cards.
>
> because if I go all fine art the retarded teachers are going to give me a shitty mark again....
>

Or maybe your artwork is just shit mate. Youre a student, your work is probably shit. Learn from it instead of complaining about it. Get over yourself or youll never get better
>>
>>286124
Used to get high distinctions when I studied art...

If I just avoid stuff that they wont understand I can get good marks.
>>
> If you design things inspired by the fineart world and movements such as cubism, or abstract art they will give you a low grade simply because they don't know what they are looking at.

Show us some of your stuff rather than pointless venting.
>>
Can you give more examples?
>>
>>286096

actually the graphic design teachers hate the manga shit. its because so many fucking weebos take graphic design and they think that because they can draw in one type of style well they should apply it to every fucking design. I love seeing my professors critique manga shit, you can always tell that they want to say its shit.
>>
>>285741
OP, I would take many of the negative replies and insults with a pinch of salt. None of them are capable of seeing from your point of view and it is clear from their responses that they themselves simply do not value design as art and probably never will. I can't say i'd want to work with them, but then I won't have to, so who cares.

There are in fact universities/colleges which do teach you contextual art as a mandatory part of your curriculum and this is one of the reasons I would advocate a degree over self learning: because GOOD graphix design courses should be teaching you this stuff and they should be open to your abstract ideas (as long as you can justify them and the project calls for such an idea), you simply have to look into the specific course. I studied at a college and university in the UK, both of which consistently taught us contextual art and expected us to draw influence from wider creative fields. We were expected to know about abstract art and key movements including cubism, dada, de stijl and the like as well as avant-garde art and media alongside graphic design principles and practice. We were also allocated entire 6 week projects in which we were asked to draw influence from these movements and were regularly encouraged to look outside of graphic design in our research on every brief.

Design can indeed be art, it's a shame so little of these people can see that, but I agree that reguardless of whether you use it or not you should have these contextual knowledges. It certainly doesn't hurt your chances even if all you do is bland corporate design.

Ultimately, if you don't get along with your course then jump ship. There are places that will teach you this, and there are certainly clients which will value your contextual knowledge and will pay you handsomely than as a result.

As always, it's a matter of perspective and I expect many of the people replying simply haven't had that education and therefore can't possibly relate.
>>
>>286229
What kind of "graphix design" are you refering to mate? From what you say, it sounds like youre another fine-art student who tried to take your talent as an artist into the design field to you can actually get paid for your "art" but you fail to understand graphic design is communication and just as much as classifying info into easily consumed visuals. The point is not to be pretty - its to convey information, which yes can look great but is rarely art. You'd be better off as an illustrator. Thats a field where you can use your artistic talent and get paid for it.
>>
>>286090
Well apparently OP has a problem with that. He is not even able to deliver properly to his teacher.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.