[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for some help re client's and basically how to express

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: flame.jpg (1MB, 1944x2896px) Image search: [Google]
flame.jpg
1MB, 1944x2896px
Looking for some help re client's and basically how to express that they're wrong and I'm not their lapdog.

Volunteering to do graphic design for an independent short film. Someone close to me wrote the script but director was planning on going ahead without a designer (stretched scaled images & Papyrus I shit you not, I stepped up to help out the person I care about because I want this to look as good as possible so they get noticed (hopefully anyway).

I've only been on board since last Thursday when the director phoned me and told me she needed an image for the crowd funding page with other social media images so I said no problem. The only images I had to work with were stills I could pull from the minute of footage already shot (at Dawn so very dark and very blue). I did my best and came up with something eye catching and with room to expand the identity further when it came to posters and other materials.

However, she and the producer agreed that it didn't suit their vision for the film (which they didn't explain to me, partly my fault because I didn't ask). That was fair enough, had a meeting, understood the look they wanted and spent a few hours today doing it (again, a small social media image just to set the tone a little).

Once again she's pushing back and wants something weak with a bad colour palette. They've already planned what the poster will look like which I've just been informed of and basically what they want is everything to look like the True Detective title sequence.

I'm going on vacation for a week tonight and need to email back before I leave. I'm concerned with how I'm being treated right now over something small – being told exactly what to do rather than being treated as a professional basically. I'm volunteering my time and I can only imagine what things'll be like later on.

Any tips on how to approach this? (image: director wants flames over everything)

tl;dr Clients being controlling on a project I'm volunteering for, advice?
>>
So you haven't talked about your role in the team. You can do so now and if they are not happy with you taking a more decision based role then simply finish what you have already started and leave.
>>
Do you have any advice on phrasing or what to actually say that won't come across as defensive or rude?
>>
Set limits. I read this twice and both times thought 'walk away'. Mention you have other commitments and that you can't realistically do what they're asking for within the time you can freely volunteer. Make it about your commitments and that 'I'm afraid you're underestimating how much work this is'.

And then gradually get out by repeating that line. People start as they mean to go on. Tell them you have x hours a week for this (don't say 40!) and spend that much time on it. Honestly, it sounds like it is going to mean sleepless nights. Would you ask someone else to do what you know is required? Good luck.
>>
>>285629
What you're experiencing is completely normal. Welcome to the business.
>>
>>285629
Reword this post and send them that.
>>
>>285724
This.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.