[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking to buy a new laptop for designing stuff. Question is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

File: 1474564072969.jpg (2MB, 2525x3428px) Image search: [Google]
1474564072969.jpg
2MB, 2525x3428px
Looking to buy a new laptop for designing stuff. Question is if I were to sign up for a degree course next year, do schools force you to get a macbook or are you fine using windows?
>>
File: IMG_0625.jpg (49KB, 417x426px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0625.jpg
49KB, 417x426px
>>285470
>do schools force you to get a macbook or are you fine using windows?
are you retarded?
>>
File: maxresdefault (5).jpg (376KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (5).jpg
376KB, 1920x1080px
>>285471
that's why I'm asking whether schools actually force it on you
>>
FUCKING INSTALL GENTOO
>>
As a past design student, I find that any type of computer will do the job. However in all the courses I have completed I find that Apple computers were always used, so you're better off getting a macbook as you're probably going to be using that os more than windows.
>>
>>285498
Thanks, I was leaning towards getting a windows laptop at first because there's more value for the money but like you said, companies usually use macs and it would be good to have some proficiency in it I guess
>>
>>285498
> I was leaning towards getting a windows laptop at first because there's more value for the money
This is what you should do. A good computer is better than a flashy one (even if it comes up as an industry standard)

>companies usually use macs
Yes but that's cause the industry is retarded, trendy and value looks over everything.

>good to have some proficiency in it
Build a dual boot windows/hackintosh in that case.
>>
>>285502
I've read that hackintosh may be unstable though
Like it's easier to go from mac -> bootcamp than windows -> hackintosh
>>
>>285499

I use a mac daily as a web designer/developer and love it, but I have to say the way adobe programs handle window mangement/fullscreen on OSX is infuriating.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-04-19-20-43.png (621KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-04-19-20-43.png
621KB, 1440x2560px
Will this be good enough for Photoshop/premier pro use?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (70KB, 583x353px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
70KB, 583x353px
>>285532
>I've read that hackintosh may be unstable though
Not the guy you're replying to, but I've been using one for my main system since Mavericks, with no issues. If you can get over the initial finicky installation process, you're fine.
>>
>>285532
Only if you pick the wrong laptop. Look up comparability before hand and buy a laptop that's most compatible, if I recall correctly, there should be some dells that have everything working except maybe bluetooth, but you won't need that anyways.
>>
>>285563
I've been looking into it, but i can't get through the 'copy files' on Unibeast, do you know what could be the problem?
>>
>>285470
>>285563
I'm still on El Capitan with my hackingtosh. I'm a little hesitant to upgrade. Did you just do it through apple?

>Tfw have to order wifi chip from china
>>
>>285596
Come on dude Tonymac has it clear as day...
>>
desu mac has turned out to be cheaper compared to other people I know with PC laptops. My bro has had 3 laptops in the 5 years+ ive had this one. IDK if quality is still the same though
>>
>>285563
>>285597
>>285593

What laptops are you using? I was looking at the dell xps 13 and while I do not want the touch screen upgrade, the default screen has a really average resolution
>>
>>285596
Sorry, I got nothing other than to check the console logs / read troubleshooting notes https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/unibeast-7-troubleshooting-notes.203153/

>>285597
I did. Updated Clover, moved fakesmc to the config folder, then updated normally. I had to fuck around with the boot options a bit since I didn't bother to properly read the guide, but otherwise it went fine.

>>285604
Tbh at that price I would just buy a MBP. I don't think the difference is significant enough to warrant the trouble.
>>
>>285624
I already have a desktop for gaming/autodesk so for a laptop, I'm looking for a really portable one and the Thinkpad Carbon X1, Macbook pro and Dell XPS 13 are my only choices. I'm waiting for the new MBP to come out atm, heard it's near the end of this month
>>
>>285558
Ive never gone to design school, is it more cost effective to build a computer and use a desktop at home, and take a shitty laptop to class with you?

Is this how things work, or do people starting in the industry just use laptops.
>>
>>285636
>>>285558 (You)
>Ive never gone to design school, is it more cost effective to build a computer and use a desktop at home, and take a shitty laptop to class with you?
>Is this how things work, or do people starting in the industry just use laptops.

I need the portability. Is this laptop shitty? 32gb ram and i7 skylake
>>
>>285638
Honestly Im sure it is, just compare the programs optimal specs with the laptops specs, will probably take like two seconds to check it.
>>
>>285638
Something with an SSD and nicer screen would be good, but specs-wise it's totally fine. The CPU is better than anything in a similarly priced Macbook / Thinkpad / Dell.
>>
You don't need a monster gpu to work well unless you're doing some heavy 3d modeling and rendering and for that purpose just get a desktop pc, for graphic design get a regular windows laptop from a brand you trust/like with something like the nvidia gt 940m/950m, an i5 processor and at least 8gb of ram but search for something that you can upgrade later, 16gb of ram is ideal and and ssd will make your workflow noticeably faster than with a regular hard drive.

Also, if you are into 3d you can get a gaming laptop, if that's the case then buy something with a pascal gpu inside, if this is the case for you then DON'T buy a macbook, of lucky enough to get one with a gpu you'll end up paying premium for a crappy amd gpu that runs sahara hot.
>>
Also, most laptops come with crap like displays, if you can afford it get a laptop with an OLED display or one of those fancy IGZO 4k displays.
>>
Is Adobe CC easier to crack on Windows or Mac?
>>
File: Capture.png (310KB, 1210x329px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
310KB, 1210x329px
>>285628
>I'm waiting for the new MBP to come out atm
why?
>>
>>285939
This comparison uses the macbook not the macbookpro.
My MBP has an intel Core i7 and it's from 2013.
Show me the bench saying latest MBP is shit pls.
+ what about ergonomy?
>>
desu all my professors heavily hinted that we should get a macbook (communication design here). I was lucky enough to get a relative to sell me a 15" macbook pro with an i7 and 8GB ram for just 1100euros. Look up if your school has any convention with apple/other companies, our uni allows us to pay half the price of a mac on the spot and the the rest divided in 2 years
>>
File: 1.png (375KB, 1528x1524px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
375KB, 1528x1524px
>>285952
>Show me the bench saying latest MBP is shit pls.
Right click image and open in new tab.
The MBP has the worst battery life according to reviews and Apple themselves. The i7 MBP is reported for 9 hours, which means 8 in real life. The 13 inch one starts at 7 hours. Yes. Seven. The Air goes for 10h. But lets be hones, who the fuck wants a netbook? And you can't even use that GPU on CAD. Well done. Money well spent. Enjoy your crippled AMD firehouse thanks to the those thin heat pipes. But wait, you don't actually have to worry about that since you won't be getting a dedicated GPU. Only the 15 inch top of the line has one. And it costs $2,500.
>what about ergonomy?
Are you kidding me? You do realize that a MBP does not bend over like a Yoga or a Surface, you can't use it as a tablet to read, it does not have touch input, it has soldered components which means that you can't even upgrade the RAM in the future, so you're stuck with whatever you get now, you can't replace a burnt component by yourself, basically you don't even own the machine, thanks to planned obsolescence.
For even more information, I strongly recommend you check out Louis Rossmann's videos and his opinion on Apple machines. This is only one of them: https://youtu.be/t7XSckjRPo0

Conclusion: only tech illiterate people who don't know how computers work would advocate for a Mac. Enjoy spending premium dollars on a sub par piece of equipment. You really are sheep.
But hey,
>look at these cool flames i painted on my tricycle
>makes all the pre-preschoolers jelly af
>>
>>285962
Dude, stop sperging. Anon was between the MBP, Carbon X1, and XPS 13, none of which have dedicated GPUs. Performance difference between them is negligible since they're all similarly shitty and overpriced. If he wants to run OS X he's better off spending a couple hundred dollars more and buying the MBP than trying to turn a laptop with similar specs into a hackintosh.
As for the 15" models, it's not like the Dell is that much better, you're still paying close to $2k for an i7 with an acceptable amount of RAM and storage space. For that kind of money even a meme gaming notebook like the Razer Blade would be better.
But yeah, for anything that requires a decent GPU I wouldn't recommend a laptop at all.
>>
File: 1475722263902.jpg (304KB, 1200x829px) Image search: [Google]
1475722263902.jpg
304KB, 1200x829px
>>285975
>Dude, show benchmark.
Shows proof.
>Dude, check your autism.
Well, which one is it, 'dude'? Make up your mind.
>If he wants to run OS X he's better off spending a couple hundred dollars more and buying the MBP than trying to turn a laptop with similar specs into a hackintosh.
Everything is explained on tonymac's forum and can be done in less than a day.
>As for the 15" models, it's not like the Dell is that much better, you're still paying close to $2k for an i7 with an acceptable amount of RAM and storage space.
you wot m8?
So you're telling me that upcoming 2016 MBP priced at $2.5k with no HDMI, no DisplayPort, no SD card reader, no MagSafe charger, and only has 4 USB-Cs in terms of connectivity is meant to be for PROfessionals? And it's equal to a lighter Dell with a higher resolution of 3200×1800? Ayyy. Hey goym, just buy from us some more Apple adaptersTM (R) (C). Did you know that Apple has sent out surveys asking people if they still want the headphone jack for the 2017 model? Are you by any chance a cuck? Do you not understand what price/value/performance means?
>For that kind of money even a meme gaming notebook like the Razer Blade would be better.
Please stop giving advice to other people about subjects that you don't know.
>>
File: cuckface.jpg (18KB, 564x736px) Image search: [Google]
cuckface.jpg
18KB, 564x736px
>>285980
>>285962

Hello it's me again >>285952
First of all I'm not that anon >>285975
And I'm not OP either.
I was genuinly asking for a comparison taking account of my own needs as I'm not a hardcore macboy and I'm looking for the best tool available to work.
That said, I have my little habits and preferences when it comes to daily use.

Not being a "tech" guy, I don't really understand all the implications of that pic you just provided, but I can tell that all these models aren't very far appart.
Granted that my 15' early 2013 would be behind.
But thanks for the input, I will take it into account when it's time for me to quit the cuck industry.

As you mentioned, the lack of ports and the evil policies of apple suck but for now I'm driven to MBP's ergonomy (call it habits).
Like I haven't seen a trackpad as smooth as MBP's, I'm used to my glossy screen and every little aspects that make it a non-techguy tool.
But anyway, I wasn't talking about that ergonomy. I meant the OS' ergonomy. Every time I get on windows I can't get my head around its logic. Maybe I'm stupid, maybe it's apple's fault as much as mine.

And I won't get into customizing or hackintosh stuff just as I wouldn't custom my car to improve my driving. I should be able to be a good driver with a car straight from the dealership.

As for premium dollars I bought mine refurbished and a bit older so it wouldn't cost as much as the latest one which I didn't need. So you shouldn't assume all mac users have boners on the latest products just cause we're all hipsters and cucks.

All I can say is I'm a tech-illiterate that gets the job done and it would drive me mad to have to use one of these plastic pieces of crap
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.