[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the point of Indesign

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

File: 776px-Adobe_InDesign_CS5_Icon.png (67KB, 776x768px) Image search: [Google]
776px-Adobe_InDesign_CS5_Icon.png
67KB, 776x768px
Most graphic design jobs specify Adobe Indesign as one of the required programs i need to know. but i've never used Indesign because i do literally everything with Photoshop, is Indesign worth learning? if so whats the point? i have designed magazines, flyers and other in Photoshop just fine.
>>
It's vector based, so it scales infinitely. This means you can resize a logo you made in indesign to put it on a mug or a giant sign without losing quality.
>>
>>282138
The question would be why bother with ID if one has AI? If you have PS then having ID makes sense.
>>
>>282144
I have illustrator as well.
>>
>>282139
Is that the only benefit? So could i just copy and paste photoshop projects into ID so they can be scaled infinitely.
>>
>>282144
Try laying out a 200, 30, or even 8 page document in Illustrator.

It's like asking a photographer why they use Lightroom instead of just doing everything in Photoshop., Different jobs demand different tools.
>>
>>282152
Only vector objects, assuming it would even work (not something i've tried because why the hell would I). But above anon hit the nail on the head—you could design a multipage publication in Illustrator (or you can keep punishing yourself by doing it in PS) but it would be easier and quicker by leaps and bounds to do it in InDesign.
>>
Indesign is for publication design. It allows you to combine raster objects from photoshop and vector objects from illustrator along with large bodies of organized text. You can do that in photoshop and illustrator but indesign makes it a 1000x easier. Plus it's easier to build a consistent look (style) for a publication and maintain a sense of continuity and identity from issue to issue. Don't apply for a job and tell them that you prefer to handle publication design in photoshop because you've done it before. You might get laughed at and won't get a phone call back.
>>
and FYI OP, its a bitch to learn at first (especially if you haven't gone to school) but its worth it. It has so many useful features that save more time than you may think.

Paragraph styles for example. Lets say you were doing a layout where section headings all had to be the same color and size. Instead of going to each individual line of text and applying these attributes, you could preset the settings on one text, save those settings then select and apply them to each one of those headings with just one click. There are also far more superior alignment tools in inDesign.

inDesign provides so much more time saving methods. its really worth learning. not that you really have a choice if you want to pursue a career in graphic design. unless its something photoshop specific only and those jobs are far more competitive and harder to obtain.
>>
>>282164

and just to add onto learning it while not in school- there are a ton of youtube tutorials but there are a shit load of people on there who use tools wrong then make a video about it thinking they are correct. if youre going to go the self taught route I'd suggest lynda to weed out people who think they know how to properly use a tool when really they dont
>>
>>282153
>>282163
>>282164
>>282166
This. InDesign is seriously underrated
>>
>>282164
Also InDesign supports GREP so if you know what you're doing you can automate a large chunk of your work.
>>
>>282138
>i have designed magazines in Photoshop just fine.

I refuse to believe this.
Also see >>282167 and >>282171
>>
File: tumblr_o3h7yldrSc1swb12ko1_1280.jpg (275KB, 1280x813px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3h7yldrSc1swb12ko1_1280.jpg
275KB, 1280x813px
If you end up making anything that you print, like at all, it should go through InDesign. Photoshop and Illustrator are not made to create layouts for anything.

Photoshop- Image manipulation
Illustrator- Creating graphics/type
InDesign- Using those images and graphics.

Just think of it like this, you CAN use a monkey wrench as a hammer AND a wrench. However in the end it would just be better to use a hammer and a wrench.

Attached image uses all programs and a painting I did (also I suck at painting as you can tell)
>>
>>282139
>>282152
Thats illustrator not indesign you fucking idiot.
>>
>>282176
>>
I assumed InDesign was used for high quality/accurate printing. But in terms of it's layout functionality, I can do everything in Photoshop and Illustrator anway so InDesign is a meme/scam.
>>
>>282226
You can do everything in Paint too! Must mean Photoshop and Illustrator are memes and a scam!
>>
>>282226
It's specialized software ya dingus
Even if you can arrive at the same end product with Ps or Ai, why would you put yourself through unnecesary obstacles for the sake of not using Id?
>>
>>282138
>I have designed magazine in Photoshop
Really? Document with a lot of pages must be painful to edit.
>>
>>282138
>magazine in photoshop
kys
>>
>>282226
I feel sorry for your clients.
>>
>>282226

so then keep using the wrong tools and make your life harder than it needs to be. I just hope you don't plan on working for somebody other than yourself.
>>
>>282220
>mockup

Sweet dude, now do the page layout for all 150 pages in PS
>>
>>282163
>Don't apply for a job and tell them that you prefer to handle publication design in photoshop because you've done it before.

The thought of someone actually doing this is hilarious.
>>
My boss refuses to learn InDesign, so instead she does all her layouts in Photoshop via copy/paste - and then often flattens the file. It makes me fucking crazy.
>>
>>282303
That's ridiculous. If my boss expected me to recreate a fucking flattened .jpg for every single page, every single time we started a new project I would quit on the spot.

Either that or just take a stupidly long time and demand OT.
>>
>>282188
in-design does it too you cuck, it just does raster images too.
>>
>>282310
How does that work? You can't resize a raster image to 2000% in ID and think it'll look crisp. You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>282408
Anon's just saying it was made to handle both vector (which it does almost as well as ai) and raster objects not that it scales rasters like a vector it's gonna be ok senpai
>>
File: 128348572955.jpg (35KB, 620x388px) Image search: [Google]
128348572955.jpg
35KB, 620x388px
>mfw my next InDesign job is a 40pg commemorative yearbook for an OHL hockey team

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate InDesign.
>>
>>282138
its good for space management
>>
>>282482
why? It makes page layout a breeze
>>
InDesign is my favorite adobe product ! Enough said
>>
>>282482
Do it in fucking word then
>>
>>282496
>>282507
What I mean is I hate large print jobs. Hating Id is basically just an extension of that.
>>
>>282138
If you've only used Photoshop before, you really shouldn't try to apply to graphic designer jobs.
>>
>>282549
indesign could be learned easily in less than a week...
>>
>>282561
Pagemaker - its predecessor - you could learn THAT in a week. InDesign stole bits of that and Quark and chucked in additional bollocks that no fucker in their right mind would ever use, HTML tools, etc. - it is, and always has been, a non-intuitive mashup of a program.

But ,even if it will take you more than a week, if you want to work in publishing? (And, if you want to work on anything with more than one page, you want to work in publishing) - you NEED InDesign. The problem with not knowing it, established companies have established workflows, and telling them you can do layout in PS just as easy remains unlikely to impress anyone. While you will get laughed at for that, its still better than telling them you can do layouts in illustrator tho - for that, you liable to be physically attacked, and forcibly removed from the building.

Again, nothing stopping you doing flyers and single page shit in PS - want to work on magazines, publishing layouts and shit professionally tho? - learn InDesign, is what its for.
>>
>>282153
this.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (35KB, 271x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
35KB, 271x200px
Linked files in Indesign are the jam. Try having everything embedded in Illustrator and see how fuckin big your file grows. Indesign keeps it nice and neat.
>>
>>282561
good luck fagget
>>
>>282585
I recently had to convert a 500 page Quark file to InDesign. One of many nightmares dealing with that file was that it was supposed to be a one color + black book but whoever originally set it up used two different Pantones or cmyk for what was supposed to be the one color. I can't imagine how much longer this job would have taken if I didn't have the Links panel to tell what color mode and swatches were used for the fuck ton of graphics in the book. God fucking bless the Links panel.
>>
It's absolutely hilarious that some people still can't see why layouts are done with InDesign. You might think that what you're doing in Photoshop is "just fine", but it really isn't.
>>
>>282220
>cont
>ents
>>
>>282138
It's like Combined Arms 2bh familia
>Use photoshop for retouching / manipulating elements
>Use AI for vector elements, buttons, icons etc
>InDesign to compile all the elements and add contents
>>
>>282680

this

to me anybody who wants to do everything in one program is just lazy and that alone will hold you back from surviving if you want to work in this field.
>>
>>282187
what did you do with illustrator one your image ?
>>
>>282138
Oh, honey.
>>
>>282153
I second this.

More specifically, think of all the typesetting functionality that comes with Id: paragraph styles, character styles, find/replace, master pages, etc. The list really goes on and on. Also think about hyperlink capabilities and creating interactive documents.

Just finished a freelance gig and it would have taken me 15+ hours longer (conservatively on a 30 hr job) to finish the gig without it. It will speed up your layout work like a mother fucker.

To me, it's all about how you use the different software in the Adobe repertoire together. Also, just learn it because more jobs. Ya dingus.
>>
>>282166
Yeah find a lynda InDesign tutorial bootleg. They're totally out there. Torrent.
>>
>>282187
"Max Brooks libes..."

Also, I wouldn't indent the synopsis or author copy. And remember to hang your punctuations on the media quotes on the back cover.
>>
>>282602
Yeah, more like a solid five weeks at a not-quite break neck pace. It's complicated and unintuitive at first.
>>
>>282138
If you want to make 50%+ more salary as a UX designer you literally cannot without heavy knowledge of InDesign, there happy now? :P
>>
>>282570
this times 10^23
>>
>>282138
> i do literally everything with Photoshop,
this is literally what me and every other professional designer i know take as a dead sign that we are dealing with an amateur abuzeedo kid.
>>282167
>InDesign is seriously underrated
it is literally the main software in professional settings
>>
got a call yesterday around 10 min before knock off on deadline day saying an image repeated 50+ times in a 70 document needed changing. I just pressed relink to the new image and went home. you would still be at work now LOL
>>
>>283493

nah dude id just copy and paste it 50+ times who needs indesign amirite
>>
>>282138
TEXT EDITING
if you do it on microsoft word or illustrator, you're a fucking pleb.

/thread
>>
>>282482
>complains about 40 pages

Come back when you regularly have to make catalogues with up to 100+ pages.
>>
>>282138
>>283794
plus, let say you got a 300 pages book project and you gotta edit a small illustration on the bottom right corner of 263 of those 300 pages... are you sincerly gonna edit 263 pages one by one??
>>
>>283870
I would if I got paid hourly.
>>
>>282187
This
>>
>>282265
You do know you can export the pages from an .indd file and set them up in a mockup to show functionality.
This board is literally 12yr olds who think they know the adobe suite because they stole photoshop cs5.
>>
>>283886
You're a fucking moron with 0 reading comprehension.
>>
>>282139
shut the fuck up
>>
>>283493
Heh, I've made that phone call before at 4am on a Saturday. Some people get so cranky at a situation they've put themselves into when it could have taken 20mins to fix. If somebody tells me it's going to take 50 billion hours in PS to fix it I give no fucks. I'm working night shift anyway and if you want your stuff printed and delivered by start of business Monday you need to fix it soon or approve printing as is.
>>
>>284079
What kind of print shop do you work at? Are you knowledgeable about printing methods? Serious question.
>>
>>282482
Someone who clearly hasn't learned to use Master pages or paragraph styles in InDesign. 40 pages is nothing, stop whining and learn the fucking program.
>>
Quote " Indesign worth learning? if so whats the point? i have designed magazines, flyers and other in Photoshop just fine."

100 idiot points ...

1000 idiot points because they are "Just Fine"
>>
>>282138
If youre making a booklet, book or something with multiple pages, PLEASE learn and use ID. I did for my final project at univeristy last year and my research booklet was fucking infinitely better than anyone elses because I gave a shit and learned ID.

Learn about bleeds, page numbering, print colour types, its SO FUCKING USEFUL LIKE SERIOUSLY
>>
>>282153
This.
I used to think InDesign was useless till I laid out a 60 plus double page layout book using it.
I would still be doing it now if I was using Photoshop or Illustrator.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.