[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

up /gd/ I had a quick question for you all. I'm not a graphic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: 150686d.jpg (32KB, 698x400px) Image search: [Google]
150686d.jpg
32KB, 698x400px
up /gd/

I had a quick question for you all. I'm not a graphic designer by trade, but i've done a fair amount of the graphic design for my marketing firm. It works for what I do, but I don't always have the time to bust this stuff out at my preferred quality.

so i recently hired a contractor to do about 10-15 hrs of work for me a week and they're alright. they get most of the work i need from them done. but they refuse to share their PSDs. I never stipulated that in the contract, but i'm paying a pretty healthy rate (35/hr) and not only is it taking a long time for basic work to be done (fliers that already have their assets and color palette), but they refuse to give me PSDs so that small adjustments (usually things like changing a word or two, resizing or changing the aspect ratio).

If I could count on them to turn things around on a dime i wouldn't care, but they don't respond quickly all the time. I realize I'm not their only client, but if they would just hand over the PSDs when they didn't have time it would make my life way easier.

Am i wrong for wanting that?

would it be a bad idea to stipulate that our graphic designer hand over their PSDs the next time i sign a contract?
>>
>>279340
>Am i wrong for wanting that?
I know how you feel, you aren't, but it's taking bread out of your contractors mouth

>would it be a bad idea to stipulate that our graphic designer hand over their PSDs the next time i sign a contract?
It's a very good idea. Your contractor is in his full right not to hand over the PSDs to you. I did this once with an InDesign file and they went way out and wild with it. Eventually they didn't even extend my one-year-contract.

buying a PSD file VS hiring a designer
>>
Unless in the contract he doesn't have to do anything. Be specific about what the contractor is supposed to deliver. Also be clear about who owns the final copyright of the work produced and what is allowed to do with it (for example the designer may showcase it in his portfolio but not reuse for another client).
This will be a good lesson for you and others on /gd/ to never omit details.
>>
>>279341
I> know how you feel, you aren't, but it's taking bread out of your contractors mouth

i totally get this, but we're talking minor changes here that require a 24+ turn around time which is fucking unworkable. Even then I would be pissed if they tried to charge me a full hour for the tweaks i'm asking for, they're changes that take a couple minutes top when you have the full PSD

>It's a very good idea. Your contractor is in his full right not to hand over the PSDs to you. I did this once with an InDesign file and they went way out and wild with it. Eventually they didn't even extend my one-year-contract.

I've totally heard of that sort of thing, but this is a situation where i've literally provided all the assets, it's not even design, its layout and i pay a lot of money for it, and somehow they feel like i'm fucking them over when they can't even turn around a 15 minute edit in the same day.

i'm definitely gonna put a PSD stipulation in the next contract. especially if i'm giving them the assets
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.