[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup, /gd/. This post is a plea, not for me but for a friend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

Sup, /gd/.

This post is a plea, not for me but for a friend.

Imagine for a second that you were raised by a psychopathic mother in the ghetto of a city. You were sexually assaulted by someone you'd never met before you were ten. You ran away from home when you turned 15 to live with your dad because you couldn't take the abuse. You suffered through a shitty relationship because you still saw the good in that person, only to eventually come to your senses and end it. You were told by your stepmom that you weren't part of the family and that you would turn out a failure.

Do you think you could still do graphic design and be fantastic at it?

Maybe some of you draw to escape that harsh reality. There's a peace which comes through the creation of art which can quell and soothe pain. Today, I ask you, complete strangers, to help out a good friend achieve what she wants: to give her shitty life a giant middle finger and pursue her dream of a PhD in a design-related field.

I've been a lurker (and occasional poster) for about seven years across this website (and no, I'm not proud of that). I've seen these posts succeed and fail. It's strange being on the other side of the asking-for-help fence, but it's impossible not to jump over when you have a friend so desperate for help.

It would mean the world to her if you could give her anything at all. She's quite an amazing designer and has been told she has a place at a graduate school whenever she chooses to apply. However, since she can't afford to attend, she can't apply yet.

The link below is her GoFundMe page. If you want to make an impact in the life of a graphic designer, this is one incredible way.

Thank you.

https www gofundme com/2gpkn8pd

Picture always related.
>>
this is quite an awkward post, and initially came off as a troll. but about halfway down, i kinda broke down and thought of my own misfortunes.

the same thoughts continue to haunt me, rip at me, and never will these thoughts truly evaporate.

a lot of people have shitty lives behind their silly/elitist /gd posts, but it never hurts to reach out to people who are kinda "suffering" in a way that is not FWP emo kid or "cutter" culture.

i'll be completely honest, i've been abused in every way possible, totally humiliated, bullied--emotionally/mentally/physically--even by my birth family. point, they can all go fuck themselves, and forever shall their souls be caught in eternal revenge karma.

^ being treated like utter SHIT does leave a permanent scar.

more often than not, traumatic pasts/PTSD conflicts with my work. so what did i do with it? i flipped darkness in on itself, went a different path of the visual world--one that focuses on the audience that fits my age group (people that understand humor from horror, bad adult situations, etc. i make so much fun of it to entertain myself that it hurts.

but focusing on minute details in each "piece" really can lead to visually damaging the villainous subjects, turn them into figurative fodder. it really is a coping mechanism to have illustration on the side, where there is freedom to draw out negative crap and destroy it with your pen/stylus/whatever...and keep that separate from actual paid projects.

gd is not really a coping mechanism, but sideline illustration is. not to be confused. if your friend has issues that are not gd/d-general related, encourage against intermingling the two, or the design life will be a living hell; ya never want the two to co-exist, or no money will be earned from clients that are not demographic-aimed. from personal experience, i went through a hellish depression and it took nothing but courage to face the fears head-on. if that makes sense.
>>
WHOA DAT TL:DR took me to another level of copypaste...

continued:

btw, there is no real thing called PhD in graphic design, unless you want to sell your soul to school loans/debts...and all that time wasted while in college can cripple her professional job-life. << also real-life experience. a BFA is more than enough, but that is no longer necessary because ppl that are fresh out of high school can earn more work xp and not get consumed with college garbage filler classes that, in the long run, are meaningless. most shit is freelance, anyway :p

was that in any way helpful, OP? i don't support online funding to someone i don't even know personally or even if the story checks out as design-related at all. someone who is "graced" with fundraised money does not necessarily succeed, but helping out real life problems goes a longer way.

think of that saying about teaching the man to fish than the fish being given and nothing is learned or gained by being given free handouts.
>>
>>279045
OP here.

Thanks for the great reply. It's awkward, to be sure, but I'm stuck right now. I also don't necessarily agree with asking for money in this manner, but it's not my life, so who am I to say how she gets her legal cash, right? That being said, I really want to help in some way beyond friendship, hence this post.

You make great points, especially regarding mingling personal pain with your profession. It's so difficult to separate pain from what you want your career to be sometimes, especially when you love what you do. Pain can be so controlling sometimes. It can force you to make poor decisions. I know she still hurts every day, and maybe she just wants it to stop for even a little bit.

Though you may not be looking for sympathy from an anonymite, I do offer it. I'm so sorry to hear you were treated so shittily. It's so easy to take a stable, relatively healthy family dynamic for granted.

Regarding the free handouts, I agree that people shouldn't be given everything. However, that does assume the person has been given some in the past. I don't know another person that would be more deserving of some kindness in her life, especially when she seems incredibly depressed and still taken advantage of by her family members (her sister stole her credit card for a $300 spending spree, and her parents refused to help her). The only reason she puts up with them is because they let her live in their house for the time being. She needs the money to begin to try to become independent of them.

I really do thank you for your post. It's given me some perspective to look at her situation with. My goal is to continue to be a good friend, whatever that may entail. I wish you only the best. Pain sucks, and having been scarred from a horrible relationship lasting a bit over a year, I can't begin to imagine what a lifetime of pain can do to a person.
>>
>>279046
>>279094
I should also add that this isn't a troll. It's impossible to verify, and you may remain understandably skeptical, but this is really someone in need.
>>
>>279003
I wish your friend the best of luck, but the cold, hard reality of it is that a PhD in Design does not automatically mean she'll land a great job.

And where's the link to her portfolio? I would like to see her work before I make up my mind whether to help or not.
>>
File: Netflix-48.png (743B, 48x48px) Image search: [Google]
Netflix-48.png
743B, 48x48px
meh, sounds like a great movie. all the best .....
(I will give it money when I get a job as a Grphc Dsgner. studied 10years and over 30,000 dollars on latest certs&qualifications STILL NO JOB. I think those that earn it,deserve it. not the broken getn it free.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.