[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GD essential skillsets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: __(5).gif (248KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
__(5).gif
248KB, 250x238px
Just how much shit does a graphic designer have to know these days to make it in the industry?

Everywhere I look job descriptions ask for more than what most schools teach you. Skills such as web design and I'm not talking just drawing a pretty layout I mean actual coding and front end web design. Many go as far as 3D motion graphics and 3D modeling. There is way too much overlap in the industry and I feel like some of these skillsets are better handled by people who focused on such skills as vfx/web design/3D artists/programmers.

Are they justified? I often feel so unprepared for the grueling demands from these companies which leave me confused as to what I should focus on learning. What does /gd/ think are the essentials and what is crossing the line in terms of requirements?
>>
You don't want to work for people who request all those things.
>>
>>277800
make some friends through specializing you dumb frogposter
>>
>>277858
But what's a good path to specialize? This isn't about making connections, connections are essential in any job/field.
>>
>>277800
>>
>>277876
Thanks! Helps clarify things a lot but still doesn't explain why companies ask for so much more other than filling multiple rolls with a single employee.
>>
>>277878
They have an incentive to bid the number of skills upwards and you have an incentive to bid it downward.
>>
>>277878 >>277880 >>277876

the thing is that for being "good" (not even great) at any of those you'll need to know a lot of things first. for example is useful to know about things like cameras/photography related stuff, photo manipulation/composition, color theory, layout/grids, typography, drawing/anatomy, gif/video related stuff, 3d/animations/motion graphics, vector illustrations, ux/dataviz, programming/web dev, etc.

here's more /gd/ infographics

https://mega.nz/#F!i9ciHBYA!S3VtKbo5M5hzLF3TKw_j4g

https://mega.nz/#F!DptDTDKJ!o6_dHdwfYaOHNhJPiD7ZdA
>>
>>277892
This. I actually go back into learning the basic principles of lighting for photography for my 3D project in order to make a good scene. It's all related
>>
>>277943
Yeah but is 3D modeling a Graphic Design must? Sure the core principles are all connected and to get better at something you must have a solid understanding of other fields/principles but do are your skills in 3D modelling relevant or required in your graphic design work?
>>
>>277944
If you work on motion graphics, yes it would be very useful. You know, those trendy infographics that you see
https://vimeo.com/47802965
>>
File: 1322796219001.png (65KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
1322796219001.png
65KB, 500x382px
>>277800

>architect that learning 3ds max
>>
That seems like the standard HR fuckup. They dont understand this shit, so when someone from the company comes to HT and ask for a new 2D graphic, web designer and 3D graphic, HR just puts it into a single demand. Chance is they need 3 people insteaf of 1 super person, but as a result of them being uneducated they get 0 people
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.