[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Graphic Design Jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

How do you go about getting a graphic design job?
More specifically, where should I search?

I recently had a job for 10 months as a Junior Graphic designer / Artworker for a small firm in the middle of England.
I was made redundant since most of our customer work revolved around Oil and when that tanked our work dried up, so I got let go.

I've been out of work for a month now and applied for jobs in all the obvious places, indeed, monster, linkedin, etc. but had no comments back.

How do you guys get jobs ?
>obligatory stock image
>>
>>277127
I slave away on freelance platforms. But I live in a third world country, so I'm not as pressured as you are for the monthly income. The short (and only) answer to your question is networking. There's no other solution. Design is hard to measure, which makes it hard to prove your abilities to potential employers, meaning entry and progression can be difficult.
>>
File: luck.jpg (71KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
luck.jpg
71KB, 500x334px
I got lucky, I was looking for a new job and just networking while I was out with friends on weekends did some people point me to a place that was hiring... This was ~3 years ago, and at that time I was doing a lot of looking online and getting no results.

A lot of people have told me to investigate agencies, who review your portfolio/resume and source you out, but I haven't tried that yet -- thinking about doing that soon when I leave this job.
>>
get a real job you lazy millenial
>>
>>277127
I was running low on money my final year of college, so I ended up giving a man a blowjob when my portfolio fell out of my bag. He looked at the first item and instantly finished. Afterward, we looked at it together and he was thoroughly amazed. He was starting a business so he offered me a job and, a year later, helped me set up a freelancing contract in return for two blowjobs. Im not gay, albeit I didn't have money at the time because I spent it all on tuition and creative cloud.
>>
>>277127
"middle of england"

There's your problem.

London > Manchester > maybe bristol.

Pick one
>>
File: Cuck.jpg (36KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
Cuck.jpg
36KB, 500x334px
>>277203
Bro I got the same tattoo!
>>
>>277257
Bro you are gay as fuck.
>>
>>277278
>Bro you are gay as fuck.
Nobody would say he's Mexican if he ate tacos everyday, yet he's now gay because he got his business started by giving a few blowjobs?

That don't make no sense.
>>
>>277334
You don't get to work at a taco stand by eating tacos you silly anon!
>>
>>277268

OP Here.

Story of my fucking life

Its going to have to be one or the other isn't it.
>>
>>277131
Third world /gd/ amateur here, would you mind sharing which platfroms and realistic average monthly income?
>>
I don't know why but when I started very rarely I'd get interviews because I got barely any responses when I sent my CV.

So I set up a website with a few svg animations, my cv, portfolio, etc. And suddenly I started getting responses and tons of interviews. From never getting a call back I got the job in the first interview I got.

So my advice is just get a website, it's fancy and stuff.
>>
>>277776
How do you host it/ did you design it all yourself?
>>
>>277779
You pay for the domain and the hosting, I use hostgator. It's like 40$ per year or less, don't remember too well. I used a wordpress theme and modified the css and stuff.
>>
>>277780
Alright, thanks, looking into it now. Is there any other way to design the front end of a website other than editing an existing theme?
>>
>>277783
The easiest way is editing a theme.

The another is way making one yourself. I still haven't done a big project on my own, but for those pages I use a framework like boostrap/foundation so it can be responsive and stuff, then I'd use sass or less framework for styling, then Jquery and Javascript for functionality and animations.

If you google learn code academy youtube you'll find a channel that pretty much has all of that good stuff.
>>
>>277783
If you have a CC subscription you should check out Adobe Muse. You don't have to touch a single line of code and have complete control of every aspect of the appearance of your website, plus you can easily add scroll effects and design it to be responsive. If you have the time it's a good learning experience and will let you get a website that looks exactly how you want it to.
>>
>>277637
Yes. Its fun here.
>>
>>277842

Are you able to import and modify themes onto muse? I though Dreamweaver was used for websites.
Sorry if I appear like a total retard but im being overwhelmed learning illustrator and indesign as it is so im too occupied to learn about another adobe product
>>
>>277842
>If you have a CC subscription you should check out Adobe Muse. You don't have to touch a single line of code and have complete control of every aspect of the appearance of your website, plus you can easily add scroll effects and design it to be responsive. If you have the time it's a good learning experience and will let you get a website that looks exactly how you want it to.

Tools like Adobe Muse and Dreamweaver agre good for quick prototyping, but if you want to incorporate those designs into say, a Wordpress theme, you HAVE to know code.
>>
>>277127
Have you tried emailing design studios you admire/want to work with? Connections?

That's what I did, so far it worked but that's all right place right time sort of thing.
>>
>>277127
Have you tried some different field in graphic design than just logo creation and shit? Phone app market is currently booming and user interface designer are getting more importance. Look into that.
>>
>>277637
Nah man, Leeds is an option too. Great place with a nice creative scene blowing up
>>
>>277637
You could have worked in any city in the EU, if only you had voted stay :)
>>
>>278309
you can still work abroad like you can work in pretty much any country
>>
>>277842
I never understand how I'm supposed to take Muse. Do jobs ask you to use Muse to make sites or what? If I'm still using a browser/text editor html/css combo, is that outdated and looked down upon?
>>
>>278046
>>278392

I designed my whole website in Muse because:
a) A project in college was to do so
b) I have no idea how to use code
c) Wanted full control of how my website looked while not having to learn code or use a template

Coding is the preferred method by employers and in general, but Muse is a great way to make a creative website without knowing how to code. The code Muse spits out is not optimized for SEO etc.
>>
I've also wanted to create a portfolio website for myself—and while I don't have any problems with designing it in Photoshop, I still haven't advanced past the short HTML lessons. While CSS is said to be easy, the amount of time needed to learn, understand, and finally be able to use the JavaScript notions into real life is colossal. So many frameworks (which constantly change and update) and libraries, then learn a CMS, probably WordPress since it's free, spend a great deal of time learning how to secure it since PHP is a mess in regards to privacy, and voilà, a few months of frustration and "why doesn't this work" have passed. Surely, you don't have to go so deep with the tutorials, but at the same time, I'm not satisfied with a basic Bootstrap theme like every website out there.
tl;dr I'm also considering a WYSIWYG editor since I can't afford a front-end developer right now, even though I'm aware of the low-quality code output and limited possibilities. I'm still undecided between Muse (no extra money) and Webflow (a bit pricey, but I'm also stingy if that wasn't obvious).
>>
>>277247
I like your sincerity. Take this wallpaper that I did now.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.