[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi fellas, I have graduated from mechanical engineering, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_2981.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2981.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hi fellas,

I have graduated from mechanical engineering, but i want to be a concept artist for film and game industry.

I am an average user of photoshop, doing drawings and clay sculpting and i can say i am above average.

Is there any school in Europe that you can reccomend me? Please consider that my background is not art related at all. Some people told me it is better to start working as an intern in a company than spending money on a school.

Whats your suggestions?

Thanks bros.

pic related, Thrall bust that i am currently working on.
>>
wrong board go to /ic/

this field you looking to work in is extremly overrun. there are millions with top knowledge of common software and creative skill begging for money. but if its your dream try it.
start for your own getting handy with the softwares. i think you shouldnt waste time and money for school. if youre good you will make it yourself. if not then no school will help you anyway
>>
>>274257

I thought this "overrun" situation goes for the illustration. Not conceptual design.

Thanks for the reply anyway.
>>
>>274234
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMjnnUF3eJFeh8q3N8kGhfc58CDubQRZA
>>
>>274269
>https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMjnnUF3eJFeh8q3N8kGhfc58CDubQRZA

I have heard of this program, most of the 3D character modeling jobs done in this software. I think it is one of the stuff i need to learn.
>>
>>274234
Fellow sculptorfag here. Get some decent tools mate, this looks like you scored it with a toothpick.

Forms are getting decent though. Plasticine?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>274610
I am using Cernit clay Porcelain end. It is a little bit hard to work with but in Athens you cannot find good clay like Monster clay in US or any wax based ones.

But you can cook it in kitchen oven lots of times, which i am using after the base and its easier to enter details on a solid base.

And this is my sculpting tools, sometimes i build my own tools with guitar strings but theres none here.
>>
File: sculpt.jpg (406KB, 1106x698px) Image search: [Google]
sculpt.jpg
406KB, 1106x698px
>>274671
I usually go with low-fire white. Or I did while I had access to a kiln. Gonna try out some Sculpy this weekend.

Never used guitar string, but my go-to for fine scoring is a sewing needle attached to a pencil. Something I've always done to get clean lines so take the tip of whatever I'm using to score and lay it into the clay at a harsh angle, and drag the tip through the clay like a paintbrush instead of digging into it. You still get a fine line, but without the little bits left to clean up.

Got any other work? Sculptors don't often come into /ic/, and you're literally the only other one I've seen on /gd/.
>>
And I don't know about you, but this shit gets me hard as a rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnqFdSa5p7w
>>
File: IMG-20140510-00848.jpg (649KB, 1168x1568px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20140510-00848.jpg
649KB, 1168x1568px
>>274694
Thanks a lot man, actually it is my first clay sculpture. Before that i used green stuff for sculpting, which was fun, but shit is lots of expensive.I had to import from US. I have done Cthulhu and Odin with that.

And now i am making my own figure in a StarCraft - Warhammer 40000 armor.
>>
File: IMG_2313.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2313.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>274713
And those are Thor and Odin. early work obviously. But working with clay is a lot easier than this sticky shit. Its maybe only good for detailing, thats it.

I will try the needle thing for sure, and another tool that i need is a ball edged tool, its required for organic textures, currently i am using the other edge of my brush.

And btw, i dip the brush in some alcohol and clean the clay sculpture, it fixes the little effects like fingerprints and stuff, and easily remove the little pieces you dont need.
>>
File: texture.jpg (146KB, 454x454px) Image search: [Google]
texture.jpg
146KB, 454x454px
>>274716
I'll have to try the alcohol thing out, it's the first time I've ever head of it. If you ever get back to a kiln and you want an old weathered stone look, after the first firing hit your sculpt with a coat of woodstain. Skip the second firing, obviously. I used that on the sculpt of the soldier with a mouth for a head, and it really gets all your texture and detail to pop.

Speaking of texture, hang on to little squares of rough fabric, plastic mesh, (vinyl imitation leather works well for skin), basically anything thin and flexible with an interesting texture and drape it over your clay. Lightly smooth it on with soft brush. Doing this saved me hours of tedious work on the jacket and probably gave me a much better result than trying to do it all with tools.
>>
>>274716
You've got a good eye for proportion, btw. If you don't make your way into gaming, you shouldn't have a problem getting into some FX studio.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>274849
Thanks mate, i think i am getting better by practice. I think i will have some fundamental classes while building a proper portfolio.

This is the clay apply on a cooked clay porcelain finish. I will paint and add some leds in the sculpture for lights.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>274855
Another one.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.