[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard is it to get caught using a font you didn't pay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1986-26-287.jpg (232KB, 1500x1184px) Image search: [Google]
1986-26-287.jpg
232KB, 1500x1184px
How hard is it to get caught using a font you didn't pay for in commercial use?

What's that entire process like? Do you just say fuck it and use whatever?
>>
Also with fonts like helvetica neue what are the guidelines of where it can/can't be used
>>
>>270482
It's more than 50 years old so fuck em
guy who created helvetica is dead
its so popular no one gives a fuck

just dont go and use some unique trend font from 2016 without paying because you could get caught out.

The classic fonts are all pretty much open for use
>>
just make your own fonts
>>
>>270675
Don't ever do this unless you are REALLY fucking good or work as a typographer.
>>
>>270481

Depends. For a tiny job, one off thing (like an album cover or poster series, etc), you'll probably be fine.

For bigger projects, websites, books, etc, you should be pretty careful. If it's helvetica or something similar, people will probably not give a fuck, but for fonts like circular, brandon grotesque or whatever, you can get fucked in the ass. It's not often, but not worht the risk.

Also, remember that people make their money creating fonts, just like you make your money doing design. Fucking them over influences how people see design, ie and the value of (y)our work in the long run.

If you do a job for someone, it's they who have to pay for the font to use it (for books, websites, etc), so it shouldn't be a problem for you either way. The studio I work for generally share fonts freely (within the studio of course) for sketching, butalways make sure the client pays for the font that they decide to go with in the end, thereby making sure the legal shit is good and that the creators of the font get their pesos.
>>
>>270685
>make sure the client pays for the font that they decide to go with

Fucking.

This.

/thread.
>>
>>270685
>>270692

lol, except... "Fucking them over" as you are referring to it as, isn't even anywhere near the description of "fucking them over". Wanna be strict with your font as a font creator? Don't upload it to DAFONT with a "plz only use for personnal lol". You want it to stay exclusive, then don't give it out - also simultaneously realize that fonts are never going to be secure and you should just fucking accept that it WILL BE USED ALWAYS, FOREVER, FUCKING DEAL WITH IT. You jackasses with your holier than thou bullshit "my studio" dickery, lmao. If the creator of the font wants their "pesos" they will no share it as public domain.

Fucking.

This.

eat shit.
>>
>>270719
Angry teen with no perception of typography detected.
>>
>>270719

What are you talking about? I'm not talking about the useless shit that you find at dafont, I'm talking about actual good quality fonts that you obviously have to pay to get your hands on unless you torrent that shit.
>>
>>270719 are you lost? why are you here. It's so obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about. Get to class, stop smoking weed, get your life together.
>>
On a side-note, is it possible for someone to investigate if a .psd file came from a real subscriber or a pirated version of the software, or plug-in? I've looked over the document properties, but I think that other than an Adobe employee who has access to their database, nobody can determine if it's legit or not, right?
>>
>>271343
> is it possible for someone to investigate if a .psd file came from a real subscriber or a pirated version of the software, or plug-in?
No.
Unless you are dumb enough to use a badly cracked plug-in that leaves a watermark.
>>
>>270481
If the font is older than 3-5 years, you should be fine.

If you get called on it, just be like "Oh man, I had my licence files on my old computer. I'd be happy to pay for the font in full right now. I'm terribly sorry, I feel embarrassed by my record-keeping."

Most people who make good fonts just want to be paid for their work; they don't want to go to court or anything.

But if this is for a professional studio, just buy the damn font first and charge the client.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.