[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Website design

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: snap1.png (1MB, 1275x3241px) Image search: [Google]
snap1.png
1MB, 1275x3241px
So, I'm making some news portal (for myself, actually it was supposed to be just a Wordpress blog for a course, anyway I'm making a whole theme from scratch).

I would just want to get some feedback because I was playing with a design and CSS too much, I changed things a lot.

So, I'm interested about your opinions on a design and a page structure. My favourite page is this one in the OP, the review page. The second one will be a page that lists all of the posts from a specific category and I wanted to go with a pinterest style at first, but changed it a little so I have all the cards of a same height. Also, what do you think of a dark background instead of a white (at least just for this page)? I was just testing it and am not sure which one is better, but I feel that it will break a consistency if I have one page light and the other dark.

Also, just wondering if the "card" design of a posts is fine. I tried to be a contrarian and choose a different path but I returned to this design.

The third image will be the main page, but I'm still working on it, not sure if the posts are too big, especially on the sidebar. Also, I still have to fix my design on card posts.
>>
File: snap2.png (1MB, 1275x1476px) Image search: [Google]
snap2.png
1MB, 1275x1476px
Review category page
>>
File: snap3.png (766KB, 1275x680px) Image search: [Google]
snap3.png
766KB, 1275x680px
Front page
>>
Yeah, and also, there are still small things everywhere I need to fix, e.g. a typography.

And I was testing a design of the title of the posts in the sidebar so it is inconsistent at the moment. Not sure if I should go with a clean look with blue links, or, like in the third picture, white links with a black background.

Actually, I'd appreciate a recommendation of a good serif italic font for the quote in the header.
>>
>>262647
the front page is nice, but the black boxes with titles under the thumbnails just look off. try some different fonts with that.

the review categories page is dumping a lot of information onto the viewer. try structuring it more heirarchically, like the front page, by adding more visual importance to more recent reviews (make it bigger). and maybe play with the layout of the thumbnails, because that big grid of images is a little jarring. think Pinterest layout.

the review page looks nice. on the quote overlay, tweak with the font, it looks a little off, but i think that might just be your system's rendering.
>>
>>262667
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I'll change the quote font for sure. I guess I'll probably remove the black background from the titles on the sidebar and just add left aligned blue links + info.
About the category page - I wanted to show all of the posts the same, in a grid similar to pinterest, but I agree that there is too much information. Especially when I take a step back or see that thumbnail, it's a mess. I'll play with the amount of posts per row and spacing, maybe 4 posts per row would be better. And I guess I'll remove the dark background, when I look at it on my phone the design kinda doesn't work.
>>
>>262669
design is all iterative. take the best from each attempt and eventually you'll have a really great site.

best of luck
>>
>>262670
Thanks.
>>
>>262645
ditch that YMB stripes
>>
>>262644
This was made using css? Damn, I need to get back to studying it. It looks really nice
>>
>>262644
Shrink the giant ass top image. Why does everyone do that? It's fine if business and news sites use them, as they get the reader interested. But if it's not either of the above and also the front page of your site, then fucking drop it. It works to get people interested, but it's fucking horrible for retention.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.