[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what are some good resources (books, dvds, youtube) to learn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1436246981213.jpg (149KB, 784x811px) Image search: [Google]
1436246981213.jpg
149KB, 784x811px
what are some good resources (books, dvds, youtube) to learn graphic design?

I don't want to go to college and would rather self learn.
>>
>>261499
read the sticky, lurk moar.
>>
>>261499
How about you try a technical school instead?
not nearly as long, demanding, or expensive as college but will net the same results
>>
>>261540
Is it not possible to learn from books and achieve a similar knowledge?
>>
>>261620
That's a thought one to answer.

I'm sure there are self taught designers but there will be more educated one, whose better I couldn't possible answer.
>>
>>261620

its possible, I think it just depends on the person. I personally prefer learning through school. Before I started college, all I knew was photoshop. And for the most part everything I knew how to do I soon learned I was doing the long, more complicated way. Now I have a strong grasp on photoshop, illustrator, indesign and a little bit of dreamweaver. the deadlines of assignments, incentive of grades and criticism from my teachers has helped me a lot.
>>
>>261499
>>261620
graphic design is not a technical field, it' a... design field. You can learn all the software in two months and all the principles in two weeks. But like all art degrees, it's peer reviews and exposure to other's work and that will ultimately make you a good designer.

Not that you can't get those things outside of college. But learning design by yourself (in a literal sense) is silly and won't work.
>>
Take courses on Lynda.com.

I learned more about logo design from Von Glitschka's course than I did from my college courses (which is pretty fucking sad, desu)
>>
>>261712
but anon, school doesnt teach you to do stuff, it just encourages you to research and compete with your school buddies to impress green haired marginal graphic students, this anon will probably bore to death while you took it slowly learning layers and stuff
>>
>>261707
This is true.

That being said, I wasn't talking about learning adobe suite - anyone can do that, but about learning the art of gd from good books. Watching, analysing and reading about graphic design can surely be possible without a school. The only problem is that you don't get professional feedback and competition that way, but it is always possible to get both of it on the internet.

I don't know if it is even worth it for me to study it hard because I'm not really a gd student and I am already spreading myself too thin because I'm interested in a lot of things (and also because I study multimedia) - learning web design, development, CS, screenwriting, video editing, photography, music composition and production and graphic design - in short I am an incredible retard that can't help myself at the moment.

Web design and dev is a bigger part of my studies so knowing more about design for web would be benefical. We learned theory and did almost nothing practical in those courses, so if you guys maybe have some good literature for at least a web design part of /gd/, I'd appreciate it.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.