[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I have a kind of urgent question so I'd really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Untitled-1.png (8KB, 331x176px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
8KB, 331x176px
Hey guys, I have a kind of urgent question so I'd really appreciate your help.

I'm temporarily limited to a PC with the Adobe CS3 suite, and as far as I can tell Photoshop can't handle anything more than 3.2 gigs of ram.
Is this due to the antiquity of the version, which in turn means that updating to a newer version will allow me to utilize at least 8gb of ram? Or is the only solution setting a new scratch disk with plenty of free space?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>259617
I believe that is standard for software in 32bit windows.
>>
>>259620
I'm working on 64bit Windows 7.
Photoshop itself is 32bit, but I don't think that would affect RAM management, since that's the OS' job.

Do the more recent suites also come in 64bit?
>>
>>259622
http://www.zdnet.com/article/clearing-up-the-3264-bit-memory-limit-confusion/

looks like it's actually 4gb limit, but adobe had limited it to 3.2 for some reason.

But yes, a 64bit version of photoshop will allow more ram usage. I think 64bit didn't come until CS4 or CS5.

Why do you need more than that anyway? Unless you are doing Billboards or Tradeshow graphics everyday, there really isn't much of a need for that much ram. Even then, there are many ways around that when working on graphics that size...I used to do that stuff with computers when 1gb was top of the line.
>>
>>259623
It just struck me as odd that, when I tried to up the resolution of a file full of vector smart objects (just turning it from A4 to A3 size), it there wasn't enough memory to do so, even though I could see that there were 4gbs of free memory on task manager.
Then I noticed that the C drive, which was also set as the scratch disk, was nearly empty since PS was taking up so much space on it.

I guess my problem is that I don't really understand how scratch disks work and why there is even a need for them as long as you have plenty of RAM to work with.

Setting D as my scratch disk which has a lot more free space should do the trick, but it just seemed wrong to me having to do that. So I turned to you guys in case there was an issue of handling memory by the program itself.

> there are many ways around that when working on graphics that size

Such as?
>>
>>259624
if you have multiple drives (not partitions), you should set the scratch disk to a drive other than the startup drive. I don't think that will help your issue because scratch disk is mostly used for your history.

Seems like the amount of rasterizing that has to take place for resize the entire document is the problem. Try giving photoshop less to render in one process... change the canvas size to what you want then manually resize each part. Or start flattening those smart objects.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.