[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /gd/, what's the trend where a typeface gets crammed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: 483256.jpg (13KB, 248x209px) Image search: [Google]
483256.jpg
13KB, 248x209px
Hey, /gd/, what's the trend where a typeface gets crammed into a square or rectangle called?

I want to be able to complain about it when it doesn't work and is a mess, just as this picture...but I don't know how to describe it succinctly.
>>
>>257310
slab serif?
>>
>>257311
I'm not looking for the typeface style, idiot. I'm referring to how the letters of the entire word are split into three diferent lines.
>>
File: Macchiato.png (324KB, 2550x2550px) Image search: [Google]
Macchiato.png
324KB, 2550x2550px
I can't believe I had to make an example myself, but here; it's like if you broke up the word macchiato like this.
>>
>>257314
Nice. 8/10
>>
>>257314
And I don't think it has a name. If it did, it would just be called '(guy how invented it's last name) Design'.

If I was to call it anything it would just be a Letter Grid, just like an early project first term GD course.
>>
>>257324
Thanks. Good to know that all of my speed design drills from the past few years have made it easier to make stuff on the fly.

>>257325
Ah. I've noticed that this has been a trend lately, and I know that other recent trends like hipster banner logos are easier to describe. I may just call it a letter grid or something. (Never had to do one in all of my graphic design education, surprisingly. Did more stuff with Swiss grid systems and entire page layouts.)

The thing is, I actually think this style's not that bad if the word isn't broken up into something that makes you pause to figure out what the word even says...like if you had the words "Big Bad Dog" or something that fits your grid...or fiddling with typeface sizes so each word in the grid has its own line but it's still in a square shape...but I've seen so many instances where it's disgustingly illegible that it really, really irks me.

Even one of the business cards from my weekend job has this shit, and it looks bad, because it tries to cram "Got a minute?" into a tiny square really badly. And I legit dislike the Supercell logo for the same reason.
>>
File: 20_06.jpg (31KB, 469x666px) Image search: [Google]
20_06.jpg
31KB, 469x666px
>>257330
Samuel Burgess Johnson use it all the time kinda reminds me of that word search puzzle/newspaper crossword puzzles.
https://www.boatloadpuzzles.com/playcrossword
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.