[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help with first webpage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1353998573148.gif (856KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1353998573148.gif
856KB, 320x240px
Alright guys. So I have done graphic design for years now since before high school. I took a year and a half in college for it but didnt finish out due to financial issues. I'm now working at this pretty nice coffee shop that just opened up and theyre working on a webpage. They asked me to help them work on it and I think this is my first opportunity outside of high school to do what I really love doing and even better than expectactions. I want to do something to make it look better than whatever they were going to slop together and I was thinking making it a bit more interactive with something like flash? I dont know where to start though. I am good with photoshop and used to code a little and would be willing to try and learn some more. I just wanna give it a good shot, any help would be appreciated.

ps i was thinking about trying to make it mobile friendly as well
>>
>>254243
>with something like flash
No, anon. Never. You can use Javascript/jQuery, but flash is not necesary at all.

My advice: code a lot. Design some websites just to pass the time and you will learn new stuff. Add a drop-down menu here, a sidebar there, experiment with the positioning, the padding, the margins... It will take some time for you to git gud, but if you practice regularly, you will be able to create some great designs.

Read articles, follow some websites on twitter, visit CSS inspiration pages, etc.
http://www.siteinspire.com/
http://www.awwwards.com/

If you want, post here what you got and I will try to give you some advices on how to improve your design. Good luck.
>>
First, develop your content. Use GoDaddy for domain and WordPress hosting, research themes and plugins for WordPress. Get Webmaster tools and Analytics. Learn SEO. Make sure you have branded and verified Facebook and Google plus business pages with the same language and accurate contact information across all pages.

Get something like constant contact or MyEmma for monthly newsletters. Develop NFC tags, business cards and collateral materials so people can find this shit online.
>>
>>254243
Try using bootstrap framework for mobile website or you could use "blocs app" for mac to start your prototype
>>
>>254249
>>254291
>>254341

Thank you guys so much for the replies. I got into the office today to look at what was going on from what another employee had started and we use godaddy and have the domain and everything. We're using something called aosoft to do the actual page but she didnt leave me the password so I wasn't able to get in and edit anything. I did look at what she had and it was literally horrific. It looks like a webpage a high schooler would throw together for a school project. I want to be able to make active animations on the page to make it more interactive so it looks like a real business's website. This is a locally owned shop but it's a very very well funded so even at the lowest level of the work chain I think it needs something to fit the extravagance of the place. I need to (once I get into the client to edit) make the backbone pages so they have directories for all the different information. I just want it to be graphically pleasing once they get on the pages, like with different pictures sliding across the page showing the different things we offer. The animating is the problem, and making active animations even. This sounds like it might be a lot for me but I'm really interested in learning and want to take advantage of this opportunity.

Again thanks everyone for the replies, I'm gonna do some researching. Any help is appreciated
>>
I'm curious about CSS. Looking at some of these examples gives me lots of hope lol. What would couple well with css to make things clean and smooth and movey? (if that makes sense)
>>
Additionally if I were using css to make a menu like a nav bar and want to be able to click the links to change the content on the page without loading a new page how would I do that? Find a way to hide all other items depending on what they click?
>>
>>254291
>GoDaddy

Fuck off
>>
>>254448
Is there a reason? I didn't choose it as our hosting website but if there's a reason I should use something different I may be able to change it...Care to elaborate?
>>
>>254623
The main reason is that their hosting is complete dogshit - probably one of the worst in the business - but it's unfortunately not the only reason:

* Expensive
* Terrible support
* Shitty control panel
* They are jerks (sopa, pipa etc.)

Namecheap is top of the list IMO. I'm sure other will offer other alternatives, too, but GoDaddy is a joke.
>>
>>254384
If you just want to get up and running and also achieve this effect. Check out themeforest.net for some great one page site wordpress templates (no refreshing needed and page scrolls to content).

You'll need WordPress on your hosting setup if you want to manage content easily.

ALSO If you really want to learn to build websites you should check out CodeSchool.com for some tutorials. HTML CSS and basic JS training. You can achieve something like this using Angular.js on a very basic level. They actually walk you through building a page from scratch using bootstrap which is one of the better systems if you want learn to build responsive websites quickly.
>>
contact me [email protected]
i can help
im making a design team and need more ideas on teaching my staff members //// so you'll get free help.
>>
>>254249
I like you anon.
>>
>>254370
For animations, you can use this. It's a bit finicky (make sure to use Chrome) but it's good if you don't really know css animation.

http://cssanimate.com/
>>
>>255156
T-thank you anon, you're too kind.
>>
>>254627
I've never had the issues he mentions... if you want a domain with easy WordPress hosting I've found them to be just fine with decent support.

SOPA and PIPA aside, it's about mitigating your legal risk in this technical, developing legal climate. It's not that they don't care about you, they really care about themselves and their employees. Vote with your wallet or whatever... it was a quick suggestion. Other vendors offer similar options, so do your research OP.
>>
>>254243
My advice for flash? use a something like swiffy to convert it to html.
>>
>>254370
Try to convince them to bootstrap or jquery. If you can't, then try to make the best of it. also, check out google's material design guide. It's really helpful, especially for mobile development.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.