[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what are the rules for 'publishing' something with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: tumblr_nhdaelJ5ft1u706g9o1_1280.jpg (139KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nhdaelJ5ft1u706g9o1_1280.jpg
139KB, 960x1280px
what are the rules for 'publishing' something with appropriated images?

What if the images are used in an indie magazine, or in a published chapbook or a graphic novel? All of which would be for sale.

for example like pic related, an image from a random tumblr.
another example: a photograph of a female model

is this all just def. No. ?
>>
Depends on the copyright on each image. If there's no copyright at all, feel free. Creative Commons, go for it. If nothing's listed, I wouldn't assume it doesn't have a copyright as that could put you in a bit of legal trouble, so as a general rule of thumb if nothing's listed copyright wise just contact the original creator.
If they won't answer / can't find them, that's when you have to ask yourself risk/reward for using a potentially copyrighted image in something you'd make money for.
>>
>>253478
I personally will publish/print anything copywrited for zines, fun stuff, posters etc. b/c i dont care about a lawsuit and im too tiny for them to probably notice.

Actually, I'm more worried about a major publisher asking me 'do you have the copywrite to these images?" How much guts do publishers generally have?
>>
>>253485
I might not be explaining this well.
I'm trying to work with some publishers that made decent profits and sell at all the main book stores. what I'm trying to get them to publish has a lot of images of cute girls from tumblr, 4chan pics, stuff i took off tumblr like 4 years ago, a few typefaces I pirated. even some todd hido images, but mostly just images anon has took and posted on 4chan.

worried they are about to be like where did you get this btw? can i just lie?
>>
>>253487
Lol. No that's probably not legal where you live. Copyright is automatic. You can specifically copyright something as an artist/author to have better protection in places like US/Canada for example, but by default the person who made the original image owns it. They can sue you if they see it in the book, especially if it's for profit. Besides which, most publishers will expect you to prove the copyright you've registered for your own book when you submit your proposal package, and you will not be able to get a copyright for a book filled with unpermissed images.

Pirated typefaces = not legal to publish but not really possible to prove in print. A foundry probably could if they really tried and they'd be within their rights to.

Basically, you probably won't get caught unless someone recognizes their own face or their cousin's photography or something. However you will be liable for damages if you make money on it and they do. And publishers aren't likely to touch it unless they're cheap/noobs. Depends on what quality and demographic you're targetting here... but honestly just don't do it. Stupid, risky, tacky.

Unless you're editing/parodying every single image enough to legally be a new work. Which I doubt from the sounds of it
>>
>>253544
gotcha.

I'll ahve to look into parody rules too. I was hoping putting text over an image with that text implying or conveying somewhat the opposite information the image is would be could enough, but I think that is a bit optimistic.

ugh why can't i just steal steal steal and use so much of other peoples' work that that is the work lol
>>
>>253572
let's be real, that's not work. how much thought are you putting into the theft? what is the statement you're making with the act of theft instead of the act of making original images? is the flagrant rip-off the joke? does it enhance your book's purpose? if the answer is "yeah because it's a lot easier" then you're not doing work that should be paid, u know?
>>
File: 1450216171634.jpg (129KB, 816x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1450216171634.jpg
129KB, 816x1000px
>>253593
I guess think of it more like a documentary film, where there is footage not filmed by the directors, but a narration is heard over top of it, or words appear on the screen on the image.

could this image be used in something for sale for example? I guess not.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.