[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where would one go to find latest trends in UI design? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: yahooweather.jpg (74KB, 720x359px) Image search: [Google]
yahooweather.jpg
74KB, 720x359px
Where would one go to find latest trends in UI design?

I've been an illustrator for games for the last years, but it seems they will move me to a UI position soon. So far I've gotten along with just painting assets and not touch the layout and design of it but I'm looking to learn.

I've been using pinterest a lot for the art aspect of it but it's not as strong for design, especially since there's very little theory written or discussed there.
>>
File: destiny-the-taken-king-world-map.jpg (349KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
destiny-the-taken-king-world-map.jpg
349KB, 1920x1080px
Everyone has their favourite websites (I like Typewolf but that's web design, not app UI specifically. good stuff tho) Fonts in Use is good too, again mostly typography-focused by you can sort by medium.

At the end of the day the best way to learn this shit is to keep an eye out for stuff you like and consider why you like it and how they achieved that. You'll need some basics for thinking about that in any detail:

Swiss typography
Designing on a grid
Ratios and geometry in grid design
Locally and globally recognizable icons
Contrast
Depth — what elements pop forward and which ones fall back, and is the hierarchy of that action correct (such as your OP image, black overlay makes the photo fall back and white pop forward which is a popular style atm)
Readability of typefaces and type-setting (the font you choose but also the space between letters, words, lines, use of caps, creating hierarchy with bold/italics/size) for various screen sizes
Expected behaviours and design language (green is good, red is bad, buttons look pressable, links are bold or underlined, etc)
Navigation with your controller (console or mouse/keyboard? tab around or free-moving?)

I recommend Ellen Lupton's book Thinking with Type if you're brand new to typography, and Steve Krug's classic Don't Make Me Think. I also recommend you check out Destiny and play with its UI for a while, it's very slick compared to all competitors/peers imo, with a unique attention to detail in the typography that comes across as both classy and extremely readable/understandable, such as organizing a map with lots of symbols and text and using a free-roaming cursor. I think it actually won an award with AIGA last year in a category games aren't normally considered for.

And check out games whose UI pisses people off and try to think about why. Remember, your UI should be a pleasure to use, but no one WANTS to use it. It's a means to an end, an interface for what they really want. Make it easy + painless
>>
>>252719
Thanks!
>>
Blizzard (World of Warcraft in particular) has the best UI in games that I've seen and used. You feel immersed in the universe and everything fits that genre of the game. Nothing is out of place and every UI element appears to be polished to its fullest.
>>
>>253153
I was temped to play that game after looking at their website. But the reality hold me back. Runescape's website is pretty nice too. The classic one. Damn guess i have no ui design skills
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.