[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I crop a jpg. without losing quality? Photoshop always

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

How do I crop a jpg. without losing quality? Photoshop always fuck my pics up. Thanks.
>>
>>250585
ran into this same problem and the stock photo utility on macs does surprisingly well
>>
>>250589
Thanks but I'm on PC
>>
>>250585
>Lose quality from cropping
WTF?

If something is broken with your photoshop you can just use a layer mask to only show what you want.
>>
Bump :(
>>
>>250971
Why are you bumping?
>>250601
Answered your question. Use masks.
>>
Jpg is a lossy format by design. Saving jpg a few times will cause degradation. Save as psd while you work (lossless) and export to jpg at the quality you want when done.
>>
File: 1417074697633.jpg (61KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1417074697633.jpg
61KB, 500x500px
I'm guessing some "graphic designers" here are so blinded by the trivial nature of OP's question and thinks he's just dumb.

Problem: cropping usually means open up the image, crop it, then re-save it back to a lossy format (ex jpg) which means you are compressing again.

Solution: some image viewers has a lossless crop function, where you designate the area you want and the program omits the actual data that you didn't specify, opposed to traditionally performing an image edit and saving it as a new lossy image.

This is comparable to opening a mp3, performing a trim or volume change, and then resaving to mp3 again resulting in a lossy transcode. The proper way to do this is use mp3directcut or similar, designate your beginning and end points, and the program will leave throw out the data of the sections you don't want. You can do this with volume too I believe.
>>
>>250998
I forgot to mention this applies to image rotation as well, which is a very common thing with smartphones not fixing your photo orientations. I have no idea if Android or Apple engineers are smart enough to be conscious about this, but I assume everytime you tap those rotation arrows, you are adding permanent jpg artifacts to those photos and you have no backup. If anyone really cares, you can probably do a few tests and compare the image hashes.

I know this all sounds slightly autistic, but I've run into some situations where I lost my original source files. I had to repurpose some website jpgs and lossless cropping can save your life.
>>
>>250998
>some image viewers
Which ones?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.