[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice for recent liberal arts (philosophy) graduate? Self-taught

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Advice for recent liberal arts (philosophy) graduate?

Self-taught Adobe CS, Blender, Unity3d for 5+ years. Small pool of completed freelance projects.

Best way to compete with these art school kids in the junior / entry level design market?
>>
>learn history
>read books
>learn typography
>make a bunch of faux-freelance projects to >showcase abilities
>>
>pop

: (
>>
pretty rad
>>
>>246617
Well, what can you design? Illustrations? Publications? Websites? Branding?

Learn how to speak design. Can you create and follow a design brief? Do you have an understanding of visual styles and design processes?

Coding is a valuable skill, so learn that if you want to get in to UX.

Junior designers probably learnt less than you think they did. I certainly didn't learn that much in my design program.
>>
shouldn't hard to compete with those skills. are you NOT wanting to do unity stuff anymore? where I live unity developers and 3d artists have work out the ass, employed or freelance.

make yourself a representative portfolio and apply for jobs. in fields like design and art and video games, entry level positions put less stress on your education and more on what you can do, since our industry has tangible portfolios (as opposed to customer service or management or accounting etc)
>>
If you sum up your /gd/ skills by listing the programs you can use, then you can't compete with the art school kids. Graphic design was a thing before computers were, and everything important about the discipline happens outside the frame of your monitor.

I went to school for it, so I don't know what to tell you as far as learning design fundamentals on your own. Maybe there's some stuff on Skillshare or Lynda?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.