[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /gd/, I'm the newbie cat logo guy from earlier; I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 13

File: Summoner'sCodexLogo.png (30KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
Summoner'sCodexLogo.png
30KB, 550x400px
Hey /gd/, I'm the newbie cat logo guy from earlier; I've got a lot of awesome feedback so here I am again to ask for some more logo critique.

With that said, here's the logo in question. I am kinda stuck as to how I should go about approaching this logo so any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated.
>>
More infos.
>>
File: Untitled.png (560KB, 539x723px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
560KB, 539x723px
>>242697
The game's a qsuedo turn based RPG where players assemble teams of up to 6 heroes (arranged in a 3x2 grid) to fight in dungeons/arenas.

The game field looks something like this atm (I'm still working heavily on the UI atm).

One of the character cards (the vanguard) on the player side has a golden border and greatly improved stats. It can also provide a buff of sorts to the rest of the allied team; making the vanguard a priority target to attack.
>>
File: Summoner'sCodexLogo.png (60KB, 466x285px) Image search: [Google]
Summoner'sCodexLogo.png
60KB, 466x285px
Added some gradients and changed the colours.
>>
>>242722
the symbol in the background is acceptable, although needs some work (the curves could be cleaner and simpler, the ending of the tail isn't good IMO, wing proportions, ...)

but your font is pretty terrible. You should invest some time in learning about fonts and building a nice font library.
>>
File: Symbol.png (18KB, 466x285px) Image search: [Google]
Symbol.png
18KB, 466x285px
>>242723
The thing is; I have absolutely no idea what makes for a "good" or "bad" font. So I just picked something that's free (I don't want to pay commercial fees) and looks good.

Here's the background symbol by itself. I basically took an Italic S and modified it to the current appearance. If you could give me some advice on how to improve the design it would be great. Thanks.
>>
>>242722
>V AN G U ARD
>>
File: dragonbody_4-2_tail.png (47KB, 600x395px) Image search: [Google]
dragonbody_4-2_tail.png
47KB, 600x395px
>>242725
some things I would try first:
- the spikes on the back are behind the font anyway, so remove them. Even if you change the font, worst case they will be distracting.
- try fewer spikes on the back of the head
- try without the eyes
- instead of making the gradient from blue to black, try from blue to another slightly different hue that has the same value. For instance a more purple-ish blue or a more greenish blue.
- for a flying dragon/wyvern I would imagine the tail to look more like picrelated, but I don't know if that'll end up working. But I definitely find the tail you currently have to be unappealing.
- wings need simplification, fewer zigzags will probably help. Also, make sure the tips of the wing zigzags (both the ones pointing outwards and inwards) follow a somewhat coherent shape/curve.
- S-shape/width needs improvement, there is a random "thickening" close to the end of the tail, and it randomly becomes thicker at the belly of the S. Make width more consistently decreasing from head to tail (study pictures of wyverns and calligraphy strokes and shit to get inspiration for how to make that appealing)
>>
>>242730
other than that, basically look up "dragon", "drake", "wyvern" and any kind of related term on google image search, deviantart, pixiv, ... you can think of, and see if you find any kind of visual elements that you want to incoorporate.
>>
File: dragon.png (160KB, 1920x1050px) Image search: [Google]
dragon.png
160KB, 1920x1050px
>>242731
quick attempt at making the gradient a little prettier

I think you can do better if you mess around with it a bit, but it might give you some ideas. Maybe it's just me, but I generally find gradients that vary between values ugly and prefer gradients that vary between hues and saturations.
>>
File: dragon1.png (167KB, 1920x1050px) Image search: [Google]
dragon1.png
167KB, 1920x1050px
>>242732
and another stab
>>
File: dragon2.png (143KB, 1920x1050px) Image search: [Google]
dragon2.png
143KB, 1920x1050px
>>242733
>>
File: 1.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: Summoner'sCodexLogo.png (67KB, 486x548px) Image search: [Google]
Summoner'sCodexLogo.png
67KB, 486x548px
>>242729
I changed up the font spacing a bit manually; let me know if something still seems off.

>>242731
I'll gradually go over the dragon redesign; I started with the wings for now. How does it look?

>>242732
I'm personally not super fond of the reddish hues you've experimented with; but I did try out a greenish hue. I think it works better than the reds but I would still rather stick with the blue-to-blue gradient.
>>
File: Summoner'sCodexLogo.png (14KB, 550x588px) Image search: [Google]
Summoner'sCodexLogo.png
14KB, 550x588px
>>242730
Changed up the dragon's shape a bit more and tried to smoothen the curves. I have no godamn clue how to use the pen tool and it is giving me a headache when trying to draw out these curves.
>>
File: Summoner'sCodexLogo.png (71KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
Summoner'sCodexLogo.png
71KB, 550x400px
Hey guys, I changed up the logo further.

I basically altered the shape of the dragon a bit more to make it less passive looking. I have also changed up the gradient to change to a slight purplish hue.

I have also changed the colour of the word "VANGUARD" to better associate the word with the golden Vanguard cards in-game.

Your ideas and suggestions have been awesome thus far; if anyone has further suggestions (font suggestions) do let me know.
>>
>>242760
The dragon is starting to look pretty good. I'm not sure I like the new wings, but they do go well with the more "agressive"-looking open mouth, I suppose. But ultimately I think I like the way the old wings flow with the shape better. They form more of a coherent circle. At least in >>242760
they stick out quite far. OTOH, they do balance the composition better by balancing out the head, so I guess whatever floats your boat.

Font still isn't great, also lay off the embossing. Just an outline is enough to make it look "solid" and "massive". Also the yellow... actually, the gradient on both is pretty bad

I'd still put more of a hue into the dark part of the gradient, maybe a deep purple-blue

the rounded region at the bottom of where the wing merges into the body (the "armpit" of the dragon) doesn't look appealing to me, the half-round half-cornery version in >>242742 looks better to me

Also worth noting that the text and illustration in >>242740 feel like they are much more centered and balanced w.r.t. eachother than >>242760, in your latest iteration the tail doesn't create as nice of a framing for the text anymore. Another reason I think to possibly go back to the old wings (which take less space)

Either way, I think you're on a good path, keep working at it
>>
File: Summoner'sCodexLogo.png (62KB, 466x301px) Image search: [Google]
Summoner'sCodexLogo.png
62KB, 466x301px
>>242890
Hey, thanks for the feedback.

I've changed the ratio of wing-to-dragon and changed the balance of the logo more to the center. I've also changed up the gradients for the text; replacing the grey gradient with a blue one and changing the yellow gradient to be more gold instead of yellow coloured.

As for the embossing; I've more or less removed it. However I did keep the white text highlight and changed the origin of the lighting (from upper left to upper right) to something similar to the dragon.

With that said; the dragon colour has been reverted it the previous colour scheme instead of fading to a slight purplish hue. I just straight up prefer this gradient over the purplish hue one.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can polish up on; thanks.
>>
>>242918
I agree with >>242890 about the old wing looking better because of how it complements the movement of the form. If you want to do a webbed wing, just do it in the same general shape as your original one.

I don't like how you stretched the tail sideways on this one either. It's better when it's more round. You made a good call making the wing smaller though.

Beyond that, I don't think there's a lot you can improve without being an actual designer. It's good for being made by a lay person.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.