[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I improve this poster /gd/? The poster is supposed to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: balance_poster.png (3MB, 3300x5100px) Image search: [Google]
balance_poster.png
3MB, 3300x5100px
How can I improve this poster /gd/?
The poster is supposed to demonstrate the idea of balance in design.
>>
File: balance.png (17KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
balance.png
17KB, 1280x853px
>>242654
Please elaborate on your reasoning.

The only balance I see is that it's vertically symmetrical. Not sure where's the rest of the balance (or the design).
>>
>>242655
It's a school project. Basically we needed to create a poster on one of the Elements and Principles of Design and mine was balance. I focused on the vertical symmetry to portray this....
>>
>>242655
Also I am a bit confused with your comment.. particularly the last bit,

"Not sure where's the rest of the balance (or the design)."

Could you further elaborate?
>>
your piece is mostly balanced by symmetry and is also focusing radially towards the center. The point of intrigue is blatantly in the middle and the viewers eye can easily find the center and has no interest to look anywhere else. Part of design is making various points of interest and letting the viewers eye follow around the piece as a whole. your figures are very lacking but i feel like your use of color can both alter and give different points of interest. If you imagine that if your whole color choices on the canvas being combined to create a grey or neutral color than it means its balanced, so use more color is all i can suggest now
>>
you could start by balancing your elements mate...the white strokes are not centered in the rhombus, the white triangle or the rhombus itself are completely off center (and not in a good like "breaking the laws"-way)
also
>sloppy ass strokes
how the hell did you manage to fuck up the black strokes so badly?
>>
>>242657
>Not sure where's the rest of the balance (or the design).

This is more of an illustration than design, on one hand, on the other it's more of an "artistic" approach than something with a bit more reasoning.

Sure it all points to the center, but it's not even the absolute center of the poster. Sure it's symmetrical, but why does it look like a Taj Mahal in the bottom and not something else? Or why did you use a a diamond in the middle and not an hexagon? See where I'm getting at? It's all too arbitrary IMO.

That Japan flag could well be the most balanced thing ever (if only it was square like the Swiss flag). Yours ends up having a whole lot of style but no real reason behind it and no real balance.

You could also look at it from the balance=serenity angle. With all those pointy things going on that's everything but serene.

Yet, I agree with >>242661

Bottom line, crap assignment.
>>
>>242654
why doesn't the chasm (or whatever the bottom element is) fade into the black? it just looks like a distorted arrow
>>
>>242661
Thank you for the helpful advice! I'll post a revised version in a moment.

>>242664
I wanted the rhombus to look three dimensional so that is why the white strokes point upwards..

How can I improve the black strokes, originally nothing was there but it felt to empty so I hastily added those.

>>242667
Thanks for the response! You are correct in the assumption that a lot of what you see on the poster is there because of stylistic reasons. and yes it's more of illustration than a actual poster... I'm not sure what to do.

>>242683
I'm confused on what you mean..
>>
>>242685
He's saying that your design is inconsistent.
>>
what's up with that recent trend of using dotted lines, seeing that exact pattern everywhere.
>>
File: 1447247973183.png (5MB, 3300x5100px) Image search: [Google]
1447247973183.png
5MB, 3300x5100px
>>242683
>>242685
why doesn't this have the same gradient as the shape below it?
>>
>>242702
It's not a recent thing, people have been doing it for a while now. OP here, I did it because I was trying to emulate a certain style i've seen around.

>>242705
a solid point, thank you for further clarifying.
I wanted to keep it pure black so it looked like the border. Looking at it now it looks a bit weird
>>
>>242654
start over by scratch, it's not necessarily bad but that one won't get you any further
>>
>>242654
Wish you had used some vector thing instead of the brush you used, because I can see the edges of the overlapping circles making up the dotted lines.

Nice diamond vagina poster, though. But I must say, those legs are rather squiggly.
>>
>>242654
low resolution textures and what the fuck @ the anti aliasing on the strokes, did you just copy and paste circles over and over to keep the width consistent?
>>
>>243416
Haven't you used photoshop before? That's how the brush ends up working. I'm sure you could probably set it up right, but I wouldn't know how.

Honestly, though, OP should have just pasted vector rectangles over them to cover up the circles properly.
>>
obvious troll is obvious
>>
File: design.png (959KB, 1091x1703px) Image search: [Google]
design.png
959KB, 1091x1703px
>>242654
>>
>>243716
Is the center rift supposed to be a pussy?
>>
>>242654
you can have balance without simetry
>>
>>243822
symmetry*
>>
>>242654
Get rid of those highlight lines inside of the diamond. i fucking hate them.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.