[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Complete novice here; I made this logo for my "soon-to-be"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 20

File: BlueCollarGames.png (28KB, 400x551px) Image search: [Google]
BlueCollarGames.png
28KB, 400x551px
Complete novice here; I made this logo for my "soon-to-be" game company and I would like some critique.

Let me know how you guys feel and how I can go about improving. Thanks.
>>
>>241704
I like it but the tie doesn't really work well as an 'L' especially with that font. It seems like it would almost work better as the 'U'.
>>
BlueCollarGames.png
28KB, 400x551px
>>241711
I see what you mean, do you have any possible font suggestions? (free fonts)

I made a super-fast edit by flipping the image and swapping the U and L; I can't say I am too fond of this change as I am way too used to the original orientation of the image and this version just looks awkward to me.
>>
>>241712
This is a little bit better. Try fixing e tracking on COLLAR so it's uniform with the other lines. You're getting way too friendly with those margins.
>>
>>241721
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "e tracking on COLLAR".
>>
>>241712
I like where this is going OP, especially with the cat looking to the right instead of the left. However, the typography needs a lot of help. What kind of feel do you want it to have (sleek, bold, etc.)?

>>241723
He's referring to the space between letters in the word "collar", pointing out that each letter has much more space between it. I'd say "games" is the more egregious offender, though.
>>
>>241726
I would like the font to be bold & thick; kinda like what it has now. Maybe a good sans-serif font would do well?

I'm not still too sure about the letters, but I made some adjustments; I closed the spacing between "BLUE" and "COLLAR" and widened the spacing between "GAMES". Does this look better?
>>
File: BlueCollarGames.png (27KB, 400x551px) Image search: [Google]
BlueCollarGames.png
27KB, 400x551px
>>241727
Durp, forgot the image.
I also made a small adjustment to the left side of the head (a bit too round).
>>
>>241728
Fix the spacing between the g and the a in games, it's a little too spread.

Also I like your logo that shits cute
>>
Still needs a lot of polish, but compared to most people who ask for critique of their homemade logo here, you're off to a very strong start.

Tie != collar, btw...
>>
File: BlueTie.png (19KB, 375x495px) Image search: [Google]
BlueTie.png
19KB, 375x495px
My 5 min take on your logo.
Font is called MOON.
>>
>>241754
mind posting font?
>>
>>241755
Here you go.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=font+MOON
>>
>>241754
no offense anon but, either you use a thin and squared stylized font either a use a fat rounded one.

thin and rounded reminds way too much Comic sans fonts which is outdated about 10-15years now.

just my opinion on it. If OP likes it so let it be ~
>>
>>241757
Not sure what you are trying to say, but yes I do like thin rounded fonts. While comic sans is terrible, the logo does contain a cartoon cat. So, yeah.
>>
>>241757
How the fuck do you get comic sans from all of this?
>>
BlueCollarGames.png
28KB, 400x551px
>>241744
Thanks. I am not sure what you mean by spacing between G and A though. As far as I can tell they're the same distance apart as any of the other letters.

>>241749
Well aware that tie != collar, but it's meant to be a bit of a pun comparing a blue collar (blue collar worker) with a collar on that of a cat. Here's what it looks like with a collar. It's not bad, but I think I prefer the tie.

>>241754
Thanks for the font suggestion; but I think I want a thicker/bolder font. I don't plan on changing the collar to a tie though.
>>
>>241704
It's ok to me, I would only adjust the stroke of the line in the right ear, maybe when scalling it down can dissappear. Sorry for the bad english.
>>
>>241754
I took your suggestion and smoothed out some of the curves. This is what it looks like now.

As for the font; the bold version of MOON looks good. Unfortunately it is not free for commercial uses, so I can't use it.
>>
BlueCollarGames.png
28KB, 400x551px
>>241787
Once again, forgot the image.
>>
>>241789
Hey anon, what if you hollowed out the tie so it adds kind of a "design" to the tie and makes the u more defined?

Theres multiple ways to go about this but i think it could look cool if you messed around with it enough
>>
>>241787
It's free until you start making money. At which point you just pay for it.
>>
File: BlueCollarGames.png (27KB, 401x552px) Image search: [Google]
BlueCollarGames.png
27KB, 401x552px
>>241796
I've tried that; however it doesn't really work.

>>241797
I see. I just don't want to deal with the hassle of buying a font after the fact. I've roughly tried switching to a similar font. Let me know what you think of it.
>>
>>241789
Next step is to make the words run the width of the white square, not just the inside of the corners.

>>241853
No, don't make the words different lengths.
>>
File: BlueCollarGames.png (27KB, 401x552px) Image search: [Google]
BlueCollarGames.png
27KB, 401x552px
>>241857
Something like this?

The gaps in between the characters in "BLUE" seems to be too wide. I do see what you mean by making the characters have the same lengths though.

Also as a note; the white square is actually a rectangle that is wider than the height. I felt it looked better than just a square.
>>
>>241868
new anon here, first impression: outer line of the ear is a rope hanging the cat
>>
File: blucat.jpg (88KB, 401x552px) Image search: [Google]
blucat.jpg
88KB, 401x552px
i give up
>>
>>241892
I tell you what OP, as a fellow /gd/gd/, I will bring your logo up to snuff for you. Upload a pdf of your logo (editable) and I'll give it a two hour work over to fix all the things tomorrow.
>>
>>241897
Thanks for the offer, >>241892 is not me though.

As for the logo itself; I made it in flash. So I am not super sure how to go about moving it to pdf format while keeping vectors intact.
>>
>>241906
>Made it in Flash
I found your problem OP.

>I don't want help
Then what the fuck did you come here for?
>>
>>241906
Can you save it as an svg?
>>
>>241908
>I don't want help.
I don't recall saying that.

>>241909
Closest would be adobe illustrator file. Would that be good?
>>
>>241909
Adobe Illustrator could export to .svg; but where do I go about uploading it?
>>
>>241910
>>241911
You can put it into Illustrator and then save it to PDF from there by saving as. Upload the PDF with edits enabled.

Failing that, put the ai file one drop box or google drive and share the link.>>241910
>>
>>241912
Here's the link the the pdf.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3MTuntt1txjZUxBVEc2X1lVaEk/view?usp=sharing

There seems to be a slight error when swapping between formats so now there's some white space near the tie.

Thanks a lot by the way, I really appreciate the help.
>>
>>241913
Got it.

No problem, I'll have something for you tomorrow afternoon.
>>
>>241914
Cool, thanks a bunch man.
>>
>>241892
it looks better with the offset than with the black line
>>
>>241754
Fuck off Jack with you're gay little font ;)
>>
>>242042
you* shit
>>
>>242043
your** double shit
>>
>>241916
Here you go OP. Hope one of these will work better for you. You can open it in Illustrator and grab the one you like, or I can upload it separately as a PDF or SVG if you need.

If you give credit, go ahead and just give it to /gd/.

Good luck with your production.
>>
>>242045
Hey, thanks for the edits. I like what you did with the tie & text. I personally prefer the "Short Form | Short Letters" one.

As for the font; although I do like the font I am not sure if I want to deal with using a free font for a commercial logo. Either way, I sent a message to the font's creator to ask him about font licensing and see what he has to say about it.

With that said, I will go about replicating the changes I liked on my flash file. I am not too familiar with illustrator so I think I will stick with what I know for now.
>>
>>242062
Don't worry about the licence, I have one for it; so you don't need to have it. If anyone asks you had it commissioned Pro Bono.

Here is a PDF of just the SF-SL so you can throw it into Illustrator, save it as a SVG, then throw it into Flash.
>>
>>242064
Or just leave it as an svg unless you really need to put it in flash for some reason.
>>
File: BlueCollarGames.gif (440KB, 400x700px) Image search: [Google]
BlueCollarGames.gif
440KB, 400x700px
>>242065
I don't "really" need to put it in flash, but I just greatly prefer working with it as it is the program I am most familiar with. I know there are better options out there as Flash is primarily an animation tool but it's just something that stuck with me.

I also like to use flash as it allows me to keep a "progress log" of sorts as the stuff I work on gradually evolve and change over time. I also like using the timeline to keep track of major changes and revert to older versions as necessary. It's kind of like a Super undo key in a sense.

Here's the log for the logo; it's pretty cool to see how things change over time.
>>
File: blu color gays.png (20KB, 398x552px) Image search: [Google]
blu color gays.png
20KB, 398x552px
>>241704
I only used MS Paint but I hope you get what I'm going for here OP.
>>
What I did was give the cat more white space so the silhouet is easier to read. You can decide for yourself how you want the eyes but you should experiment with that.
The ear should be flat shaded and follow the curve of the head.
The font anon looks gave you looks oke but doesn't work at all with the tie. Keep it straight and in tune with the font.
It sais blue double which obviously is stupid but I put it like this for aesthetics sake. Find something else for it. Also some more space at the bottom obviously
Think of curves and how you keep it readable as thumbnail.
>>
>>242398
The cat on the right looks fearful or suprised, the additional white space is unnessassary, and the font is crap.

>Blue blue

The anon that made you the logo on the left did you a favor, you should just use it and stop wasting our time here. You're a game developer; go make games.
>>
File: Untitled.png (145KB, 456x731px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
145KB, 456x731px
>>242423
Actual OP here, that guy's not me. This is basically the version that I decided to stick with. The majority of the logo is from awesome anon's design, I just altered the head back to something similar to the original and changed the font to something that won't cost me 20 euros (42 cad) to license (I emailed the moon font guy).

As for the game-making part; the coding is around half done so I am currently just lurking around /gd/ and reading up on user interfaces; I will probably post what I have made so far when I feel more confident in what I have.
>>
File: BlueCollarGames.png (47KB, 400x700px) Image search: [Google]
BlueCollarGames.png
47KB, 400x700px
>>242429
Welp. I mixed up the images. Here's the "final" version of the logo.
>>
File: 1447096851950.png (40KB, 400x700px) Image search: [Google]
1447096851950.png
40KB, 400x700px
>>242423
moron with reading incapabilities goddamnit.

How the fuck is more white space unnecesary? as a thumbnail the cat on the left clutters and is hard to read as a silhouet.
As a designer you should know all this but you're clearly not that's why I'm going to advice OP to not listen to your useless advice.

The anon giving you the design did actually do you a favor certainly, but the logo is far from done so simply don't settle mediocre.
I really like the concept and that's why I decided to come and help you out but if you think this design is done you might as well give up on your company now if you're not going to be a perfectionist.

>>242430
Font is acceptable, you certainly integrated the tie more into the roundness but I still would search for a better font.

The frame is really awkwardly tall. Make it around golden ratio and you're set.

Seriously look at the curves I provided you with and atleast concider it as a design aesthetics.

The spacing between font and borders is just really fucking awkward. Make it consistent and give it more breathing space. Don't have to cramp everything into it with that big ass font.
It's the logo that should speak for itself, don't make the text make up your logo.
>>
File: BlueCollarGames.png (47KB, 400x700px) Image search: [Google]
BlueCollarGames.png
47KB, 400x700px
>>242448
Thanks for the feedback. I've made some changes regarding the overall sizing (closer, but not at the golden ratio), increased the white space, as well as change up some of the lines as you recommended.

As a newbie though; I actually have no idea what is considered a "good" font choice; so I just went with something close to the recommendation.

As for the shape of the head, I have tried quite a few variations as you can see in this post >>242066. After trying a round head (ie. >>242064) and a curved head (ie. >>242398); I have opted for a mix of both and I liked that shape the most.

Anyways, here is the latest version. Let me know what you think.
>>
>>241704
Your original font was best font.
Just get nice and squared off.
>>
This is as close as I got before I didn't care anymore kek
>>
File: Kerning Collar Games.png (33KB, 400x669px) Image search: [Google]
Kerning Collar Games.png
33KB, 400x669px
Needs more Kerning.
>>
>>241704
Does nobody here realize blue collar does not mean ties? Matter of fact they have a phrase for jobs with ties called white collar.
>>
>>242518
10/10
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.