[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been developing an add-on for Firefox that involves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 11

File: logos.png (151KB, 1400x350px) Image search: [Google]
logos.png
151KB, 1400x350px
I've been developing an add-on for Firefox that involves a browser and notification system for Twitch.tv. Recently I received a review by one user whose only complaint was that he didn't like the icon. The original icon was quickly thrown together by me and was meant to emphasize the alarm feature, which used to be the central focus point of the add-on but is now somewhat of a secondary feature. Brand image has never really concerned me but I feel that I could gather more users and appeal to a wider audience by improving my image.

The main focus of the icon should be Twitch as the add-on has everything to do with it. I think that another focus to consider is Firefox, because many Firefox users pride themselves on Firefox-exclusive content and overall like their own community. The most popular Twitch-related extension for Chrome, Twitch Now, uses its own design for a logo but incorporates Twitch's white and purple colors.

On the left end is my current design and on the right end is a concept design I just came up with. It's by no means professional and I don't really think it needs to be, but the message that is sent by the imagery is the most important thing I think. What do you guys think is the best way to approach designing a logo for this? Am I on the right track or maybe I should approach it differently?
>>
oh, are you the guy that made Twitch Alarm?
You have my thanks.
The thick black border on the bell in the first logo is really the only major flaw, if you changed it to a dark yellow or something it would be a marginally better logo.

What does the rightmost logo look like when it's an icon on the Firefox top bar? Because that's how people will see it 99% of the time.
>>
File: Taco_bell_logo-9[1].png (110KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
Taco_bell_logo-9[1].png
110KB, 1600x1067px
change the round thing to the firefox logo and you'll have all the elements you need

joking aside, maybe replace the quotation marks in the chat bubble with a bell that matches the style, aka flat and no outline
>>
File: logo_idea.png (20KB, 315x311px) Image search: [Google]
logo_idea.png
20KB, 315x311px
Maybe use the firefox colors, but remove all the details.
>>
>>240885
This one is good
>>
File: lebestbrowser.jpg (48KB, 344x350px) Image search: [Google]
lebestbrowser.jpg
48KB, 344x350px
>>240885
Exactly what I thought as well. I made it even simpler still.

There you go OP. I want full designer rights and 10% of your income.
>>
>>240885
>>240902
yup yup yup
>>
File: logos2.png (68KB, 801x400px) Image search: [Google]
logos2.png
68KB, 801x400px
>>240875
Oh, you're welcome! It's very nice to come across users of my add-on, and I'm glad you enjoy it. I've included my design in the mock-up to the left.

>>240876
I don't think I want to continue using a bell because the alarm seems to be a secondary feature now. I want people to see that it's a Twitch add-on and it's made for Firefox.

>>240885
>>240902
These are both very good... I like the curves of the first one but I like how the second one integrates Twitch's patented #6441A5 ©.

In the left are the concepts brought up so far as well as their application. Looking at this makes me lean towards the third option, but anyone with another opinion?

Additionally, with a new image probably should come a new name. The name of the add-on currently is Twitch Alarm, which is why I thought the original logo did a pretty good job. But of course, I want to draw the attention away from the alarm and more towards the whole Twitch connectivity. This is /graphic design/ and not /branding/, but do you guys have any ideas? I was thinking Twitch Fox which would match the new logo very well, but that might sound too cliche or even generic. Does "Twitch Fox" come off as a reputable and good name for a browser extension? Any other ideas from people with more knowledge in this field?
>>
File: FoxyTwitch.png (1KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
FoxyTwitch.png
1KB, 250x250px
My take on the issue
>>
File: FoxyTwitchOrange.png (1KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
FoxyTwitchOrange.png
1KB, 250x250px
>>240947
Swapped colors.
>>
File: logos3.png (16KB, 212x350px) Image search: [Google]
logos3.png
16KB, 212x350px
>>240948
I like this design too. And I see you named the image "FoxyTwitch". Not a bad name for the add-on itself, really. Do you think it sounds better than "Twitch Fox"?
>>
>>240950
'Twitch Fox' is a little lame. But I don't feel like 'FoxyTwitch' is a great name either; I just throw it in there.

That being said, if the description of the add-on has some humor in it you could go with a sillier name like 'FoxyTwitch'.
>>
>>240950
You might also want to try it with the white filled center. It may help it stand out and be more viability identifiable.
>>
>>240952
visibly* identifiable
>>
>>240951
There's quite a few popular Firefox add-ons that start with "Foxy", so it wouldn't be the weirdest thing ever. Do you have any better ideas?

>>240952
Eh, while may be the case, I think it would look weird and limit my use of the icon. Consider people with themes that change the background color; I want it to be versatile and look good in multiple settings. Perhaps I am wrong, but most icons out there either have transparent backgrounds or have icons that take up the entire square. It's quite odd to have a background color behind a non-square logo.
>>
>>240958
Oh, my not thinking background, I'm thinking just the center.

And I thought of it because of the custom toolbar themes. By having the white center the orange eyes will never get lost.
>>
>>240958
Also, fuck it. Go with FoxyTwitch if the 'foxy' addition is popular for Firefox add-ons.
>>
>>240960
Oh right, oops. I think you definitely have a point. But now I wonder if that would make the previous designs look better as well. I also feel like your design might look better if the "eyes" were purple, because purple looks better on a light background and, well, purple seems more natural for eyes than orange.

>>240962
It's not super popular but there's like 6 add-ons with "Foxy" as a prefix that have over a thousand users. Then again, I think that maybe the name should start with "Twitch" because that's the main focus. But maybe not. I feel like I might want to do some surveying to get a better idea.
>>
File: FoxyTwitchColors.png (12KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
FoxyTwitchColors.png
12KB, 1000x500px
>>240964
>>240960
>>
>>240965
Right. I'm not even sure why I've been making the center transparent actually; in the design that is currently being used the center is white. Once again I think that the eyes in that particular design would look better if they were purple.
>>
>>240964
If you wanted to go with more than two colors you will want to change them up a bit.

Blue, orange, purple would only look good if you went with a more teal blue.
>>
File: FoxyTwitchColors2.png (12KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
FoxyTwitchColors2.png
12KB, 1000x500px
>>240966
>>
TwitchyFox* better
>>
>>240969
You think that "TwitchyFox" would sound better than simply "TwitchFox"? I feel like "Twitch" shouldn't be modified because its a brand name.
>>
>>240969
I agree
>>
>>240950
I enjoy the look on this one.
>>
>>240968
That's honestly ugly. Not trying to be harsh I'd just prefer if the center would stay orange.
>>
>>240981
Fair enough.

But I'm still pretty stuck between >>240902
and >>240948

I think that the second option may look better in practice even though in their full size I prefer the first option.
>>
>>240948
>>240950

This one is best.

Stupid question: how did you turn the graphic into a button in Firefox? Like, how do I test an image in that way?
>>
File: logos4.png (12KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
logos4.png
12KB, 125x125px
>>241040
It's in the resources/(addon name)/data folder of an add-on's .xpi file. You have to replace the icon files in that folder to change the image.

Also, an update: I really think that >>240968 is the best option. Even if it looks worse on a high resolution scale, it looks much better when reduced to a 16x16 size. If the eyes are left orange, they are hard to see on the white background. I think this looks quite good.
>>
>>241009
I doubt it'll be better in practice.
>>240947 is overall more visible than >>240948
>>
>>241059
Awesome, glad I could help.

Good luck with your add-on.
>>
>>241059
> It's in the resources/(addon name)/data folder of an add-on's .xpi file. You have to replace the icon files in that folder to change the image.

Awesome, thanks.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.