[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I've got a job interview tomorrow for a part-time frontend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: frontend_dev_job_banner1.jpg (35KB, 820x400px) Image search: [Google]
frontend_dev_job_banner1.jpg
35KB, 820x400px
So, I've got a job interview tomorrow for a part-time frontend developer job, and I have no clue as for what to do.

Any of you got some fantastic tips I can take with me? I'm really nervous and been unemployed for so long - I need this!

Help me /GD/, you're my only hope.
(Bad Star-Wars reference... Sorry.)
>>
>>239236

- Be prepared to talk about your work and what you can do. Have some examples ready.

- Project a positive attitude from the moment you walk in the door. Be friendly, smile, show enthusiasm whenever someone or something new is introduced to you and ask questions.

- Have a few "weaknesses" in your mind in case they ask but find a way to spin them into positives. i.e - "I'm not so good as this, but it's on the areas I'm looking to improve and is part of the reason I chose this company as I can gain experience in blah blah blah-"

- Turn up at least 10-15 minutes early. They'll call you in when they're ready.

- Willingness to learn and improve is often more important than pure skill so it's good to reinforce this. Pointing out areas in your old work you would improve given your current experience and skill level for example. I do that a lot.

- Look clean and presentable (obvious one)

- Highlight any other relevant skills you have which can help you appear more versatile.

Most of these points are probably quite obvious but anyway hope it helps. Good luck!
>>
>>239249
Very late reply, but thanks a lot for your input!

I passed the first interview and will go in for the second and final interview on Monday!
>>
>>239902
I'm going for a front end job too, but I've mostly worked with back end php/ajax stuff. Do you think I'll get it?
>>
Don't shit on your own work, the reflex to be modest makes it look like there's no reason they should take you seriously if you don't either. Have questions prepared that show you know what you're looking for in a job. Be upfront about not knowing much about a particular language or tool or framework, if you can demonstrate you'll learn it for them they'll appreciate the honesty.
>>
Maybe you guys also know what the typical questions for front-end developers are?
What if I don't know bootstrap too well (hate those uncontrollable div, i make my own responsive grid with flex), I know it depends from studio to another, but how big is common demand is?
>>
>>239934
you can learn bootstrap well very quickly, so it doesn't really matter. just say you don't use it often because ______ (there's a lot legitimate reasons tbh, bloat or looking the same as everything else etc), but you use also responsive grid frameworks and could pick it up as necessary.

What sorta front end is this? Any programming/js/ruby/etc? They may ask you to do some pseudo-code exercises (I know that's very common for back-end) but if it's mainly html/css/bit of php they will probably ask your opinion on certain methods or developments in those languages to see if you know about it but also if you think critically or have enough skill to make choices like that. For example, What do you think of the new CSS grid system that goes with flexbox? What do you think the best applications for flexbox are? How do you decide between mobile-first or desktop-first?

It may be nothing like that, companies are all pretty different and "front-end" can mean a lot of stuff nowadays.
>>
>>239939
OP here.

I had to do an assessment for this job, which was pretty simple. Basically I just had to find a way to get analytics data to show whenver people scrolled to a certain point on a page, and then make a page that shows some dynamically changing numbers. Like a tickets sold counter that should go up by 6000 every day. That ended up being done easily in JS.

As for the other tips in the thread, they're great!

I'm mainly not a web-guy, it's mostly been a hobby so I'm surprised I've even gotten this far in the interview process. If I "beat" the next interview on Monday, I'll get the job, so I'm pretty stoked for that.
>>
Cool, keep it up. Let us know how did it go.
>>
is it difficult to transition from design to front-end development? how hard/sophisticated is the coding aspect compared to back-end or other forms of programming?
>>
>>239236
So most front-end developer jobs out there ask for proficiency with: HTML 4 & 5 / CSS 2 & 3, Javascript / jQuery or any combination of them (depending on the employer). And if you come from a graphic design background that is a huge plus. Prove that you feel comfortable with at least 4 of those subjects and the job is yours. I was hired that way and I currently interview new candidates for the place I work. A college education is a plus but not mandatory.
>>
>>239985
not OP but it's hard and easy in different ways. it's easy because you have the design skills to start with good designs (provided you have some web-specific design skills) and you understand basic graphic principles in terms of text. HTML and CSS are also pretty easy compared to programming languages and back-end concepts. That being said, there's still a curve where the stuff you'll learn for a long time will not be nearly enough to make a contemporary website. Front-end also suffers from fractured skill requirements, it's not always clear as a beginner what you need until you find out trying to solve some other problem. eg HTML & CSS, but also jQuery/js, using and managing databases, knowing how to make or use PSD/sketch designs, keeping your shit responsive, dealing with legacy browsers and cross-browser compatibility, there's a lot of tinkering involved. But there's not much logic, not much math, and the syntax is very easy imo. Besides jQuery, it's just knowing what tags to wrap stuff with and knowing what your CSS options are for styling it, and doing that efficiently.

I'd say it's a lot of fun, it's a nice change of pace from illustrator and inDesign, it's a valuable skill even if just for yourself if you never get past a basic level, and you can become employable even if you're entirely self-taught. If you're considering it, check out team treehouse or lynda or codecademy and see if you like it.
>>
>>240000
>there's still a curve where the stuff you'll learn for a long time will not be nearly enough

(not above anon or op) I personally am at the middle of that frustration curve. Where I want it to be done and over with and jump right in. I had applied for a marketing assistant job where they asked for Html experience and GD, they chose someone who knew more html. It was pretty great experience because I got to know what they wanted from me and how I can improve my skills to better fit next time.
>>
Hey OP, how'd it go?
>>
>>239236
developer =/= graphic design
>>
>>240418
I'd argue that a developer, esp. front end, would need to at least understand some graphic design.
>They play with typography: body copy and typefaces, headings, logos
>Layouts: grids, balance, weight, visual spacing,
>Color: they create background colors to elements, colors for links, need pallets for color
>etc.
>>
>>240415
Hey, sorry I completely forgot to keep ya'll updated!

The second interview went really well I'd say. Judging by what I was told, they seemed satisfied with the way I do problem solving and some of the ideas and suggestions I had for taking their brand forward.

Now all there's left to do is sit back and wait for them to give me a call within the next couple of days.
>>
>>240529
I hope they call you, OP. Good luck!
>>
>>240557
They did.

I'M HIRED!
>>
>>240632
*clap clap clap clap clap*
Congrats fam.
>>
>>240632
Wage?
>>
>>240636
Thanks.

>>240655
130 DKK an hour. That's roughly $19/hr.
>>
Alright, going to the office tomorrow to sign the contract and start working!

Thank you for the support /GD/ !
I'm a very happy guy right at this moment.
>>
>>241203
I'm genuinely happy for you, man. Enjoy your new job.
>>
>>241211
Thanks a lot anon!

Just finished first day and it went well. I have some pretty cool coworkers.
>>
>>241309
you're welcome anon
>>
File: challenges.jpg (43KB, 545x500px) Image search: [Google]
challenges.jpg
43KB, 545x500px
>>241309

ok ok we're all happy for you anon. bravo.
now, although we're in gd, remember this is 4chan so...

>pics or it didn't happen
>>
>>241369
why do you care if he/she got the damn job?
>>
>>241386

to enrich that thrilling story of such a fast hiring adventure. maybe a picture of the workplace/workstation or a kinkiest collegue. you know, just for the lulz and shit
>>
>>241369
I'm only there two days a week, but I'll see if I can get a photo on Monday.

>>241417
It was fast as they needed me for a new team to try and increase sales through more specifically targeted campaigns and landing pages it seems.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.