[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gda/ - Graphic Design Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11

File: Blechman-and-Blechman.jpg (61KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Blechman-and-Blechman.jpg
61KB, 600x400px
/gda/ - Graphic Design Advice
>>
It's impossible to kern well without printing it.
>>
There are no bad fonts, even Comic Sans.
>>
When in doubt, shade every element of your project with gradients. If you want to be really detailed, make the strokes gradients too. Contrasting colors make the overall design appear more realistic.
>>
If you focus too much on one aspect of your work, other more important details go completely unnoticed. Hence the logos that look like buttplugs and dicks.
>>
Make mistakes
>>
Every, even the most miniscule, life situation requires a logo.
>>
>>238836
I have set my 4Chan to hide everything mentioning Comic Sans, so this being an advice thread, and assuming that this posts contains "Comic Sans", I'd like to introduce everyone on /gd/ to:
http://comicneue.com/
>>
File: screenshot.png (69KB, 604x424px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
69KB, 604x424px
- embed your images
- if your working on pictures in Photoshop to use in illustrator, dont save in png/jpg/etc, save in psd, it will work the same,but each time you make a change in ps it will change automatically in ai, saving you time
>>
i like this thread

but fuck you >>238843

ok
afew tips for printing
in attached picture
1- the black stroke is your outline, inside it is what the printers will give you

2- out side the black stroke is called "bleed", in the cutting phase , some times the blades move abit left, right etc, so you give it a little wiggle room so the finished product wont come out with little white areas on the sides
usually bleed is about 3mm

3- black line it self it used for what is called " die cut" its where the blade in the machine cuts to give you your product, put it on a different layer with its own crop mark

4- the black lines on the corners are called crop marks, when printing, the machine fixes it self on these crop marks so it knows where to print/cut
to create crop marks, click the object you want to print ( one inside the stroke, not bleed) and go Effect>crop mark
>>
File: screenshot2.png (41KB, 656x1093px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot2.png
41KB, 656x1093px
>>238921
forgot pic
>>
>>238921
informative! :) (not op)
>>
File: Wildjpg.jpg (7MB, 2000x2745px) Image search: [Google]
Wildjpg.jpg
7MB, 2000x2745px
if you use photoshop, learn illustrator.

if you use illustrator, learn photoshop
>>
>>238914
But does it come with tildes on bowels for spanish?
>>
>>238969
>bowels
kek
>>
File: screenshot3.png (25KB, 773x744px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot3.png
25KB, 773x744px
>>238937
thank you!

one more

when you make a newspaper ad, pay attention to text and the color of the background its on

-text on white background always comes out right
- on black/dark background things start to get weird, see black background with white text, if you make the font too fine, the edges of the text will fade out, thats because publishers dont use white ink ( few have the machine for it) so the text is actually negative space on black background, to combat this, make the text Bold, and not too small, that way when the black pools into the white text ( negative space ) the black ink wont eat alot from it, and you will still get a readable text
and that also depends on the quality of the newspaper publishers ( few are good )
>>
Get paid in cash so Uncle Sam won't steal $%.
>>
>>238954
This, being good at 2 programs can solve a lot of your problems
>>
Never stop drawings/sketching OFF THE COMPUTER.
>>
File: haha.jpg (30KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
haha.jpg
30KB, 400x267px
>>238914

I do that on reddit.com too! haha wicked!!
>>
Be objective about your work from the start.

Don't get attached to any one idea.

Don't ever take criticism of your work to heart, it doesn't represent you as a person.
>>
Overnight test. Walk away from your work/come back too it after 15mins. Look at it with fresh eyes.
>>
Read books about other disciplines (letterpress, photography, etc) or areas outside art and design entirely (physics, creative writing, a history of feudal japan whatever). Leave your house and experience lots of different stuff, your town probably has a lot going on that isn't on the first page of google. reading nothing and seeing nothing but others' graphic design means a trend becomes a meme until it's meaningless and trite within the week, and that's all you see.
>>
always draw or doodle

learn to screen-print by hand. make posters and shirts etc

no matter bad you are, play with photos you've taken

make a scrap book of ideas and cutouts
>>
>>238921
im a little confused. why exactly does the "die cut" need crop marks?
>>
File: _Client_Speak.jpg (111KB, 560x2048px) Image search: [Google]
_Client_Speak.jpg
111KB, 560x2048px
when using an image on a composition always change it to a smart object.

buy a camera and learn the basics (B&H@youtube) your work will look more realistic.

always change manually the kerning on titles and never on paragraphs.
>>
File: zaj.jpg (71KB, 1436x518px) Image search: [Google]
zaj.jpg
71KB, 1436x518px
It was .eps (left), I just dragged it in my untitled-1.ai and something goes wrong (right)...

Soo what happened? Any ideas? Fixes? Clues? Anything ?
>>
Never underestimate the importance of spell checking.

>>239968
>>
Start with a higher price than they might accept.

You can always discount it, but you can hardly ever raise the price during negotiations.
>>
>>240889
True that ! Make the real price looks like a discount for them if they dont accept the higher one. They gonna think you're a good guy as well tho and increase the fidelity of your client / next ones.
>>
>>240520
You again? Check your own thread for the answer noob.
>>
Hey /gd/. Does anyone have a πr8'd version of PS or a link to the download? I want to get into gd but I don't the money for PS.

Please no clickb8 virus stuff. Thanks.
>>
>>240900
That post was posted before the other post was posted.
you noob person guy
>>
File: vip.png (1001B, 11x11px) Image search: [Google]
vip.png
1001B, 11x11px
>>241083
go to piratebay and download it.

Be 100% sure that the uploader has a skull like pic related to make sure it's legit.
>>
File: 1439411585741.png (73KB, 201x226px) Image search: [Google]
1439411585741.png
73KB, 201x226px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UORGPjmxcb4
>>
>>241139
context?
>>
Anyone know a more efficient way to style pic related? Manually going through and selecting the lines and applying the style is getting boring.
>>
>>241194
There's a style eyedropper. Not sure if it works with what you're doing, but works for fonts and sizes.
>>
>>241194
Dude, if you want to apply a paragraph style, you just need to have your cursor in that paragraph. No need to select all your text.
To apply a character style tho, you have to select all targeted characters.
This being said, if you double clic on a word and hold your clic, you then select word by word when moving your mouse. Which makes it a bit easier to select whole bunch of text rapidly

There is an style eyedropper but I never use it. I think it appears if you press alt when using the regular eyedropper it gives you a little "T" and it applies styles. Not sure tho so if some expert anon would correct me it would be kind.
>>
>>241205
>>241201
I have to manually select all of the text because there's a return afterwards, if I just clicked then it would only apply the style to that line. Thanks for the style eyedropper tip though, beats selecting all the text then clicking on the style.
I was really hoping for some sort of find and replace next style kinda thing, something where I could automatically apply a style between certain styles.
[spoiler]I'm already done anyway but thanks for your help guys[/spoiler]
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.