[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

company pays me $$$$ to make logo for them i deliver they pay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: Unknown.jpg (6KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
6KB, 240x160px
company pays me $$$$ to make logo for them
i deliver
they pay me
then they fuck it all up and use it incorrectly

what's the point of spending 40 hours stressing over a design when other people take a dump on it?

how do i control the way its used next time?
>>
You don't. They paid you, it's up to them how to use it.
>>
>>238038
im in the wrong game then
>>
>>238036
answer- you cant. Some clients are shit like this one, others will respect you more as a designer. I hate to say it, but the more powerful the company, the more freedom and respect the designer gets. Head for that market, not the people at Design Crowd.
>>
>>238042
do they get it in writing or some shit? what the brand design includes etc?
>>
>>238036
post the logo
>>
>>238044
I'd imagine most design studios compile all their research, experimentation and progress into a document along with the finished Identity. Over the summer the design studio I was working with did that for all their clients.
>>
>>238046
irrelevant

>>238047
>research, experimentation and progress
which has nothing to do with how it should be used. it only shows the value of the solution
>>
>>238048
I'd presume that a document as relentless as that would atleast include mockups and examples of how the design is meant to be used- letterheads, icons, business cards etc.

It doesn't just 'show the value of the solution', it shows the value of the time spent as a designer. They WANT to know they're not being conned.
>>
>>238049
>It doesn't just 'show the value of the solution', it shows the value of the time spent as a designer. They WANT to know they're not being conned.
same thing

the "style guide" is cool, but it's like a chef telling his customers how to cook their own food so they don't have to come back to his restaurant. i don't see the point. just let one designer do everything and gtf out of the way
>>
>>238050
Not really. You're talking about a client as if they haven't paid anything.
>>
It's not your logo, it's theirs. They can do whatever they want with it, they don't owe you shit.
>>
If you supplied a logo without a style guide, then they can do whatever the hell they want.

If you supplied a logo with a style guide, they can still do whatever the hell they want, but at least whoever is meant to be putting the logo into practical application has something to reference.

If you supplied the logo with a style guide, and then went through the style guide with the client and explained that this is the way things are meant to be... they can still do whatever the hell they want. They paid you for the logo.

If you're not handling the rest of their stuff, it's out of your hands.
>>
/gd/ is not art. it's business
>>
>>238050

The style guide is a butcher telling his retailer how to not ruin the meat before it reaches the store and poisons all his customers.
>>
>>238126
>butcher
The graphic designer is not the butcher. The graphic designer makes the meat look presentable to the buyers.
>>
A style guide from a designer to a company is really just a set of recommendations, nothing more. A designer cannot mandate when and/or how a design can be used unless they own the rights to it. If a company pays you to create something by rights the final product is theirs to do with as they see fit, even if you don't agree. If you're really proud of the original work and feel it's worthy of your portfolio, then include it. If you feel what they have done has irrevocably damaged your work and would make portfolio inclusion impossible then just take the money and run. I know I've done work that really pleased my client to no end but I couldn't stand it. I still got paid for it though, and that's what this is all about isn't it?
>>
>>238204
>I still got paid for it though, and that's what this is all about isn't it?
what about my reputation as a designer? it affects how much demand i'll get and the amount i can charge.
>>
>>238067
>this
After you get paid, shut up and move on.
>>
>>238206
Don't show it in your portfolio then.
>>
>>238207
Agreed, on both counts. This isn't art and you were paid. In the end you both got what you wanted.
>>
>>238211

the worst part about gd for pay is dealing with people's shitty taste. buy a craft beer and pat yourself on the back
>>
Two things

Make sure you got paid enough that you can turn your head away and just not think about it

Put the definitive version on your site to make yourself feel much better
>>
>>238036
this >>238038
and this >>238066
its not your fault if you tell them how to use what you made for them, they already paid for it they can wipe their ass with it if they want just to see you suffer, but they already paid you to use that logo to wipe their asses. its not your fault their are assholes. its them that dont know what they've got in their hands
>>
I guess its just me and my emotional immaturity but I dont see the problem here. They bought it, it is no longer yours. The best you can do now is go to them and offer suggestions on how it should be used and examples of how it would be better then it is being used right now. Unless you make then feel like they are losing potential business theres really no point in listening to you when you go to them.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.