[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Core2Quad/Core2-based Xeon in 2017?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: c2q.jpg (146KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
c2q.jpg
146KB, 1280x960px
Serious question here: I'm currently running a Gateway ZX4300 all-in-one shit machine and it's dying. I've done all the tricks to keep it alive but it's pretty much done for and I'm now running a remote session into it from my laptop just to use it. I'm low as fuck on money and the situation won't be getting better any time soon so I'm looking at old refurb machines to bide my time until my money situation improves. I can score an old Dell or Lenovo machine that can be upgraded to a C2Q 9550 for $100-$120 easily and I've seen a couple of older Dell Precision workstations that can be upgraded to a pair of quad core Xeon X5355's for about $150. What's attractive about the Precision workstations is that I can toss up to 32GB of RAM in it, making running multiple VM's much easier.

But... It's 2017, not 2006 when these processors were new. How bad would it be to run something like that nowadays? I'm not really a gaymer except emulated games via MAME, ePSXE, NullDC, and the like and the occasional UT99, UT2003, or Q3A deathmatch and I have a Radeon HD5830 in storage that's pretty much up to the task for that shit.

What say /g/?
>>
You could probably find a Dell with an i5 2400 for that same ballpark price
>>
>>62485802

Nah, I've tried. Best I could do was a 1st gen i5-650 for $150.
>>
>>62485946
Just search around eBay/CL until you can score a good deal.
>>
>>62486028

Did spot a couple of i3's on Newegg. My laptop has a 1.2GHz i3-u330m in it w/8GB of RAM on tap. I've run two Linux VM's with full blown desktops on it in the past when absolutely necessary so I at least have a baseline to work from with that thing. Maybe an i3 would work out? The Gateway I need to replace is running an Athlon II 235e, but I'm capped at 4GB of RAM on it.
>>
>>62486169
The real issue is going to be finding an OEM PC with a PSU that can handle your 175 watt HD5830.
>>
>>62486199

Realistically, I'll probably need to replace it. The Precision 490 I found has a 750W PSU that could handle it easily, but so far that's the only machine that can do it. If I went with one of the i3 or i5 machines I'd have to either go with the Intel HD crap built-in or find one of those crippled low power Radeon HD6000 or HD7000 joints.
>>
E5440 owner here.
I'd say don't get 53xx series Xeons, they run quite hot and lack SSE4.1, which means some new games won't even run on them. 54xx are the bare minimum CPU I'd recommend for gaming these days. As for everyday tasks, they chew through them like nothing.
Pic related.
>>
>>62485771
I have a ThinkPad T400 with Core2 Duo P8400 in it that I'm posting from now. I have an external hard drive that I hook up using the expansion slot which provides a USB 3 port and I boot Windows XP off the hard drive. I can play pretty much any game that came out before 2005 or 2006 if it's on low settings and I only have the built in Intel graphics with 128MB vRAM and I have 4GB system RAM. I'm sure you'll be fine.
>>
>>62486321
I have an X200 (P8700) and it works great. You should think about ditching XP and get a GNU/Linux distribution and then flash the mobo with libreboot. The libreboot BIOS will double your vRAM to 256MB, it will make a huge difference. Also, although it's not technically supported, you can add 8GB of RAM.
>>
>>62485771
Don't do the Ppprecision 490: They're capped at .5 gb's of Vram(Personal experience). I would suggest an Optiplex(matx) and thhen save up for a low power gpu, like a 1030. Optiplexes have a nasty feature where the pcie connector can only support 35 watts, but they're in your budget at least
>>
>>62487115

I found a couple of older i3 Optiplex towers that could handle 75W at the PCIe connector (Opti 390 and 3010). The desktop FF 3010 can handle 50W whereas the 390 was capped at 25W, meaning at best I could do is an HD6450 (not so bad, my daughter has an ASUS HD6450 in her machine and she's happy with it).

Interestingly enough, the Core2 machines can handle the same or better, particularly the desktop FF machines (40W). Space is a premium which is why I'm using the all-in-one machine over the desktop I have in storage (which is even slower since it's a Pentium D 950 w/4GB RAM).
>>
>>62486321

Have you ever run VM's on your C2D? That's a big part of what I do. Right now I run them from my laptop for the most part, but have a couple of small cli-based CentOS 7 vm's I run on the Gateway, mostly for testing Ansible playbooks for work.
>>
>>62487115
>They're capped at .5 gb's of Vram(Personal experience).
are you sure it didn't just need a BIOS update to handle newer chipsets? it makes no sense to me that a system would handle memory that isn't even directly attached to it that way
>>
>>62488589

I saw that there were issues with some newer cards, but nothing about being limited to 512MB.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.