[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/cseg/ - Computer Science Engineering General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: lcubemap.gif (2KB, 258x229px) Image search: [Google]
lcubemap.gif
2KB, 258x229px
I'm starting my computer science course tomorrow. Anyone have tips on making it through? I was a pretty shitty student in highschool but cs interests me a lot.
I came to know some people who're starting cs as well but they're all csgo fagits who've never used linux and don't care about being part of the botnet.
>>
be prepared for a lot of maths
>>
You will get good at programming if you program. But don't burn out.

Learn math
>>
>>62482652
>>>/sci/
>>
>>62482652
A lot of people youll meet are just there to make money and get a job or an internship at a big 4 company because it will look good. Dont worry about them just focus on learning because you think computers are really cool and not be influenced by what others will perceive you as.
>>
>>62482652
kill yourself
>>
you will still find a lot of retards there and almost nobody cares about botnet shit they will just want things done.
Just focus on learning and do it by yourself.
>>
>>62482652
>Anyone have tips on making it through?
>Prepare for lectures/tutorial sessions
>Make sure to ask questions on stuff you don't understand
>Don't fall behind
Applies to literally every course out there.
>>
>>62482652
I would start reading papers that interest you over at ACM SIG, pick an area or a few that interest you and read academic papers. Kids these days have such a short attention span, so unfortunately not many are able to read papers at great lengths so you need to build discipline and a passion for this, this is how you'll get your foot in the door in academia and research and eventually grad school if you so desire. After you've read through a few and understand them, do some background research on your professors and then go talk to them if they have any research opportunities or such. Being a stellar student is a given.

https://www.acm.org/sigs/
>>
>>62482652

Some tips?

1) Don't panic. The race is long, even if you miss a task or get shit grades: in 10 years, nobody will give a damn.

2) Don't get frustrated.
You'll feel stupid. That's normal. You will search for an mistake for hours only to find it was a simply typo. You will never make this mistake again.

3) Keep on going. Even if you get lost and simply can't get into a certain topic, try to get the next one and close the gaps later.

4) Talk to people. That's really important. Programming is more fun if you can talk to others.

5) Math and programming are both hard, but they are very different, so be prepared:

>Programming
Everything looks simple, but when you fully understand it, it's more complicated than you thought.
Planning a programm is easy, but in practice it's hard because there are many details.

>Math
Everything sounds veyr complicated, but when you fully understand it, it's simpler than you thought.
Getting the right idea about how to solve a mathematical problem is difficult, but once you got the right idea the calculations are often very easy.

6) Programming is about getting through the lessons, but the "practical side" of programming is something you have to learn by yourself. University eats up a lot of time, but in your second year you should start coding for yourself. It's better for yourself and way more fun. You got to OWN langauges, make it YOUR C. Languages aren't your enemy, bugs and complexity are.

7) You'll hear a lot of stuff that sounds boring and unnecesasry. But try to learn what you can. Many things sound stupid and weird, but you'll be surprised that years later you'll find they are important.

8) Work with time buffers. Don't do the lesson the evening before you have to finish it. It's easy to programm when you are calm and hard when you work under pressure.

9) You can do it, so don't even worry. Fake it till you make it. If you think you are morpheus, you are.
>>
File: 1504998636857.png (457KB, 483x516px) Image search: [Google]
1504998636857.png
457KB, 483x516px
>>62482652
>
/g/ is full of absolute tech illiterates altough they wouldnt admit it
I highly doubt you'd get any useful info regarding to computer structure
>>
>>62483282
>>62483298
>>62483350
>>62483361
>>62483442
>>62483504
>>62483625
>>62483731
Thanks some great advice! I really appreciate it
>>
You should try the MIT challenge:

https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2012/09/27/mit-challenge-done/

It might help you out a lot and expose you to shit a little beforehand.
>>
>>62483791
Spaced repetition has been psychologically proven to be better for learning.

It's better to study a topic for 30 minutes 5 days a week than to cram 2 hours into one day.
>>
>>62482652
Use khan academy or other online resource as a refresher on math
Maybe take an online CS course like Sedgewicks Princeton course to get an idea of what you're in for beforehand, so you don't go in completely blind
>>
>>62483890

Not sure about this one..

For theroretical leraning I agree, but programming itself is a lot about "getting into the zone".

I'd rather do a 3 hours lesson then working for 30 minutes every day, because you'll need 20 minutes to "get into it". But I guess it's different for everyone..
>>
>>62483887
>>62483937

I would not recommend this.
If you look at the whole mountain, it can be very intimidating.

Rather focus on waht's right in front of you and save the rest for later..
>>
>>62483952
You are completely right.

For completing a programming assignment, I agree that I'd rather spend a few hours working at it because if I drop it and pick it up again later I'll have lost whatever "flow" I had going.

But for learning concepts like algorithmic analysis, math, etc, usually one day you'll find that they just "click" for you, and it isn't because you spent hours reading about it, it's because you exposed yourself to it a little bit here and there
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.