[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the most reliable way to back up my anime? I have a bunch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: 1481853919749.jpg (346KB, 1104x1104px) Image search: [Google]
1481853919749.jpg
346KB, 1104x1104px
What is the most reliable way to back up my anime?
I have a bunch of high-quality series I want to be able to access whenever (and from any mainstream OS). I'd buy an external hard drive but if it breaks I'm fucked.
>>
>>62477440
dropbox
>>
>>62477454
This might actually be the most reliable, but I don't want to pay out of the ass every year for 1+TB of file hosting.
>>
inorganic(non-LTH) BD-R
>>
make a bittorrent and just seed it. Eventually other people will get it and just store the small torrent files everywhere.
>>
>>62477481
How is that related to what I'm asking?
>>62477501
Sounds pretty unpractical though.
>>
>>62477551
It will last until you die.
>>
>>62477588
Burning everything to BD-R discs?
Is it really the physical support that's the least likely to fail?
It would take a lot of time and discs to store close to 1TB of media.
>>
Smaller (or big ones if you can afford) pairs of external hard-drives. Sony, Toshiba, or Samsung (or at least NOT Seagate or WD). Arranged in RAID. Or use them to make back-ups (as in the old school: copy everything to both disks, check they are actually equal, and keep them stored at least 500 mts. away from each other). There are no other answers...
>>
>>62477641
You don't need to burn them all at once. 50 disc spindle is cheap.
>>
>>62477440
>anime
Hi!
Go to hell.
>>
>>62477440
NAS with >3 HDDs in RAID6
>>
Buy two of those WD 8tb things that go on sale, shuck the HDDs and put them in a raid setup. 7.2TB of animu backup.
>>
>>62477717
RAID 5 and 6 are bad jokes and anyone who suggests either should be taken out into the streets and shot.
>>
>>62477440
It seems like HDD is the best choice, or there is none without drawbacks
>Cloud services
won't last forever, account can be banned for muh piracy, limited space, annually paid, years of up/down times depending of anime Quality. I'm guessing if you looking for such solutions, you don't store 720p 4GB total series, but rather 2GB per episode.
>BD discs
won't last forever + they actually take space + you actually have to have optical drive + it would be shit to put more than one series on a disc
>HDD
might break, but realistically how often do you break your HDD? Cheap GB/$, can seed from storage, can just add more HDD to the multi HDD case.
>>
>>62477853
What are the most reliable HDDs currently on the market?
>>
>>62477809
What would you use instead?
>>
>>62477440
How many animes can you put on a HDD, just a ballpark figure is ok?
>>
File: for_lewding.jpg (191KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
for_lewding.jpg
191KB, 1024x640px
>>62477713

>anime website
>>
>>62478019
Depends on the size of your series
Just a dozen series of 25 episodes each take around 500GB of space for me
>>
>>62477963
FreeBSD + ZFS + ECC + RaidZ/Raid10
>>
>>62478022
>shitty meme
>>
>>62477440
Yu sit ap a fileservur.
>>
>>62477963
Standard RAID 1 for two, RAID 1E for three, and RAID 10(f2) for more than that. All implemented through bog-standard md.

RAID 5 and 6 come from a time where a terrabyte disk was the height of luxury - meaning most rebuilds were intensive but short. In 2017, a 4TB disk starts at $100. Rebuilding that will thrash the shit out of the disks that haven't dropped for at least a full day, more than likely hitting an uncorrectable read error. I'd argue that RAID 6 is just RAID 5 with the inevitable URE accounted for. I don't suggest ZFS's Z1/Z2/Z3 for the same reasons, although its on-line error correction does make it far less of a worry, and a viable option for people with a sizable budget.

Legitimately, for home use, something like HAMMER's mirror-stream or a script using inotifywait and rsync is enough. One for daily use with one as an online backup is more than most people would ever need.
>>
I just use a NAS and stream everything with plex when I'm out.
>>
>>62477440
Whats the best site to download shows?
>>
>>62478918
nyaa.si
>>
>>62478929
Thank you anon
>>
Buy 2 boxes in 2 different datacenters, throw the shit on raid 6. You can also look into aws.
>>
>>62477440
then it wasn't a backup

for some reason, a few people seem to think a backup is when you move data to a permanent storage location
this is not the case, a backup is a additional copy of data, if you move the data, it no longer exists at the original location, and you have not made a copy
>>
>not using ZFS
What is wrong with you, anon?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.