[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did so many servers switch from Red Hat and CentOS to Debian/Ubuntu?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: os-linux-comp-1605.png (22KB, 535x474px) Image search: [Google]
os-linux-comp-1605.png
22KB, 535x474px
Why did so many servers switch from Red Hat and CentOS to Debian/Ubuntu? What are the advantages?
>>
Its cheaper (free) and does basicly the same!
>>
>>62476837
In the short run it reduces support payments to Red Hat so you can get your bonus for "reduced costs"

In the long run when you get hacked, it doesn't matter because muh golden parachute
>>
Because of lennart Poettering
>>
>>62476837
They switched to ubuntu because stupid ignorant users.
They switched to debian due to stability and consistency.
>>
>>62476837
> 32% in total
what are other 68% then?
I doubt Apple's OS is more than 5% and all BSD are more than 20%. Is Windows the dominating OS among Server OSes nowadays?
>>
>>62478881
The rest is Gentoo brah.
>>
easier to start shit going; more shit preinstalled so your web software just goes
means you can go through more servers faster and get more up and running
as often with linux, if it breaks, it's quicker to reinstall than figure out wtf is wrong and how the fuck to fix it, so install/setup time is key
>>
>>62476837
>Why did so many servers switch from Red Hat and CentOS to Debian/Ubuntu
I haven't used RedHat since the 90's but I have used Centos 6 and 7. And it sucks.
Debian, and by extension Ubuntu, are much easier (for me) to run and administrate.

The gymnastics you have to do in CentOS to do some basic shit is maddening, not to mention the repositories are lacking a lot of basic shit.
>>
>>62476837
If this is true then how come Canonical is still heavily in debt? Even with the "donations" from Microsoft they still couldn't make any money
>>
>>62479128
Are they in debt? Source?
>>
>>62476837
the funny thing is that SUSE is better than all of them. It's miles easier to congigure and comes wtth many cool features like real time kernel patching.
>>
>>62478881
>>>62476837 (OP)
>> 32% in total
>what are other 68% then?
>I doubt Apple's OS is more than 5% and all BSD are more than 20%. Is Windows the dominating OS among Server OSes nowadays?

Lolwut

http://technology.inquirer.net/50254/linux-operating-system-personal-computer-software/operating-system-servers-market-share-linux-windows-computers
>>
>>62479400
>http://technology.inquirer.net/50254/linux-operating-system-personal-computer-software/operating-system-servers-market-share-linux-windows-computers
Thanks for wasting my bandwidth to load a webpage with shitty ads and popups for a single pic. Should have just posted the picture faggot.
>>
>>62479596
what about oracle
>>
>>62479596
wut? I've opened the page, 0 ads. Try to block ads through hosts file.
>>62479400
Too bad it doesn't show specific linux distributes, because I thought the ones shown in the oppic were the most popular ones.
>>
>>62479636
>what about oracle
Not even Oracle runs Solaris
>>
>>62479596

You're very welcome. Also, install an ad blocker, dude!
>>
How true is it that Silicon Valley is CentOS territory? If so, why? CentOS didn't seem that incredible to me. Does it do anything significantly better than Debian?
>>
>>62479128
>how come Canonical is still heavily in debt?
Probably from wasting money on developing all of their special snowflake projects. Shuttlecock finally woke up and axed them because they were bleeding him dry and weren't actually a whole lot different or better than already existing projects.
>>
>>62476837
My first guess is that because so many people who start using Linux pick Ubuntu(or derivative) as their first distro, that means many people default to Ubuntu and Debian because just about everyone is already familiar with them at least in some capacity.
>>
>>62479385
I used to use SuSE a lot, but these days despite YaST it feels a bit lacking in terms of package selection. Most of what I do server-wise doesn't even need YaST either. So I just gave up and started using ubuntu instead.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.