[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is dropbox botnet? what cloud file storage do you use, /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: 64378527_p0_master1200.jpg (246KB, 415x600px) Image search: [Google]
64378527_p0_master1200.jpg
246KB, 415x600px
is dropbox botnet? what cloud file storage do you use, /g/?
>>
>>62475117
Once you start using the service, they practically own your files, and can do whatever they want with them. Go and make your assumptions.
I personally use my own, self-hosted service.
>>
>>62475117
>is dropbox botnet?
Yeah, "deleted" files mysteriously reappeared for some people some time ago, meaning they keep your shit without your consent.

>what cloud file storage do you use, /g/?
None.
>>
>>62475133
kek nerd

just use dropbox or google drive

dont use icloud because 4chan is gonna hack you
>>
Or... you can use any botnet cloud storage but encrypt your data.
>>
>>62475117
I use a self hosted Nextcloud instance, but if I didn't have that option I'd look into either google drive or onedrive with encrypted files.

Keep in mind that most of the spying they do on you is for knowing how often a user opens .docx files vs .pdf, at what time of the day users interact most often with .mp4 files and so on, i.e. metadata. Encrypting individual files doesn't help against that.
>>
>>62475179
Encryption can still technically be bruteforced. I'd rather not give them that data, when they'd have all the time in the world to try and crack it.
Is there even a way to easily encrypt something on the fly with a cloud service like that? I can only think of things that would manually require action, which would be a hassle.
>>
>>62475222
>use a self hosted Nextcloud instance
how does one setup something like this?
>>
>>62475117
nextcloud
>>
>>62475349
you install it, create a user and then go to the web interface to complete the setup.
I would also reccomend to get a domain and setup letsencrypt so you have a valid cert, this makes it a lot less painful when you connect phones and your desktop.
>>
>>62475117
MEGA and self hosted ownCloud. I plan to fully migrate to ownCloud this year.
>>
>>62475391
thanks, anon. i'll look into this. do you need to have a dedicated server pc for this? i currently only have a laptop and a smartphone with me
>>
>>62475418
Look for a VPS provider. I use digital ocean
>>
The only files i need to have access to on different computers are textfiles, so i just use private github repos, which i get for free since i'm a student.
>>
>>62475266
>Thinking properly encrypted files can be brute forced within the lifespan of the universe

Not gonna make it
>>
>>62475141
I had 2gb file deleted two years ago. recently I've wanted to re-upload it, and it was synced in seconds (despite my upload speed being 1mbps). I don't think they ever delete files.
>>
>>62475473
https://www.reddit.com/r/theydidthemath/comments/1x50xl/time_and_energy_required_to_bruteforce_a_aes256/
Haha, guess I'm retarded and you're right. Except if quantum computers become a thing or something, but that's a whole different issue.
>>
>>62475418
Nextcloud is a client server setup.
You setup a server that holds the latest version of your files.
Then you install a client which talks to the server.
When you transfer a file from your phone to your laptop, you transfer it through the client on the phone to the server to the client on the laptop.
So you need your server to be turned on whenever your clients needs to transfer files, I recomend to have one turned on at all times with a fixed domain, it doesn't have to be a huge setup, you can get by with a raspberry pi or do as >>62475434 and use a VPS like digital ocean.
Digital ocean is very good to toy with if you want to test it and see if it is something you want to do.
They offer a $5 starting capital when you sign (so one month free with the cheapest option) and you can pay hourly (20 days = 1 month) so if you want to test it out for a few hours at the time over a longer period, you can stretch it out for a while.
The "problem" with digital ocean is you don't get a ton of space and it is a lot cheaper to setup a computer in your own home that does this if you only need a simple server.
If you need a ton of servers and you want to instantly start and stop servers, digital ocean is the way to go, no doubt. I use it all the time and it is really good.
>>
>>62475491
>>62475141
http://www.drop-dropbox.com/
literal botnet and backdoor for NSA
>>
>>62475403
>>62475222
>>62475355
>>62475534
Any particular differences beside UI between this two? Any security/performance issues?
>>
>>62475144
setting up something like nextcloud is so easy even you could probably do it
>>
>>62475577
A quick google showed me that nextcloud is basically owncloud, but open source.
>>
>>62475577
Between what?
Owncloud and nextcloud?
Nextcloud is a newer fork of owncloud.
It is libreoffice vs OpenOffice.
>>
Set up your own file server and access files through SolidExplorer (on mobile devices)
>>
>>62475506
You're probaly referring to this issue >>62475308
>>
>>62475589
AFAIK both are.
>>62475593
Thanks anon.
>>
what about mega?
>>
>>62475117
>what cloud file storage do you use, /g/?
Mine
>>
>>62476874
>>
MEGA because I don't give a fuck
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.