[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Enterprise HDDs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1365111-n1.jpg (39KB, 488x700px) Image search: [Google]
1365111-n1.jpg
39KB, 488x700px
Thinking about getting a large enterprise HDD, ~10Tb. Are there any reliable sources on failure rates of those helium drives? I'm planning to get one with 5 years of warranty anyway, but warranty won't protect me from data loss.
Also is there any major difference between the different companies? Like supportwise or something?

Did any of you ever use a small SSD (like 32-64gb) as cache for such a HDD, was it worth it?
>>
>>62464589
nobody`?
>>
>>62464589
backblaze does some numbers but they only review so often https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q1-2017/
>>
2 Small drives > 1 big drive

Modern software arrays are awesome and outperform hardware raids on many levels, currently BTRFS and ZFS are the best choices for home NAS.

>Did any of you ever use a small SSD (like 32-64gb) as cache for such a HDD
On my ZFS raidz i used 12Gb of RAM as ARC cache and 64Gb of flash storage as L2ARC with a 100% hit ratio, meaning that my drives never needed to be woke up unless i was writing on them and at the time i was seeding dozens of torrents.
>>
File: 1442326870386.jpg (13KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1442326870386.jpg
13KB, 250x250px
>>62464589
>enterprise HDD
>10TB
>>
>>62464968
I'm planning on getting a second big one in the not so far future as a backup, but currently I don't have the money.
Where I'm at (germany) power is fucking expensive. The difference between 2 10TB hdds and 4 5tb hdds alone would cost me about 20€ every year, including the premium for a 4 bay NAS I can buy a new HDD every few years just by the money I'd burn.

Your experience with SSD cache sounds very promising.

>>62464814
Thanks for that, I already know about backblaze though. While their statistics are pretty nice, they got barely any 8Tb hdds running, much less 10Tb+

>>62465041
What are you implying? That all enterprise HDDs are spinning their 750gb at 15k rpm?
>>
>>62465155
You're gonna need at least 2 HDDs regardless if you care about the data at all.

Also, raid is not a backup.
>>
>>62465604
I did not plan to use it in RAID, but at different locations and mirrored. It's mainly to store series and music which I'll most likely keep on my seedbox as well.
>>
Storage is ephemeral. 100% of the time. Stop thinking of disks as "What stores your data" and start thinking of them like plants. They're going to die and they might die out of nowhere because of some blight or plague you never considered or thought about and if you don't have a plan in place for what happens when they die, your family will not survive the winter.

Disk manufacturers literally do not matter. Disks do not matter. What matters are volumes and arrays. What matters is your plan for having a replacement disk in there ASAP and rebuilding the array/volume when it does happen. Check what the manufacturer's warranty is, if they'll easily ship you a replacement with little friction, and ideally have a spare available.
>>
>>62464589
The failure rate wont be applicable to you as you will use the server differently.
>>
>>62467779
>>62467940
That's only partly true. Seagate had some faulty lines in the past with horrible failure rates.
With the new sealed helium plates I simply meant to ask if there's oen of those faulty lines out there again to stay away from. Just take a look at the seagates in the backblaze link the other anon linked.
>>
Don't count on it lasting beyond the warranty period. Especially with helium. Helium leaks out of everything, it doesn't matter how well-sealed. It works its way straight through the metal and silicone over time.
Always have a backup plan.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.