[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

give me a non half assed open source clone of this program and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Foobar2000.jpg (86KB, 571x671px) Image search: [Google]
Foobar2000.jpg
86KB, 571x671px
give me a non half assed open source clone of this program and i will make the switch to loonix immediately.
>>
>>62450853
What's so special about foobar2000 that you have to use it?
>>
freetards;
> "just stop listening to music"
>>
>>62450853
>non half assed
>open source

Pick one.
>>
>>62450853
mpd or mpv
>>
>>62450853
DeaDBeeF is close enough
>>
>>62450853
Is it really that hard to implement a music player with highly customizable interface like foobar2000 for linux? With the amount of fans of this piece of software I am surprised there is not at least a hobby project going around.
>>
clementine is kind of close.
>>
>>62450853
Almost no free software has a good UI, and I understand why. I've done a fair bit of UI work, and this is what I've noticed:
>it's a huge timesink
>it's a significant source of bugs
>every time you think you're done, the testers find another edge case
>it is basically impossible to write it completely cleanly. Any non-trivial UI will have some hackery in there, probably a lot of it
>simple things that you would expect to be easy end up being very hard, usually due to some deficiencies in the model layer or problems managing/monitoring background threads
>it's not particularly satisfying to work on- because when you're done fixing something, the software can't actually do anything it couldn't before
Despite all of that, a nice polished UI is vital for productivity and (especially) for onboarding new users. So it gets done, but I certainly wouldn't do it for free.

It would be hypothetically possible to crowdfund and pay professional UI designers to improve (or more likely completely rewrite) the GUI layer of various FOSS tools. I'm skeptical, though. Crowdfunding for new features has worked in the past, but UI is more wooly.
>you've billed $xxx and all we have to show for it is a slightly more responsive menu?!
Professional project managers understand that these things need done. I'm not so sure about the general public.
>>
>>62451065
But there is. Just look back at ricing threads.
>>
I used to use Foobar but I switched to Quod Libet. The perfect music player, for me.
>>
>>62450853
lollypop
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.