[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 55

File: we g now.gif (1MB, 690x200px) Image search: [Google]
we g now.gif
1MB, 690x200px
Use a search engine before posting

Previous Thread: >>62436648
>>
I currently have ubuntu 17.04 installed on my laptop, and after recently installing gnome I can't even login.
The computer freezes completely, only action I can do is force it to shutdown. It also seems to be using 100% of everything as it overheats and shutsdown by itself after 10 minutes.
Any ideas what the fuck is causing this? Computer works perfectly fine in recovery mode.
I have a HD8800M as graphics card, which is no longer supported so I have no amd driver for it. Tried an open-source driver but nothing changed, its still overheating and freezing.
I also hade all things related to bluetooth uninstalled since previously what was causing the freezes (before gnome) was errors with bluetooth starting up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been going back and forth reading threads on AskUbuntu for more than 3 hours now.
>>
>>62446676
All PCs with Intel have a backdoor?
>>
Is it worth defragmenting your HDD?
>>
>>62447117
Most likely. AMD? Probably not.
>>
I can't think of exactly what board this question belongs on so fuck it I'll ask here.
If I'm doing a search of something on youtube, is there any way to omit all videos from a certain user from that search?
>>
Does anyone know what % youtube of views per 1000 clicks I would get through youtube advertising?

I.e I put $1 in it shows 1000 ads, it gets 1000 clicks. How many views roughly will it get?
>>
>>62447166
Go look at AMD's PSP.

It has more access than anything Intel has on their chips, and it's running off of a standard ARM TrustZone setup. It's a literal poojeet setup because they don't have the money to go with a custom setup.
>>
I probably fired the mobo of my wd external hard drive
can I stil salveage the data, where can I go to do this? that wont charge me much
>>
Can anyone recommend me a laptop for school? I want a good battery, SSD, fast with opening up (((chrome))),thin to fit in a north face backpack and make as little noise as possible. Also being able to run rainmeter to make it comfy. Pricerange is about 700-1000 and preferably no autistic colours (just black and white or gray and those neutral colours)
>>
What SoC could Sony use for a new hybrid handheld? Assuming they want to shit on the Switch.
>>
File: 1505427159287.jpg (848KB, 1181x1688px) Image search: [Google]
1505427159287.jpg
848KB, 1181x1688px
I just installed Fedora 26, but I can't make the Trackpoint works correctly, it works, but it's too slow, and scrolling it's too slow too, I tried with xinput but none of these seems to be the Trackpoint.
Tried on Preferences > Mouse > Acceleration, but stills too slow and no scroll configuration.

l[a@Thinkpad ~]$ xinput
⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ xwayland-pointer:13 id=6 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ xwayland-relative-pointer:13 id=7 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ xwayland-keyboard:13 id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
[a@Thinkpad ~]$
>>
File: time.png (125KB, 1103x940px) Image search: [Google]
time.png
125KB, 1103x940px
WHich one is the best?
>>
>>62447371
from a youtubers point of view, I received about 1 euro per 1000 views (that's more than a dollar I think)
however as a watcher, I only ever clicked an ad like once or twice and even then it was by accident. so I have no clue how is it possible for the system to work
>>
File: file.png (4KB, 122x146px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
4KB, 122x146px
any Photoshop fags here?

I recently got the CC version after using some old version forever, so all these new features are fucking me over.
I made a new document, which apparently is an "artboard" now, pasted in an image and used the cropping tool to resize it to fit.

Now when I save it it saves it at the original size, so I have my cropped image but it still has the size of the original document all around it.
>>
>>62447947
You need to scale the canvas down or take the selection of the new crop and make a new image from it
>>
>>62446676
>tfw AMD and nVidia have switched
>>
>>62447964
>You need to scale the canvas down
how do I do that? to me it looks like it is the size I want it to be, like before saving it's just the image I wan't surrounded by black. So I can't see where the fuck the original size is.

Is there really not an easier way than having to copy all my shit into another document?
>>
Someone give me a good image zooming addon for Firefox. Image Zoom is broken, and I can't find anything else that's as simple as right clicking and scrolling.
>>
I spilled some water on my laptop and now half the keys don't work.
Any way to fix this?
Or should I just buy a wireless keyboard?
>>
Is it possible to use my iPhone as an audio device for my laptop? The headphone jack on the laptop isn't working.

Is there any way I can just use the working headphone jack on the iPhone as a substitute when I plug it into the laptop via USB?
>>
>>62448356
>use my iPhone
lol no
>>
I forgot what I was going to ask
>>
>>62447847
Without reading reviews or comparisons on color stats, I'd go with the dell out of that lineup. But 1080p is really harsh on 27 inches, so I'd consider bumping it up to 1440p or down to 25.
>>
>>62447947
You can turn off the new file creation dialog in preferences.
I do it every time, that new dialog is fucking terrible.
You can also switch the toolbox back to the old 2-row setup - I only found this option after I'd already become accustom to the new toolbox though.
>>
Im technologically retarded and want Total warhammer (and any game in general) to load faster.

I'm looking to get an SSD just for a few games and my OS. Can anyone recommend me a decent one for bargain price? I really have no clue what I'm looking for and cant afford to get a dud.
>>
Best CD/DVD burning software for Windows that supports disc spanning?
>>
>>62448960
850 evo from samsung
>>
>>62449020
thanks anon. I'll put it on the list.
>>
at&t router reset and changed the timezone, and internet didn't work for some time, how to check what happened?
>>
How do I make Tixati pretend like it is uTorrent or qBitTorrent?

is

peerid:-UT2210-
xfer_peerid:-UT2210-
header:%0D%0AUser-Agent: uTorrent/2210(25110)

enough?
>>
File: rei_smile.png (271KB, 402x500px) Image search: [Google]
rei_smile.png
271KB, 402x500px
>>62449291
>Tixati
I see people on /g/ bullying Tixati users all the time, what do you like about it, anon?
>>
>>62449399
Just searching for a new torrent client, don't like qbit and deluge
>>
>>62449409
My favorite torrent client of all time was an old version of uTorrent, before all the shitfuckery started. You might look into that if you haven't considered it yet.
>>
>>62449438
I know I used to use it as well but I've heard it has vulnerabilities now and isn't secure
>>
>>62449454
What don't you like about qbit?
I'm a pleb and I'm just thrilled if a torrent client isn't botnet and allows me to select only certain files for download and assign priority.
>>
>>62449534
don't like how it deals with deletion of files when the torrent is paused, changes the completion to 0% or sometimes weird numbers
>>
File: when the hypoglycemia hits you.png (648KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
when the hypoglycemia hits you.png
648KB, 1000x1000px
>>62449559
Oh, that sucks.

There's that one client /g/ loves but it's linux only, think it's rtorrent or something.
And with that I've run out of potentially useful things to contriboot. Best of luck, anon!
>>
>>62449409
>don't like qbit and deluge
Why?
They are both more featured and less bloated then taxidermy
>>
>>62449626
>python based client
>>
>>62449638
The original bit torrent client was python.
If python never existed we would not have bit torrent protocol :^)
>>
File: kot.jpg (94KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
kot.jpg
94KB, 750x750px
>>62446676
I have the string:
"[email protected]"

Can one of you kind anons give me a RegEx snippet to detect the double quotes?
>>
What the hell is Android One? What makes it different than regular Android?
>>
I've heard that sometimes freezing a CPU can fix it, can anyone explain?
>>
Will artificial intelligence ever learn how to use it/identify sarcasm or irony?
>>
>>62447847
>>62448443
this
>>
Question about Netflix.
I have a friend in the US who has a Netflix account that she and her family use.
I live in Europe, and she gave me her login information so i can watch Netflix on her account too.
I am aware that only 2 people can watch Netflix simultaneously, this isn't the problem. But are there any limitations to the total amount of people / devices that can access the account?
In other words, is she going to get in trouble for some guy in Europe logging into her account?
>>
>>62449762
A US VPN would sidestep the issue (maybe).
But even without that, probably not. People travel. Even if she got banned, it's just a subscription service, could open a new account in her husbando's name or something.

My guess is she'd get a warning, or you'd get some failure message on the login screen
>yuropoors get out, Netflix is a US service reeeeeeee
>>
>>62449762
They might raise an eyebrow to the fact that you are in a different country, but I doubt it. And in any case it would probably just prevent you from logging on. They're not going to suspend her account or anything.

You can be logged in on several devices, but if two people are currently streaming and a third clicks on a video, the third person will get a message saying they can't stream until one of the others stops. Or you can upgrade. $20 is enough to cover the jump to 4 screens for like a year.

>>62449820
Video streaming services have worked pretty hard to blacklist VPNs the last couple of years. It's like trying to use one to post on here.
>>
>>62449729
I'm pretty sure some SJW devs made this at Google.
>>
>>62449762
I travel to Europe a lot for work and use my parent's account (they live in the US). We've never had problems, so doubt you would.
>>
>>62447847
>LED
none of them
>>
I have an external hard drive (NTFS) that I loaded with a bunch of mp3 a few years ago on a Windows machine. Now have it mounted in Ubuntu and can read/play most of the files, but not others (e.g., I get "permission denied") when I try to play them with ffmpeg. Ubuntu says I have read and write access, so I'm a bit lost. Any pointers as to what the root cause is (something that would help me search for an answer) would be appreciated.
>>
I have 2 gmails, one of which I don't want to add as an account on my phone. I only have specific emails in that account that I kind of care about but are somewhat private, so would rather not have it forward the entire email with subject and all.

How can I get account 1 to send an automatic canned email to account 2, after receiving an email with criteria XYZ? I don't want it to simply forward the original email, and the only thing in the labs I found was canned reply, but I don't want to reply, I want a ...canned "send email to another email" sort of thing.
>>
>>62450093
gmail dosent do this
>>
I'm installing Xubuntu from a USB drive. I went throught some of the startup questions on the live CD and it's restarting to install. Now I'm getting this message:

"a start job is running for ubuntu live cd installer"

Am I supposed to restart without my USB drive connected?
>>
>>62450211
yes
>>
>>62450228
Can I unplug it now?
>>
>>62450238
after it reboots
>>
File: sizes.png (1KB, 139x31px) Image search: [Google]
sizes.png
1KB, 139x31px
what is different about compression utility vs tar command?
>>
>>62449638
Deluge links to libbitorrent for the actual torrenting.
>>
>>62450331
Tar doesn't compress
>>
>>62446676

Nub from hell question:

>is /dir/Nvme the same thing essentially as /dir/sda?

I got my computer reimaged and now my /sda/ is gone and /nvme/ is here, idk why
>>
File: 2017-09-15-174705_677x282_scrot.png (41KB, 677x282px) Image search: [Google]
2017-09-15-174705_677x282_scrot.png
41KB, 677x282px
>>62450366
Thats where you're wrong friendo
>>
>>62450502
>the same thing
yes
>>
YouTube is always going to rape the bit rate of your videos, right? I was obsessing over the quality of my gayman videos and hated how they looked more blurry than my source file, but then I watch even popular YouTubers and their videos of the same game actually look even worse than mine. So that's just what it is on YouTube, right? No better format I can change it to before uploading?
>>
>>62450606
You might be seeing a shit quality video if you're on a slow connection, since even if you're getting the top resolution available there are different bitrates and mp4/vp9 versions. What's your download speed, anon? And does your browser support vp9?
>>
How do i convert all number schemes to be 100 based i bash?
So
folder1
folder12
folder03
folder100
would all be converted to be 100 padded?
>>
>>62450572
ty man
>>
Best to-do-list/task program for a computer?

Something light and that I can get to open on boot.
>>
>>62450708
txt file open as background
>>
>>62450732
I can set notepad as background?
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg (77KB, 584x800px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg
77KB, 584x800px
How do I connect my pc to the internet through a wire? Does it go through the router? Can I do it with my parent's shitty airport?
>>
I just thought "what if there was a website where people can post their ideas for software projects, along with their attempts at implementations, and then people can come and look at it and possibly help improve the program, while also discovering something new and exciting"
And then i realized that's pretty much what Github is, EXCEPT it isn't that easy to find new, interesting projects on there. There's no easy way to just browse all projects, is there?
>>
>>62450748
i think its called notezilla
>>
it became so bloated, slow and buggy and i need a browser that will handle shitload of RAM. i need to do something about it
what would you recommend, /g/? downgrade? if so, to which version? or maybe a branch? waterfox?
which one, in your opinion, was the most stable?
>>
File: 1488223640040.jpg (3MB, 2848x4272px) Image search: [Google]
1488223640040.jpg
3MB, 2848x4272px
Mother of God.

The Wiki's back!!!
>>
I just moved into a new apartment, and there is an optimum hotspot that I can log into with my parent optimum ID. I haven't gotten my internet hooked up yet, and I'm wondering if I can save money by just using the hotspot. How reliable will it be? I worried that it will keep crapping out on me, or suddenly disappear. I'd only be paying $20 a month for internet plus a required $60 installation fee. Anyone have any experience with something like this that can give some insight.
>>
>>62450784
Dear god please let this be bait.
>>
>>62451165
The branches suffer pretty hard from delayed security updates. I'd say just ride it out. They're getting ready to replace the whole engine it runs on, once they get done murdering the old addons. Might actually work well when it's all done.
>>
>>62451165
Nightly.
There's plenty of WebExts now.
ublock origins
>>
>>62451290
>>62450784
agingfag please
>>
I have 1% disk space left, would this be why disk write speeds are so horrible?
>>
>>62451203
It's hard to say. Your latency won't be great, but that's not necessarily a problem. The main thing is how strong the signal is and how much interference you get from your neighbors. Also if you're sharing an unencrypted wifi network, anyone can see what you're doing, and you're pretty reliant on ssl to protect your shit.
>>
>>62451313
>Not even clarifying what kind of drive
>>
Computer is dying and nobody can tel what it is. Its either psu or mobo or both. As such im building something new.

Going from 4770k to probably 1700 but maybe 1700x. Realize its a sidegrade but the cores should help with certain things I want to learn (namely blender).

My issue is with mobo and ram.
Asus has always treated me well. Is the ch6 worth the premium over the prime series? Never had a rog mobo before and im currently in a house share so wifi is a must.

Ram. As far as I can tell one of the best kits is the flare x as ryzen benefits from faster ram with diminishing returns after ~3200mhz. My issue is between 16 and 32gigs. Id prefer to have 32 but need help weighing the pros and cons and basically figuring out whats actually a reasonable expectation.

Gpu is a 7970 which I could upgrade but I only casually game lately and it seems to be holding up just fine.

Can anyone help me out?
>>
>>62451332
mechanical
>>
>>62451255
>>62451285
i need a stable browser that won't crash every so often and will allow me to open lots of tabs when necessary
old verions were doing great. these new ones barely deal with it
>>
>>62450748
that rainman program
>>
>>62450553
what does filter mean? those all look like non-tar compression programs.
>>
File: firefox.56.startup.tabs.png (39KB, 958x597px) Image search: [Google]
firefox.56.startup.tabs.png
39KB, 958x597px
>>62451367
Please don't lie lad.
Update your FF with a new profile.
>>
>>62451353
It's not doing any favors. If you're that close to the edge, it's pretty hard for the OS to deal with fragmentation snappily. You really should have a drive that full, unless it's strictly long term storage and you're not booting from it.
>>
>>62451392
tar --help

Read for your self faggot
>>
>>62451398
*n't
>>
torrent newfag here, how come usually when my torrents say "seeding" they don't actually start uploading unless I press "force resume"? or is this supposed to happen?
>>
>>62451398
No booting,It has all of my media on it. It has 100gb left on it and its giving me less then 2MB/s transfer speed.
>>
>>62451455
You have a 10 terabyte drive?
>>
>>62451478
5tb raid
>>
What's the most common problem that causes a PC not to boot after a few days of inactivity?
>>
>>62451396
>speed = stability
>>
>>62451408
*whoosh*
>>
>>62451546
lonelyness
>>
>>62451511
https://www.howtogeek.com/215413/why-does-emptying-disk-space-speed-up-computers/
>>
>>62451511
It's easy enough to test. Just transfer a few hundred gigs to something else, run a defrag and test again. If you're raid 0ing that shit, you really should have proper backups somewhere else anyway.
>>
>>62451745
use ffmpeg and tailor the switches to what your goal is
>>
What's a good router with good signal strength? I'd be ok with spending up to $100 or slightly more.
>>
>>62451860
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/
>>
What's my best option for a QHD or 2K display laptop?

Just needs to be inexpensive, have good screen quality and the ability to run linux. Only speed requirements are: needs to be able to play minecraft at 1080p60FPS and browse the web smoothly.

New/used doesn't matter. The cheaper the better.
>>
Does anyone know of a good standalone flash player for desktop .swf files? Debug tools a plus but not necessary.
>>
How do you frame a compromise?
>>
>>62452089
firefox
chromium
>>
>>62452101
No I mean a flash player that isn't a browser of some kind.
>>
File: why.png (11KB, 807x168px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
11KB, 807x168px
Anybody know why this font is showing on the tabs and bookmarks bar in Ungoogled Chromium? It also shows up in Chrome so it must be a system wide issue but I've never seen this font anywhere else.
>>
Looking for a Linux distro for an m6400
I want something that just werks and has aesthetic
>>
File: 1504117892677.jpg (15KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1504117892677.jpg
15KB, 480x480px
How did the first compiler compile?
>>
How do no-execute bits work? If you want to mark areas with a no-execute bit, wouldn't you need a buffer with one bit for each byte in memory? How is that possible?
>>
>>62452352
humans wrote machine code
>>
>>62452352
through assembler of course
>>
File: 1502110611587.png (141KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1502110611587.png
141KB, 600x600px
>>62452402
Who wrote humans?
>>
>>62452400
what is memory page
what is paging table
for the answers go to oswiki
>>
>>62452411
alien scientists that are researching life and evolution in macro scale
>>
File: 1502326534092.png (191KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1502326534092.png
191KB, 600x600px
>>62452436
But who was aliens?
>>
File: jxYN5g2V.jpg (24KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
jxYN5g2V.jpg
24KB, 360x360px
>>62452455
it was him all along
>>
File: 1502326403715.jpg (37KB, 640x631px) Image search: [Google]
1502326403715.jpg
37KB, 640x631px
>>62452469
>>
>>62452110
A lot of media players have the ability tor run swf
>>
how can I hide all the elements of type X in a list using javascript?

<ul id="listofall">
<li class="post" id="A"><input></li>
<li class="post" id="B"><input></li>
<li class="post" id="C"><input></li>
<li class="post" id="D"><input></li>
<li class="post" id="E"><input></li>
<li class="post" id="F"><input></li>
<li class="post" id="G"><input></li>
<li class="post" id="H"><input></li>
<li class="post" id="I"><input></li>
<li class="post" id="J"><input></li>
<li class="post" id="K"><input></li>
</ul>

I tried using querySelectorAll and for

var i, checkreply;
checkreply = document.querySelector(".post input");
for (i = 0; i < document.querySelectorAll(".post input"); i++) {
checkreply.style.display = "none";
}

but it doesn't work. what am I doing wrong?
>>
File: 1489862444592.jpg (12KB, 263x115px) Image search: [Google]
1489862444592.jpg
12KB, 263x115px
>>62452484
>>
File: SS3263.png (251KB, 968x746px) Image search: [Google]
SS3263.png
251KB, 968x746px
>>62452110
wy not just use a stand alone version of flash player?
>>
Why do CRTs when they are on make this weird smell?
>>
>>62452593
Where get?
>>
>>62452508
why not just use css?

input.post {
display: none;
}

not sure what the right dom selector method is in vanilla javascript but i'm guessing you're getting that wrong. use jQuery or something. libraries aren't just bloated garbage; they're better tested than you'll ever be bothered to do, and they abstract away stupid shit that shouldn't be blocking your development anyway.
>>
>>62452624
here:
https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/27/flashplayer_27_sa_debug.exe
>>
>>62452622
or atleast mine smells funny
>>
>>62452645
the one with debugger of course
>>
>>62452636
wait isn't .post input the correct way? I'm avoiding jQuery because I'm learning javascript and if I start to simply ignore javascript because there is a more convenient way with jQuery I'll never learn this crap
>>
I don't know if this is a stupid question or not. I have a laptop with internet access and a desktop computer without. I bough an external hard-drive today to use to transfer games from my laptop. the hard-drive works fine on my laptop but not on my desktop. I can't download drivers without internet, and i can't transfer files between the two without a driver.
>>
File: 1453860791760.png (60KB, 174x286px) Image search: [Google]
1453860791760.png
60KB, 174x286px
Can I get suggestions of good ways or good programs that record videos? I want to make some gameplay videos and convert them to WEBMs.
>>
>>62452734
obs to record
ffmpeg to convert
>>
>>62452701
Just run an ethernet cable from the laptop to the desktop and set up network sharing.
>>
>>62452734
Plays.TV can be nice if you want GPU-acceleration for encoding. Basically amounts to a 10% tax on your GPU while you play, assuming you're recording 1080p@60fps.

It also has hotkeys if you want to just capture the last two minutes or whatever, since you did something badass you want to share.
>>
How can I improve the quality of audio on my PC speakers? Is that what DAC is for?
>>
>>62452784
wait you can do that? now i just gotta find an ethernet cable, should have one somewhere. thanks senpai
>>
>>62452811
Buy better speakers. Usually the audio out isn't the problem.
>>
File: 9c0.jpg (29KB, 426x341px) Image search: [Google]
9c0.jpg
29KB, 426x341px
I spilled water on my desk which splashed some onto my keyboard (ducky shine 5). It only really nailed the bottom right corner of the keyboard, but regardless i unplugged it immediately before anything visibly fried.

Took it apart and carefully dried any wet spots i found, and not have it sitting vertical with a fan blasting into it.

As far as the water within it when i took it apart, it wasnt that bad just a few droplets here and there on the components. Most the water slipped to the bottom. The main electrical components sit elevated above that so it wasnt touching direct.

How soon can i test this shit? I don't have a spare to use
>>
>>62452889
I'd leave it under the dryer for an hour and then you should be good if it is just as little as you say
>>
>>62452790
I will try first the Play TV thing (even when I don't have a monitor with 1080x1920's resolution, but I don't care about that as long I have consistent smooth 60fps) then I will see if it's great or if I will switch to OBS. Thanks.

>>62452753
I have Audacity with ffmpeg support. Maybe it's obvious, but just to be sure, would it work or not?
>>
>>62452889
disassemble it and leave it on air for a few days if you're paranoid
i let my pendrives have an adventure in the washing machine many times and all of them work to this day
>>
File: 6346363.png (216KB, 401x424px) Image search: [Google]
6346363.png
216KB, 401x424px
>>62452916
well i guess "a little" is relative

it was about this much on the actual components, and even less in between the panels

what do you think?
>>
>>62452978
also note i didnt take a picture, obviously, of when it was wet because i was frantically trying to dry it

so this is a poor rendition of what happened
>>
>>62452978
Then yeah, dry it for an hour and you're solid
>>
Is it normal that I often have to struggle to remember personal details like my name or birth date?
>>
>>62452929
Plays.TV is worth a shot, I literally just found it on my PC one morning after some AMD software update. It's kinda shovelware-y, not a lot of customization, commercial, wants to tie you in to some online service shit.

Worked for my needs, but there's probably better stuff out there. I would recommend you have it record in variable FPS mode.
>>
>>62453001
Are you under 30?
Yes
Over 30?
No
>>
>>62453011
As I get older, I find it more difficult to remember how old I am.

I choose to blame other people for no longer bragging about how they are no "ten and a HALF" like in elementary school.
>>
Is it possible to tell Windows 10 to not FUCKING wake my computer up from sleep just to install an update? I hate this.
>>
>>62453042
>thinking you can negotiate with Win10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsf21rFwrrA
>>
>>62452508
Your loop is wrong you muppet. You are looping through the elements (presumably) but then setting the style attribute on the list of elements from outside the loop that isn't even changing with each iteration.
>>
>>62453112
is this method correct? https://stackoverflow.com/a/25038730/3190555

in the end I used CSS to hide those elements but right now I'm working on a different for cycle and trying to do it correctly
>>
>>62453073
Well I mean it doesn't come up that often as that guy claims, but it's still a real shitsucker when I wake up and find my room several degrees warmer than I'd like and my computer's been on most of the night because it decided this was the best time to do this.
>>
what the fuck do i do at root@archiso to get to a gui desktop looool
>>
>>62453147
>he doesn't use his computer to warm up his room
>>
>>62453176
Where I live it's rarely cold enough for that to be necessary, and I prefer it to be a bit colder when I'm sleeping anyway.
>>
>>62453184
>he doesn't enjoy -30 winters
pussy
>>
>>62453210
Wouldn't your vodka get slushy at that temperature?
>>
File: 4747.png (20KB, 357x258px) Image search: [Google]
4747.png
20KB, 357x258px
>>62452997
>>62452916
whole drying process was 1hr 40 by now, spent the last 20-30 using a blowdryer with very mild heat just in case

plugged it in and tested so far working good. all LEDs on properly and pic related for keys typing properly too

crisis averted but i can do without stress like that for a while
>>
>>62453169
is this a serious question
>>
>>62453310
check if ANY key works properly
>>
File: 1379737265552.jpg (24KB, 500x193px) Image search: [Google]
1379737265552.jpg
24KB, 500x193px
>>62446676
Is 8 weeks enough to learn a programming/ scripting language competently enough to get a real job? This would be going from almost no experience with any programming (none that I remember well enough)
>>
>>62453169
step 1: Uninstall arch
step 2: Install any distro that isn't babby tier ricer shit
>>
>>62453386
>step 2: install gento
ftfy
>>
File: 3636.png (4KB, 283x104px) Image search: [Google]
3636.png
4KB, 283x104px
>>62453347
right good call
looks like we're ok
>>
>>62453383
If you knew the basics and had development experience, yes. But you don't, so probably not. That said, learned and failing an interview are both free so why not give it a shot?
>>
>>62453383
it depends on how much of a fast learner you are
>>
>>62453477
>learned
*learning

I'm saying try to learn, and if it ends up being too hard, you didn't really lose anything.
>>
>>62451448
would still like an answer to this please
>>
Cooler Master Seidon 120V or Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120?
>>
>>62453477
>>62453505

I have game dev experience but from the art end, and I have familiarity with basic code/ syntax (have done varying amounts of C, MATLAB, MEL, and Python previously but right now don't remember enough to do anything). But yeah, it doesn't count for much.

I guess the reason I'm trying to ask around is because I have about 2 months, maybe 3 if I'm lucky, until my savings run out, and I'm stuck because I don't know where to invest my remaining time. If it's not feasible, I might just try to devote the time to my mental health, because at the moment I don't plan on living past my savings. But that's beyond the scope of /g/
>>
File: 1496058176098.png (99KB, 1075x586px) Image search: [Google]
1496058176098.png
99KB, 1075x586px
javascript: let's say I have a list of elements and that in each list element there are two div elements. I want to move the content of the first div inside the second div. my for cycle fails on the 2nd cycle giving me that error. I suspect this is because the script is trying to move the children of the first list element inside the second. how can I solve this oddity? this is a copy of the logs https://pastebin.com/c8qAVrFt
>>
>>62451448
Could it just be a coincidence that it looks to upload after you press that? It could just be that no one is downloading it from you most of the time. Torrents aren't actually uploading the files anywhere on the web.

They split the files into blocks/ packets, and then you download directly from other people. You might get blocks 1,5,7, and 15 from Dude A and blocks 2,3,4,6,8 from Dude B and blocks 9-14 from Dude C. Someone might then get blocks 4,9, and 13 of that same file from you and the rest from 10 other people simultaneously.

So you seeding only means you've made your copy of the file available to other people, not that it's necessarily uploading to anyone or anything at any given time.
>>
Does anyone know what the advert to view conversion rate is when a channel does an advertising campaign is?

I.e Scarce spends $10 on YouTube ads to get people to his channel, how views should he expect on his video/channel?
>>
Okay this seems like it should be something simple, but I can't really see it as an option so maybe someone has a proper guide or video or spoonfeed me.
I have my school email setup to be checked by my gmail so i don't have to log in to the school website shit just to check my email.
So when it comes to my gmail, it's tagged with the [school email] thing, but I want it to go to a specific folder, namely [school email] folder, instead of just straight to the inbox.
I was looking in the gmail settings but it seems the "filter" option is just a fancy search function.
Is there some other setting I should be looking at, or am I just fucking up the filter setting?
>>
>>62453708
Wait actually I guess it isn't really uploading when I force resume. So if they only upload when someone starts to download them then should I just not limit the amount of torrents that can be seeded at once? Right now it's set to 3 at a time with the rest queued.
>>
>>62453790
let's start by getting the name/version of your torrent client
>>
How do I cancel app subscriptions on iPhone?

There's an app for which I want the free trial, but to cancel the subscription before the trial ends
>>
>>62453726
This is hella hard to know shit. Take it from the point of view of someone trying to monetize their videos. The amount you make per view varies wildly depending on the type of content and the expected audience. And google doesn't tell these kinds of numbers publicly, so all you've got is people self reporting. And it fluctuates wildly over time. Then there's things like that big advertiser crash back in march that shake things up even more. And if your ad sucks or people just aren't interested in what you're selling, you might get an especially terrible return vs someone who was advertising something in demand.
>>
File: Capture.png (5KB, 1052x127px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
5KB, 1052x127px
I just switched internet.

I went from 50/50 for $50 to 60/10 for $40.

Now my speed definitely improved, but my ping went up a bit as you can see. How bad is 30ms ping for gaming? Should I switch back?
>>
File: 23423.png (997B, 408x21px) Image search: [Google]
23423.png
997B, 408x21px
What the fuck is up with this DNS? New provider.
>>
>>62453601
Well thanks for exposing the issue behind the question and good luck. Maybe you should try >>>/adv/ for some more general advice. Or IRL people. I don't feel qualified to give advice because I've never been in this position.
>>62453789
The first window lets you type the filters, then you hit "Continue" and get options on what to do with anything matching that filter.
>>
>>62453601
isn't capitalism a wonderful thing?
>>
>>62453865
>>62453726
Basically, if your content is kinda garbage then don't expect to retain viewers and gain subs. By "garbage" I mean those 20-part hour-long Let's Play videos where you're trying to be the next P*wdiepie. If you're making decent-effort content and can actually imagine someone liking it, then ads might work out.
>>
>>62453878
I wouldn't switch ISPs over it. 30 isn't horrible. If you stick to ethernet and avoid IPS screens you'll more than make up for it.
>>
>>62453878
>30ms
Thats like being behind an entire day anon.
You would even have problems on rts, you cant even compete in fps with 30ms
>>
>>62453937

BenQ XL2411 TN panel ;)

Thank you for the 2 cents
>>
File: Capture.jpg (37KB, 594x367px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
37KB, 594x367px
>>62453896
Right, but I don't see any option to move it anywhere other than forwarding it to another address, deleting it, or archiving it. Clicking to archive it doesn't make any new options appear
>>
>>62453947

Don't listen to this anon. He's full of shit. 30ms is good.
>>
File: NENE THE BEST.jpg (279KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
NENE THE BEST.jpg
279KB, 1280x720px
how do i become better at programming? I am more retarded than this two dimensional cartoon, she at least programmed a whole engine with gravity and 3d rendering in 1 month.

FUCK
>>
>>62453968
30ms is not good.
anything higher then 5ms is too much.
You clearly have never played a game where your reaction speed makes up the game
>>
File: 1482042691438.jpg (229KB, 717x880px) Image search: [Google]
1482042691438.jpg
229KB, 717x880px
>>62453947
>>
>>62453980
what if, just a suggestion, he's not playing games?
>>
>>62453969
Practice.
Like everything, do it a shit ton of times and eventually you just wake up one day and are good at it.
Usually want to have projects in mind, shoot big.
>>62453980
Bruh no, even fucking korea is like 8ms on average. Stop talking out your ass.
>>
>>62453998
Korean reaction speeds make up for that 3ms difference
>>
>>62453980
>>62454002
you're talking about superhuman reaction speeds
also this soulds like the typical "blame the controller" excuse
>>
>>62453980
>
>>62453980

Shut the fuck up troll. Most people play with 100ms and are fine. 30ms is way under the limits of acceptability.
>>
>>62453822
QBittorrent
sorry for the late response
>>
>>62454036
I'd say about 80ms is where you can actually notice lag if you're being competitive.
>>
>>62454033
>>62454036
Try playing csgo with 100ms and see how quickly you stop playing the game
>>
>>62454078

I did for years and went ESEA-main. Shows how much you know kiddo
>>
>>62454078
yeah, way to go picking up 100ms ping to prove that there's a huge difference between 5ms and 8ms
>>
>>62453839
1. Quit using an iPhone, you cock loving fag
2. Quit using shit apps, you AIDS sucking kike
>>
File: me.gif (682KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
me.gif
682KB, 540x540px
I jailbroke my iPhone 4s and I want to use it as a glorified media player. Is there a way to simply drag and drop music to it?
>>
File: y_tho.jpg (912KB, 1813x2111px) Image search: [Google]
y_tho.jpg
912KB, 1813x2111px
Why is it that when I ssh to my windows machine I can only enter Linux commands? Shouldn't I only be able to use windows commands?
>>
>>62453956
The skip inbox option AND applying a label makes it go to the new folder only. Or alternatively, gets tagged with only (label) and not the default inbox tag. It might just be semantics but whatever. Also this doesn't get applied retroactively.
>>
What actually IS speed in 2d graphics? I mean like, let's say you just have a loop that draws a ball one pixel to the right each iteration (and un-draws the previous iteration too I guess), so you just have a ball going across the screen in a straight line. I'd assume it would just go really fast, as fast as the computer could draw it. Is that the case? To slow it down, is adding a few milliseconds pause in the loop the right thing to do?

Because I'm thinking for some reason the way to get it to move faster would be to just have it jump like 5 pixels each iteration instead of 1. But it would still go at the same pace. This makes sense because I thought most games had like a refresh rate thing that repeated however many times per minute, and EVERY moving object in the game would be subject to this one refresh rate loop, so you'd have to use pixel skipping tricks instead of actually drawing the object faster.

This is really stupid but I don't have any idea how any of this works
>>
File: Program ideas.png (378KB, 1450x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Program ideas.png
378KB, 1450x1080px
>>62453969
1. Try some stuff in pic related. Instead of rote exercises, you will be figuring out how to formulate and implement a legit software concept. A lot of these have some implicit lessons - for instance, anything graphical means learning some new GUI framework for a language of your choice.
2. Stop watching the cheesecake anime. All they do is recycle the same cute/hot/sexy designs and string together a new set of japanese characters. Random guess at your character's name: toshisuku nenemojo.
>>
>>62453865
>>62453931
Do all youtubers advertise? Is it advised that if I want to start a youtube channel that I advertise?
>>
>>62454174
I am not a graphics expert but AFAIK:

-You wouldn't "undraw" it per se, you just draw the updated scene from scratch.

- A pause is absolutely the worst possible idea. Instead, you'd have some timer that produces an image every 16.666666ms, and in between you're computing the actual pixels of that image to be drawn. (This is a simplified scheme where a slower computer will slow the entire game down)

- Controlling the ball's speed means computing how fast it's moving in your units of choice, its new position, and then converting that to actual screen coordinates. Aside from game UI elements and very simple cases, there would be an underlying coordinate system used to determine your object's position.

Once again I AM NOT AN EXPERT, so I apologize in advance to whoever wants to correct me/add more details.
>>
>>62454309
Don't pay to advertise, but if you make something good and think people might like it, you could post it on the internet and "advertise" for free. Just don't be obnoxious with it. I wouldn't even consider paying for ads unless my channel was huge and populated with content already.
>>
I'm a tech illiterate
If I buy an SSD for my PC that I've already built, can I pop out the HDD, install the OS, turn off the PC and just pop the HDD back in?
Also, are any tools useful for transferring drivers from HDD to SSD without having to redownload them all?
>>
>>62454151
okay, i'll try that then
thanks
>>
>>62454353
Don't they only get like 5 views without advertising though?
>>
File: pic almost sort of related.png (1MB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
pic almost sort of related.png
1MB, 1920x1090px
How do I deep clean my logitech g502 mouse and get all the gunk out of the nooks and crannies?

I don't think I can really disassemble it without tearing off the feet to get at screws and gluing them back on afterwards.
>>
test
>>
>>62454320
>Instead, you'd have some timer that produces an image every 16.666666ms, and in between you're computing the actual pixels of that image to be drawn
>computing how fast it's moving in your units of choice, its new position, and then converting that to actual screen coordinates

Yeah this makes more sense
I just want to be able to make like a ball bounce simulator where you pick a point on the screen you want the ball to fall from and it falls by a gravity acceleration thing and bounces realistically. I feel like i would only need a few entry level physics equations to put in there somehow
>>
File: 1496116388608.jpg (216KB, 563x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1496116388608.jpg
216KB, 563x1000px
Any solid ways to clear minor scuffs on an LCD LED-backlit IPS monitor? They're not too strong, nothing deep.
>>
>>62454733
Also, it has "Anti-glare, 3H Hard Coating" in case that's a factor in any methods.
>>
>>62454565
Yep, on each tick you would compute the acceleration, determine the change in velocity based on acceleration, and determine the change in position based on velocity. And if the position would take you outside a wall/below a floor, you modify the position accordingly and reverse the velocity. (Acceleration would only be vertically down via gravity, to keep it simple)
>>
Need help with Vivaldi. It's about the Tabs.
Is there any way I can make the tabs look like Chrome's or Firefox's? I mean, on Vivaldi's tabs, I can only see the icon of the website. For example, if it's a 4chan tab, there's the four leaf clover. I like them when the tabs have it written on them the name of the web page, for example, the icon of 4chan plus "/g/ - SQT". I use many tabs so it's annoying to switch tabs when the tabs look so small.
>>
hey /g/ help please

I have a server I got from someone. I have it hooked up, installed shitdows 10 and for some reason, my res is stuck at 1024x786. Why?
I can't change it to a normal res. It's stretched at that. What do?
>>
>>62454381
if you get a samsung drive, they have transfer software so you can clone your entire boot drive instead of reinstalling everything. It's kind of finicky from my experience, but sometimes it does work right. I'm sure other manufacturers have something similar.

If your OS is still installed on the old HDD, you just have to change the boot order in the BIOS (where it tells you to 'press DEL to enter setup' or whatever) to make sure it boots from the SSD. Encryption might make it more difficult to access your old files, but I don't know.
>>
I've been using a ps4 controller for games on windows for a while. Recently, I updated to windows 10. For a while everything worked fine, but now my computer won't recognized my controller. I've tried multiple controllers as well as multiple cables. I also tried plugging in a ps3 controller and it connected just fine.

It's not simply an issue of windows not reviving inputs from the ps4 controller, the controller doesn't display in device manager nor in printers and devices. When I plug the controller in, the light bar on the controller doesn't light up and I revive no notices about it connecting from windows. Does anyone know what this could possibly be?
>>
does unplugging a laptop before its done charging shorten the battery life
>>
>>62454960
http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/SCP_Driver_Package Try this or the "DS4Windows" program. Also try a different USB port/cable to verify there's no hardware problem.
>>
>>62454923
You sure the display drivers are installed and working right? Might be you're on the generic failsafe or something.

>>62454983
Nah, they got voltmeters and automatic shutoffs and shieet now. Modern batteries don't suffer from that memory effect that NiCd batteries did.
>>
>>62450093
>somewhat private
>using Gmail
Wew
>>
>>62455061
been looking into that and I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. I did all that too.

>>62455075
Funny enough, if you goto messenger, FB now has a private messaging on phones only. And it only stays on that device like kik does. I would recommend trying it out
>>
>>62454993
I've used both of those tools in the past and they have worked just fine for me. But they don't do anything for me now because both tools require that windows actually recognizes that something has been plunged in.
>>
I have a serious problem, please help me.

I was a Chrome pleb and used to use the internet happily until the browser just stopped working. I could open new tabs, I could type stuff on the search box and I could change settings but whenever I would hit enter to access a website or search something the page just wouldn't load and would stay blank. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, nothing. So I moved on to Firefox which is a little better but now after some time I got the same problem. Again, uninstalled and reinstalled it, nothing. And what's worse, this problem has spread to Firefox variants (Pale Moon, Waterfox etc). Only tor and Internet explorer still work fine but I'm worried the same might happen. CClean, Malwarebytes and an anti virus have thus so far detected nothing.

What the fuck is going on and what do I do?
>>
File: aaaaaa.png (9KB, 1356x676px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaa.png
9KB, 1356x676px
>>62455111
Here's an image that shows what the issue is, no more no less.
>>
>>62454472
It's not paid ads that get them past 5.
>>
>>62455199
What is it then? Is it genuinely just "Good content" Plus having a professional channel or is it being sponsored with other youtubers as well?
>>
If I wanted to split audio streams to different devices (spotify on speakers and a video game on headphones) how could I go about doing this
>>
>>62454381
>>62454947

It's hella simple to just clone one drive to the other. Run macrium reflect and it does that shit automatically. Then just change your boot order, wipe the HDD and you're good. I would take the HDD out the first time you boot the SSD. Windows gets a bit weird about the way it references partitions if you don't. Also check if windows has disabled defrag. That's the easiest way to make sure it knows it's on an SSD now. If it doesn't, just re-run the user experience index.

This works pretty much 100% of the time and is virtually indistinguishable from an install that has always been on SSD.
>>
>>62455231
"Good" isn't the word I would use. More like "marketable". Or "clickbaity", depending on your perspective. It's similar to the kinds of tricks you use to pull in traffic on a website, like SEO, catering to an audience etc, but tailored to the way youtube works. You can't just build a better mousetrap.
>>
>>62455340
Not him but does cloning still work out fine when the source drive is larger than the destination? I don't imagine anon's SSD is bigger than his HDD
>>
>>62452118
please respond
>>
How do I get rid of bytefence antivirus
There's no option in uninstall programs
>>
>>62455111
>uninstall and reinstall
have you restarted the computer as well?
that exorcises all sorts of bad voodoo
>>
>>62455398
Sure. The SSD just has to be big enough to hold all the files you have on the HDD at the time of the transfer.
>>
>>62455231
It helps to be trendy. If you can just get a few views on your (new game) parody vid, or (new movie) reaction, it'll start getting recommended to people en masse. If you make whatever you want, any length you want, it'll eventually get some views from people interested in the content. You can't really know if it's "good" in the popular sense until you try it, IMO. I've had a kinda shitty vid get over 100K views, and another kinda shitty vid get under 1000 and massive hate.
>>
does anybody have some good resources on learning assembly code
>>
>>62455450
>massive
>under 1000
>>
Anyone able to offer some really quick help with Python? Please

I'm trying to run this
https://pastebin.com/LRSdsqJS
But I'm getting this error

C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\Python>ufcdl.py login
usage: ufcdl.py [-h] {login,m3u8,dl,stream} [rest [rest ...]]
ufcdl.py: error: the following arguments are required: operation, rest

What am I doing wrong? I've installed python, placed the .py file in the directory I installed in and then called it from a fresh cmd
>>
>>62455426
Yes I have.
Didnt work.
What's the problem and how can I solve it?
>>
im applying for a job and the thing says this:

>Please upload your resume, cover letter and unofficial transcripts from your most recently completed level of education. If you are currently attending school, your most recent term is acceptable.

what do they mean by "unofficial transcript"? do they want me to just type it in a word document or someshit?
>>
>>62455589
It's an unofficial transcript, you get it from your school's online student service thing. Are you really this retarded?
>>
>>62455589
Probably the latest printout of your--
>>62455667
^what this anon said

Also include your facebook/google passwords, goy
>>
>>62455589
That means you can go to the website, print out whatever page shows your grade and turn that in. As opposed to paying for an untamperable one from the school.
>>
File: 1421081886318.png (39KB, 290x336px) Image search: [Google]
1421081886318.png
39KB, 290x336px
>>62455555
Someone plz I'm headed to sleep soon, sorry if I sound impatient
>>
>>62455667
>>62455689
>>62455673

so can i just edit it in photoshop or nah

my gpa could be better
>>
>>62455699
What if they ask for a verified transcript during the next round of the interview?
>>
>>62455706
sorry anon
you hated anime until 5 minutes ago but you've been infected now

this time next week you'll be a cute otokonoko posting about programming socks
>>
>>62455725
then i photoshop the verified one too
>>
File: 1500953533525.jpg (97KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1500953533525.jpg
97KB, 640x480px
>>62455760
>then i photoshop the verified one too
>>
I downloaded a torrent of eva and its all iso files. Only disc 4 and 8 mount, the rest give me the following error.
[Window Title]
Couldn’t Mount File

[Content]
Make sure the file is in an NTFS volume and isn’t in a compressed folder or volume.

[OK]
Any ideas on what the issue is and how to fix it?
>>
File: amd_intel_nv_good_version.gif (2MB, 690x200px) Image search: [Google]
amd_intel_nv_good_version.gif
2MB, 690x200px
>>62446676
>>62455706
Superior version coming through.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-09-16_01-40-31.png (894KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-09-16_01-40-31.png
894KB, 1366x768px
>>62446676
I borked my EFI partition while attempting a dualboot, I can't boot into windows and other OS' can't recognize it unless I force them to. I already tried re-creating the partition but my MoBo is retarded and keeps setting C: to the USB I'm booting from and making the entire HD read-only.
>>
>>62447498
Take the standard 3.5" drive it contains out of the proprietary enclosure and install it in a computer like you would a normal OEM drive
>>
I might be building a new PC soon, re-using as many old parts as possible.
I have an old ATA/133 hard disk from 2004, holds 250 GB, and I don't want to throw it out 'til it dies. Would probably just use for storing unimportant stuff like [REDACTED]. That is, if there are still motherboards with IDE ports.

Are there any? Are there cheap-o PCIe cards that could help me connect it? Or is it time to put the old drive out to pasture?

It's noisy when it seeks and I like its grindy clicky clacky noises ;_;
>>
>>62455793
seems like the easiest option (though not a very tech-supporty one) is to just ditch the isos and grab a different torrent with proper video files
>>
I'm upgrading to a new computer after 3 years and I need to clear up which is better tech nowadays.

How big is the difference between an SSD over a HD 7200rpm? Is SSD way better and preferred?

What's the difference between a 120hz monitor and 60hz G-sync enabled monitor? Which delivers a better experience?
>>
Is there any way I can copy my operating system onto a USB stick so I can install my current OS on another computer? Neither my current computer nor the one I'm building have optical drives.
>>
>>62455855
>It's noisy when it seeks and I like its grindy clicky clacky noises ;_;
It's on its death bed already ;-; , I wouldn't store anything on it, period. I'm sorry anon, It's time to let go.
>>
>>62455867
I really shouldve checked when i downloaded but i was at my parents house for vacation. My place doesnt have internet set up so im using my phone as a hotspot, i really dont want to see how long it would take to download ~20gigs off 3g speeds. Thanks though, im pretty sure im going to break down and redownload it again at like the library or some shit.
>>
do you guys pay for antivirus or just try not to do retarded shit
>>
>>62455924
use comodo but dodge all the bloat it shoves at you
>>
>>62455895
>I'm upgrading to a new computer after 3 years and I need to clear up which is better tech nowadays.
Wrong procedure, wait at least two more.
>How big is the difference between an SSD over a HD 7200rpm? Is SSD way better and preferred?
The performance difference is legitimate and very much there, but the price gap is in the way of affordable SSDs, for now the recommended setup is 120-250GB SSD for booting and games then 1TB or more 7200RPM HDD for conventional use.
>What's the difference between a 120hz monitor and 60hz G-sync enabled monitor? Which delivers a better experience?
120hz, G-Sync only acts as a substitute for V-Sync and makes frames appear smoother. 120hz deliver more frames and less blur than 60hz no matter how much proprietary bullshittery you might want to try. 120hz is the way to go.
>>
File: fs20120612a1a.jpg (2MB, 1782x2688px) Image search: [Google]
fs20120612a1a.jpg
2MB, 1782x2688px
>>62455910
That's what I thought, when it started making funny noises... in summer 2014.

Still going strong as my boot disk. Yes, I'm a madman.
>>
>>62455924
>windows problems
When relatives have windows problems I reinstall it for them. I guess ESET comes to mind, they have a free scanner that does a whole scan.
>>
>>62455924
step 1 dont do retarded shit
step 2 use the free windows antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials in 7 or below or Windows Defender in 8+
>>
>>62455948
Not the anon you're replying to, but
>120hz is the way to go.
What about AMD Freesync? Is that just a meme?
>>
>>62455924
uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Decentraleyes.
All of these installed prevent virus' from getting in, I can't speak for /g/ but I personally focus on getting rid of viruses after the fact, with shit like Adwcleaner and Malwarebytes
>>62455938
worst browser ever. Just harden your existing one with what I said above.
>>
>>62455967
>I personally focus on getting rid of viruses after the fact
Lemme know how that works with ransomware.
>>
what are good porn streaming sites

sites like biqle which are basically accumulations of russian streaming sites are great, but a bit hard to navigate
>>
>>62455967
note that they still won't help if you're the kind of oblivious retard who opens random .exes (or .pdfs for that matter) from spam emails
>>
>>62455895
It's like upgrading your internet from dial-up to hi-speed. To a lesser extent and to your computer instead. The little delay between clicking the program icons and actually seeing the program is practically gone, programs install much faster, and booting the computer is the biggest difference. A 7200 rpm is still far slower than a SSD. Personally, I think the best selling point is no moving parts since I've had 2 HDDs start clicking 1 year in. I think most would prefer a SSD today.

Honestly the G-sync stuff sounds like bullshit. I'd try the 120Hz one and hope to actually run games at 120FPS, and find out if I can see the difference. My eyes suck and I have glasses so probably not.
>>
File: 1488449020940.jpg (115KB, 991x709px) Image search: [Google]
1488449020940.jpg
115KB, 991x709px
>>62455977
literally not a problem as long as you make sensible backups
you ARE backing up your files, aren't you anon?
>>
>>62455961
>What about AMD Freesync? Is that just a meme?
It's like G-Sync but better since it doesn't add cost to the monitors.
Not much else to say 2bh famalam. The only downside is having to use AMD.
>>62455977
When you live in a Caribbean island where average IQ is 100~ish you don't get hit by ransomware unless you're a large server host or a large company in general.
>not backing up your data weekly overnight
>not keeping important things off-site

>>62455982
>note that they still won't help if you're the kind of oblivious retard who opens random .exes (or .pdfs for that matter) from spam emails
Of course not anon, if you're setting computers up for others just leave an antivirus on there. I personally don't leave them on other's computers since they're all just bloated and boggy messes. Malwarebytes is what I use personally.
>>
File: 3ybBV.jpg (53KB, 799x558px) Image search: [Google]
3ybBV.jpg
53KB, 799x558px
Is it possible to short out a USB3 controller through a USB3 header?

After doing some rearranging/maintenance, I found that all my USB3 ports didn't work. Taking a closer examination, I found I accidentally bent a pin on the header when I was reseating the plug(?).

Before I go through the trouble of troubleshooting it, I was wondering if it's even possible--looks like VBUS was touching INTA_P1_SSRX-
>>
File: pepe_911.png (2MB, 1675x935px) Image search: [Google]
pepe_911.png
2MB, 1675x935px
>>62455994
If you have fuckoff massive RAM it's not such a problem since modern OSes cache lots of stuff.

The real earth-shattering benefit comes when your OS is using the SSD as swap (hey, if it happens, you'll be grateful).

But yes, SSD ftw.

>>62455996
Y-yes.
>>
>>62452734
If you're on nVidia you might wanna check out ShadowPlay
If you're on AMD I believe they have something similar, I'd use OBS just to be safe
If you're on Intel you can't use anything other than OBS.
>>
File: 1501222398370.gif (839KB, 500x502px) Image search: [Google]
1501222398370.gif
839KB, 500x502px
i-i dont back up my files
but i'm mostly a worthless neet so i don't have anything important stored on my pc anyways
i sure would miss all my animu and vidya saves though
>>
>>62456041
>swap
Security risk IMO
>>
>>62456068
You can redownload many animus but you should back up your saves.
>>
>>62451338
>>>/g/pcbg
>>
>>62451165
>waterfox
I'm personally loving it over here.
>>
File: 1481189102707.jpg (26KB, 480x405px) Image search: [Google]
1481189102707.jpg
26KB, 480x405px
What is the effective difference between overclocking within software vs. the BIOS? Why is one better than the other? Stability differences?
>>
File: 21ee2d399b2803207877f0de88f68851.jpg (106KB, 759x1200px) Image search: [Google]
21ee2d399b2803207877f0de88f68851.jpg
106KB, 759x1200px
>>62455811
b-bumpu~
>>
On sites that give you a discount for buying a product as a recurring "subscription" that will be reshipped at a period of your choosing, can you get into trouble for doing this and then cancelling immediately after the first shipment goes out? They do say "you can cancel at any time" but I'm not sure if you repeatedly do this they would consider it abuse and ban you or something?
>>
File: 1402146421599.jpg (145KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1402146421599.jpg
145KB, 640x640px
Mostly computer illiterate crossboarder here.
I've been receiving unprompted password modification confirmation e-mails from shit I don't use (i.e. Origin) and I don't know if that's a coincidence but I remember something like that happening almost exactly a year ago.
Do you have any idea what might be happening and to what degree I should worry about it?

Thank you
Here's a kitty
>>
File: 1485317533096.jpg (183KB, 311x340px) Image search: [Google]
1485317533096.jpg
183KB, 311x340px
>>62456149
As a general rule, no, but it might depend on the site. Amazon, for example, offers trial Prime memberships, and they don't penalize you for canceling right after ordering. In fact, they let me keep my full month of membership or whatever it was without paying a dime.

If they say you can cancel at any time, you can cancel at ANY time.
>>
File: file.png (131KB, 1366x638px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
131KB, 1366x638px
4chanx hid all posts, i don't know why.
How do i show them again?
>>
>>62455811
>>62456119
Your mobo doesn't dictate what "C" is. Windows does. Try doing a repair of your windows install.
>>
>>62447847
I would go with the Dell, just because my current monitor refreshes with a break across the middle and it's annoying as hell for videos with rapid movement, so having a high refresh rate might preemptively fix that issue
>>
>>62456257
When I set the boot order like such
USB>HDD
Linux sticks /sda/ to the USB
Windows sticks C: to the USB.
>Try doing a repair of your windows install.
Been at it for a while, can't do anything without an EFI partition which I can't remake since I always get some bullshit error about the filesystem not being found.
>>62456284
>I would go with the Dell, just because my current monitor refreshes with a break across the middle and it's annoying as hell for videos with rapid movement, so having a high refresh rate might preemptively fix that issue
that's called Tearing, fixed by enabling V-Sync in your driver settings. Google it
>>
>>62456168
do you have children who may have used your email to register for those sites?

are they legitimate emails or phishing scams? (when you hover over the links, do they lead to the real website or a different one?)
>>
>>62456351
Are you booting from a windows install disk?
>>
>>62456373
Nope, I made a recovery USB before this shit happened. Should I get a fresh ISO and try repairing from there?
>>
>>62456400
http://download.cnet.com/Lazesoft-Recovery-Suite-Home/3000-2094_4-75749925.html?part=dl-10055229&subj=dl&tag=button
>>
>>62456355
>(when you hover over the links, do they lead to the real website or a different one?)
Holy fuck I'm a retard, didn't even think of checking it that way. Yeah, it's pretty obvious it doesn't have anything to do with EA.
Thanks a lot, anon
>>
>>62456415
this looks sketchy anon-kun.
>>
>>62456432
>just went to cnet and ublock blacklisted it, fight ublock to download the file. It's an EXE.
mate. I'm on my braindead desktop with no other laptop around. I'm stuck on my 60GB debian partition.
>>
>>62456432
It's a legit company running a WinPE based repair disk. You can go with a regular windows iso if you want, it'll be able to do some types of repair, albeit with less handholding
>>
>>62456456
Hmmm, I'll try it anon but read >>62456444
;-;
>>
>>62456444
Yeah I always though it was a bit dumb that ublock blacklisted all the major download site. Although I'll admit it's made it a little easier to rein in the old folks installs.

>>62456469
I did. Slow your roll.
>>
>>62456489
Thank you anon~
I've been stumped since last week about this whole ordeal and It's good to see some actual help rather than locked forum threads that didn't solve my issue.
>>
>>62446676
What's the bump limit on /g/?
On /pol/ it's always been 300
>>
>>62456505
Most basic way to attempt the repair with windows installation ISO:

http://www.dell.com/Support/article/us/en/19/SLN300987

If that doesn't work for you, you can try digging in with gandalf's WinPE, which comes in ISO form

http://windowsmatters.com/2016/11/10/gandalfs-win10pe-x64-redstone-build-14393-version-10-24-2016/
>>
>>62456570
Alright, thanks anon-kun~
I'll probably give up if either don't work and nuke the fucker from orbit after getting my things out of there.
>>
>>62456588
Mkay. I'd consider a repair install before an outright nuking, but it's up to you

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html
>>
>>62456623
Thank, I'm gonna dig into this shit ASAP.
>>
>>62456094
what version? how stable?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-09-16_04-12-18.png (49KB, 622x322px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-09-16_04-12-18.png
49KB, 622x322px
>>62456944
Read, It's pretty stable since it gets updated by this reddit guy that was kind enough to set up a repository for painless installation. It's about as stable as ESR and it feels magnificent.
>>
>>62456961
>linux
that doesn't mean the windows version will be just as good
>>
>>62456968
Well, trying it costs literally nothing. I've used it on Windows as well but I fail to see the point of Firefox and its forks on Windows the botnet central. Chrome is the way to go on Windows IMO.
>>
>>62456978
believe it or not but after the last update i lost ALL installed addons and their preferences. it was a headache to reinstall everything
>Chrome
i don't even want to hear about that
>>
>>62457001
>believe it or not but after the last update i lost ALL installed addons and their preferences. it was a headache to reinstall everything
They made a slight change that changed their configs from .firefox to .waterfox . There was a prompt when I updated asking me to import my shit.
>>Chrome
>i don't even want to hear about that
Well, you're gonna be stuck between Firefox Nightly, Firefox Forks (most are broken and outdated), Chrome, Chromium, and Chromium forks. I'd personally pick the least troublesome one
>>
in umatrix, can i br more specific about blocked components?
i want some scripts to be blocked but some allowed
>>
I'm on a tight budget so I can only pick one of these for a new PC. Which is better overall?

>60hz monitor and SSD

or

>120hz monitor and HDD 7200RPM

what would be better overall
>>
Windows and Linux (any) dual booting. Will Windows spying shit be able to look at anything I have in a different partition that I have Linux stuff in?
>>
Recently ads have been opening two tabs in the same popup window, so if you close it right away if your browser asks permission to terminate instances with multiple tabs, it will. This hasn't happened in the past few years I've been religiously using computers, only the past two weeks at most. How may I stop this besides using adblock (though I get if I were to use adblock, it'd be ublock origin)?
>>
When I scroll on a website using the touch screen on my tiny 200$ tablet-computer it's virtually lagless, but when I scroll using the trackpad it's not. Anyone know why?

It's a HP x2 10, and I'm using Edge.
>>
I want to back up the files on my hard drive so I can put the hard drive in a new PC and I have an external hard drive, can I just partition the external hard drives and move the files to it using cloning software?
>>
I need a browser that isn't as fucking stupid as Firefox where if I accidentally do "close other tabs" then I can recover them all instead of 10% of t hem.
>>
>>62458034
>I can recover them all instead of 10% of t hem.
never ever experienced such thing. you're doing something wrong
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.