[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the hell does anyone actually have trouble with this stuff?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: pointers.png (25KB, 1201x196px) Image search: [Google]
pointers.png
25KB, 1201x196px
Why the hell does anyone actually have trouble with this stuff? It's a pointer: it points to locations in memory.

I'm honestly curious, since every implementation of them I've seen has been pretty simple to understand.
>>
I never really understood it, either.
I can't tell you how many people failed C because of pointers.
>>
>>62429768
but they are literally just non-fluff variables. that's all they are. they're a reference to something useful elsewhere, just like variables. how the fuck can it be hard to grasp if you know what memory even is?
>>
It's easy to have trouble when your teacher is from mainland china and you can only understand one out of every 11 words.
>>
> No ownership indication
> Indirection abuse
> Different scopes are misleading
> Dangling pointers are common
> Inconsistent coding style (team issues)

The list goes on.
>>
>>62429331
>>62429862
Most professors teaching programming treat pointers as some horribly abstract and difficult to grasp concept, which makes students think their simple intuition about what they actually are must be wrong, and they spend a ton of time confusing themselves by trying to understand the non-
existent deeper meaning of pointers.

Same goes for recursion.
>>
>>62429911
If you can't self-teach pointers just give up now tbqh.
>>
>>62429331
i had trouble with it at first, but once i visualised the concept and tried it out i managed to pick it up quickly
>>
It's hard to understand if you never got to know what memory looks like and how it's structured when programs are ran.
>>
Pointers are stupid desu senpai.

>MUH DYNAMIC MEMORY
>MUH ARRAYS

why? 99% of use cases for pointers could simply abstract them away and it'd be easier
>>
File: 1419391357308.jpg (32KB, 596x285px) Image search: [Google]
1419391357308.jpg
32KB, 596x285px
>>62429331
Honestly i didnt really understand then until i saw pic related
>>
>>62430012
>Most professors teaching programming treat pointers as some horribly abstract and difficult to grasp concept
well thats true... my own college prof did the same thing when introducing us to C. the only thing i couldnt understand was why he made such drama about something so elementary
>>
File: what_is_the_output_anon.png (9KB, 309x290px) Image search: [Google]
what_is_the_output_anon.png
9KB, 309x290px
>>62429331
The concept is pretty easy to understand but you can do abitrarily complex shit with them to confuse people.. I think pic related is the worst task my prof had put into an exam.
>>
It's not 1985 anymore so we use proper languages with memory management and garbage collection instead of jacking off thinking you're superior for making a shitty version of it yourself. Pro tip, if you actually made anything outside of your hello worlds you would end up spending most of your time debugging. if you aren't using an OOP web framework by now there's almost a 200% chance you're a fucking loser that's never made a dime
>>
>>62433323
>found the memory managementlet
>>
can you point a floater in an array?
>>
>>62433348
can you what what what??
>>
>>62433332
Go find an ironic-unironic-ironic ASM shit and record each other racing to your graves.
>>
>>62433323
>you're superior
of course I am
>>
>>62429331
so many wrong things in that picture
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.