[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got a job in webdev, how to succeed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: consider.png (5KB, 601x695px) Image search: [Google]
consider.png
5KB, 601x695px
So I got sub-contracted to do webdev / software engineering with a large IT firm. Been there over a month, and liking it, it's like the best gig I've had so far, so I'd like to hang on to it..

Backstory:
I worked at a couple startups previously and one large company before this, which weren't quite the right fit for various reasons, so it's not my first rodeo.

Pros: based on my experience I negotiated pay from the agency that is even above entry level. So at this rate I can pay off my loans, and be coasting quite well, if I can hold steady at least a couple years. Also, I get to code in new languages in JS, on large sites in production with millions of visitors, etc.

Cons: still feels like an uphill climb sometimes. Managers breathing down my neck make me think I'm not pulling my weight (even though I do always deliver excellent quality code). They brought me into a meeting w/ other new hires, said they want us 'to go the extra mile' / we're being reviewed.. that's kind of a joke, since I'm subcontracted anyway; I actually have a non-compete built into the agreement from the staffing company that says I can't build apps or do major 'architectural' work for the client..

I don't have any degree in CS or engineering (my bachelor's is in business; instead of formal studies, I taught myself w/ online courses, and via making my own projects, getting clients, etc), so often I think those with such credentials get the edge over me in getting assigned interesting projects, while I'm left with scraps.

So I just don't want to stagnate. If I'm left only doing bland trivial code, and not building full-on solutions, I worry I'll be let go. I'd rather the legal / political shit wasn't in the way, then I could bring my skills out, actually come up with big ideas for the company, and stick around enough to build up a decent nestegg retirement, but I just dunno how to get over the hurdles. It seems like whichever way I go I run the risk of getting screwed.
>>
>>62420607
Better start sucking some cock
>>
File: 1475702787063.jpg (217KB, 900x789px) Image search: [Google]
1475702787063.jpg
217KB, 900x789px
>>62420607
>>
>>62420607
Go the extra mile
>>
>>62420607

start a blog you homosexual
>>
>>62420607
extra mile = extra money
offer to go the extra mile if the firm youre subcontracted to offers you a permanent position
until then do super good work with the stuff you're there to do
you can cheat by bringing some work home and laying structure to your projects etc, anything you don't have to test (not too much that it's unrealistic) or think about and solve problems at home. this gives you an edge above anyone who has a gf/children/other free-time occupations.
>>
File: Oi9Rwtv.jpg (144KB, 892x729px) Image search: [Google]
Oi9Rwtv.jpg
144KB, 892x729px
>>62420607

build tools/apps for 'yourself' then give the client a free license to use them
>>
>>62420607
Get other people to do the work for you, then take credit for it. You'll get picked out of a management position in no time.
>>
>>62420706
This is kind of silly. How can a solar flare destroy the possibility of electricity in the future? Lack of thereof would definitely cause global panic and collapse, but no way we would revert by 1000 years with a just hard hats.
>>
>>62423579
do you really not understand how electricity works?
>>
>>62423579
Economic and social collapse after much of our communications and electricity dependent infrastructure completely fails.

But that's really not the point of the image. The actual event that causes disaster is irrelevant. Our civilization is super fragile and a lot of bad things could happen to it. The point is not to be someone with no skills or preparations for disaster.
>>
>>62423613
Apparently I don't, can you give me a quick rundown why wouldn't you be able to make a new machine that produces electricity afterwards?

>>62423738
I agree, I said the same thing about collapse.
But this picture directly, and on purpose hits in programmers and technology users, while majority of occupations nowadays would be useless after such incident. And really, if you were to get ready for such disaster, you would have to be like those bunker living families, otherwise you are donezo (unless you are military or government)
>>
>>62420607
> still feels like an uphill climb sometimes
> So I just don't want to stagnate
What is it, actually?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.