[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stop trying to make facial recognition happen. It's not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 1

File: iPhone X charging.jpg (26KB, 1024x1076px) Image search: [Google]
iPhone X charging.jpg
26KB, 1024x1076px
Face ID is a really bad idea.

Let's imagine for a moment that there's a scale with only one horizontal axis. Further to the left is security, while further to the right is convenience.
A number code is very far to the left; it's probably the most secure way to lock your phone but gets really annoying to have to punch in those digits any time you want to do anything besides take a photo.
Further to the right is Face ID. Incredibly convenient but also dangerously easy to surpass.
Touch ID would be somewhere in the middle; it's less secure than a pass code but much more convenient. Touch ID can be surpassed, yes, but only with a lot of time and resources and a big chunk of money spent in the process. Someone would have to steal your phone, steal your fingerprint by somehow getting a picture where your fingerprints are clear enough to replicate, then replicate your fingerprints onto a silicone print. Someone would only do that if you were important enough to go through all of that for your information; say, if you were a politician with dirt or a celebrity or something.
Meanwhile, Face ID can be surpassed if, say, I'm talking to someone with my iPhone X sitting on a table between us and they just decide to take my phone, point it at me and swipe up. That's all they have to do to get in. Takes no effort or time or money, really.
Besides, fingerprints are much more reliable anyway; they work in many more environments than facial recognition technologies do. Doesn't matter if your finger is moist or damp, upside down or not, doesn't matter if you're inside or outside, in the dark or in broad sunlight; 'it just werx.' Face ID, despite being better than standard Face Unlock due to the fact that it makes a 3D mapping of your face rather than just taking a picture, still sucks because it wouldn't work 100% of the time like a fingerprint sensor would.

I don't hate bezels enough to sacrifice both security and convenience to get rid of them. I don't think anyone does.
>>
Ok

-google
>>
I love all this judging of technology that isn't even released yet.
>>
>>62416569
You thought all of this through, but you did not bother to read up how FaceID works. You need to be making eye contact with your phone.

If you are talking to someone who steals your phone. If you are leaving your phone out just like that. If you are fucking foolish enough to look at your phone, KNOWING how FaceID works. Then you don't deserve security and should've gotten the 8.
>>
>>62416569
>just have to pick up my phone and deliberately point it at my face, ensuring I look at it or it won't even unlock, and then swipe up.

Yeah, cause that situation happens all the time.
>>
>>62416569
>Doesn't matter if your finger is moist or damp
Wrong
>>
>>62416672
>someone takes your phone
>you look at it while attempting to get it back
what the fuck am I supposed to do? try to get it back while looking at the sky?
>>
>>62416672
It actually does. I've watched my friends unlock other people's phones by just pointing it at them.
>>
>>62416736
>>62416756
The problem is that you shouldn't be leaving your phone sitting around for others to just grab.
>>
>>62416826
>phone has a yuge security flaw
>"LMAO WELL JUST DON'T LET PEOPLE SEE UR PHONE!"
iSheeple at their finest
>>
This guy gets it.
Applefags on suicide watch.
>MUH SHINY DEVICE.
>MUH GLASS BACK XDDDD SO SHINY
>MUH ANIMATED EMOJIS THROUGH MY FACE LOLOLOL
>FACEBOOK LOADS 6 GORRILLION PERCENT FASTER NOW!!!1!!!
>I CAN RECEIVE STACY'S NUDES IN 4K NOW!!!!!!11!!
>>
>>62416569
Already failed at launching event
>>
>>62416826
>Have broken car where if you go into 3rd gear the radiator explodes.
>"JUST DON'T USE THAT GEAR XD."
>>
Face ID:
>push power button to wake up the screen
>take your phone
>raise it near your face
>swipe up

Touch ID:
>put your finger on the sensor
>>
>>62416890
Not a defender but to be fair it didn't fail. They just didn't use it before that demo. The Pixel does the same thing with the fingerprint sensor; you have to put in the code first to use the fingerprint sensor after that until the next time you boot it up.
>>
>>62416854
not him, but i don't know how much more of a leap it is to be worried about them playing with the phone and then grabbing your hand to unlock your phone. face unlock makes it easier, yes, but at this point your friends aren't really that trustworthy.

if you're hanging out with people and you don't trust them to not grab your phone and try to unlock it, 1) they're not your friends, and 2) click the power button 5 times to disable face ID until you unlock it again.
>>
>>62416953
iPhone screens wake when you pick them up
>>
>>62416569
Windows Hello works pretty well, but for portable devices it's a pain to use.
>>
>>62416854
I don't even like Apple stuff. I don't understand how this makes me a sheep.

>>62416899
So, just because your car would explode from putting it in 3rd gear, you'd do it regardless?

What is the problem with not letting people touch your phone? My phone is locked with my fingerprint and I don't let anyone touch my phone anyway.
>>
>>62416953
doesn't face id automatically activate when you pick up the phone and look at the screen? you do have to swipe to get to home, but with touch id you had to click to get to home
>>
>>62416953
>>push power button to wake up the screen
not needed you moron. you just lift your phone up and it unlocks it.
>>
>>62416953
>put finger on sensor
>doesnt unlock
>adjust finger
>doesnt unlock
>adjust again
>doesnt unlock
>adjust again
>doesnt unlock

Yeah, TouchID is flawless.
>>
>>62416986
>>62417010
still 3 steps instead of one
>>
other phones have implemented face unlock already and there hasn't been a watershed moment in those people's lives in terms of security issues. for the same reason that the iphone x isn't especially innovative, it's also kind of stupid to claim that this changes the game for anyone. if you were a skeptic of biometrics before, then this doesn't change the calculus in any really appreciable way.
>>
>>62416569
>Meanwhile, Face ID can be surpassed if, say, I'm talking to someone with my iPhone X sitting on a table between us and they just decide to take my phone, point it at me and swipe up. That's all they have to do to get in. Takes no effort or time or money, really.
1. retard back camera doesn't work for face recognition
2. retard if i see someone point my phone's front cam at me trying to unlock it im gonna punch the shit out of them

also you have to be close to it for it to work cunt
>>
>not a single person submitted a "too long didn't read" gif
are you serious?
>>
>>62416991
3rd gear fag here.
My argument was that instead of applefags complaining to Apple to fix the FaceID problem where someone can just take the phone, and scan their face while running away, applefags are busy saying "teehee just don't give your phone to anyone else."
>>
>>62417019
this. touch ID doesn't seem to work when i'm running. like at all. best case is it works after 2 or 3 tries, but 30 minutes into a run i just know better than to even try and unlock the phone with fingerprint scanner. i skip straight to passcode unlock.

biometric authentication has all sorts of problems. face unlock trades some for others. people on /g/ acting like this is a totally new set of compromises needs to get outside and get more oxygen or something.
>>
>>62417030
How FaceID works:
Pick up phone
Swipe up
You're in!

How TouchID works:
Press one of two buttons on phone
Keep registered finger on sensor
Press button to get to home screen
You're in!

Seems like TouchID uses more steps.
>>
>>62417030
>pick up your phone
>you're already looking at it
>swipe up
vs
>pick up your phone
>place finger on home button
>press button
It's not much different.
>>
>>62417092
You dont need to pick up your phone to unlock it with the front fingerprint sensor.
>>
>>62417030
retard, it ELIMINATES A STEP! No need to press a button. You just lift the phone as you're gonna look at it and it's unlocked. No need to use your other hand and press shit.
>>
>>62417068
The argument doesn't make sense though. Basically, if someone is going to unlock your phone by shoving in in your face, and then run off with it, there's a problem with having your phone in an easily accessible area in the first place.

If it's a friend or something, I'm sure you could just easily snatch it back.

Also, you probably need to have the phone relatively close to your face, and if someone was trying to unlock it, you would probably be able to grab it before they had a chance to flip up.
>>
>>62417085
???
you just put your finger on the sensor
>>62417144
it forces you to pick up the phone and swipe up.
many times i just wake up my phone laying on the table to check some messages.
>>
>>62417185
Pretty sure you can't just pop your finger on the sensor without pressing on it in some fashion, even if it is the 7/8.
>>
>>62417185
face ID can read your face even at an angle, so you can still unlock your phone on the table
>>
>>62417214
This. They even showed someone unlocking it while it laid down.

At that point, you'd probably just have to tap the screen and swipe up. Still two steps.
>>
>>62417185
>it forces you to pick up the phone and swipe up.
watch the demos you moron.
>>
Fuck me this feels exactly like /g/ when the fingerprint sensor came out...
>>
>>62417214
Welcome to the botnet.
>>
>>62417366
thanks
>>
>>62417366
>botnet
>would still work without ever being connected to any network ever

Ok.
>>
>>62417185
>it forces you to pick up the phone and swipe up.
poor baby, swiping must be so hard
>>
>>62417548
I spend a good part of my time working at the office and I don't wan't to pick up my phone from the table every time I want to check my notifications.
That's why I avoid phones with the fingerprint sensor on the back.
But if >>62417214 is right It won't be bad. Still you need to swipe up..
>>
>Want to go without a phone and use a laptop for all communications
>Computers still cannot get SMS
>>
I hate the idea of face ID and I hope this isn't the way biometric security is heading. But you can literally do the same thing to someone with touch id. Just grab their hand rofl
>>
At least wait until the phone is out and in the hands of people before you start making crazy claims.
>>
>>62418430
>he doesn't use a macbook and exclusively associate with people who have apple products
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.