[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A day in the life of a software engineer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 17

File: r9k 6.jpg (102KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
r9k 6.jpg
102KB, 1280x960px
Is this accurate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqX8PFcOpxA
>>
>arriving at work at 10:30am
absolutely disgusting
>>
>>62409937
She looks like the lead from boys over flowers. Muh dick
>>
>>62409937
She should be collecting NEETbux and working on open source software instead.
>>
>>62409937
>applies makeup
dropped
>>
>>62409966
The whole team shows up at that time so who gives a fuck?
>>
File: neckbeard fedora.png (455KB, 595x622px) Image search: [Google]
neckbeard fedora.png
455KB, 595x622px
>>62410117
*tips*
>>
>she
>>
>>62409966
Just one of the perks of being in a college-educated, employable field. You're usually salaried and get to choose your hours.
>>
>>62409966
I work in the field and my boss basically just said "just get your 8 hrs in and nobody cares. You can come at 12 and go at 8 if you really want to"
>>
>>62409937
This is going to be me in a few months, and it looks boring as fuck. That's my life now just in a different city and I'm in by 9:30am vs 10:30am. I've lived this way for a decade and the 20-somethings novelty has worn off long ago. Help me, /g/.
>>
>>62410457
nice

I have to be at work between 9 and 16:00, can decide for myself if I do the rest of the 8 hours before or after
>>
>>62409937
Maybe if you live in a hipster area. Working in a suburb I basically drive to work in my own closed office using an outdated laptop with a 2nd generation intel cpu. I usually bring in my laptop and hook it up to a third monitor I found in some storage area.

Sometimes I fuck around on youtube or here, but I always get my work done and more so nobody complains. Food is not provided, gotta get it myself but there are a ton of restaurants here so it is no problem (but I gotta drive so I just end up drinking 2 energy drinks a day and go home). When I got too much time on my hands, I look up coding tutorials and read programming pdfs (not books, management does not like that) and study hoping to get a better job.

Go home, take a hour nap and a hour break, then hit the gym. Come back, take a laptop to bed and watch something b4 falling asleep. It is a bit comfy, but I wish my job involved more coding. It is more gui based and database stuff then I would like. I get 25 usd an hour for working

8 - wake up and do some hygiene shit
9 - Arrive at work
9- 5:30 Work
6 - Go home and take a nap
7- Wake up and fuck around playing games or reading
9 - hit the gym
10 - Come back and take a shower
11 - watch something until I finally go to sleep.
>>
>>62409937
CA = liberal containment state

can't wait until the SA fault goes
>>
>have all the money to do whatever you want
>still have group meetings even though your team is literally all just grads
>still do absolutely nothing but complete a work shift and then walk your dog
LMAO
guess autism truly is incurable
>>
File: 1473389312110.jpg (84KB, 384x512px) Image search: [Google]
1473389312110.jpg
84KB, 384x512px
>>62409937
>Arrival: 10:24
>Departure: 17:42
>Lunch break in between

Doesn't seem to be full-time employment, more like 30 hours per week.

Also:

>Working for Patreon
>Writing Objective-C for muh Apps
>""Software"" """Engineer"""
>>
jesus christ on a stick
>>
>>62409937
Software engineer NEET here. The pic is accurate.
>>
What a bunch of faggots. I'd rather blow my brains out.
>>
>>62409966
>>62410457
My place is similar, we can work any hours we want as long as we average 36 hours a week over a 1 month period. Only real rule is we need to be in by 10am
>>
File: 1374471721649.jpg (55KB, 387x505px) Image search: [Google]
1374471721649.jpg
55KB, 387x505px
>>62410807
I got all comfy looking forward to a video about that guy and his adventures. But no. Didn't get that video at all. Was that a tranny? What was the punchline?
>>
>>62410866
It was just a pretentious vlog video about a hipster community coding job.
>>
>>62410866
the punchline is that she's miserable
>>
File: humanity.png (160KB, 680x582px) Image search: [Google]
humanity.png
160KB, 680x582px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWAHs003-hU

LOGIC IS MATH YOU FUCKING RETARDED CUNT. HOLY SHIT. KILL HER PLEASE
>>
>>62410996
no need to be sexist
remember she's out there creating and you're in here posting frog memes, her value >>> yours
>>
>>62410918
trigger mode subsides, thanks, I feel much better
>>
>>62409937
yes, I apply makeup every morning as a software engineer
>>
>>62411015
I am a embedded engineer though and now got a lil of freetime, because it is evening round here
>>
>>62410996
women got it easier in the tech field cause the programming industry is a sausagefest. It is evident that companies are practically begging for female devs cause of the number of women only hackathons and computer science scholarships. It is a bit sexist t b h
>>
Imagine coming home to her loving embrace everyday
>>
>>62409966
I would fucking hate not getting home until 7pm or whenever she does.

My schedule is pretty comfy atm:
>6:30 wake up
>7:30 at work
>11:30, lunch with buddy in other department, about 1 hr
>4:00 leave work
>4:15 gym
>5:15 shower and make dinner
>6:00 do whatever I want for the next 4.5 hours
>10:30 bed

I've cut out almost all regular consumption of coffee.
>>
yep I sofware engineer and my day is pretty similar to that, down the La Croix.

>tfw still miserable
>>
>>62411211
What is la Croix?
>>
File: 0aa.png (37KB, 165x115px) Image search: [Google]
0aa.png
37KB, 165x115px
>I am actually useful to the company and people constantly give me compliments
>I don't know how to deal with success and compliments and just laugh nervously
Fuck my life anon.
>>
>>62411245
carbonated water with a hint of something. Tastes terrible tb h, only drink it to avoid my soda addiction.
>>
>>62411250
>I am actually useful to the company and people constantly give me compliments
actually part of the hot meme these days is to constantly compliment people even though they're fucking useless so it 'encourages them to participate more'
you're just getting socially manipulated guess it must feel great to be a brainlet lmao
>>
>>62411245
the hipster flavored water they were drinking at 2:10
>>
>>62410457
This has been me for the past 2.5 years. Working as a dev in a start up. Just got a new job though. Pays nearly twice the salary but it's a medium sized business. 9-5 hnnnng. I'm so used to rolling in and out as I please.
>>
>>62410918
Good she should be looking after the kitchen, stupid cunt feminists
>>
>>62411285
Well what ended up happening was 2 senior devs quit and basically they only knew how it worked, but I somehow managed to figure out their C code and put everything into python (I know, but apparently we are moving everything to python). Finished it in a month, basically 1 year earlier then they thought it would take. It wasn't hard to figure out, it was basically 1 file and the others were variations of it. I think I contributed....
>>
tldr
im sure you're doing great sweetie :)
>>
>>62409937
>Waking up at 7:30
>Two hours to get to work
>Having to sit and work in an open office near other humans where they can see you
>Standing around in a circle with coworkers, chatting and laughing with them

Disgusting. Is this how all software development is? Should I work towards a different field instead? Is there any way I can just wake up at 2 PM, and work from home in my own time?
>>
>>62409937
meanwhile, terry became homeless >>62411226

and many cis white males are committing suicide because can't get a minimum wage job and their CS degree is worthless
>>
>>62411594
terry is a threat to everyone around him, he should be in rehab not out and about
>>
>>62410996
Logic is not necessarily math, especially what you probably mean when you say logic.
But discussing this topic would get too philosophical quite quickly, so I'll just leave it be.
>>
>>62411293
Corporate work has its own brand of cancer to it, but I believe that in the end, it is superior.
Reliable paycheck, sane hours, and a business-oriented attitude make it much more predictable and effective.

Startups seem to expect the next level of dedication from you, like the success of the company is your own personal goal.
So yeah you get to come in "whenever", but it's also expected that you work whatever hours it takes to get the project done. Combine that with the less-than-stellar pay, and the general atmosphere (exemplified by the whole open office meme), I guess I can say I'm happily a corporate drone.
>>
File: dubya.jpg (7KB, 277x182px) Image search: [Google]
dubya.jpg
7KB, 277x182px
>>62409937
>mfw all software engineers are fucking normies.
>>
>>62409937
At least they don't work in fucking STARBUCKS.
>>
>>62411594
>can't get a minimum wage job
Are they disabled? Taco Bell will hire basically anyone.

>their CS degree is worthless
Their own doing. In 2017, going to college, making some connections, getting good, and getting a CS degree is basically a ticket to a decent job.

Also, please do not pretend Terry is representative of the general "cis white male" population. He has a severe mental illness and is an alcoholic.
>>
>>62409937
Fuck forced socialization. I'm open but I have limits.
Otherwise comfy/10.
>>
File: 1430211199396.png (23KB, 800x721px) Image search: [Google]
1430211199396.png
23KB, 800x721px
>>62411404
Great job anon!
>>
>>62411530
>>Standing around in a circle with coworkers, chatting and laughing with them

I think that was the stand-up meeting.

Do you even scrum?
>>
>>62411893
Either way, disgusting. I don't want to have to contact with other people in person like that. It looks like hell.
>>
>>62409937
That fucking 2 hour commute though
>>
>>62410597
> not books, management does not like that

How so?
>>
Stop shilling your fucking youtube channel you ugly chink piece of shit.

And no, that's not how it looks like. Your work place reminds me of of those scam companies receiving government funds to create a desired thing which never becomes a reality and the owner runs away with the money. Sometimes it's not government funds, it could be money from Kickstarter or Patreon.
>>
You have to question yourself, who would actually film a 'regular' day of theirs and post it online? Majority won't, therefore all that leaves is a certain section of people that want validation.
>>
My workday starts at 9:30 and ends at 18:00, lunch made by a really good chef every day. Work environment is really great. Pay is quite alright. 1hr commute with the train and bike.

>tfw no qt asian programming gf
>>
>>62412408
Yeah, having a job can involve human interaction like that.
Better stay a NEET.

But if you must have a meeting, stand up is best.
The point is to make it uncomfortable after a couple of minutes, so everybody keeps it super short.
Should not take more than 5 minutes and then you can put your headphones on and go full autism for the rest of the day.
>>
>>62412958
You have to question yourself, who would actually fill in the name field and post it online? Majority won't, therefore all that leaves is a certain section of people that want validation.
>>
>>62413206
>Should not take more than 5 minutes and then you can put your headphones on and go full autism for the rest of the day.
Doing so in an open office environment is pretty tough to do, sure you're blocking out the sound but that's the least of your worries in an open environment.

>>62413237
Thank you for proving my point.
>>
>>62411693
I will say that's what you get with your Silicon Valley startup, but not with all.

I'm starting at a bootstrapped (read: no investors, privately held company) startup where going over 40/hrs week is discouraged, and we're getting paid pretty significantly above average for the area (Midwest).

Just need to find a good company that isn't wanting to work you to death for very little money.
>>
>>62413001
>end by 18:00
>1h commute
nigga what's the point? you're a slave
>>
>>62409937
i didn't see her put on programming socks
>>
>>62413264
>Doing so in an open office environment is pretty tough to do

It really isn't.
Everybody just looks at their screen.

And it sure beats working in a cubicle.

At my previous job we had one guy with legit autism.
He did get a room of his own, where he spend all day except for 2 minutes to grab some lunch (which he ate in his little room while everybody else enjoyed lunch together)
So maybe you can ask the same?
>>
>>62411404
Good job anon, ask for a raise so I don't lose my job
>>
>>62413385
Everyone in my office does have their own closed space. We also have a pretty rad open lobby with lots of seating space if you do want some public time.
>>
>>62409937

>taking a video of the inside of your office
>recording proprietary software
>posting it all on YouTube

Absolutely haram
>>
>>62411404
the only reward for good work is more work

never do more than the bare minimum
I would have taken a whole year to do that if that's what they expected of me
>>
>>62413584
If you work at Taco Bell, maybe. In the real world hard work pays off.
>>
>>62409937
>going to the office

Pig fucking disgusting. I do homeoffice 4 days per week, I would go full homeoffice but my boss forces me to show up there at least one day per week.
I hate this cool and modern techie office bullshit google started.
Fuck I hate being a wage cuck.
>>
>>62413814
Real work on your terms always pays off.
Being at the mercy of someone else for your paycheck means your "hard work" will always be rewarded with more work.
An example:
What would happen if your employer found out you were automating away half of your job responsibilities with a python script and you were sitting around doing nothing while on the clock?
Either they're replace you or they'd lay on more work because you are underutilized labor.
>>
>>62410457
Thats ideal to avoid being on the same rat race cycle as everyone else and waste less time in traffic
>>
File: cdc.jpg (33KB, 600x558px) Image search: [Google]
cdc.jpg
33KB, 600x558px
Chi(n)ck's (hehehe) life looks miserable. I wish startups just died or got funds harder or something. Working my first job for almost 4 months now and I swear to God it's awful. Come when you want is a meme when everyone comes at 9:30-10am and you're basically forced to do so too or everyone gives you the looks when leaving. Boss acting half his age to fit in is so transparently inauthentic and insulting that it makes me feel like fucking leaving civilization and go live in the woods. Open offices are so devoid of privacy that I sweat even browsing some non-work related framework's site, let alone visit 4chan or looking at a video. And guess what, I'm stationed right next to my boss. Real, actually defined tasks are imaginary. Meetings are too many and too useless.

I've heard things are worse in corporations. Is that true? Because then I'm better off just fucking killing myself now, I can't take working like this for the rest of my life.
>>
>>62413904
just make enough money so you can buy a nice cushy plot of land to build a house in the middle of nowhere and you won't have to deal with assholes ever again
>>
>>62413860
Obviously you'd be laid off because you essentially lied to your employer. But you're right, you failed to do the work on your terms. You got hired as a data entry guy, but you worked as a software engineer. Let's say you presented your automation to your boss. I know, this is work but stick with me.
>Boss, I can automate this. You will save you millions. If you want me to do it, and I am truly the best person to do this because I know the process inside out, you need to change my job title to software engineer and pay me an engineer's salary.
Then your next job is consulting as an automation engineer, making $100/hour.
>>
>designing GUIs
>engineering
god this triggers me

just use the word "developer". you aren't an engineer
>>
>>62409937
>makeup
>to much socializing
>not enough raging at debug output and shit that doesn't work
>A FUCKING KEY FOR THE OFFICE BUILDING

yeah no
>>
>>62409937
ha ha I need my coffee meme its my fuel

Also this video is the fakest fucking thing I've ever seen.

You run a meme website and it apparently takes 40 of you.
>>
>>62413206
Why not just use something like IRC though?
>>
>>62409937
>2 hour commute
>surrounded by numales
>stand-up with totem because they're children

That is my idea of hell.
>>
>>62409937
>2 hour commute each way
>no older workers at all, which tells you something about her future
>>
>>62413584
This is so true.

I do networking in the military, and I made big splash, so to speak, when I arrived at my first duty station here.
In 6 months, I knew more, and was capable of more than almost all the guys who had been there for 3-4 years. Yeah, leadership loves me, but that's because if they need something to get done they know they can just dump it on good ol anon here, and it will happen.

Of course, everyone's always like "oh you'll promote fast!". Wrong. I led a ton of high-vis projects, big technical changes, inspection team, etc, and lose the early promotion to the girl who works at the geek squad shop and bats her eyes at the wing commander.

That was for E-4. E-5 and above can be easily earned if you just fucking study for the promotion test.

So once I leave this base, I'm done being superman. I'll show up, do a good job at exactly what I'm asked, and go home with no stress.
>>
>>62409937
lmao this is me, i even commute by train.

except i work at a small conservative, and profitable company where i have earned 20% of the business, not a bullshit hipster place where everyone has to pretend to like each other
>>
>>62409937
fucking pretentious gook
>>
File: 1488951826016.jpg (126KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1488951826016.jpg
126KB, 600x900px
>>62411594
what the hell that just breaks my heart
where is he living now? was that video filmed in a restaurant?
>>
>>62411029
>i pretend to be a woman everyday as a software engineer
>>
>>62414051
>engineer
That word doesn't mean anything anymore.
>>
>>62414051
those words are pretty interchangeable though

>>62415164
it does in countries with certifications
>>
>>62415202
>>62415202
>it does in countries with certifications

If you work as an ACTUAL engineer that works on public projects. Civil engineers at my school are required to get their FE to graduate. Lots of companies slap the word engineer on their titles to sound fancy. Before I went to college I was a desktop support monkey but my official title was "Desktop Support Engineer". The word doesn't mean much anymore.
>>
>>62415202
>it does in countries with certifications
licenses, you stupid

professional licenses, not certifications.
>>
>>62412887
Pretense.
>>
>>62415243
yeah but it's only because their work is directly related to public safety. Being too autistic about this shit is like that medfag that keeps reciting 'we save lives' while doing nothing more than writing cough prescriptions all his life.
>>
>>62415243
unironically this.
software engineer =/= normal engineer
sorry faggots, just does not even begin to compare. real engineering degrees are much more difficult
>>
File: 1497837436112.jpg (330KB, 847x609px) Image search: [Google]
1497837436112.jpg
330KB, 847x609px
>>62409937
>riding a train
>toasted bagels and shit
>going out to eat
>office looks like a hipster coffee shop
No. Software engineer who has worked on low level boot firmware and device driver firmware for stuff at Intel and Cisco systems as a contractor here.

My average day:
>wake up at 6
>big cup of black covfefe and a cigarette
>take a shower
>drive to work
>get with coworkers for 10-15 minutes at around 8AM to go over what needs to be done for the day and plan accordingly
>chitchat with people about the weekend and news and stuff if it's a Monday or Friday
>plain cubicles with a filing cabinet and a reasonably powerful x86 workstation
>have my own custom mechanical memeboard for maximum comfy and a trackball mouse so hands don't get sore
>no distractions from useless hipster wallpaper or small potted trees or shit like that
>write, compile, debug code and test in VMs and sometimes on real hardware for production stuff
>get engineering samples of new hardware and spec sheets to develop for it
>oh boy it's lunch time (usually 1-2PM)
>free food in cafeteria, usually have a burger and Doritos with water or Fanta
>have afternoon meetings between 3 and 5 PM usually twice a week
>finish up by 6PM or so and get home by about 6:30PM
>feed kitty and scoop his litter box and give him some belly rubs
>make some tendies, nugs, or burritos and shitpost here or other image boards with a purring cat on my lap until I go to bed
>sometimes contribute bug fixes/reports to Fedora and Debian or do hobbyist programming for IRIX or port GNU/Linux programs to obscure systems and architectures
>have a decent hardware collection going on and fix it all up like some people do with cars and such
Filthy startup webdev SJW hipsters will never know this feeling. I absolutely love being an introvert but I see the value in the structure that a professional work environment provides. And I get paid to do what I love. All I do is win.
>>
>>62415466
why aren't you married?
>>
>>62410457
My first job out of college was like that, but left after two years for an extra $20k a year. Now I am stuck with 8-5, but at least I get better pay.
>>
>>62415504
I don't know. I just don't get out enough to meet people and I have a personal rule of keeping it strictly professional with coworkers.
>>
>>62415466

Unironic and honest question from a programming newbie aiming to get into an internship after a paid C# or Java course:

>>get with coworkers for 10-15 minutes at around 8AM to go over what needs to be done for the day and plan accordingly

What do you actually talk about during those meetings? Does some kind of leader say 'we need to build a class that contains this and this and that and need to write a function that does this and that. You do this and you do this. Let's get to work.'? I'm honestly curious about what a programming teamwork looks like.
>>
>>62415466
>usually have a burger and Doritos with water or Fanta

Enjoy your hearth attack at 40, fatty.
>>
>>62409937
>Sitting on the same desk 8 fucking hours a day
>Good

I laugh at software """engineers""", all day in front of a screen writing code like an autist, by far the worst branch of technology.
>>
File: 1504302479064.jpg (132KB, 660x880px) Image search: [Google]
1504302479064.jpg
132KB, 660x880px
>>62415744
No, it's basically "X microcontroller needs Y kind of software that does Z, please work on that with John Smith, Anon". There are also larger projects that sometimes involve writing a simple BIOS payload to boot a kernel and do hardware checks or interface with cryptography modules which require a lot more teamwork. It's also a time where we're given deadlines and reassigned to other stuff if our boss and the hardware guys deem it to be of top importance. It's also a check-in to see where we're at in our current assignments.

>>62415818
>>62415906
Fucking kill yourselves, you goddamn nofunalloweds.
>>
>>62410996
We have to stop colleges from having "computer science" programs, and restrict them only to math programs with a focus in comp sci, we would get far less brainlets in the field that way.
>>
>>62415164
it does to people who aren't ignorant

>>62415202
if you're ignorant
>>
>>62415957

Where is the fun in having shit health? I like burgers and Doritos too but "usually" sounds like 3 times a week at least.

I have a coworker that more or less eats like you, day and night, he is a cool guy but at 30 is already on sick leave now and then because of stomach problems, this kind of people do not live much longer past 50, just a matter of fact.

As for developing software not being real engineering and being the worst kind, just deal with it, not my problem you were too brainlet for the other fields, it is fine if you like your job, but you are just a glorified technician.
>>
>>62409937
>oh hey I wonder what book she's reading lemme pause
SHIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTT
>>
File: 1471705320195.jpg (49KB, 410x380px) Image search: [Google]
1471705320195.jpg
49KB, 410x380px
>>62416242
>"do you have to be good a math to be a software enginner?"
>>
>>62411637
Logic is broken down into functions which is algebra/Calc. If statements are only if f(x) is this do that else do this
>>
>Takig the train daily

Anyone knows how much it cost? looks like she is spending all in trains, restaurants and rent, now I know why millenials can't survive.
>>
>>62416740
>now I know why millenials can't survive.
eat shit boomer. do you honestly believe that people want to to have 1 hr+ commutes one way? rent especially in san fransico is fucking expensive. wouldnt even be surprised if the commuting is 10% of the actual rent. or even less
>>
>>62416740
You commute so your rent/mortgage is cheaper you mong, wasting money on restaurants everyday is retarded though.
>>
All I saw was makeup, transportation, and lunch.

Is this what software engineers do all day at work?
>>
>>62410996
math is logic you pleb
>>
>>62415466
What programing languages do you know man?
>>
>>62416818
It is the restaurant and starbucks obligatory for those who commute too faggot? of course not you pampered boy.
>>
File: 1388043909712.jpg (40KB, 630x418px) Image search: [Google]
1388043909712.jpg
40KB, 630x418px
>Work 16 hours at day maintaining and developing complex massive software interacting with the local government and several customers while everything is held together by ancient cryptic incantations and dental floss
>This dumb chink's daily routine is being a vapid bitch on vacations
End me already
>>
>>62417191
oh i wasnt addressing the restaurant only the commute and inadvertently the rent. yeah that is a waste but if you have that long commutes maybe you just dont want to cook when you get home.
>>
>>62410918
I don't understand how you could be miserable doing that. I work a shitty job at a grocery and have to deal with people 8 hours a day, she gets to live comfy the whole day and all she has to do is code and attend the occasional meeting.

I'm looking forward to that life once I graduate. Sure it may be a little boring from time to time but boredom beats stress any day.
>>
>>62417370
I worked retail, couldn't stand entitled cunt customers who whined about the most stupid shit no matter how well you tried to serve them and also the ego tripping mong managers who thought they were the shit for having a bit of power over some teenagers.
But you'll soon learn that every place has it's annoyances, cunt managers who take out their life grievances on you and backstabbing coworkers who act like your friend in front of you are in every workplace be it an office or a shitty supermarket. You just gotta learn to deal with it sooner or later for your own mental sanity.
>>
>>62417300
Seriously senpai how do you guys do it? Seems like things would break way more often than they do.

Also this girl and the people in her office look vapid as fuck. Still in uni but not looking forward to working with fags like this desu.
>>
File: 1114688209090.jpg (137KB, 730x938px) Image search: [Google]
1114688209090.jpg
137KB, 730x938px
>>62417370
>but boredom beats stress any day

This is a "grass is greener" situation. Sustained boredom leads to stress and is an unpleasant way to live.
>>
>>62417300
>she probably gets paid more than you as well
>>
>>62417079
ARM (64-bit) and x86 (IA-32) Assembly and then C for general purpose stuff.
>>
> writes three lines of code in the entire day
Sounds like me desu
Every single day I'm afraid somebody will realize I don't actually do anything and I will lose my job
>>
>>62417461
Most of them are bipolar white girls or loud black women, got a few gay guys too, it's a living hell working here. The stream of customers is constant for 8 hours, get a 30 minute break and a 15 minute one. Entitled customers are less annoying than the (few, thankfully) who go out of their way to bully me and the other cashiers. They really want to rub it in that they have power over you, faggots.

I can't wait until I get a job like OP's youtube video. I don't care if there's a few assholes, will always be 100000x better than retail/grocery stores.
>>
>>62417370

I worked in a grocery store and I was less depressed than when I was a software engineer at one of the big four. There's far less stress in a grocery store. Any stress is short-term usually.
>>
way more interesting / less depressing than my life that is for sure
working at a call center is shit af and there are power tripping managers hovering over your head like shit
no electronics are allowed onto the call floor and shit
fuck this man, i would be ok working there for years, looks comfy af too
>>
>>62417557
I'm pretty sure about that too
>>62417509
>Seems like things would break way more often than they do
Everything is breaking all the time
>>
>>62415997
>we would get far less brainlets in the field that way

But we need more programmers, smart or not so smart.
>>
>>62417300
Probably you should get a less garbo job then lad
>>
>>62417572
>Every single day I'm afraid somebody will realize I don't actually do anything and I will lose my job
lmao i had an internship and this was literally my fear the entire time. the project they gave me to do wasn't very difficult but they kept telling me i was doing fine. so glad that i'm done working that shit blows. although will have to look for a full time job soon
>>
>>62409937
This triggered my productivity autism so hard I'm turning on my work laptop rn
>>
File: 1469404373722.png (104KB, 461x350px) Image search: [Google]
1469404373722.png
104KB, 461x350px
Used to work making drivers and patching the fuck ups of chinks and pajeets in a place with cubicles and adjustable desktops in order to not spend countless hours in a chair.

The team only gathered when the new build had a serious flaw or before the release of a new version since most of the tickets are expected to be solved individually or they require the cooperation of a team member somewhere else in the world, so no need to chitchat shit but as always it is not forbidden.

Boss still bitched that I spend my whole time doing my work and I'm not wasting my time talking with co-workers, I hate the "you have to be friend of everybody in the office" meme.

Never worked in a open space office but it looks like shit no wonder why startups fail, nowadays I'm working from home, that's the way to go lads, I get to do the same thing without spending on transport, cafeteria or expected to socialize with co-workers.
>>
Damn, I feel bad for this guy.
>>
>>62413532
Kek
>>
>>62415504
Doesn't want to lose half his shit the the Man-Eaters feminism has created, where he'll have to pay alimony because of the all powerful equity family courts.
>>
>>62409966
Getting a different schedule is nice desu, you don't get stuck on the absolutely awful rush hours and go home with empty roads.
>>
>>62410996
Arithmetic is for computers anon. I'm sorry but it's not the 1970s anymore. People with your kind of autism are not needed in the IT industry except maybe for embedded shit.
>>
>>62409937
I'm jealous.
>>
>>62410515
earn NEETbux and go work for the FSF
>>
>>62410731
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>62410731
who the fuck wants full time employment

all I wanna do is be able to live by myself and have my ACTUAL LIFE revolve around friends and independent projects. what else is life anyway?
>>
>>62412927
she literally works for patreon you ignorant motherfucker
>>
>>62421004
If it was possible to earn a fully comfortable wage working part time, sure.

It's generally not, though, so I find that working the M-F 8-4 is generally the best way to work full time without it interfering too much into your social life and free time.
>>
>>62410457
I used to work at a place where you could come in at whatever time and leave at whatever time as long as you got your work for that day done.
Was going really well until the company changed hands and all that stopped.
>>
>>62421394
define fully comfortable
>>
>>62409937
SF looks like a fucking nightmare. Might enjoy it if I were a fresh grad though.
>>
>>62421544
Difficult to use hard numbers, since CoL varies across the developed world.

What I want:
>House, preferably paid off in 15 years
>1/3 of gross income saved
>7ish year old car you don't have to worry about repairs, at least not major repairs
>Eat out fairly often
>Travel 4 or 5 times a year
>Buy nice toys now and then

I've had a decent amount of success doing this on about $70k/year but a lot of that is subject to your locale.
I also don't have kids. I'm saving a lot so I have the option of scaling back my hours as I get older, if I want to.
>>
>>62421553
It's a lot of fun to visit.

The astronomical cost of living makes it unattractive to live in. Not interested in living with 3 roommates in a 2BR apartment.
>>
My SF codeslave life:

>Work at shitty startup run by rich dude with a ton of business connections
>Wake up around 11:30 or noon
>Code for an hour or 2
>Answer any questions in slack throughout the day
>Chill around the city reading or working on personal projects
>Work for another hour or 2 at night
>No office. Remote only. Can be anywhere where there's an internet connection
>120k/yr

wew lad. every day i wonder how long I can keep this up before the founder figures out how lazy i am.
>>
>>62421817
>120k/yr

Why do you live in SF?
You could move to SLC or Denver and bank that shit.

Actually, don't move to Denver, calicucks are fucking this state up.
>>
>>62421856
I try to work remotely as much as I can. I'm chilling with some friends in the northeast right now. I go back to SF for important meetings with the founder, but those are rare.
>>
>>62413904
>Real, actually defined tasks are imaginary. Meetings are too many and too useless.
I spend most of my workday listening to neurotypicals ramble about their half-baked ideas on theoretical software and mite b cool updates, and why the newest meme framework is so rad, etc. These days I just repeatedly ask them to give me an itemized list of what exactly they need me to do, and a deadline, until they eventually go away. 95% of the time they can't produce that. I realized a long time ago that my job is mostly to listen to bored old men with money and be a sounding board for their inane thought exercises. Half the time they forget about whatever solution they wanted made anyway. A lot of software development, especially at the corporate, business-to-business level, is shit absolutely nobody needs. Some suit somewhere pitched a bogus idea to make some workflow 0.001% more efficient and managed to get a $500,000+ budget granted for it.
>>
>>62409937
I know most of this thread is sperging out but that looks pretty comfy desu
>>
>>62409966
>not arriving at work at 11:45am
Fucking loser get a proper job.
>>
>>62413904
>wake up at 9:30am
>arrive at work at 10:33
>all coleagues are already here
>don't give a shit.png
>lunch for an hour
>every 30 minutes I go for a walk which takes me like 15 minutes
>manager leaves at 18:30
>immediatelly after him fuck the 8 hours working day
>visiting 4chan and other shit forums most of the day
>actual work takes me 1-2 hours a day
>still waiting for being fired
>tfw they promote me
Seriously why do you hate big corps?
>>
>>62413904
>I've heard things are worse in corporations
Not here. Pretty chill desu.
Thread posts: 157
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.