[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows Gaming on Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1466738683479.png (86KB, 573x460px) Image search: [Google]
1466738683479.png
86KB, 573x460px
Has anyone here done the GPU passthrough for linux?

The goal being to be able to play video games on a windows 10 virtual machine but use a linux distro as your OS?

I would really much prefer linux as my operating system but I can't stand to give up gaming.

Is the GPU passthrough legit? What kind of performance hit do you take?
>>
>>62376084
>Is the GPU passthrough legit?
Yes.

>What kind of performance hit do you take?
Unless you're completely autistic or have fairly outdated hardware, you'll probably not even notice it.
>>
how does this gpu passthrough meme I keep hearing about work

if it does what the meme says it does, why is it not just a built in feature to the vm software?
>>
>>62376632
>probably
what did he mean by this
>>
>>62376084
it is not a meme
it works
only problem you will have is shit audio
the sound becomes choppy, you will hear popping sounds etc even if you turn on msi or not in both case same will happen
not to mention if you want to use mic for your gaves you are totally fucked
only acceptable solution for me was to set up a ts3 server on host with opus music codec then connect both host and guest to this ts3 server, while on the guest os I used virtual audio cable. One cable for audio input one cable for audio output and set the input to output and the input to output in ts3
Or you can buy an usb headset and pci passtrough an usb root hub to the guest, passing the usb headset will cause same shit audio quality or you can buy a bluetooth adapter and a bluetooth stereo headset or a separate audio card which will be a lottery to get into the right iommu group
>>
I did it, I use it daily. I have noticed 0 performance decrease in GPU but CPU under performs. This will cause lag in CPU heavy games like overwatch if you're using other programs at the same time in windows.

Idk what the fuck >>62376869 is on about. I've never has an issue with audio at all, input or output. Iommu groups though can cause problems, he's right about that.

I highly recommend windows ltsb for it. I followed https://youtu.be/dsDUtzMkxFk this video to set it up. It was more or less painless. Read the forum post in the description too because it has a couple updates that can literally save you recompiling the kernel because of aforementioned iommu probs.

Questions welcome <3
>>
>>62376661
It is beyond the grasp of a portable vm program like virtualbox because it uses a whole kernel module to hold on to your PCI devices until virtio asks for them. KVMs and PCI passthrough are less portable.
>>
>>62376931
You had working audio and microphone out of the box? What distro were you using?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.