[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>coding in vim Fucking tryhard nerds. Why do you guys always

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 7

File: vi-vim-cheat-sheet.gif (155KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
vi-vim-cheat-sheet.gif
155KB, 1024x724px
>coding in vim

Fucking tryhard nerds. Why do you guys always feel the need to make things harder on yourselves for no reason? Just use a normal text editor like real programmers. Stop being edgy.
>>
Show me where on the doll Vim touched you while you were K0d1ng, son.
>>
>>62373730
Vim is easier.

Editing text is easier in vim than a plain text editor like nano because I have to press fewer keys to perform the same edits. To delete four lines, I can simply press 4dd How do I do that in nano or notepad.exe?

Vim is also easier than an IDE. IDEs shove a bunch of buttons and menus in your face. All the useful features that IDEs have, like auto-completion, exist in Vim as plugins. Plugins you only install if you need, and which don't clutter up your screen with complicated GUIs.

If you want to use something other than vim, that's fine with me. What you use doesn't bother me. Why are you bothered by what I use?
>>
its just a specialized tool some swear by. Why are you so butthurt op??
>>
Low effort troll.

Have fun with your "normal text editor" when you have to work in a terminal on remote boxes multiple times a day.

What should you do first? Install 100MB worth of dependencies or set up X11 forwarding? My nipples are so erect with anticipation.
>>
>>62374426
how often do you have to delete 4 lines that you wouldn't just use an IDE? Also the guis can be useful in some cases, although i agree they can be cluttered. Programming in visual studio is like trying to use my grandmas computer where all the icons are the size of my fist and nothing has ever been closed
>>
>>62374682
clearly you have no idea what vim can do and have no interest in learning so fuck off
>>
>>62374426
>simply press 4dd How do I do that in nano or notepad.exe?
wow vim is really efficient at deleting code. too bad it's so clunky for writing it

>>62374508
what's point of running instance of editor on remote server and sending screen view every time vim redraw a screen? why not copying whole remote file into local temp file and sending changes on save?
>>
>>62373730
I don't use most of that. It took around a day to get used to all the stuff I needed to be more productive than using sublime or something similar.
>>
>>62374740

Sure, go ahead. Are you going to do that with FTP? SCP? rsync? Some plugin? Does your text editor support that? Time to Google. Oh, and configure. Oh, and make sure your server supports that. It doesn't? Oh well, time to make sure that the appropriate daemon is running. Crap, permissions aren't set for your user. Better chown or chmod them. Okay, that's done. Shit, your computer crashed. Good thing you had those changes backed up. Your local changes and your remote ones are out of sync now. Hope someone didn't edit things remotely while you were booting back up.
>>
Question for vim users: How often do you use vim's screen splitting? I've seen people using tmux instead, sounds like it's redundant.
>>
>>62374882
I use both. Vim screen splitting is useful if you want a shared copy/paste buffer that interacts with vim's macros / commands. If instead you're comfortable:

a) using tmux's built in emacs-style keybindings and copy-paste mode
or
b) customizing tmux to have vi keybindings and using its copy-paste mode

...and you don't care about vim's commands or macro system, then perhaps there isn't a need for vi splits. Up to you.

I prefer the power of knowing and using both.
>>
>>62373730
>coding in vim
>coding

Bazinga yourself, normoid.
>>
>>62374801
>what are shared network folders

Jesus, anon, I'm all for vim, but its no where near that hard to sync code you're working on to a remote server, you could also just use a git repo.
>>
>>62374801
>Are you going to do that with FTP? SCP? rsync? Some plugin? Does your text editor support that?
via abstraction layer over remote access protocols, my editor supports it out of box
>your server supports
it does and requires no configuration
>appropriate daemon is running
no daemons beside that for remote access (ssh mostly)
>permissions aren't set for your user
you mean using sudo? surely you wouldn't be able to r/w it with vim neither anyway
>chown or chmod them
something is telling me when you have permissons to chown and chmod, you also have permissions to rw that file
> your computer crashed
how often that happens? good I have local backup files then
>local changes and your remote ones are out of sync now
by one save, how often do you save files? once per day? no
>hope someone didn't edit things remotely while you were booting back up
how would vim on remote solve this? my editor has a way to deal with edits on opened file
>>
Vim/emacs shits are not "programmers". they are hippies first and wannabe CS turds second. they're that loser that takes 100 level courses for 6 years so they can offhandedly mention they use a "real" 80s lang.

>Why you guys always feel the need to make things harder on yourselves for no reason?
Reason is there and it's what happens when you have extra human baggage living on free welfare. They have way too much time yet know they can never really make it in the private sector so they spend decades trying to out-tryhard each other. Vim/emacs is just temporary conversational quantum window dressing, if you were to somehow prove to them that you are better at it, they would immediately pretend to have not used it at all and then make up some even stupdier shit like "oh real programmers use a text ed with no features at all now". It's all just a loser game they play to keep the suicide thoughts at bay.
>>
>>62374946
How is it with vim copy/pasting outside that vim window?
>>
>>62375194
Not great.
>>
>>62375127
Good for you, anon.

What do you do when you want to read command output into your editor?
How about editing files that match a given pattern?
Macro recording and repeating?

All of these things require messing with a GUI. In the first case, your only option is literally piping to a file which you then go find in your file tree, open up, select, copy, and paste.

In vim it's just:
:r!command

Vim is faster for so many things, if you learn it. If you don't want to learn it, that's fine. You'll just be less efficient.
>>
>>62375353
Can open stdin as source or run shell command and open new buffer from its stdout.
Has macros.
>>
>>62375194
>>62375247

I should expand on this: In this case, depending on where you're wanting to paste, you'll fill the appropriate buffer.

vim's for vim.
tmux for tmux.
select/copy/paste in your wm for your wm.
>>
>use emacs
>everything just werkz

feel bad for vim shitters to be honest
>>
>>62375438
>>62375453

emacs gtfo go play fucking dunnet
>>
>>62375438
If Sublime / Atom / VS Code can do this over SSH I'd be legitimately impressed.
>>
I used vim exclusively up until my 3rd year of CS since nobody told me IDEs were a thing. It's objectively shittier in most aspects, there's no solution tree, package suggestions or autocorrect and I can't imagine how anyone can use it for large projects without being horribly inefficient
>>
File: 2017-09-11-221439_734x642_scrot.png (26KB, 734x642px) Image search: [Google]
2017-09-11-221439_734x642_scrot.png
26KB, 734x642px
>>62375463
ok now what
>>
>>62375491
>solution tree
you have UNIX, who cares?
> package suggestions
packages for what?
> autocorrect
>> autocorrect
>>> autocorrect
>>>> autocorrect
>>
>>62373730
>>62375502
I want a pretty emacs infograph
>>
>>62375502
use the shovel, man
>>
>>62375502
go e

that game is the tits
>>
>>62373730
>doesn't use vim for on the fly editing on a remote HPC
I'm sorry that your job/career doesn't require you to use command line editor
>>
>>62374740
>Not realizing 4dd was an example
Are you being obtuse on purpose?
>>
>>62375453
>everything just werkz
Yeah after you install a shit ton of extensions (or whatever the fuck they call them) and tweak your configuration file. This all takes a few days. Just werkz, man.
>>
>>62375600
Don't forget learning a special Lisp. Easy peasy.
>>
>>62375491
Yeah this. Good luck working on million-line code bases with a shitty little text editor and plugins that are inferior in every way to their IDE counterparts.
>>
>>62375600
>>62375614
If you spend all day inside a text editor, why wouldn't you tune it exactly the way you like?
>>
>>62375513

I don't know the Java/C# libraries by heart, and I like knowing that my code is buggy before I compile it. Who knows tho, maybe that's a crutch that experienced programmers don't even need
>>
>>62375632
>million-line code bases

Sounds like the kind of code I'd want to work in.
>>
>>62374882
Screen splitting? Every single time I use it
>>
>>62375177
Wow, you really need a gf or something man. Your life sucks.
>>
>>62375532
>using stupid example
>blamimg objections for not understanding th example
Vim is really good at deleting stuff, I mean it. But swapping between insert and normal mode is annoying and required befause of things like no eol wrapping and lack of cursor movement.
>>
>>62375637

Oh man, no, don't get me wrong. If you're writing Java or C#, by all means use IntelliJ / VS. Dynamic recompilation is a boon when you can get it.

But if you're scripting or writing in a language that doesn't have a mature IDE specifically built for it, then it's good to know vim or emacs.
>>
File: Gorilla-Funny-Flip-Off-Picture.jpg (75KB, 550x600px) Image search: [Google]
Gorilla-Funny-Flip-Off-Picture.jpg
75KB, 550x600px
>>62375680
Y-you too.
>>
So no one has mentioned the extremely lightweight, no-config beauty of Vim?

Lemme tell you about my vim set up. 10 lines of .vimrc and that's it. Any server, any fresh install, any slow machine is an instantly efficient development machine. I appreciate that about Vim.

Low config, low resources. And of course the macros and three-mode editing is obviously superior (but admitedly people really dont want that to be true and fight you if you say it).
>>
>>62375690
>swapping insert and normal is annoying
>the core compotency of Vim is annoying

It's fucking essential dude. You need to be spending as little time in Insert as possible. Push yourself to stay in normal. Use visual mode to copy past.

Also. Keybind jk to esc. Insert to normal that way
>>
>>62375747
post those 10 lines please
>>
>>62375690
You can bind the escape key to something closer to the home row of it's that bad.
>Cursor movement
one of the good things about vim is the moment, like any tool you just need to learn how to use it. You can set eol wrapping in the config as well, I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>62375778
>keybind jk to Esc
What? How am I going to insert jk characters then?
>>
>>62375747
>>62375778

Hello fellow vim user. Fancy seeing you here, edumacating the plebian riff-raff. I'll be over here managing a dying OpenStack tenant and crying tears of insomnia. Enjoy the trolls!
>>
>>62374682
>>62374740
>wow vim is really efficient at deleting code
>how often do you have to delete 4 lines
Vim isn't just better at deleting for lines of code. Vim is better at every conceivable text editing operation. Adding characters, removing characters, searching, transforming, etc. You name it, vim is better at it.

>how often do you edit code
Very often. Nearly every day of the week, for many hours each day. A text editor that makes editing code efficient is important to me.
>>
>>62375778
How the fuck do you type "jk"?
>>
File: vim.png (58KB, 1668x999px) Image search: [Google]
vim.png
58KB, 1668x999px
>>62375789
filetype off
syntax off # syntax highlighting? I aint bitch made
filetype plugin indent on

imap jk <esc> # escape insert mode. You can remap kj, Jk, Kj, and other combinations without issue
vmap ht <esc> # escape visual mode

# use control + normal mode nav keys to navigate between horiz and vert splits
noremap <C-H> <C-W>h<C-W>_
noremap <C-L> <C-W>l<C-W>_
noremap <C-J> <C-W>j<C-W>_
noremap <C-K> <C-W>k<C-W>_

# two spaces for tab
set tabstop=2
set shiftwidth=2
set expandtab

set hlsearch

set smarttab
set number # line numbers

set t_Co=0 # no colours at all
set backspace=indent,eol,start # allows gvim to work properly

set shell=/bin/bash\ -i # so that my bashrc is loaded if I execute commands

set ruler

hi LineNr term=NONE

cd ~/repos/your-work-repo
>>
>>62375824
>>62375926
can you think of an english word that uses jk in succession?
>>
>>62375930
set autochdir
> two spaces for tab
>:[
>>
>>62375690
>But swapping between insert and normal mode is annoying
Going into insert mode is only a single keypress. Leaving insert mode is only a single key press. The number of keypresses I save by using vim far exceeds the additional keypresses I need to switch modes.

>annoying
Muscle memory. I don't even think about it. It's like driving a car. Is using your blinkers every time you turn annoying? No, you do it without even thinking about it. Muscle memory.
>>
what is the problem about that? Vim is great for small projects and web shits. If you are used to that you can be much more productive. You can even auto complete and stuff with the right plugins. If you are not confortable with the commands and want to feel like you are using an ide you can use nerdtree or whatever.
If your language is not some bloated shit vim works great... I would never use visual studio for c/c++ since my vim config works flawless for that and I'm multiple times more productive.
>>
>>62375926
If you absolutely have to type 'jk' then you can do one character at a time for that *one* time that you have to do it in your fucking life.
>>
>>62375852
you sound like a wizard. please tell me you're getting paid equiv of 50+ USD/hr.
>>
>>62374882
>Question for vim users: How often do you use vim's screen splitting?
Almost constantly.

>I've seen people using tmux instead, sounds like it's redundant.
Separate vim instances in tmux windows is inconvenient, since each vim instance won't have access to the other buffers.

And tbqh, NeoVim's :term makes tmux a bit redundant. Not entirely redundant, I still use tmux on remote machines, but not locally anymore.
>>
>>62375947
I feel like sometimes using a full IDE is better, but I've never run into it, and I definitely prefer to reserve my system resources for my web browser or build processes
>>
>>62375778
I prefer mapping my caps lock to another esc. Who uses that anyway?
>>
Visual Studio > vim

by the time you've finished typing your esoteric vim command to do some basic shit, I've deployed an entire auto scaling web app and database into Azure
>>
>>62375953
Roughly 50/hr, living in a cheap state

Not a bad life except for the days that I hate it.
>>
>>62375194
>>How is it with vim copy/pasting outside that vim window?
just werks with neovim.
>>
>>62375974
>by the time you've done something actually useful, I've made some webshit
Woopdefuckingdoo
>>
>>62375970
> NeoVim's :term

I might switch to this. Is this buggy at times?
>>
I dream about the day I'll use vim efortlessly. Shame I can't find the time to go through vimtutor
>>
>>62375997
Not him, but I've not run into it being buggy. Granted, I don't use :term daily but even so I've not noticed issues
>>
>>62375997
Not him but to go along with this, does neovim's :term have any benefit over emacs's term-mode?
>>
>>62375824
You almost never need to do that. And if you do, you just pause a moment before pressing k.

I don't use that keybinding though. I have my capslock key bound to escape.
>>
>>62376011
Not needing to be an octopus to use it, for starters
>>
>>62375972
Guys at work got me to map it to Ctrl. Omg the time savings.

With vim-tmux-navigator, you can use the vim ctrl+[hjkl] to move between tmux panes and vim splits seamlessly without leaving the home row (QWERTY)
>>
>>62376018
$ cat ~/.tmux.conf
bind k selectp -U
bind j selectp -D
bind h selectp -L
bind l selectp -R
>>
>>62375930
Nigger that's 21 lines.

You should also at least add:
set hidden
set wildmenu
set incsearch

The fact that hidden isn't set by default is probably vim's greatest bug.
>>
File: 1406553436313.jpg (28KB, 380x250px) Image search: [Google]
1406553436313.jpg
28KB, 380x250px
>>62376017
hahaha real fucking funny, buddy
>>
>>62375997
>>I might switch to this. Is this buggy at times?
No, rock solid. I switched a few months ago and have never had any trouble at all. It was a drop-in replacement too, I didn't need to fuck with my vimrc or plugins at all.
>>
>>62376011
>does neovim's :term have any benefit over emacs's term-mode?
Probably not. I use [neo]vim but emacs is a big-boy editor too. I assume it's term-mode is competently implemented.
>>
>>62376051
Thank. I used emacs for the first time in my clover OS VM a few days ago. I was worried I was going to break something, but I was able to edit text just fine. It didn't really seem like anything special, just a more extensible notepad
>>
>>62375971
I prefer using an IDE for larger projects or when using smth like java.
My vimrc just works for scala, c/c++ and web shits though. I don't think I need a full featured ide if I can build, debug or test with few cli commands.
>>
>>62375992
>>62375194

There is a global buffer in tmux that you can use (I think you need to use it in conjunction with the mouse mode, but not sure).

Also there is this... https://github.com/roxma/vim-tmux-clipboard
>>
>>62376077
Imagine you had a lisp machine as your text editor. That's emacs. Incredibly powerful system. It's just a shame it has awful modifier key heavy editing. I suppose there's always evil mode...
>>
>>62376093
Definitely. I guess I was just so used to vim, and remembering how different it was even I guess started using it, that I thought emacs would be something similar. Maybe one day I'll take a look into it
>>
>>62376116
Before I switched to neovim I was giving switching to emacs some serious consideration. I never really bit the bullet and made the switch though, and now I'm glad I didn't.
>>
>>62376033

If you want this to work with vim + tmux together, there is a modification to this you need that checks if the pane is vim or not. Otherwise you won't be able to navigate between vim splits when they are inside of a tmux pane without using a different keystroke combination.
>>
>>62376116
Emacs is worth learning. So is vi.

Turns out most Unix utilities with an interface chose one dialect or the other. Most provide an option to turn on one or the other but they're always horribly incomplete or not supported in earlier versions.

Just learn both. It takes time but it's worth it.
>>
>>62375981
amen brother
>>
>>62376093
emacs looks great but I'm dealing with my vim config and making my whole system vim centric for so long that I'm just too lazy to try it out.
>>
>>62376046
whoa, thanks anon. hidden and incsearch look very useful but I'm not sure about wildmenu
>>
>>62376142
Indeed. I love neovim, I use it constantly.
>>62376151
Soonâ„¢
>>
>>62376083
Yep you said it. But even with Java you can do something like

:au BufWritePost *.java !javac *.java && java yourfile.java

which would automatically build and run your code on save
>>
>>62373730
I've integrated vim keybinds into visual studio... maximum profit.
>>
File: wildmenu.png (38KB, 705x79px) Image search: [Google]
wildmenu.png
38KB, 705x79px
>>62376175
wildmenu gives you tab completion in ex mode, with the completion options listed on the line above your : line. For instance it works when using :e or :h
>>
>>62374801
you can cat files over ssh you idiot
>>
>>62376245
That's a pain in the ass when you could just use a real man's text editor like vim or emacs.
>>
>>62376229
I actually dont use ex mode at all. should I be?
>>
>>62376269
Sorry, I don't really mean ex-mode. I mean all the normal mode : commands. I don't know what that's technically called. Shit like :wq and whatnot. :e opens files, I use that all the time with wildmode. :h to open vim's help window, very useful with wildmode to get what you're looking for.
>>
>>62374801
>Shit, your computer crashed.
wot.

>Hope someone didn't edit things remotely
trust me they didnt mate, they're too busy not coding, and even if they did, you use git, so who fucking cares, resolve the conflict and move on.

this poster is 100% full of shit. even if he's supporting Vim which is the masterrace editor
>>
>>62376285
ahh. I honestly am not convinced that I could gain a lot from it. But thanks for pointing out that wildcard exists.
>>
>>62376293
I didn't realize your entire OS was in source control. My mistake. I guess that explains why you think you can edit and view all files over SSH as a single user.

No, I'm not full of shit. Some people in this thread are short-sighted Electron (aka Chrome with a skin) editor babies. Maybe the backup example was contrived, but good luck being a sysadmin without a command line editor. That would be an interesting life.
>>
>>62373730
Vim is not for programmers. It's for bored sysadmins.
>>
>>62376445
>tfw I use it for my software development
No true Scotsman and all that jazz
>>
File: taglist_php.gif (26KB, 914x549px) Image search: [Google]
taglist_php.gif
26KB, 914x549px
Friendly reminder that Vim has pugins like taglist for big projects.
>>
>>62376559
You mean like every editor on the planet?
>>
>>62376566
Are you mad because Vim is in par with professional programming? Why?
>>
>>62376566
Notepad and word pad don't
>Here comes the backpedaling
>>
>>62376582
Who the fuck programs in fucking wordpad?
>>
>>62376740
>Like every editor on the planet
>>
>>62376566
>troll OP claims Vim can't do a thing
>vim can do a thing
>YOU MEAN LIKE EVERY OTHER EDITOR???
kys
>>
>>62373730
Emacs is the best editor. It has GUI when you want and can work in a terminal for SSH just fine.
>>
>>62374426
This, ides like intellij and eclipse take more ram than games like street fighter 4 my poor core2duo almost crashes with them, text editors are quite good ides really get overwhelming, vim at first it is a little overwhelming too but you can gradually learn in easily and add things you need without all the clutter but on second thought you can also just use it as notepad no problem
>>
>>62375824
there's a timeout on the input like the fighting games you're used to, /v/-babby
>>
>>62375972
>Who uses the control button?
Are you acting retarded on purpose?
>>
>>62377428
He said caps lock though
>>
>>62373730
>Why do you guys always feel the need to make things harder on yourselves for no reason?

Like everything, it depends.

I have a VPS with Python scripts on it. It takes me 10 seconds to log in and edit them with vi.

Meanwhile I have used Eclipse, Visual Studio, Android Studio, XCode. I'm lucky if they load up in 10 seconds.

Getting around in vi is very simple. G goes to the end of the file. 1G goes to the beginning of the file. /whatever finds the first instance of whatever. ?whatever finds it backwards.

Things depend on the situation. In some cases an IDE is better. In some cases emacs is better. I have been using vi for decades, it is very easy for me.
>>
Its fast once you get used to it
Sure as hell beats nano
Dont have a good .emacs rn
>>
>>62375491
>>62375632

Major ides all have vim plugins, so you can still benefit from learning vim commands while using modern software. That's why vim is still relevant.
>>
>>62375747
>tfw 168 sloc vimrc
>>
>>62373730
Vim is extremely easy for programmers, anon. Have you talked to a professional about your IQ? If you feel life is frustrating, you might feel some relief in the knowledge that you're actually just average; and might want to pick up a profession where average people can succeed.
>>
>>62375791
ctrl + [ is what I use. It's actually quite comfy.
>>
>>62375939
Poor Dijkstra...
>>
Emacs is better, although I'd want a full IDE for non scripting languages
>>
>>62377416
>doing 100wpm
>need to wait a second to type certain character combination
>>
>>62378488
>jk together like that is so common in the English language that it'll affect your typing speed more than once, ever
>>
Emacsfags what do you think of evil mode vs god mode?
>>
>>62378533
it's very common in my language
>>
>>62378580
modal editing sucks and god mode doesn't really have a keystroke or make keybindings more elegant
>>
What's a good autocomplete plugin for vim?
>>
>>62378587
So use a combination that isn't common
>inb4 but then when I type in English it is common
Then if thats the case that trick isn't for you. But it's not going to hinder anyone's tying speed in English speaking countries
>>
Linux really needs a CUA standard.
>>
>>62374426
>To delete four lines, I can simply press 4dd
Ctrl+yyyy in IntelliJ.
>>
>>62378973
And if you need to do 8, is that Ctrl+yyyyyyyy?

In Vim it would just be 8dd
>>
>>62378973
and 99 lines?
>>
>>62379036
I get what you're saying, I use vimperator on my FF. I just wanted to point out that if you learn your IDE's shortcuts, especially with powerful configuration options as powerful as with IntelliJ, your efficiency can be indistinguishable from what it would be if you learned vim.
If those 8 lines represented a syntactical unit, like a code block, you could mash Ctrl+W until you got it selected and then delete. There's some good shit in there like live templates, which you can use to create macros around your selection like inserting an if not null statement, and so on.
Obviously, as there's only one mode, you can't have quantifiers to your commands, a feature where vim wins out.
>>
Ctrl+yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

(I typed this in vim as 99iy
>>
>>62374426
Do you think vim is the only text editor?
nano/notepad is as barebones as possible, I get that, but there is so many editors now.
Take the default editor on kde, kate.
It has syntax highligting, autocomplete, block editing, snippets, scripting support, plugin support, etc and it requires no training to do any of these things as all these things are on by default.

Take something as simple as having a file updated in the background.
The default is to destroy the project and just overwrite the file with the vim buffer.
Where kate 1. warns you there is two files, 2 gives you options to use buffer, use original or view the diff.
>>
>>62379174
Of course Vim isn't the only text editor. It is one of two text editors for adults, the other is emacs.

Kate/Notepad++/etc are good for beginners who are just learning to program and don't need to learn a powerful text editor at the same time. But once you've made a career out of programming, learning a more powerful tool for editing text is a wise investment.
>>
>>62379190
What makes you think kate is not in the same tier as emacs and vim?
Is there a feature or way of doing things that keeps it back?
Because the only feature I miss is the :r feature from vim and I can just use xclip for that.
>>
>>62379221
How do you delete 4 lines (or 99: >>62379056 ) in Kate? It's been years since I last looked at it, but as I recall it's little more than a notepad++ clone. basically notepad.exe style editing with more colors, autoformatting, and a built-in konsole.
>>
>>62379335
ctrl+shift+V 4dd ctrl+shift+V
>>
>>62379348
Better than expected, but pretty gross. I'm sure they aren't, but they should use an embedded neovim instance to handle the editing. Neovim supports being embedded in GUI apps using msgpack-rpc. That would be a perfect application of it.
>>
>>62379375
the ctrl+shift+V changes in/out of vim mode.
You could also just press ctrl+k a number of times or even better, shift+navigate to highlight the part I don't want and then delete.
>>
>>62378643
pls
>>
>>62379335
you launch vim and forget all about kate.
>>
>>62379375
I think kate is a better engine than neovim.
kate can also be used as a plugin, kile and kdevelop are two projects that use kate to build something more.
I use all three and they are all great (I actually don't like kdevelop yet, but it is better than other ide's because it uses kate).
>>
>>62374426
Vim has had autocompletion natively for years, stop using garbage plugins like youcompleteme.
>>
>>62379567
>natively
What?
>>
>>62379580
:h ins-completion

>>62379567
> stop using garbage plugins like youcompleteme.
I don't use youcompleteme...

I use supertab which is a glorified binding for vim's buildin completion, and vrod which throws racket's documentation into vim making it accessible through vim's completion and help system.
>>
>>62379696
why is it 99% of vim features require you to recompile it?
>>
>>62379783
I've never heard of a distribution of vim not having completion by default... Did you install some sort of "vim-minimum" package or something?
>>
>>62379696
Supertab is great, thanks anon.
>>
>>62379842
I always install the vim-nox because the other one pulls in xorg and then any advantage with vim is gone.
>>
>>62379883
INSTALL GENTOO
>>
>>62379696
Never heard of supertab, I guess I'll try it out. I've always used Ctrl+N and Ctrl+P in insert mode for autocompletion, it works quite well for me.
>>
out of curiosity, is it possible to have vim load up certain plugins depending on how you start it? Something like having it set up so autocomplete extension loads when you want to write software, and doesn't when you just want to write text?
>>
>>62380005
Just use vim-plug, it has lazy loading.
>>
>>62380015
neat, thanks
>>
>>62380005
Most plugins lazy load themselves these days using the autoload functionality.

But to answer your question more directly, vim can detect filetypes allowing you to set different configuration for different sorts of files.
:h filetype
>>
Look, they taught it to me in collage and now it has all my keymaps in it.

/thread
>>
>>62378488
Thats your fault for typing too fast lol
>>
>>62374508
Use sshfs
>>
>>62377443
please read
>>
>>62377428
I said caps lock. Learn how to read replies newfag
>>
>>62374882
never. I use tmux with vi bindings
Thread posts: 163
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.