[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got my first shitty help desk job. This is a pretty big

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: work_quints.jpg (3MB, 3480x4640px) Image search: [Google]
work_quints.jpg
3MB, 3480x4640px
I just got my first shitty help desk job. This is a pretty big step up for me as it pays 50% more than my current job and gives me an actual foothold in the tech industry. I start in 2 weeks. What can I expect?
>>
>>62369323
being everyone bitch
>>
Having to explain even the simplest things to people while on the inside wanting to kill them
>>
>>62369381
Pretty much this. But channel it and use it as a learning experience in humility. It'll also teach you how the average user thinks. hint: he/she doesn't
>>
File: sad cat.jpg (58KB, 960x724px) Image search: [Google]
sad cat.jpg
58KB, 960x724px
>everything works fine, why do we even pay you?
>nothing works, why do we even pay you?
>>
>>62369323
inhouse or support for customers?

the appearance of godlike genius and ability to destroy all lesser beings in the place if former. Hell if latter.
>>
>>62369437
>>62369381
So it's basically just more dealing with idiots all day except now I get to do it over the phone while sitting down but for more money?
>>
>>62369323
>and gives me an actual foothold in the tech industry
no
>>
>>62369711
It's at least semi relevant experience isn't it? At least closer to it than working in a warehouse?
>>
>>62369323
>Wellensiek
Bielefeld?
>>
File: sharpdressedman.gif (26KB, 220x301px) Image search: [Google]
sharpdressedman.gif
26KB, 220x301px
>>62369323
Expect to hate everyone you work with
And you'll also learn to hate people in the south if you get calls from them
>>
>>62369763
sure. but where exactly do you want to land in the tech world?
>>
>>62369711
Yeah it does
It's actually great experience in the tech field
>>
>>62369682
Yup. Kinda sums up the whole working experience, to be honest. Doesn't really matter the position or industry you're in.
>>
>>62369843
it might look slightly better than working in a warehouse but no one will hire you for a real tech job from experience in help desk.
>>
>>62370004
This

If you're doing it because you think it will lead to a better job in the tech industry then forget about it.

I worked for 2 years at Apple support and climbed the ladder until I got to a Mac+ senior advisor position. I wasn't really fixing computers as much as I was "fixing people" most of the time and all I got to show for it is knowing exactly how Apple works, knowing the ins and outs of iOS and MacOS and how to manipulate people into thinking that everything is fine.

So yeah, you'll learn a few things for sure but don't expect it to help you get any tech related jobs
>>
>>62370194
Well I'm not expecting to go directly from this shit to a real tech job. I'm not exactly sure what I need to do for that but I'm pretty sure it involves some schooling and/or certifications. How else do people get into tech?
>>
>>62370447
depends on where you want to go anon. any idea?
>>
>>62369711
/thread
>>
>>62370489
I would like to work my way up and end up working for geek squad
>>
>>62370745
is this really OP??

if so, i guess you're in the right place. i wouldn't call that a "real tech job" though.
>>
>>62370489
I wish I had any idea desu. I'm have pretty much no real direction. Being a sysadmin sounds like it might be nice. Ideally I'd just work somewhere where I get to sit in an air conditioned room by myself and make sure shit stays in order. I don't know if that's a real job or not.
>>
Most customers are angry as shit and only some have a reason to be angry. You'll learn to hate tech illiterate people and other hicks.
>>
>>62369323
It's pretty comfy actually when no one calls
>>
>>62370447
By gradually leveling up.
Get some industry recognized certificates such as CompTIA A+, Network+ or CCNA. They're not hard to get unless you're retarded. Then find a job in a smaller or midsize company and try to get some experience in system and network administration. From there it really depends what you want to do. You can specialize in networking, security or move towards software development. Whatever tickles your fancy
>>
>>62369323
Never call it a computer EVER. Always instrument. Trust me, this is very important and will reduce your workload exponentially.
>>
>>62371522
Thanks anon that's pretty much what I had gathered from what people have been saying. What positions would I apply for with my certifications though?
>>62371750
Why does this make a difference? Is it just to confuse people?
>>
File: confus grill is confus.png (145KB, 702x397px) Image search: [Google]
confus grill is confus.png
145KB, 702x397px
How long should you spend in a general IT support job before moving into a job where you don't have to speak to people? My job is better than the password resets and >le switch it off and on again of IT helpdesks, but I still have to answer phones from customers and update DNS records, reboot servers and change VM resource allocation. How long before I can move on?
>>
>>62371876
1 - 1.5 years
>>
File: 1505154595557.jpg (13KB, 234x250px) Image search: [Google]
1505154595557.jpg
13KB, 234x250px
>>62369456
>>
>>62371800
You'd apply for entry-level positions pretty much.

Stuff like being the IT guy who fixes computers, installs adobe reader and makes sure nobody is playing around on facebook during work hours.
>>
>>62371953
Sounds pretty ideal desu. Where do you find listings for jobs like that though? I was thinking about getting my A+ now and skipping the help desk part but I couldn't find more than one or two jobs like that that showed up and disappeared. I figured it must be the kind of thing where you have to know a guy to get in or something.
>>
>>62372183
Like you'd find any other job? Job listings aren't the only way of finding a job.

I'm currently employed at a plastic injection molding company doing menial tasks like cleaning up computers and fixing the ones that break. I got that job by actually going to them, handing them my CV and asking if they needed someone to look after their computers. They did.
>>
>what should i expect
4 days a week of total boredom teaching people how to do their jobs, with 1 day of "why did I even get out of bed"
And everyone treats you nicely.

Overall not bad, can be one of the more stressful spots though depending on your company's IT structure. Like mine where my job title says "help desk" despite being a network and server admin too.
>>
A really shitty job that you'll immediately want to move to another job the moment you have a chance.
>>
I have my Cisco certified network engineer beginner few months back, is applying for help desks a waste of time. Should I look around for maybe a school system administrator job.
>>
>>62369817
>hate people from the south

Why?
>>
>>62373190

Help Desk is fine but you can skip it by working tech support in a call center. If the thought of having to deal with a fixed set of users that you're always around is bothersome, then working tech support with a dynamic set of complainers offers the whole "Eh yeah that guy was a dick but he lives in some other state and I'll never have to interact with them ever again."

Cut your teeth and learn your bedside manner there and you can easily step into a jr sysadmin position in a year or so. Even better if you get a certification while you're in the call center.

That said, call centers do have a slew of other issues that you should prepare for
>>
>>62373223
They are notoriously the worst with computers.
>>
>>62373496
Maybe I'm doing this shit wrong. Typically help desk and call center involves password unlocks, resets, customer service/communication skills and other basic things to troubleshoot and/or escalate.

You're saying this actually is valuable for junior sysadmins?
>>
me: please open a web browser
it: what's that? i have a mac

x1000
>>
>>62369839
On the next platform. Probably low-level IT or sysadmin assistant. He's climbing the ladder VERY SLOWLY.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.