[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/wdg/ - Web Development General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 38

File: 1503593928382.png (251KB, 824x553px) Image search: [Google]
1503593928382.png
251KB, 824x553px
>Previous Thread
>>62323269

>Getting started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
MDN web docs offer a good intro (independent of your browser choice)
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn

>Free online courses
https://www.codecademy.com/
https://www.freecodecamp.com/
https://www.bento.io/

>Roadmap
https://github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Resources
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
https://stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other
https://caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

>Youtube channels
https://www.youtube.com/user/TechGuyWeb - Traversy Media
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8butISFwT-Wl7EV0hUK0BQ - freeCodeCamp
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO1cgjhGzsSYb1rsB4bFe4Q - funfunfunction
https://www.youtube.com/derekbanas

>in-depth comparison of VPS hosts
https://www.webstack.de/blog/e/cloud-hosting-provider-comparison-2017/
>>
File: grids.png (14KB, 745x220px) Image search: [Google]
grids.png
14KB, 745x220px
Mods are asleep, post Github grids
>>
is there a way for me to earn $500-$1000 per month freelancing?
im from Russia so it is absolutely enough for me
where is it best to find some work?
my skill-set is HTML/CSS/JS + node js + react and redux, also created some basic apps using meteor js and quite good at Adobe PS and Sketch
>>
So i have a mobile nav menu i made for a site. When i open it I have take it up the entire screen. I gave it a fixed position and left right top bottom 0. Also i used jquery to add a class to the body to set set overflow:hidden to stop scrolling. My only problem is on mobile the bar where you type in the url shows up when you swipe down, thwn if you swipe up it disappears revealing part of the site for a second. Is there something I can add in css to prevent this?
>>
>>62366822
I could use a freenom/2nd level domain, 000webhost, and cloudflare, but it just won't be the same thing. It would probably be sufficient though. Is there anything like https://github.com/lmatteis/torrent-net in pure JS, or will I need to hack together my own implementation?
>>
File: ee.png (11KB, 755x209px) Image search: [Google]
ee.png
11KB, 755x209px
>>62366905
I moved to self hosted gitlab recently tho
>>
>>62367050
You could go through a freelance site like fiver or odesk, or you could try to network with people who need dev work. Participate in online communities and make friends. Don't try to sell your services at first. Just participate and be friendly. If people ask, tell them you do freelance web dev, and if they like you, they'll hire you for some work or refer you to people who will.

Freelancing is honestly more about personality than skill when you're starting out and unproven. Make sure you have a website you can point people to. It doesn't have to be fancy. Just something that has your contact info and a bit about what you do.
>>
File: danguu.jpg (77KB, 712x401px) Image search: [Google]
danguu.jpg
77KB, 712x401px
I want a job. Which one should I learn?
React looks like the best for my situation as it is easy to learn and has a future, but I hate its license and my freetarded sperg self puts me off.
Angular is MIT License so it is free as in freedom, and also have tons of jobs. However it looks hard and requires TypeScript.
Vue is ideal but no jobs for it.

What would you choose? I am in the process of learning node.js and already know the beyond-basics of html css and js.
>>
Is it hard to make a wordpress theme from scratch?
>>
>>62367468
is your nav menu long enough that scrolling is necessary? Or would the user scroll in the nav menu for some other reason?

>revealing part of the site for a second
hm you could have a background div that extends 200% of height and width or something like that

>>62367588
For jobs it's probably
Angular > React >> Vue

For fun and hobby projects it's probably the exact opposite, though I haven't used Angular really.
I like Vue.
>>
File: file.png (2KB, 775x260px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2KB, 775x260px
>>62366905
neet registered recently but here

i do stuff when i feel like it and think forcing myself to do it every day would be worse for productivity

taking it easy = recharging for some other day
>>
>>62367653
Another thing about Angular is the variety of versions. There are Angular 2 and 4 which are basically the same, and then there is AngularJS which is the oldest and uses Javascript instead of TypeScript. Deciding which one to learn...
>>
File: 611.jpg (51KB, 640x718px) Image search: [Google]
611.jpg
51KB, 640x718px
>>62367748
>angular meme
go with react
>>
>>62367748
I see lots of jobs with AngularJS, but who knows how long before those get replaced with 2/4.
>>
>>62367588
>but I hate its license and my freetarded sperg self puts me off
https://medium.com/@dwalsh.sdlr/react-facebook-and-the-revokable-patent-license-why-its-a-paper-25c40c50b562
https://medium.com/@ji/the-react-license-for-founders-and-ctos-b38d2538f3e5
I'm about to release a GPLv3-licensed software that uses React in a couple of days. this is as freetarded as it gets

>However it looks hard and requires TypeScript.
the fact that it requires TypeScript is a plus
>>
>>62367050
What worked for me was

>Be somewhat active in the local creative community
>Make a stylist website to point people to
>Site doesn't have to be amazing just clean enough to get people's attention
>modern/minimalist landing page + contact page should be enough
>hand out stylish cards

You will almost certainly get calls. I make like 1.5k/mth extra by handing out cards to people from my college.
>>
>>62367828
>Using anything but MEAN

<---------- 2013 is that way
>>
There's not enough jQuery.
>>
>>62368047
I'm getting 2006 rails flashbacks. we get it, you know only one stack
>>
Is Python backend kinda dead? All I see is PHP/js/Go these days
>>
>>62368196
>you only know one stack
I stacked your mom last night, so that's at least 2.

Seriously though, I came from a Django-based stack. After learning MEAN, it's just become really difficult for me to say that it isn't the best option for like 70% of modern day SPAs.
>>
I had a PHP test today at pajeet college. 20 minutes actually writting code, 40 minutes debugging. Fuck PHP so much
>>
>>62368258
Django will teach you good practices. If you learn it first, the skills will transfer pretty easily to a lot of backend technologies.

As far as it being dead, instagram, pinterest (technically is flask now, but still python), and even the MDN were built on Django.

Everything is moving towards node because it's easier for one person (new devs specifically) to learn an entire stack while being very strong in a single language rather than try to boil the ocean learning two.
>>
Looking for a gig in Ontario. I have a university degree in CS and 2 years experience working full stack. Anyone hiring?
>>
>>62368548
>2 years experience working full stack

Why not you hire yourself? I made like 3 blogs and make easy money off affiliate marketing.
>>
>>62368576
Where do you get the content tho?
>>
>>62368608
>Where do you get the content

I just write about shit that interests me that day. If you're feeling lazy, you could just title an article something clickbaity, throw a ton of keywords on it and release it concurrently with some event you know is coming.

>For example

The new iphone is being announced tomorrow. You could write an article like "10 things that the iphone got right this year" or something in 35 minutes, slap some adds on the bottom and call it a day.

A well timed release will net you a good number of clicks almost guaranteed.
>>
How hard is it to make an android app? One of the professors at my university mentioned he would like an app to keep track of graduates so the university can get some feedback. Right now very few students visit the website and answer the survey for graduates. As for how to make them actually use the app, he mentioned something like once they update their info they can use use the same app to get some discounts at stores which you can already do with the graduate credential. No idea how that last part would make sense, but that's the bland idea we have right now.

I have almost no programming experience, the only thing I learned at university was in a lame visual basic class (honestly I already forgot everything). How would I go about this? Java? Html5? How much time do you think a project like this would take me?
I can spend about 8 hours a day learning whatever I might need. I know there's lots of factors in this but please give me an estimation so I can decide on the viability of taking the project.
>>
File: whores for motivation1.jpg (154KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
whores for motivation1.jpg
154KB, 576x1024px
well /wdg/ i had my interview today and they said they'd be calling me in a week or two for a possible 2nd interview.

They primarily work with vanilla JS/JQuery and PHP/Joomla. I'm not good with with any of those, I know zero about Joomla. I basically have been reading conversations for so long I was able to talk shop enough to get by any coding tests...so yeah...

Since I have roughly 2 weeks to learn I was thinking about doing some JS/PHP tutorials, I'm aiming for 10 on each language. I know I'm an imposter (and I was honest when I told them I didn't have much experience, they seemed willing to teach me because they liked my attitude) but I want to learn the basics so I don't look like a complete retard.

Where does /wdg/ go for tutorials? I'm wanting to follow some because doing an actual project even if it's just following it will teach more. I've gone over several of the JS basics videos over the course of a couple years but I never really used it, so I forgot...

Where do I go for tutorials? Websites? YouTube?

/blog - sorry for the blogging.
>>
File: 1378180818888.jpg (5KB, 159x200px) Image search: [Google]
1378180818888.jpg
5KB, 159x200px
I'm going to absolutely shill a paid course here, but this is one of THE BEST intro to webdev I've ever done. Cannot recommend it enough.

https://www.udemy.com/the-web-developer-bootcamp/
>>
>>62369124
>How hard is it to make an android app?
there are 3 million android apps in play store. enough said

>As for how to make them actually use the app, he mentioned something like once they update their info they can use use the same app to get some discounts at stores which you can already do with the graduate credential.
yeah I don't see how that could work

>How would I go about this? Java? Html5? How much time do you think it's almost impossible to estimate.
as for the tech, I guess the best two options are full native with Java or Kotlin, or React Native.
>>
>>62369124
>>62369444
I fucked up the last answer:
>How would I go about this? Java? Html5? How much time do you think a project like this would take me?
it's almost impossible to estimate how mucj time it would take you (but seeing that there are 3 million apps out there this stuff not very hard to learn). as for the tech, I guess the best two options are full native with Java or Kotlin, or React Native.
>>
>>62369482
Thanks for the answer. I would still like a rough estimation of how long it would take me though. 1 month? 3 months? If anyone has any idea, please say it.
>>
>>62367835

The company I work for is already in the process of moving there AngularJS stuff to Angular 2 (big performance increases). The most recent releases of AngularJS include Angular 2 concepts like components (over directives), and there isn't any reason why you couldn't use typescript with AngularJS.
>>
Angular is fine but shit it's confusing and the documentation is trash for the most part if you're trying to use their latest version.
>>
Super simple question /wdg/. Testing whether connection to SQL database is successful with PHP.
  $conn = mysqli_connect(SERVER_NAME, DATABASE_USER, DATABASE_PASSWORD, DATABASE_NAME);
if ($conn) {
echo 'Success!';
} else {
echo 'Failure :(' . mysqli_error($conn);
}

Is this all there is to it?
>>
>>62369164
I don't understand, what's your programming experience senpai?
>>
File: Untitled.png (25KB, 1135x295px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
25KB, 1135x295px
>>62366905
>>
>>62369841
https://secure.php.net/mysqli_connect
>Note:
>OO syntax only: If a connection fails an object is still returned. To check if the connection failed then use either the mysqli_connect_error() function or the mysqli->connect_error property as in the preceding examples.

As usual, php has a shitty inconsistent API with poor documentation.
>>
>>62369164
>can't even read the op
kys
>>
>>62369164
>PHP

I'm so sorry anon.
>>
How do you all do mockups? I have access to a Windows machine a Linux one, so programs for either of those would work. If I had a Mac I'd be using Sketch for sure, but alas.
>>
File: 1331655930100.jpg (485KB, 602x2047px) Image search: [Google]
1331655930100.jpg
485KB, 602x2047px
>>62369898
I studied all this shit two years ago. Never used the languages except for making shit sites for friends, so I forgot everything. Got an IT job that consumed my soul and took all my time. I've relearned the basic design shit and was about to start on the programming aspects (php, JS, C#) again and got a call for an interview.

>>62369991
OP for /wdg/ been a worthless waste of space for at least a year. Everyone knows about FCC, CA, and the road map meme. I was asking for links to project tutorials and asking where /wdg/ goes for projects. No where in the OP is that a thing. Traversy is pretty good though.

>>62370023
It's not IT man and at least it's 7.1 and not some legacy code.
>>
>there are 3 million android apps in play store. enough said

made by less than 50,000 people.....
>>
>>62370046
pen and paper, then html and css

>>62370223
1 million. ~968k to be more precise
>>
File: 1474812343620.png (103KB, 506x662px) Image search: [Google]
1474812343620.png
103KB, 506x662px
Would you use TypeScript for a basic (as in logically complex, but technologically only relying on plain JS and HTML5) browser application?

Any good guides for rules of thumb? Most I find is for Node.js.
>>
>>62370937
yes I would
>>
>>62370046
balsamiq. the end
>>
>>62369797
What?

>>62369124
>How hard is it to make an android app?
Not that h--
>I have almost no programming experience
Well, it's going to be hell. Start small and simple don't just jump straight into a massive project like that. You should learn java, yes, but also take google's udacity courses because actually building & publishing the app is its own completely separate involved task. MIN: 3mos of nonstop learning and development and that's for a crappy first iteration.
>>
>>62370046
pen paper
figma is huge especially if you're already used to sketch
>>
File: 1503876698568.jpg (47KB, 1024x578px) Image search: [Google]
1503876698568.jpg
47KB, 1024x578px
>>62371891
post in the fucking thread like a normal person instead of advertising your server
>>
File: 1501124476246.gif (2MB, 337x361px) Image search: [Google]
1501124476246.gif
2MB, 337x361px
Is there a free/cheap webhost that allows you to mess with the server config files?

For example, I have a PHP7 project that relies on rerouting all non-static requests to the index.php file in the sites-available file. Ant hosts that let me config this?
>>
>>62368671

where did you get the adds? google addsense?
>>
>>62372331
google 'affiliate marketing'
>>
Are there ANY Udemy courses you guys would recommend or is the entire site just a cesspit collection?
>>
>>62372493
https://www.udemy.com/treating-victims-of-bullying/
>>
File: 1500309006071.png (41KB, 400x416px) Image search: [Google]
1500309006071.png
41KB, 400x416px
WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A MILLION WAYS TO DO ONE THING IN WEBDEV
>>
>>62372266
hostsailor let you do whatever the fuck you want as long you don't overheat rack
>>
>>62372610
>WEBDEV
*programming

you are one dumb fuck anon
>>
>>62372610
Because programming languages have to be abstract by their nature. They are designed to be able to achieve literally anything
>>
>>62372610
I don't know why this is such a problem for some of you? You have options, just pick one you prefer.
>>
>>62372610
WHY THE FUCK ARE THERE A MILLION BREAKFAST OPTIONS?

>>62372493
Nope, especially not for webdev.
>>
>>62372266

just spin a $5/month droplet VPS you cheap cunt
>>
Is there an easy way to make data from a form be structured somewhat?

I have a form that sends this data:

userId: hfd8fdfdi
question text: answer value
etc
surveyId: sj9asd

I want to have all the questions inside an array of objects so I could later iterate through them and sum the value of all the answers, then send that to the server along with the user id and survey id since those are the things that I need in the end.
>>
>>62372266
just use a vm
>>
>>62372947

do you get a static IP with your droplet?
I can't afford a domain name atm.
>>
well fuck me, just got laid off from an entry level IT support gig. it was really rather tedious so this is likely a good thing. how do i jump into webdev, just the bento, codecademy, freecodecamp route?

i might have an opportunity coming up, so I need to kind of just get right to it. please tell me the irl webdev bootcamps are just scams cause they all look half assed and over priced.
>>
>>62373011

nigga just google a book pdf and go through it
>>
>>62372994
yes, that's how servers work
>I can't afford a domain name atm.
you can get domains for <1$ you cheapo.
even 10$ for a normal one is nothing over a year. Just go a week without gummy bears and you got the money.
>>
File: 1498413460875.jpg (29KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1498413460875.jpg
29KB, 500x375px
>>62373197

>you can get domains for <1$ you cheapo.
where?

I'm just a hungry cunt trying to do his homework
>>
>>62373220
none of the hip TLDs, but a .website should do the trick if you are desperate.

https://www.namecheap.com/domains/registration/results.aspx?domain=gdfsjkhglfdhih
click on discounted
>>
File: 1495781497443.jpg (115KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1495781497443.jpg
115KB, 800x800px
>>62373317

>free whois guard

this is really neat, thanks anon

here, have some 2D
>>
File: php.png (7KB, 197x291px) Image search: [Google]
php.png
7KB, 197x291px
>tfw you got the communication between PHP and SQL going on
that's nice

now how do I get the content submitted from the form to go into the database
>>
>>62372637
I'm intrigued by hostsailor. I notice they are based in Romania. Are they trustworthy?
>>
>>62370937
Typescript is useful for interfaces and situations where others are using/reusing your component or api.
>>
>>62373676
only problem you can get with them is that your server ip may be blacklisted
since they are very cheap and dont give a fuck what are you doing with server, they are used a lot by "bad people" and ip's get blacklisted
>>
I want to update a nested document array inside a parent document. How exactly should I be doing this in Mongo/Mongoose? And do I need to make another API endpoint for that?

//Server method
updateRespondent: async(req, res, next) => {
const { id } = req.params;
const updatedRespondent = req.body;
const result = await Respondent.findByIdAndUpdate(id, updatedRespondent);
res.status(200).json(result);
}

//Angular service method
updateRespondent(formData, surveyId) {
const respondentUrl = this.respondentsUrl + '/' + formData.userId;

const surveyAnswered = {
id: surveyId,
result: 5,
dateOfCompletition: Date.now()
}

return this.http.patch<any>(respondentUrl, surveyAnswered);
}

// Angular component method
onSubmit(formData) {
this.respondentService.updateRespondent(formData, this.survey._id).subscribe(response => {
});
}
>>
bee
>>
What's a good CSS framework for easy layouts and no manual work for responsiveness?
>>
>>62375897
Bootstrap, Semantic, Foundation, whatever, as long as it's not an obscure or dead framework
>>
>>62375925
Thanks bro, soon im gonna be the sickest brogrammer with my sports app
>>
>>62376020
it is mentioned in the github, try scrolling down

>>62375897
bulma
>>
>>62374149
Pleease respond
>>
File: book-cover.jpg (104KB, 1106x1377px) Image search: [Google]
book-cover.jpg
104KB, 1106x1377px
I have a web dev class coming up next month and been using this one book some web dev have been using. it's called "HTML & CSS" by duckett and im starting to like it. Is this a good start getting into html&css?
>>
If I want to block only specific divs that have a certain span with a certain class within them, how would I do that with CSS?

Example:
<div id="generatedID" class="class subclass">
<span title="fixedTitle" class="otherclass othersubclass"></span>
</div>
>>
File: server side chart.jpg (159KB, 915x678px) Image search: [Google]
server side chart.jpg
159KB, 915x678px
>all manlet framework devs need not apply
>>
Best site to buy domains?
>>
How do I make email accounts with a service like heroku or firebase? Can it even be done?
>>
>>62369388
Is there a starting date/deadline on this course or can I go at it at my own pace? I'm interested in buying but my schedule is pretty booked up at the moment.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-09-12_14-36-34.png (38KB, 412x494px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-09-12_14-36-34.png
38KB, 412x494px
Please no bully.
i don't understand pic related.
>>
>>62377943
If you've ever done algebra in school, instead of substituting "x" for a value, you're substituting any word (or letter) as an alias to something. In this case the word "myVar" is substituted for the number 5. So the result of "myVar + 1" is 6.
>>
>>62377493
You can't apply styling to parents through CSS
>>
What would be the terrorwave of web design?
>>
>>62378007
Notepad
Netscape Navigator >3
XHTML
Web 2.0
>>
>>62368292
How bad are you? I'm sorry you're such a brainlet
>>
File: 824.jpg (38KB, 403x433px) Image search: [Google]
824.jpg
38KB, 403x433px
>>62377987
Can you write me the code?
>>
>>62373317
>>62373421
>NameCheap

Just don't get upset if they decide to take away your domain.
>>
>>62372493
Check these out, they're supposedly good and should guide you

https://www.lynda.com/learning-paths/Web/become-a-front-end-web-developer

https://www.lynda.com/learning-paths/Web/become-a-full-stack-web-developer

https://www.lynda.com/learning-paths/Web/become-a-web-developer

You can download the courses if you search them. Pluralsight and O'Reilly are other sites to check out with similar learning paths.
>>
>>62377943
Honestly, I have a few issues with this picture, since it oversimplifies certain things, and outright gets wrong other bits.
>you can store a value in a variable with the assignment operator.
True, but they fail to mention the comparison operator here ( == ). I feel that's a big mistake - Why is "if(myVar = 3)" a bad idea? - and it really doesn't complicate things at all.
>Assignment always goes from right to left.
This is one of those cases where saying something succinctly SOUNDS nice, but it doesn't really work. As a bad example, if you have "var myVar = new Array(Math.floor(Math.random()*100).fill(100,0).length;" (this just gets the length of an array of random length from 0-99), it actually DOESN'T go from right to left. A better way of phrasing this is that the stuff to the right of the equals is 'solved' (or run, in my example), and then put into the "box" labeled "myVar".

>Assigns 5 to myVar...resolves myVar to 5 again... assigns to myNum
Eh, sort of . The issue here is that there are different types of variables in JS (and most programming languages). For most 'simple' variables, such as numbers and strings (think 'sentences'), what they say is basically true: when assigning one var to another, we read the value of the first var (myVar in this case) and stick that VALUE in the second var (myNum here).
HOWEVER: It's very misleading. For example, consider the following:
var myVar = "Bilbo Baggins"; var hobbitFam = myVar.split(' ')[1];
(cont'd)
>>
>>62378005
I'm trying with javascript now: https://jsfiddle.net/d0aao0p3/
I fond that on stackoverflow but it doesn't seem to work here.
>>
>>62378182
Well I'd love to continue explaining, but unfortunately something keeps preventing me from responding with more than 4 fucking sentences. Sorry.
>>
>>62367468
Try using 100vh and 100vw instead.
>>
>>62378363
Just show me the code how to finish this. I will try learning it from it.
>>
File: SsPMiCy[1].png (17KB, 931x159px) Image search: [Google]
SsPMiCy[1].png
17KB, 931x159px
>>62366905
What are you, casuls?
(dec & jun vacations)
>>
File: random padding.png (3KB, 247x77px) Image search: [Google]
random padding.png
3KB, 247x77px
Why am i getting random space on the left of a <ul> that's set to 100% width. It pushes it across and out of the parent for some reason?
>>
>>62378591
Check the element and see which CSS rules apply.
Won't be 'random' afterwards anymore.
>>
What do I need to learn to transition smoothly from being a backbone dev to a react dev?

I know I have to learn the different functions in the life cycle and also es6, is there anything else i'm missing?
>>
How does my plan look (did a minor in cs in college)

In chronological order:
>learn JavaScript + React through FCC
>start looking for a job
>learn python + Django + Algorithms
>learn c++
>>
I'm understanding SQL now and am needing help with understanding how threads work in messageboards, imageboards etc. It's confusing me right now. How do threads have a 'higher' status than posts so posts are made to threads and stay to those threads? How do I achieve this in SQL?
>>
>>62377922
You just buy it and get access to all tge videos. There is no start or end date, you go at your own pace
>>
Can I use node.js readable streams in the browser? If not, is there an easy way to get arbitrary parts of files with webtorrent in the browser?
>>
What's a good stack that doesn't shit itself randomly like ammps just did to me?
>>
I need a tutorial source on how to do things like these:
https://persona.co/Credits
https://2.cargocollective.com/Backdrops @0:53 – 1:00.
Thank you in advance for any help. I'm just starting out, so I apologize if this is a very newbie question.
>>
What webdev tutors do you watch on YouTube, /wdg/?
>>
FCC is good for basic shit, but it's not going to make you job ready. It's good, but you're going to need some additional resources to master job interviews. That, and I also recommend doing more projects than the ones they give you to do. Hell, I'd even omit some of them. For example, the weather application they have you build is garbage. The openweather API doesn't work for like 90% of the users 100% of the time.

So, FCC and a few books -> just for javascript. But when you get into that hell hole, but glorious library, there's lots of other shit you're going to need to learn with it(along with more shit:
>redux
>react-router
>Babel
>Webpack
>npm

While you don't really need them to start building shit, you're going to need them, or at least be familiar with them when job hunting.
>>
Is it bad PHP practice to keep the parameters in the url (i.e. 'board.php?id=1&thread=3928')?
>>
Thing I hate most about old people, particularly old web developers, is their use of the phrase 'plug in' to say that they have implemented something. "I plugged in this code", "just plug the code into the file and you're done", etc. It sounds very goofy.
>>
>>62380811
you have autism
>>62380296
none
>>62379907
peep
>>62376765
that and the javascript book are great intros
>>
>>62379535
each post has a thread_id column

>>62380448
it's not strictly php-related, but to answer your question: not really, even youtube does this

>>62380811
never heard that expression
>>
>>62380448
parameters in the URL are a core pattern of the web. don't hide stuff from the URL unless you have a reason to.
>>
>>62379535
You have separate entries for threads and posts. Every thread has a bump_time column, can be either timestamp or just auto_increment. You then do
select * from threads order by bump_time desc limit 20

to list the top 20 threads.
>>
>>62378591

read up on the box model and user agent style sheets!
>>
>>62367468
fixed positioning in IOS has been buggy for years, if you google you'll find some hacky workarounds
>>
Anyone here who uses purely windows for all their stuff?
>>
>>62381632

I swap between my personal mac book air and my win 10 work laptop - don't have any issues using npm-cli (scripts) in powershell and don't have a preference either way
>>
>>62381632
not "purely" windows I suppose, been having fun with WSL lately
but yeah largely just windows, still have yet to use the free azure space though
>>
>>62381701
>still have yet to use the free azure space though
F R E E?
>>
>>62381775
{(free)}
>>
How do I make a query that retrieves the last 10 created orders that has a order row with sum? The tables look like this:

CREATE TABLE orders (id, create_date);
CREATE TABLE orderrows (id, order_id, sum);
>>
>>62369124
Learn programming first. I should take about 6 months. Then learn react and react native. That should take about a month.
>>
>>62381907
Add create_date to orderrows so you get CREATE TABLE orderrows (id, order_id, sum, create_date);
>>
>>62367588

You need two days to learn Vue, two weeks to learn React and two Months to learn Angular.

So it might be a good idea to spend a week with some Vue projects. Afterwards you can learn React.

I don't really like Angular, it reminds me too much of Java.

>>62380448

It's not "bad", but it makes it easy for people to data scrape your site. So it's up to you to decide if that's a problem for you or not.

>>62381348

No, YouTube does NOT put up a (linear) ID so you can geuss the "next" video in the database from the current url. It's more like a hash.

Try it for yourself:
go some page and change a random letter/number. Chances are that you will land on a empty entry pretty fast.
>>
>>62381991
I can't change it so I have to use some kind of join I guess?
>>
>>62382037
>>62381991
>>62381907
dont need date
sql has an incremental key of sorts, as long as orders are added in the order they happen rather than retrospectively

I forgot the name of it
>>
>>62382037
Yes, use a subquery.
SELECT order_id, sum FROM orderrows WHERE id = (SELECT id FROM orders ORDER BY create_date DESC LIMIT 10);
>>
>>62382062

You mean an auto-increment ID, but this is a bad idea for various reasons, for example migrations or when you delete and re-insert data.

You should always have "created_at" and "updated_at" fields unless you are 100% sure that you will never be interested in the timeline of the data (i.e. for distinct categories).
>>
>>62372970
Put all question in html array input then iterate it later on server side
>>
Speaking about chrome only, can I force the browser to spawn multiple threads by using iframes and using postMessage to pass data between those threads?
>>
File: 1445377217382.png (568KB, 617x850px) Image search: [Google]
1445377217382.png
568KB, 617x850px
>>62378480
>>62378048
What are you having problems with? The instructions?
Assuming you didn't figure it out:
>Assign the value 7 to variable a
a = 7;
'a' has the value 7 now
>Assign the contents of a to variable b;
b = a;
'b' has the value of 'a' now, which is 7.
>>
>>62382693
replying to myself: The answer is yes, with experimental features

Chrome has an experimental flag under Chrome://flags called
#enable-site-per-process
that will make iframes of cross-domains to be on their own threads. If you have a child iframe with the script:

setInterval(function(){
for(var i = 0; i < 1000; i++)
console.log("iframe");
}, 1000);

and a parent file which contains the child as an iframe, and the following script:

setInterval(function(){
console.log("A");
console.log("B");
}, 1);

the console output looks like pic related
>>
>>62382942
>pic
Not sure if guy sitting in a chair reading a book, or guy sitting in a chair getting a BJ from a girl
>>
Should I take an unpaid internship in a startup for experience and to put something on my CV? I'm a 2nd year CS student with no related work experience thus far, so I guess it is worth it? I am also completely inexperienced in back end development.

The work doesn't appear very hard and if I'm not able for the backend work (Ruby on Rails) I can just do basic front end implementation and shit
>>
>>62382032
>No, YouTube does NOT put up a (linear) ID so you can geuss the "next" video in the database from the current url. It's more like a hash.
that's true, but he was only asking about putting parameters in the query string, not about their content
>>
>>62383416
If you are doing any work at the internship then it is illegal for it to be unpaid.
>>
>>62383446
>illegal for it to be unpaid.

Lol. there are tons of internships here that are unpaid
>>
>>62383606
It is legal for an internship to be unpaid if it's not work and purely training. It is illegal for an internship to be unpaid if the intern is doing any actual work. If the intern does work which generates value for the company then they are just an employee. That being said, lots of companies break the law when it comes to unpaid internships.
>>
>>62383640
true that

mostly it's just:

>we'll pay you in experience!
>>
>>62383674
Anybody who takes that deal is a chump.
>>
>>62383700
it's not just that

most jobs require experience, and people do that shit to gain experience even if it is unpaid
>>
>>62383606
>>62383640
what the fuck
I am not arguing that interns should earn gazillions

but how is a young man supposed to, yknow, EAT FOOD
>>
>>62382984
TIL about web workers I'm a retard
>>
>>62383726
Which is retarded and valueless.

>>62383728
>but how is a young man supposed to, yknow, EAT FOOD
How about if idiots stopped taking those illegal unpaid internships so that companies could no longer get away with hiring employees for literally zero dollars?
>>
>>62383728
>but how is a young man supposed to, yknow, EAT FOOD
In this late-stage capitalist world you don't, you just die
>>
>>62383446
>>62383700
>>62383674
Yes it's illegal here (Ireland; I should get minimum wage) but it will only be 5-10 hours a week so it's not too big a deal, it's just to get something related to CS on my CV so I can apply for a proper internship come summer. It could even evolve to a proper job if I'm good enough (they need a developer)
>>
>>62383416
Fuck no, unless it's the only thing you can get. Experience is good, but engineering/sw dev internships are almost always paid pretty well. Ask them for $17/hr as that's a fairly reasonable intern wage (still a bit low imo), and if they're not willing to pay you any more than $10/hr, walk away.

It's not about money; it's about respect for you and respect for your time. If you're free labor, they will waste your time all day because they can. If you're on the clock, they'll make sure they're using you efficiently when you're there.

I promise you an unpaid internship in software is just going to be an unpleasant experience for everyone involved.
>>
>>62383822
>>62383829
Go ahead, sell out your kind, do your part to devalue the entire industry.

Idiots who take these jobs screw over everybody in the market, and the value of that "experience" is nothing but a con. Open source work is of far, far more value. Stop selling yourself and all the rest of us short.
>>
>>62383822
Do those 5-10 hours a week include the time you'll spend getting up to speed on the tools you'll be using? Or are those just going to be your "billable" hours?

Seriously, they might not be able to afford a full price developer, but they should at least be able to pay minimum wage. Otherwise, it's not a company you want to work for.
>>
>>62383822
>it's illegal
>but I still take it
>it's just 10 hours of slavery ;-)
Fuck this, fuck this with fire faam. Have you at least tried asking? It very well might be something like "-Hey, what about $n for my 10 hours? -Oh, ok, here you go."

>>62383829
>If you're free labor, they will waste your time all day because they can. If you're on the clock, they'll make sure they're using you efficiently when you're there.
Exactly.
>>
Can someone here explain to a stupid fuck (me) how to do the following with asp/owin:

>route to specific namespace
ex: "myurl/{controller}/{action}/" to "MyApp.MyNamespace.Controllers"

>how to load cshtml files via that as well (I want to create a server that runs things and I'd like to be able to modify views and such without updating the code of the app)

plz help
>>
>>62383974
nevermind, I've found solutions for both

turns out I was incorrectly assuming the configuration of webapp even matters (it doesn't) and all it cares about is RoutePrefix + Route on specific classes/methods

as for the second one - just need to install razor engine (the one from 2017 in nuget, not from MS) and run it through that.

woop.
>>
is there a coding bootcamp redpill for me to take? I'm studying on my own but I like direction and being set up with job connections.
>>
I'm doing a code test and apparently there's something wrong with this code but I can't see it. Someone who can help me find it?

$car = array(car => \"bmw\", text => \"blahblah\");
$cars = array { $car };
var_dump($cars);
>>
>>62387031
it's written in php
>>
>>62386888
paying $9000 for connections is stupid
>>
>>62387031
Before coding, read the documentation. Backslashes are not supposed to enclose single or double quotes.

>>62387101
Why would you troll web languages in a web development thread?
>>
Is there a less ugly way to wait for a component to get all the data it needs before rendering it in the view other than using an *ngIf="thing" encapsulating the whole html document?
>>
>>62388151
Can you show a loading message or loading animation?
>>
I mean something ugly like this in the code
<div *ngIf="alpha">
<app-child *ngFor="let item of alpha.betas" [item]="item"></app-child>
</div>

I need that ngIf or else my app will crash because when it renders the alpha thing I'm passing isn't ready yet.
>>
One of our devs just quit.

I can get a PHP job for someone in either north central texas or the texoma area.
>>
>tfw you are able to work something out without having to ask somebody or search for it on Google
>>
For those that use postcss, which plugins do you use?
>>
How do I put in text like <this> into a webpage (between arrows) without it not showing up at all?
>>
>>62392358
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5068951/what-do-entities-lt-and-gt-stand-for
>>
Is there a way to get the value in a checked checkbox without using a form in angular 4?
>>
File: 1483076122353.png (24KB, 164x103px) Image search: [Google]
1483076122353.png
24KB, 164x103px
Guys, I'm having an existential crisis right now: How do I know if I can use a certain image on my website?
I don't know how to draw, nor I have the money to pay an artist. I always thought I could use any image on websites as long as I don't make money from it and give the authors the credits. Reading MDN I realized this was wrong?
>>
>>62393583
Buy one from a stock image website or find a free one from a free stock image website.
>>
What is the best dedicated hosting service available /wdg/?
>>
>>62393583
pexels photos

Look it up.
>>
>>62393583
>I always thought I could use any image on websites as long as I don't make money from it and give the authors the credits.
That's the case for certain licenses, e.g. the creative commons non-commercial license, which basically says that you can use stuff, but you can't make money off it.

That's the case for some images. Some are completely free to use however you want, some you pay once and then you can do whatever you want with them.

https://unsplash.com/ is a pretty good site for completely free images.
>>
has anyone tried Atom IDE?
>>
>>62393853
Yeah, sucks ass.
>>
How does one learn to use Spring in this sea of bad tutorials, books and videos?
Hearing recommendations.
>inb4 just use X framework
>>
>>62394218
i take my professors tutorials
>>
i got my first taste of working with/around CORS and APIs and never have i wanted to throw my retarded ass into a lake as much as today
>>
>>62394582
Yeah, man.

Professionally?

Wait until you get certified as a consumer for an API standard and you try to sign a request with a certified provider and your signatures don't match(literally should not be possible) Thats when you really want to throw yourself in a lake.
>>
Anyone knows an script to make HTML bookmarks to XBEL? I am trying to port my HTML bookmarks to XBEL, found script and I am struggling to make it work. What do I need to make this script work https://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg00830/firefox2elinks.pl

Do I need firefox installed? Does it need a dependency I don't know? Wha dependencies does it need?
>>
>>62376765
Isn't this book outdated? I wonder whether I should buy it or not.
>>
Material for Angular is fucking shit.
>>
>>62395118
That's the problem with web dev books.
At least online resources and courses can be updated to new standards and features, that become available in browsers over time.
>>
>>62395118
It mentions 960.gs, which was a means to achieve what the grid system does now in CSS. So it is a little outdated but is still a great book.
>>
>>62395135
Material is hideous, why would you want to emulate it?
>>
using node

apps at: localhost:3000
i have index.html which contains index.JS.
index.js gives localhost:3000/modifydata a bunch of data and the modifydata route runs a function on it and returns the output to the client.

what does my route need to look like and what will the client js look like?
help. after learning promises my brain's friend.
>>
http://blog.atom.io/2017/09/12/announcing-atom-ide.html
>>
>>62395807
..what's the difference between that and atom besides the rounded edges?
>>
>>62395489
>structure my app for me
What happened to reading documentation?
>>
>>62395891
it is atom
its atom with an additional package
>>
>>62377571
ASP.NET higher than Java?

Are you sure?
>>
>>62395900
dansshittyblog.com isn't cutting it and everything else is vague as fuck
>>
>>62395891
I dont really know, i have all of those features in vscode already
>>
>>62396047
some random guys blog ramblings isn't documentation
>what does my route need to look like
You even wrote what you need. Static files and /modifydata
>>
Working on a new project at work and project lead says we're gonna use Vue.js, Typescript, and ASP.Net Core 2

I never use frontend frameworks in my own projects because I don't quite like the taste of their syntax. Vue.js:

<div id="app-4">
<ol>
<li v-for="todo in todos">
{{ todo.text }}
</li>
</ol>
</div>

<script>
var app4 = new Vue({
el: '#app-4',
data: {
todos: [
{ text: 'Learn JavaScript' },
{ text: 'Learn Vue' },
{ text: 'Build something awesome' }
]
}
})
</script>

This is just disgusting IMO.

Plus, I try to avoid javascript in my webapps if I can. This all just seems like a massive amount of needless bloat.

Also not looking forward to having to work with MSDN/C#
>>
I know you guys get this question time and I am sorry for that. It's just that I am completely lost and need someone to turn to.
How do I build a simple, but good looking, page? I am completely lost in front-end development I need something responsive and function, i've been checking out bootstrap but i am stuck in this less,sass loop how can you apply it in a project?? can someone spoon feed me?
>>
>>62396402
https://vuejs.org/v2/guide/single-file-components.html
>I never use frontend frameworks in my own projects
>This is just disgusting IMO.
What, you rather want to gimp around in jQuery or do some retarded SSR for a todolist?
>Plus, I try to avoid javascript in my webapps if I can.
fucking why? There is literally nothing wrong with javascript. This is one thing I can not understand.
You bundle your JS, throw out the unneeded parts, minify it.
It's not a large file. Shit is fast if you are not a copypasting-stackoverflow-jquery tard.
Why are you even dealing with webdev, if you don't want to use essential technologies?
Fuck this shit for making me write all this.

>>62396603
you don't really need to care about SASS/LESS for 'basic' usage, if you just want to apply some classes here and there to your HTML.
Just include the CSS files from some CDN or NPM and check the documentation how to use the classes.
Foundation is another alternative to Bootstrap.
Bulma is a CSS-only framework, that is a bit lighter.
>>
>>62378480
>Just show me the code how to finish this.
No you won't. This is one of the most fundamental concepts of programming. If you just 'skip' past this, you're either not going to get it later, or worse, you'll think you do, and move onto the next lesson without learning anything.
>>
>>62396603
you just link it in head
>>
>>62392358
You need escape characters. Basically, they start with '&', and end with ';', and have some stuff in the middle. For example, &#128021; (without the spaces) is a doggo. You'd want &lt; (for 'less than'), then your tag stuff, then &gt; ('greater than').
>>
>>62396768
Every bad website you've ever used was bad because it was overloaded with megabytes of Javascript. Literally every news site (WaPo, NYT, Huffington, etc.) is made instantly better by disabling javascript.

These frameworks don't make better code. They make it easier for retards to write code, which makes for worse code. Literally try to justify writing code in attribute tags.

>essential technologies
Why are web devs so terrified of actually programming things and not relying on others
>>
>>62395489
That's kinda vague, brotato, but what's the structure of your app? Are you using Express? Do you have a separate routing folder? Here's a simplified version of what I use (stuff with (f) is folders):
root
-public(f):stuff the user can directly access/view
--views(f): all of the 'views' your user can see
---index.html:your main webpage
--js(f)
---index.js: main front-end js file
--css(f)
---styles.css:your main css file.
-routes(f): folder with routes. CAN have subfolders
--index.js: routes!
-app.js

In your app.js, assuming you're using express, you'll first need to expose your public folder to the front-end:
app.use(express.static(path.join(__dirname, 'public')));

You'll also need to include a refrence to your routes/index.js file:
app.use('/',require('./routes'));

Finally, in your routes/index.js file:
var express = require('express');
var router = express.Router();;
router.get('/', function(req, res, next) {
//serve your main index file.
res.sendFile('./index.html', { root: './views' })
});
router.post('/modifyData', function(req, res, next) {
//do some stuff!
var newData = doStuffToData(req.body.data)
res.send(newData)
});
module.exports = router;

You'll want to deal with the asynchronicity on the front end, in your public/js/index.js file, but other than that it should work.
>>
>>62397620
>I never used frontend frameworks
>I asure you these things are made for retards, you can trust my experience in this area
>>
>>62397620
>Why are web devs so terrified of actually programming things
>Literally every news site (WaPo, NYT, Huffington, etc.) is made instantly better by disabling javascript.
ummmmmmmm
>>
>>62397746
>>62397760
still haven't justified this mess:
<div v-for="todo in todos">

>code in attribute tag

Why not write it in vanilla javascript or a simple templating engine. These frameworks are just disgusting
>>
>>62397846
How would you write a loop in a template engine, anon.
>>
>>62393853
looks like a preview version of features that vscode has had since a relatively long time. I might try it in a couple of month

>>62397620
>Why are web devs so terrified of actually programming things and not relying on others
are you the guy that's going to use asp.net? why not just write plain C#? nah, that's still relying on microsoft too much. I guess you should write your own .net runtime, or even better, just write plain C code. or asm perhaps?

>>62397846
you can: https://vuejs.org/v2/guide/render-function.html#Replacing-Template-Features-with-Plain-JavaScript
do your research
>>
>>62397620
I agree with you on these points. You check out the network requests on some sites and it's some frankensteinish monster being loaded in front of your eyes.
It's still completely up to the individual Dev, what makes up the site or an app on the end. Some frontend frameworks like vue with 20kb are not the problem. Some random slightly unoptimized image takes up more than that.
What I am trying to say is, that even though there are lots of bad examples, there is no reason that any site couldn't be made extremely lean and fast while still featuring useful (clientside) functionality and an appealing visual style.
>>
>>62397882
<div>
<?php
for($i = 0, $i < 10; $i++)
echo "hello";
?>
</div>

It's 3rd grade spongebob
>>
>>62396402
Vue is the easiest (and lightest) Popular JS framework. Give it a try, you are not adding hundred of js dev-dependencies like you would do with React or Angular, so it is fine for newbies :D
>>
>>62397917
And you seem terrified by a cleaner version of that
>>
what does gee think of a company having a mix of applications in ASP.NET (hosted in IIS) and Java EE (hosted in JBoss EAP)

it feels wrong
>>
>>62397917
>>62397846
>literal 2 IQ
>>
>>62397914
>why not just write plain C#
Because the people who sign my paychecks want me to

>or even better, just write plain C code. or asm perhaps?

Don't be a fucking idiot with that slippery slope bullshit. You can look at some disgusting frontend hacked-in syntax and think it's shit and still be able to use a high level programming language or even a backend framework.

Speaking of which, I'm fine with sensible backend frameworks, but I really hate anything to do with Microsoft, especially Visual Studio/MVC shit

Really these frameworks suck the fun out of programming. If all you want is a finished product, why not just drag and drop a website with wix or some shit?
>>
>>62397846
That's a pretty clean way. It's not like you are writing a completely function inside the directive and it makes it easier to follow what data that element is rendering.
Still if you prefer other ways that's cool too. It's not the only reactive framework.
>>
>>62397945
>hacked up syntax writing code in attribute tags with quotes and hyphens in selection control blocks
>cleaner
I can't fucking even, courtney. You're running a parser inside a parser. Why complicate things? name one advantage these frameworks have over writing things using a template engine and vanilla JS (or no JS at all), other than hipsters telling you it's the next big thing?
>>
>>62397995
>Really these frameworks suck the fun out of programming.
Moving goalposts now because you got btfo. What else is new~
>>
>>62398023
>ignoring the other shit I said and highlighting a single ADDITIONAL sentence I added

Who's moving the goalposts, pajeet?

>>62397998
for one thing, writing code in a string literal breaks syntax highlighting in any good text editor
>>
>>62397950
it's fine

as long as you're planning slowly migrate everything to spring, dropping the application server (and fucking winshit as well)

>>62397995
seems like you don't like the job. drop it and go embedded or whatever

>Really these frameworks suck the fun out of programming.
I've been doing shitton of Spring, React and Electron lately and I'm loving it, so speak for yourself.

>>62398022
>name one advantage these frameworks have over writing things using a template engine and vanilla JS (or no JS at all), other than hipsters telling you it's the next big thing?
cleaner architecture and more manageable code

>>62398042
>for one thing, writing code in a string literal breaks syntax highlighting in any good text editor
doesn't break syntax highlighting in the editor that supports it properly
>>
>>62398042
>calling others pajeet when frameworks are too intense for you
almighty keks
>>
>>62398022
Do you use Google and Youtube daily? Gmail is a Single Page Application. I hope you are not stubborn enough to think they can be written using a backend language.

After you have written enough large jQuery spaguetti apps, you will desire to stop producing similar crap. Guess what, those popular MV* frameworks born in the last years have years of investigation so you don't lose your hair anymore.
>>
>>62398202
>frameworks too intense
the point of frameworks is to help you make babbys first app, not be a more intense coding experience. Pajeets rely on frameworks. I'm not afraid of frameworks, I just hate how ugly and how much of a crutch they are for graphic designers pretending to be software developers. Hence, tomorrow I am looking for a new job
>>
>>62398210
I don't even use jQuery because I don't see the point.

Also, you can make an email website without it being single page. Did you think of that?
>>
>>62398022
>name one advantage
You think over time people created ember, knockout, angular, react, vue and what else they are called just for giggles? 3 of those emerged as proven and popular options.
The way interactive apps are written and used nowadays makes these libraries and frameworks extremely useful. Reactivity, reusable components, "cleaner code".
If you don't like them, then go for something else, but don't pretend that they aren't useful for what they want to accomplish.
>>
Any PHP dev around very north and central texas that wants a job?

MVC. I can get you 50k. This town is comfy and you will earn 15k more than most families do.

Either that or I can get you 20/hr at a place that uses an in-house PHP framework but you have to talk to clients and project lead like 4 projects at a time.

The 50k job is so comfy though and your money goes a very long ways here. Been there 2 months and bought VR, added 2k in cryptos, and rent is so cheap idk what to do with money.

I bet I can get a deal to cover moving since they are paying for us to go on a vacation and it's too late for new people, so they could give you a grand to move and you could front some more from pay if needed. It's so comfy here. Best dev job ever.
>>
>>62398297
Sure, now you will say you don't use Discord, Facebook, Instagram and other normie stuff. Keep maintaining motherfuckingwebsite.com
>>
>>62396768

>There is literally nothing wrong with javascript.
> Nothing wrong

ULTRA FORCED MEME

-999999999999999/10
>>
>>62398303
>it's popular so it must be good

Admit it: frameworks are written because 80% of devs and 90% of web devs are retards and need someone to hold their hand to make a website.

>don't pretend that they aren't useful for what they want to accomplish.

they accomplish keeping dipshits who can't code employed, so yes you're write, they do dilute the workpool
>>
>>62398265
>I just hate how ugly
how exactly is declarative UI uglier than spaghetti of document.createElements element.appends and string concatenations?

>and how much of a crutch they are for graphic designers pretending to be software developers
seems like you're resentful

>Hence, tomorrow I am looking for a new job
good
>>
I'm half way through a two day trial at a fairly large web dev company I've only just now realised how shit slow I am as a developer. The task they've gave me was supposed to be done in office hours but I'm now over 18 hours and the end is nowhere in sight.

Are all companies this fast paced? I think I need to rethink my career choices.
>>
>>62398331
>Discord
Video games are for white neckbeards friendo :^)
>Facebook
Got enough stacies in my daily life i don't need to follow them around at home too
>Instagram
I use the Instagram App, yes.
>>
>>62398360
>document.createElement
explicit code is spaghetti code? Okay, use jQuery if Javascript is too hard for you

>string concatenations
Literally a basic component in any programming language higher level than C. This is literally something you learn in the beginning of "java for dummies". How is string concatenation spaghetti? Do you have a learning disability? Can you read at a 2nd grade reading level? Here, I'll make it easier for you. ES6:

var x = "hello world;
var y = "javascript";
var s = `${x}, I like ${y}`;

if the syntax for "A + B" is somehow too abstract for you. Is addition spaghetti code as well?
>>
how do i stand out among other ad posters for webdev to make some $$$.
everyone's the same: cheap, dedicated, passionate, etc
>>
>>62398312
that's some shit money. I bill over $100/hr doing .net/asp.net mvc/front end/sql server dev.

Don't underestimate your worth if you're even remotely competent. If you can't get at least $130k where you live, move.
>>
>>62398374
>two day trial

you're working for two days? Is this for free?
>>
>>62398461
Yes but it's not actually work. It's like a college assignment.
>>
>>62398375
My last attempt of taking you out of your comfort zone is telling you that Instagram was programmed using React Native. This allows the backend to be used as an API only, so it can deliver data to different services.
>>62398435
Because you have zero knowledge about frontend frameworks, you are not aware that XSS attacks are a popular thing. I hope you validate and escape every variable added to a view.
>>
>>62398457
as a mexican't living in México I would take this shit
>>
>>62398435
declarative way of describing UI is superior to imperative way. this is why HTML, QML, XAML, JSX, etc. exist

>explicit code is spaghetti code?
when we're talking UI code and comparing it to templates? yes

>the rest of the post
I won't even comment of that. you've got to be having a very shitty day to be so hostile and pack so many derogatory assumptions into a couple of sentences
>>
>>62398486
> I hope you validate and escape every variable added to a view.

Are you fucking telling me you don't even know how to write proper webapp security? Do you know how to use PDOs? Do you know how to santize SQL? You're literally just proving that these frameworks are a crutch for people who have no idea what the fuck they're doing

Of course I'm checking input. I'm checking input because I'm not a retard. I'm doing it myself because I don't need the framework devs to do it for me
>>
>>62398593
HTML, QML, XAML, etc. all have ML because they stand for MARKUP LANGUAGE. They're not meant for programming, you're not meant to write code in them. Why not program everything in CSS? Why not write your documents in LaTeX or XML? Why even have Markup languages as a separate thing from scripting engines and templating engines if we're just going to shit all over it by putting code in string literals?
>>
>>62398617
But you make assumptions like a retard, anon
>>
File: nope.gif (3MB, 307x173px) Image search: [Google]
nope.gif
3MB, 307x173px
This thread has become very special olympics all of a sudden.
>>
>>62398637
wait, I don't even know what you're arguing for anymore. you just seem to be angry at everything. vue templates look very similar to xaml, except for the binding syntax which is supposed to resemble javascript code (it actually isn't)
>>
>>62397760
Well he's not wrong per se, in the same way that a completely fucking blank book can be understood far more easily than one with anything actually in it.
>>
>>62398312
I make more than that as a desktop support flunkie in the midwest. Isnt TX a tech hub?
>>
>>62398811
just what happens when you have /g/ posters infesting the gen, aggressive and bored whereas wdg regulars are just learning, building, and testing things
>>
>>62398457
>Don't underestimate your worth
You're playing if you think I'm only worth the salary here. The salary is a little less than 1/6th my income. I'm here because it's safe, cheap, I have complete freedom and no micromanaging, and I make more than 80% of the city on just the salary alone. I live like a kind with this as my salary.
>>
File: 1460685784423.gif (3MB, 386x232px) Image search: [Google]
1460685784423.gif
3MB, 386x232px
>>62399876
>just what happens when you have /g/ posters infesting the gen, aggressive and bored
Proper anons.

>whereas wdg regulars are just learning, building, and testing things
Take that shit to your reddit discord.
>>
>>62368548
You willing to go to KW? I see a fair amount of jobs here
>>
I want to create configuration-free react modules.
Create-react-app, nwb and others are cool, but if you create a module using one of these tools, the "parent" module can't just import the "child", you have to eject and modify include paths so that child's es6 and css code is resolved and loaded by webpack. But I want a configuration-free solution.

Is there any tool that will allow me to write "create-foo-app x-component", then "create-foo-app y-component", then to simply write "import x from 'x-component'" inside y?
>>
>>62403175
>you have to eject and modify include paths so that child's es6 and css code is resolved and loaded by webpack
Huh? I've never used create-react-app, but that sounds stupid and probably wrong. Can you show me an example? Sounds like your webpack config is busted.
>>
Convince me why should I install anything other than Visual Studio.
>>
>>62403575
Pass.
>>
VSCode and atom are really good. Sublime annoyed the hell out of me because it didn't have a built in powershell that could take user inputs. Tried for a day and gave up.

In the end its just an editor. No one cares if you use word or google docs to type something, the content and output are all that matters.
>>
>>62403575
Literally every developer tutorial is made on OS X.
Buy a Macbook if you're serious.
>>
>>62403776
Its overpriced for the specs
>>
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7srTtII3_sLM01PaVpHQkIzY0E

Don't fall for the udemy jew. Here's some free courses
>>
File: enjoy_peace_of_mind.png (640KB, 617x850px) Image search: [Google]
enjoy_peace_of_mind.png
640KB, 617x850px
>>62382942

can't unsee
>>
My boss wants me to build an online payment service (paypal, creditcard, remittance) for our software.
Give me the keywords i need to read up on.
>>
>>62404132
That's what I saw all the time.

It took 3 minutes of staring before I realized the guy was reading a book in the meantime.
>>
>>62366775
Hey /wdg/. I've drafted a landing page I want to set up for a small marketing campaign. It'll ask for prospective email addresses and send them confirmations. The frontend side of things is no sweat, but I'm looking for an easy way to set up the email functionality. Don't want the hassle of getting cosy with some new third party UI and lingo (automated email marketing campaign?) and a big service for something very simple. I've come up with a few alternatives:
>mailchimp
>sendpulse
>custom server + node js + express + nodemailer hooked up to SMTP provider, but how to get custom email?

Thoughts? If you like I'll link you guys to the landing page for critique
>>
File: 20080904.gif (23KB, 600x259px) Image search: [Google]
20080904.gif
23KB, 600x259px
Trying to do some React app testing.

How do I transpile the JSX I'm requiring into my test files? I'm using webpack for my transpilation and bundling of the main application, I'm just unsure how to go about doing it for the test files.
>>
>>62404135
payment inside your webapp?
Use PayPal, Stripe or some other existing solution.
I wouldn't even start to think about building such a system from scratch.
Is your boss ok with a majority of your time going into reinventing security and making absolutely sure you follow all the endless regulations for online payments?
A can of worms that is.
>>
>>62404135
>Pray that PayPal has an API
>Use that API
>Add SQL injection and SSL certs via Let's Encrypt
>>
>>62404468
Facebook recommend Jest. I've found it pretty good for testing react.
>>
File: Tux.png (12KB, 265x314px) Image search: [Google]
Tux.png
12KB, 265x314px
idk if this is the right place to ask, but i need some help.

ive gotta write a seminar paper (or however you call it in english) on "network infrastructure based on open source"

i have no fucking clue what any of that means, but i was given linux and apache as an example of an OS and a server...whatever that means.

my question/request is - if anyone can tell me more examples of this, or a book that has some info on it, or a video series that explains things or anything... i would greatly appreciate it, since i cant for the life of me find anything useful on this subject (possibly because i have so little understanding of it, maybe its really easy to find idk)
>>
>>62405519
Open source means the code of the program is available for everyone to see.

A website is run from a computer. That computer is called a server.
An OS is the operating system of that computer. It can be Windows. It can also be Linux, which is a free and open source, unlike Windows.
Apache is the program you install on Windows or Linux that tells your computer to show a website when someone asks for it.
>>
>>62405519
Depending how you define "network"..

4chan is running nginx, an open source web server, on the open source Linux operating system. The backend is PHP, an open source language.

DNS and DHCP services powering networks are nearly always open source products.
>>
>>62405549
>>62405555

tnx for simplifying it. are there any other examples of open source os and server other than linux and apache? im guessing they are the most popular or commonly used...
>>
>>62405595

The various BSDs are all open source operating systems.

nginx and Apache are the only web servers with any sensible market share, but there's a tonne of obscure bullshit you could Google.

Depending on your definition of "server" you could mean just about anything. If you search for Rails or Express applications on Github you'll find a million various servers in Ruby or Javascript, it's a matter of what's worth caring about.

Mastadon has got a lot of attention lately as an open source Twitter alternative for example.
>>
>>62405384
>>62405450
obviously not from scratch. People are supposed to be able to pay via paypal, creditcard and remittance for using a service we provide.
>>
>>62405629
well since the course itself is called it-software engineering, im assuming the server thing is either very broad (like that rails thing) or is tied more to actual pc's/computer networks i guess...like LAN, WAN, WLAN and stuff like that? not sure if thats related at all or made any sense
>>
Will 2018 be the year of WebAssembly?
>>
>>62405595
various "awesome lists" are good to quickly find resources about certain topics.
https://github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
Like the other anon said, only a few of those have notable market-share so to speak.
The "File transfer/synchronization" category could be interesting. Lots of popular software in there like Owncloud/Nextcloud/Syncthing and so on.
>>
>>62405683

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!

No.
>>
>>62405629
>>62405679
>>62405705
>>62405549
>>62405555
well either way thank you all very much for giving me some direction to go by. greatly appreciate it.
>>
Can I set fractions of pixels?
How do I draw a point?
>>
>>62405890
Forgot to specify, I'm asking about SVG
>>
Fucking ampps I swear
>>
>tfw trying to understand something but it is taking longer than you expected it to take
>>
>>62406488
Install Xampp... or investigate about Docker
>>62406932
Look for other resources too, sometimes I had to find guides and books in my main language
>>
>>62406932
Sleep it off, take a shower, etc and try again later. Forcing it doesn't help at all.

>>62403776
>Literally every developer tutorial
This is a really retarded reason to do anything.
>>
>>62407064
>Install Xampp... or investigate about Docker
Thanks, I might as well try something else, I can't trust a stack that kill itself overnight without any changes on my part.
>>
Has anyone here ever been hired on https://www.crossover.com ?

Apparently they hire you for jobs that are 100% remote. I plan on applying for a .NET position they have open but I'm not sure if this is actually worth the time and effort (you will have to do a quiz, programming challenge, and skype interview).
>>
>>62407619
what's the point of using a middle man when most companies do that on their own?
>>
>>62407785
Not sure, that's why I am contemplating if it's a waste of time. After you finish all the challenges and interview they match you with an employer that needs your skills. To me it sounds like a better way to get hired remotely. I've been on a ton of sites and applied for hundreds of remote jobs but I haven't been hired in about 12 months of trying. I have a degree but I don't live in US or Europe, so this may be my best shot.
>>
>>62407619
Categories for Java, PHP, Ruby, but not JS?
>>
>>62366775
Is there a script/program to automatically make a HTML directory index page from a directory folder?
Google only shows windows stuff, which I'd prefer not to use if possible.
>>
>>62408309
write your own neat lil perl program my man!
>>
File: lrg.jpg (88KB, 500x656px) Image search: [Google]
lrg.jpg
88KB, 500x656px
You can all have $10 for free on DigitalOcean (enough to have a cheap server running for 2 months) with the referral link found on this page:

>https://github.com/hjwp/Book-TDD-Web-Dev-Python/blob/master/server-quickstart.md

This is coming from the book in pic related, which can also be read for free on the author's website: http://www.obeythetestinggoat.com/
>>
>>62408309
here, I wrote it just for you

import os

html = "<ul>"
for filename in os.listdir("."):
html += '<li><a href="{0}">{0}</a></li>'.format(filename)
html += "</ul>"

with open("index.html", "w") as out:
out.write(html)
>>
I've been working in construction for the past 10 years since leaving school i was kind of pushed into it due to me being a bit of a reprebate being young and naive and lack of local opportunities at the time, I lived in quite a rural area, web development was always a hobby of mine at the time and i've always kept it as a side hobby but i'm looking to get into the industry, my portfolio is pretty solid ( dav1d.surge.sh ) what do I put on my c.v /cover letter that can land me a job in the industry, that doesn't just say i've been working in construction for the past 10 years ?
>>
What have you shipped last month wdg???
>>
How do I safely call my API (say on a VPS or an EC2) from a static site (say hosted on an S3) ? for an opt-in form or whatever

Yeah I know I can just redirect them to Google Forms or whatever but I want to know if someone's creative enough

I've dug into Websockets/AJAX and shit but found no solution
>>
>>62409096
Authentication/Authorization and transfer data over https?
>>
Google Calendar command line tool for Node.js.

A star or any feedback would be appreciated!

https://github.com/toniov/gcal-cli
>>
I want to post an ad that says that I can offer full web stack development services. Should I work for free for first few clients since I have no portfolio or even github to show off?
I have no professional experience, only personal.
>>
>>62409580
why not start a portfolio and github
>>
>>62409835
I don't know what to make.
>>
>>62410044
What are you good at and what languages are you familiar with?
>>
>>62409316
>Authentication/Authorization
on a static site ? same problem
>>
File: evlhnk.gif (423KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
evlhnk.gif
423KB, 400x300px
Work has moved me onto a project using riot.js

For some retarded reason, I thought it'd be a good idea to make a browser game using a web app framework... so I'm going for it.

riot.js will be the only external code I use. Going to make a time-based RPG where you run a guild hire mercenaries to do jobs for you (in a way, a bit similar to Football Manager). It will be compiled 100% client-side. After I'm done with a browser version, I'm going to use NativeScript to try and turn it into an unholy mobile or desktop app

I've already gotten a bit into it, and have decided that even though this is a stupid idea and I could've used one of the million HTML5 game frameworks instead, I will plough ahead and actually finish a project for a change

Wish me luck
>>
>>62410332
What's your obsession with static?
If you're making calls to an API it means you'll either need to use some backend language, or JS script to get the data. Either way, do your auth when you make the calls.
>>
>>62410095
html,css,js,php,python,mysql,some asp.net
>>
>>62410741
Make some sort of CMS that manipulates data, like a hospital/school management web app, or find a free open-use API and mess around with it.
Use a different language for every project you decide to undertake. Do at least 1 full project every 2 weeks for the next 2 months. You'll have 4 projects to show for that time period.
>>
File: 1493796015612.jpg (78KB, 562x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1493796015612.jpg
78KB, 562x1000px
>>62409580
play around with some APIs
https://github.com/abhishekbanthia/Public-APIs/blob/master/README.md

>>62411018
>>62411018
>>
File: try.png (38KB, 1265x391px) Image search: [Google]
try.png
38KB, 1265x391px
>>62407890
I think those fall under UI/UX and Web Design
>>
im good in php, but recently im considering to just give up on it
which one is good after php?
>>
>>62411087
Java/Kotlin, Python, JavaScript/TypeScript and Go
>>
>>62411087

For WebDev, the two biggest languages are Java and C# (this one is regional though, not present everywhere), then Python. Then trailing far behind all the others. I'm doing Python and I love it, Java and C# are a fucking mess.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.