[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i bought a thinkpad and now i need to put linux on it. if i

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: linux.jpg (214KB, 998x679px) Image search: [Google]
linux.jpg
214KB, 998x679px
i bought a thinkpad and now i need to put linux on it.

if i were installing debian minimal, what's the best window manager/de? i want lightweight, fast and easy to rice
>>
Why would you just install the kernel? Did you mean GNU/Linux?
>>
>>62360203
Lubuntu is great
>>
>>62360203
i3
>>
>>62360203
Install Proxmox 5.0, not just Debian.
>>
>>62360356
The monolithic Linux operating system usually comes with some GNU programs if you install a full distro. Some distros even come with Steam preinstalled. That's all for convenience. If someone mentions a distro by name you can be sure he'll be getting those extra programs instead of just the operating system.
>>
Install Devuan
>>
>>62360203
WindowMaker or XFCE
>>
File: 1504995427071.png (142KB, 440x453px) Image search: [Google]
1504995427071.png
142KB, 440x453px
>>62360356
>using GNU as your userland
>>
install gentoo you fucking faggot
>>
File: 1497880514423.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1497880514423.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>62360773
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
File: Screenshot (20).png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (20).png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>62361060
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as GNU, is in fact, SystemD/GNU, or as I've recently taken to calling it, SystemD plus GNU. GNU is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning init system made useful by the SystemD corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the SystemD every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of SystemD which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically SystemD, developed by the NSA.

There really is a GNU, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of SystemD they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the SystemD operating system: the whole system is basically SystemD with GNU added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of SystemD!
>>
>>62361060
>Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
That's a fucking operating system.

>An operating system (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs. All computer programs, excluding firmware, require an operating system to function.
>>
>>62360667
This pretty much.
>>
>>62360203
i3 if you want a tiling wm
openbox if you don't

sudo apt install lightdm i3 openbox lxterminal
sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm start
>>
>>62360203
fluxbox is good
>>
DWM is as good as it gets
>>
>>62360203
mwm, windowmaker, openbox, icewm, jwl. for DE, lxde, xfce
>>
>>62360203
I'm running Openbox on Jessie and XFCE on stretch. Getting a third machine soon which should be Fedora or OenSuSe with Plasma.
>>
>>
>>62360420
This desu
>>
>>62361002
Lol
>>
DWM
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.