[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What societies make the best engineers and why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: 300px-Aggregat4-Schnitt-engl.jpg (24KB, 300x424px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Aggregat4-Schnitt-engl.jpg
24KB, 300x424px
Could be any country or subculture of a country(Silicon Valley for example).

What makes places like Germany and Japan and parts of the US to be so good at creating new technologies? You could write a book about all the innovations the Nazis pulled together at the height of WW2 their engineering power was overclocked basically. They made huge leaps in record time, how?
>>
American ingenuity
German engineering
Japanese refinement
>>
>>62359163
Fuck off /pol/. Anyone can be an engineer.
>>
>>62359163
the only answer is autism
>>
>>62359163
Money and/or environment.

The more money you throw at a problem, the faster it gets solved. A good environment helps the process, like for instance Bell Labs.
>>
>>62359163
India
Superpower 2020
>>
>>62359183
Dude fuck off to plebbit if you're so easily offended, trying to have srs discussion retard.

>>62359196
>The more money you throw at a problem, the faster it gets solved.

That is a wrong assumption. I agree with the environment part though.

>>62359201
Sure bud
>>
>>62359180
>ingenuity
I would guess germans have ingenuity when it comes to some ideas such as bombs and rockets but also some solutions related to mechanics like AWD systems in the 80s were ingenious. US also is leading in engineering power in a wide array of sectors.

Dont really know much about Japan other than they have a lot of emphasis on precision
>>
>>62359255
>That is a wrong assumption
Money are a necessary although not sufficient condition.
>>
>>62359340
Yes I agree funding is needed but just increasing the funding is not the end all be all solution to engineering problems.
>>
nazis were gonna die if they failed, thats a strong motivator.
>>
Considering Von Braun is the only man to this day that actually took Americans to the moon: German engineering.
>>
>>62359163
Western Europe and descendants of Western Europe in America.

>>62359180
American divergent thinking
German convergent thinking
Japanese learning and continuous improvement(read:kaizen)
>>
File: tdr ww2.webm (2MB, 521x353px) Image search: [Google]
tdr ww2.webm
2MB, 521x353px
>>62359335
>I would guess germans have ingenuity when it comes to some ideas such as bombs and rockets but also some solutions related to mechanics like AWD systems in the 80s were ingenious.

Its because most of the us innovations during ww2 arent well known
>>
File: 1024px-VB-6_Felix_Guided_Bomb.jpg (156KB, 1024x658px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-VB-6_Felix_Guided_Bomb.jpg
156KB, 1024x658px
>>62361237

US Infra Red guided bomb
>>
File: Korn et al Patent (US2436578).png (103KB, 2320x3408px) Image search: [Google]
Korn et al Patent (US2436578).png
103KB, 2320x3408px
>>62361249

notice the filling date...
>>
>>62359163
It's just money and priorities.

I'm pretty sure we'd cure most cancer or develop a fusion reactor in 5 years if we throw a trillion dollars at it.
>>
>>62359163
The societies that can wage the best wars make the best engineers. All engineering progress can be traced to a military application, and a trickle down occurs.

Whites and Asians wage the best wars, therefore we are the best engineers. The middle east was doing great until they fucked their shit up with Islam.

India honorable mention.
>>
>>62359183
Is this muh /pol/ shit some new ironic men's now? I see it in almost every thread. If everybody here with anything interesting did "fuck off to /pol/", the rest of 4chan would die. It would be /pol/ and /b/. Then somebody would have the bright idea of a "technology" board and a "business" board. And the cycle repeats.
>>
>>62361302
I mean Islam helped ME a ton for war, its got guiding principals for how to lead armies and siege cities and it made fearless fighters because of the whole fighters get insta heaven. If it wasnt for that they would have never conquered 90% of the places they did. Even hitler wrote to this.

Also how is India an honorable mention?
>>
>>62359163
Because humans only advance when they are going to kill each other
>>
>>62361277
>Cure cancer with a trillion dollars

Why do people actually think that's how it works?
>>
>>62361372
If this is actually true that means a society would have to be perpetually at war in order to advance. Which the US or Germany or Japan isn't.
>>
>>62359163
fSociety!
>>
>>62359335
>but also some solutions related to mechanics like AWD systems in the 80s were ingenious
Audi AWD systems use Tosen differentials, though, which were an American invention.
>>
>>62361372
War accelerates the application of existing theories into working prototypes, but it also mostly halts the development of new theoretical technology. So in short term, war is good for tech, but contracted conflict will stall advancement, even ignoring the societal burden of all the death and destruction.
>>
>>62359335
Is America the chinks of Germany?
>>
>>62361302
The middle east was a handful of wandering nomads until Islam helped them build the most powerful empires in the world.
>>
>>62359163
>What makes ... parts of the US to be so good at creating new technologies?
Having big monies to suck out best minds of the world.
>>
Indians make the best engineers. Google and Microsoft are run by Indians. Americans need to import Indian engineers because American engineers are not good enough. Jai HInd.
>>
File: we_are_ze_best.png (95KB, 1194x446px) Image search: [Google]
we_are_ze_best.png
95KB, 1194x446px
>>62359163

>What makes places like Germany and Japan and parts of the US to be so good at creating new technologies?

German here.
There are a couple of reasons:

-The work moral. Since Luther we have this Protestant view of "Life is hard, you are only as good as the work you do".

-The absence of humor. Germans are good with machines, because they are accurate, conscientious and like overthinking things. No time for silly feeling.

-The bad weather. Unlike southern Europe we have no nice beaches to waste our life with things like "fun", "party" and "enjoying life" (yuck!). Our definition of fun is drinking a lot of beer after a hard day of work.

-We constantly balance between hubris and a huge inferiority complex. France has the "je ne sais quoi", italy has the "dolce vita", I bet spain has something similar. We Germans have nothing. We are the assholes of world history, we played a major role in every bigger European war. Yet we couldn't even manage to have colonies, like every other European country (even silly portugal, lel). We are not even one country, we are more like a bunch of countries forced into one since centuries. We are the secret leader of Europe and yet nobody takes us seriously and everyone hates us. Our military is a joke. We are trying to get the a-bomb since 1939, but couldn't do it. Even poor Pakistan has the a-bomb. We don't have the a-bomb. Great job Hitler, sending all great scientists to the US or UK because having problems with their heritage, you cunt!

"Life is hard, you are only as good as the work you do.."
>>
>>62361530
mr.robot shill
>>
>>62363016
this was a thoroughly enjoyable read.
>>
>>62361378
Perhaps because some of us are former researchers, knowing full well how lack of funding holds back progress. It is not just about salaries, though keeping people would help. IT is also about equipment that needs replacement and would provide benefit for years.

The nuclear weapons programme and the space race both demonstrate what happens when money is no objection.
>>
>>62363261
Death and a trip to the moon after which never to return ?
>>
>>62359163
You can also make an encyclopedia about how Nazi germany's engineering fucked up.

And books about what cool and difficult shit got done in Switzerland, Sweden or China or S.Korea this year.

It wasn't that way 100 years ago, but increasingly many places have well educated well motivated healthy experienced people with access to all the resources and gear needed to develop something fancy.
>>
>>62363016
>Germans are good with machines, because they are accurate, conscientious and like overthinking things.
So you are the robots?
>>
>>62363016
> no colonies
africa?

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Kolonien
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.