[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TESLA WIRELESSLY UNLOCKS FLORIDA CARS RANGE TO HELP EVACUATE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_0949.png (722KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0949.png
722KB, 3840x2160px
How is there no thread about this yet?
>Wondering how that’s even possible?
>Up until a few months ago, Tesla sold a 60kWh version of its Model S and Model X vehicles — but the battery in those cars was actually rated at 75kWh. The thinking: Tesla could offer a more affordable 60kWh version to those who didn’t need the full range of the 75kWh battery — but to keep things simple, they’d just use the same 75kWh battery and lock it on the software side. If 60kWh buyers found they needed more range and wanted to upgrade later, they could… or if Tesla wanted to suddenly bestow owners with some extra range in case of an emergency, they could.
>>
>>62355190
>electric cars are a ploy to take your real cars away and make you impotent and controlled good goyim
duh.
>>
>I'll save your life, goy, but you better buy your kids a Tesla after this
>>
>Alas, the upgrade won’t stick around forever — Tesla generally charges at least $5,000 for the permanent equivalent. Members on the Tesla Motors Club fan forum report that the temporary update will be reversed on September 16th
Stallman was right again
>>
>>62355190
nuclear + electrolysis = hydrogen should be (or have been) the future but the jews and libruls fucked everything up
>>
>>62355346
>muh Jews
>muh liberals
Trump voters cried to high Heaven for muh coal jobs
>>
>>62355190
Tesla worker here.
The cars can deal with the full range, however the 60kWh has different hardware that would get damaged if the "upgrade" goes permanent.

When an user pays for the permanent unlock a new chip it's placed on the car and the software gets modified, the whole car gets serviced for free and any repair gets covered into the fee.

A permanent unlock without the chip would kill your car and potentially cause a fire.
>>
>>62355379
whats your point? jews are still responsible. American voters have been indoctrinated by jews since the inception of america itself. Democrat or republican they are jew puppets
>>
>>62355408
so its a drm chip, if it burns out the car becomes unusable, the only way to avoid this is to install new chip with updated software
>>
>>62355422
>da joos forced me to vote for trump
Wow that is next level retardedness. Have you ever met a single one of these ebil liberals you are crying about that doesn't support the development of clean and renewable energy?
>>>/pol/
>>
>>62355408
>we made the cheaper version intentionally shittier to avoid people jailbreaking the identical battery
bravo
>>
>>62355477
>support clean energy
>support and buy tesla
pick one
>>
Do you think the government would have given you that extra milage? No.
>>
>>62355497
Indeed.

That's how consumer products tiers work.
>>
>How is there no thread about this yet?

There's already been two threads about it you fucking retard. Lrn2search, shit for brains.
>>
>>62355497

>the less capable components cost less

no shit
>>
>>62355408

>We only placed limits on the battery because we artificially limited the other hardware so your car will fail and/or explode if you try to remove the battery limitations without paying us.

Oh thanks that makes it better
>>
>>62355408
So does this chip cost $5000 or are you an apologetic jew?
>>
>>62355615
It's not manufacturing cost, I bet it was more expensive to put the limiting chip there to begin with.
>>
>>62355615
How did you get that from his post? They intentionally fucked with the SAME hardware they sold for cheaper to make it less capable.
>>
>>62355190
All the electric cars' batteries are lock at slightly 80-90% depending on the models/brands to keep the batteries lifespan healthy and for obvious safety reasons in case you overcharge accidentally overcharged the batteries and burn down your car, there is a way to mod the batteries to 95% or 100% yourself but there is an obvious risk.
>>
>>62355652
Not our fault. Do you hate a smartphone company for giving you the choose of 32gb/64gb internal storage option?

>>62355666
Enough to make a profit while giving the clients enough access to unlocking the feature.

Take in mind that any repair and service it's covered under the price, so you are pretty much getting a brand new car for the unlock fee
>>
>>62355652

it sounds more like it's just a cheaper product to begin with, and trying to hack it yourself would ultimately put yourself and others in danger

what you are complaining about it analogous to saying that it was your laptop manufacturer's fault for not allowing you to overclock your CPU to dangerous levels because they "artificially limited the other hardware" in it
>>
>>62355190
more importantly how the fuck can they even do that?
are they actually providing the cars with a constant mobile connection to the internet?
>>
>>62355726
>Do you hate a smartphone company for giving you the choose of 32gb/64gb internal storage option?
if they stick 64gb of internal storage inside and lock it down via software than yes
>>
>>62355726
Phones don't come with 64gb storage locked to 32gb, they are different chips with different manufacturing costs. Yes the upgrade is overpriced but that's a terrible analogy.
>>
>>62355770
All cars are connected to our servers and the chips call home everytime you turn the car on to make a quick checkup. If something it's wrong with your car the sensors are diagnosed and you are informed.
>>
stallman is always right
>>
>>62355810
>All cars are connected to our servers
Via what?
>>
>drive car to Florida
>get upgrade
>tape tinfoil around the car to block the telemetry connection
>don't get downgraded again
>>
>>62355877
>car lacks additional chip that actually lets this temporary upgrade not eventually damage the car
>car breaks down
Good idea
>>
>>62355807
Read again, since you seem a bit slow.
You need a new chip to get the "High end" charge.
Your "Low end" chip can't deal with the "High end" charge without damaging the software.

We unlocked the charge for a week since there's no irreversible damage, however the hardware can't deal with his batery working at 100% without compromising security measures.

High end batteries are 85kWh working at 75kWh.

Low end batteries are 75kWh working at 65kWh.

Think about it as running a processor overclocked all day until it dies.

>>62355877
The car won't turn on if it can't call home.

>>62355864
Not wifi :)
>>
>>62355810
This reminds me of that time Tesla debunked a review shitting on the car by showing the reviewers ran loops to drain the battery.
Normies didn't bother questioning why Tesla even had personally identifiable and detailed data about a car's usage, this is a huge fucking privacy breach.
>>
>>62355920
>without damaging the software
Can you put one of your coworkers who isn't retarded on the line instead? Thanks
>>
>>62355920
>car wont turn on if it can call home
Why would anyone want to buy something like this?
>>
>>62355968
I'm not American sorry, you will be surprised to know that your fellow American engineers are retarded
>>
>>62355920
Is there any reason why the low end chip even exists other than working as a physical DRM?
>>
>>62355978
Oh I see. You're a subhuman with no idea what he's talking about, but when called out on his nonsense just suddenly starts insulting Americans out of pent up jealousy.
>>
>>62355346
Electrolysis as it stands at the highest level of efficiency achieved is a 13% gross return. It hasn't been scaled yet. Hybridization between gasoline/diesel and hydrogen is the only real option, perhaps even with an electric traction motor. This is all too expensive though.
>>
>>62356003
Are you mad? Such a shame that even Ellon hates americans.

>>62355990
Cheaper since they aren't so hard to achieve. Think about them as i5 that failled as i7 and some parts got modified to "underperform".
>>
File: scum.jpg (73KB, 600x392px) Image search: [Google]
scum.jpg
73KB, 600x392px
>>62355920
this is such bull

I would understand if they needed to upgrade actual components like capacitors or actual batteries, but this chip is just a computer chip, literally reflash it

tesla are scum, if it can be upgraded for a week using existing chip then then clearly there is no problem with it
>>
>>62356049
$5000 cheaper?
>>
>>62356059
>>62356065
The $5000 fee includes a full car diagnostic, any repair needed gets covered without any extra fee including things as paint jobs or dents + the unlocked battery.

So yeah, it's a fair price.
>>
>>62355190
>How is there no thread about this yet?
There have been at least 5
>>
File: trash.jpg (138KB, 1572x238px) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
138KB, 1572x238px
>>62355920
I don't think you understand electricity very well. kWh is the measure of stored energy, unlocking the extra 10kWh doesn't suddenly cause a power flood. The only reason they would have the 10kWh locked is over discharging which stands to permanently damage the battery depending on how long it's left undercharged.
>>
>>62355247
Unironically this. You are stupid to think that more complex cars are to your benefit. My grandfathers Datsun has 500,000 miles and 40 years on it and still gets 40mpg also is capable of running without electronics.
>>
>>62356126
That's what i said?
>>
>>62356098
How thicc can you be?
Does the 5000$ fee include new larger capacity/additional batteries?
If yes then it's fair.
If not then it's crippleware.
>>
>>62356009
we are talking about the planet here also US goverment spent trillions on foreign wars and foreign oil, instead they could have designed better, safer, more efficient nuclear reactors. Low efficiency of electrolysis is not an issue when you have trillions worth of nuclear power plants and unlimited electricity, also think about the jobs and industry this kind of investment would have created.
Instead all that money has been spent on shit.
>>
>>62355477
No you are retarded clean means the mess is sent down the line to pollute somewhere else. Renewable is also dumb because of the mountain loads of precious metals used in lithium batteries and all the pollution in the harvesting. Typical liberal believing there are free lunches.
>>
>>62356149
Your opinion doesn't really matter, not like you can afford one of our cars anyway.

If you can't afford a tesla why even complain about $5k?
>>
>>62355920
>The car won't turn on if it can't call home.
Wow kill yourself. What happens if there is an outage? Does the car maintain a constant connection? Will it turn off in the middle of the road?
>>
>>62356143
No, you implied it was necessary to install hardware to prevent damage, it's not necessary at all. You could leave the batteries unlocked and suffer zero damage without exchanging anything whatsoever, the only caveat being responsible monitoring and maintenance of the batteries on the end user's side.
>>
>>62356183
There's not an outrage, The chip would be connected unless you are 50 meters under water so don't worry, your car won't turn off randomly.
>>
>>62356173
Isn't it supposed to be an affordable car?
Turns out you are just nickle and diming your customers with car DLC which for all intents and purposes is nothing but a fake "upgrade" that simply unlocks what is already available in the car.
>>
>>62356225
Just pirate the DLC if you want.

Oh, wait.. We have satellites all over the word connected to your car recording your usage.
>>
>>62355190
>TESLA WIRELESSLY UNLOCKS
wew, so they as easily could literally block cars from their "owners"

stallmann was right
>>
>>62356135
Yeah but it's powered by gasoline aka "the liquid Jew" so it's shit senpai
>>
>>62355944
>tfw the privacy conscious GPL-compliant open source linux car will become reality in 20 years
>>
>>62355408
if someone's buying a 90k car how can't they include some chip? Surely it isn't that expensive
>>
>2020
>make a shitpost about lennart poettering
>next day your gnu/linux/systemd car mysteriously drives off a cliff
a-atleast it's open source
>>
>>62356358
The drm chip costs $5000
>>
>>62356372
>living near cliffs
>>
>>62355422
Do /pol/tards have any idea how pathetic and weak their stories make whitey sound? Why are whites such low-IQ gullible sheep (according to you) that they let Jews conquer them without a fight? Some "master race" lmao.
>>
>>62356400
average whitey is pathetic, weak and gullible, we tried fighting in 1940 and lost, but we will not lose the next war
>>
>>62356477
>he thinks the Reich will rise again
Where? In Liberal Europe where people still vote overwhelmingly for multicultural policies? Or in 56%land where you're soon to be outnumbered anyway?

You fags are so delusional, it's honestly sad. Try getting off the computer and stepping outside for once
>>
>>62355190
All Teslas have a cell modem in them. They collect all kinds of data, where you drive, how fast you go, how much you deplete the battery before you refill it, etc. They also run Linux for the in-car systems. Some guy was able to hack into his Tesla and gather a bunch of information on what they were doing.
>>
>>62356135
Your grandfather's 40 year old Datsun is probably terrible emissions-wise, and you will suffer significantly more injury if you ever crash into anything, or anyone crashes into you.
>>
people who actually paid to be part of Bob Page's botnet of self-driving cars deserve it
>>
>>62356569

>emissions-wise

fuck off Al-gore seriously, you're STILL trying to push carbon taxes?
>>
Maybe I'm wrong but the (allegedly) Tesla worker said that invovles some change in hardware AND software beside some services.

I mean, it doesn't look like he's chaning the BIOS of the bateries (as example). It sounds to me as it involves some more bigger changes.
>>
>>62356214
No nigger I mean a power outage at Tesla. Or if any component on your end fails.
>>
>>62356931
wasnt there a article about it not being able to start because the car was in a place that did not have phone signal
>>
>>62356653
Having fresh air is so terrible, right?
>>
>>62355317
I adore this man.
>>
>>62357004

If you need a car to move inside a city there's already something wrong
>>
File: 1504865141812.jpg (31KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1504865141812.jpg
31KB, 720x960px
>>62355408
What you just said literally makes no sense. There's no explanation to this other than tesla being greedy kikes.
>>
>>62356246
Well fuck that, never getting a Tesla or any electric car probably, given most, if not all of them built now or in the future will track their drivers... probably selling data too.
>>
>>62357250
>I'm too dumb to understand nuance so I have to break down the entire world into dualistic concepts
>>
>>62356317
what?
>>
>>62356931
Are you serious? Do you not understand the concept of redundancy at all? It applies to parts and servers. Redundancy for servers is literally as easy as making an Amazon account
>>
I use a Tesla to do criminal activities
>>
>>62357441
Answer the question. If the car loses a connection to your server does the car stop?
>>
>>62357307
New OBD standard is going to have tracking and a black box. Welcome to 1984.
>>
File: peypey.jpg (38KB, 600x568px) Image search: [Google]
peypey.jpg
38KB, 600x568px
>>62357516

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT-qjyJKtzU
>>
>>62357523
Buying a fucking old ass car then. Just go back as far as I can that's functional but without any bullshit. Or I'll just rip it out.
>>
>>62356135
My uncle has a 1980 Toyota Tercel. Still runs and it gets around 30 MPG.
>>
>>62357441

nigger speak up

is Tesla botnet or not?
>>
>>62356135
I heard newer gas powered cars are much more reliable then older ones though, how much maintenance did he do to it over the years?
>>
And to think I almost bought one of these electric Jewmobiles.
>>
>>62357516
Nope. This isn't even true for services like ReachNow and Car2Go
>>
>>62356135
>>62355247
It's not long before they will be rooted and modified.
>>
>>62357818

>Implying Tesla didn't make you sign an NDA and install a backdoor on all your devices and PCs

fuck off nigger
>>
>>62355190
>car with everything connected to a computer that's remotely accessible by manufacturer
>>Wondering how that’s even possible?
You can't be this retarded, I just don't believe it.
>>
>>62356375
why?
>>
>>62357558
Don't get into a wreck, insurance would undoubtedly be down your throat in an instant for disabling safety/security features.
>>
>>62355190
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_discrimination
>>
>>62358169
>ctrl-f discrimination
>1 of 1 match
I can't believe I'm the only person in this thread who knows what this practice is called.
>>
>>62358194
Because that's not what's happening.
>>
>>62356135
Might as well ride a bicycle if you're fine with your car hitting 40 mph
>>
>>62356214
I would like to remind you there is such a thing as tunnels under rivers
>>
>>62357441
>he thinks redundancy is a hard guarantee that nothing will ever go down entirely
get your nose out of your textbooks and into the real world
>>
>>62358541
You obviously don't know how cars work, do you?
>>
>>62358194
>>62358169
Kill yourself, you samefagging fucktard.
>>
>>62355408
So its like a Playstation 2 Chip.
Just need to install a alternative one and shazam.
>>
>>62355190
So they could change the charge to anything remotely, even 0? Interesting
>>
>>62358111
Because tesla can lock features and performance behind software/hardware drm locks and $5000 is what they determined that the market would be willing to pay to unlock those features

It's 2017. Just because you bought something doesn't mean you actually get the full product anymore.

$60 videogame but $250 in DLC
>>
>buy electric car
>dlc, remotely controlled, not really yours

>buy regular car
>actually yours to do with as you please

no contest
>>
>>62359134
>tfw regular cars are computerized these days as well
>>
>on-car DLC

This is the future we chose.
>>
>>62358277
It's exactly what's happening. Selling the same product at two different price points to take advantage of two different market segments. It's classic price discrimination. A standard business practice by the way.

>>62358613
>implying I was pretending to be two different people
>>
>>62359134
But if I get a regular ICE car my latte-sippy faggy tech coworkers won't think I'm nearly as hip! Without their social approval, what sort of man would I be???
>>
>>62356135
>a simple electric motor is 'more complex'
The Japanese had 600HP electric motors in their submarines in 1940. Electric is more efficient, less toxic, and SIMPLER than ICE technology. The only reason it wasn't used previously was lack of sufficient battery technology.
>>
>>62357558
Just get a motorbike, they seems to avoid all that bull shit for the most part.
>>
>>62355408
>when an user

LMAO. I see they hire retards at tesla.
>>
>>62357436
faggot
>>
>>62355190
More like giving a 20% margin of error.
>>
>>62356169
Not him. Renewable and sustainable are not 'be all and end all's' but it's worth pursuing. It's true that using electricity just puts the polution somewhere else but the efficiency is far greater you have to admit. Plus there is the potential for decentralizing the grid more with solar. The grid is an infrastructure we already have. Also do not ignore new tech in capacitor chemistry. They are not batteries so much as capacitors but discharge at a rate equal to or better than li-ion. These things are at our doorstep and need development and marketing. Just because something does not offer the 'perfect' solution doesn't mean we shouldn't try to do better. Don't hate people you don't know just because of the extreme of a particular ideology. Anyone who hates due to ideology is just a tool used by those with very deep pockets and roots. Divide and conquer is an old game.
>>
>>62359533
>what is energy density
Gee, I wonder how the japanese stored energy to charge those batteries and run those motors
>>
What's wrong with this?
Intel and AMD do the same with their CPUs
Nvidia and AMD do the same with their GPUs
SSD and HDD manufacturers do the same
>>
>>62359867
You've been conditioned by advancement in transistor miniaturization to expect technology in general to advance incredibly rapidly in only a few short years. But that's not how the real world works. Advances in battery and capacitor tech is going to continue at it's slow but reasonably steady pace.
>>
>>62355408
>however the 60kWh has different hardware that would get damaged if the "upgrade" goes permanent.
kek, sure thing
>>
>>62359902
It's always amusing to hear the blatant lies that employees will earnestly believe because they WANT to believe their employer would be honest with them.
>>
>>62359887
Two wrongs don't make a right and Intel is the only one you mentioned who actually sells codes to unlock power that is already available in the CPU.
>>
>>62359872
Gee, I wonder how oil is extracted and then refined into gasoline!?

Obviously there's a process for generating electricity. What does that have to do with electric propulsion being simpler?
>>
>>62359816
explain.
>>
>car runs on Loonix
lmao just jailbreak your car nigga
>>
>>62355408
>Tesla worker here.
Nice "union" you got there. :^)
>>
>>62355190
This is for multiple skus of software and hardware are often created. They are simply the same items with parts locked down or cut out.
>>
>>62357049
Tell us all how we can choose where we get born.
>>
File: elon-musk-zuckerberg.jpg (72KB, 980x490px) Image search: [Google]
elon-musk-zuckerberg.jpg
72KB, 980x490px
>>62355190
By the way, did you guys know that the Tesla CEO has been constantly warning about the dangers of driverless vehicles and about the use of artificial intelligence in general (including in the military)?

I mean, the guy is in charge of a company that sells electric cars, if he is warning people about stuff like this i would take him seriously.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/896169801277517824

He is even going to A.I. / robotics conferences and events to talk about this.

Cuck Zuckerberg from facebook is trying to discredit what he is says, even called it "fear-mongering", so you can bet the Tesla guy is onto something and they want to make his warnings seem like bullshit.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2017/07/24/elon-musk-artificial-intelligence-risk-zuckerberg.html
>>
>>62361911
I would bet that you and muskie are a couple of fucking retards.
>>
>>62355497
lots of manufacturers do what you think is intentionally making shittier versions. when CPUs come off the line, the yield isn't 100%, and some cores won't work. so they gimp it and sell it as a lower end unit that's supposed to have fewer cores.

also, this entire thread seems to be full of people who were born yesterday. are you all this fucking naive and stupid?
>>
>>62361911
>I mean, the guy is in charge of a company that sells electric cars, if he is warning people about stuff like this i would take him seriously.
why? electric cars don't involve AI. you've neglected to highlight the part that actually does give him credibility: that they're working on SELF-DRIVING cars. but facebook has been running a thriving AI lab for years in new york. they publish AI research and everything.

i'm sick of sycophants pointing to Elon Musk like he's some all-knowing god. he's smart, but he hasn't sufficiently justified the frothing panic that he's been calling for all these years
>>
>>62355190
This is done for the sake of longevity of the batteries. You wouldn't want to buy new electronic car if it had 5months worth of batteries
>>
>>62355190
so that time when your 60kw car stranded you was totally avoidable

lol get fucked
>>
>>62361977
you're right that they cycle the use a bit so that the cells that die can be replaced on the spot by the extra cells that otherwise weren't being used, but the exaggeration that the batteries would be depleted in 5 months is so stupid that it undercuts the post.

if you can't make the point with the facts, don't pepper in bullshit.
>>
>>62361978
I don't remember that time my car stranded me. Can you tell me about it?
>>
>>62355408
>The cars can deal with the full range, however the 60kWh has different hardware that would get damaged if the "upgrade" goes permanent.
want to post proof of working for Telsa because that sounds like BS,
the entire point of using the same battery was to save on costs on not having multiple parts for various trims, having different hardware would directly go against that.

Also why would then Telsa offer it as an upgrade later one if it knew it would damage the cars in some manner ?
>>
>>62355920
>High end batteries are 85kWh working at 75kWh.
>Low end batteries are 75kWh working at 65kWh.

If that were true then telsa would be selling upgrades to the 75kWh owners as well, but they don't because there is no super secret battery capacity they are holding back.
>>
>>62362015
he's lying. people have discussed this in open, non-anonymous forums already. it's just cheaper for tesla to make a single model and then sell the upgrade such that if you wanted to bump up to 75kwh you could do that without having to replace the whole damn car.

but if you have the lower capacity option, it'll reserve the other 15k so that when cell capacity degrades, it can incorporate those as needed to continue to give you 60kwh
>>
>say something Musk dislikes on the internet, like badmouthing the vacuum monorail
>gets your battery remotely limited to 20kWh.
>>
>>62361991
Can I salt in bullshit?
>>
>>62362056
that's never happened, and the general idea of what's happening now isn't even close to what's happening.

the fear you're suggesting is like saying that if you badmouth GM they'll brick your car via the onstar network.
>>
>>62362071
i mean if you've been watching your sodium intake then sure.
>>
>>62362072
Why not?
Having a computer on your fucking car you can't actually control is not exactly the brightest idea.
>>
>>62362072
yeah totally nothing like that ever happened before..

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/03/elon-musk-blogger-tesla-motors-model-x

>A Californian venture capitalist had his Tesla Motors Model X order cancelled after he wrote about a badly run launch event
>>
>>62362121
do you honestly need us to discuss the differences between canceling a person's pre-order and bricking a person's car?

>>62362100
that's not the point you made. i'm not going to run around chasing you as you move the goalpost.
>>
>>62362132
its on the same scale of things.

Its not hard to imagine Musk might brick (offering you a refund of course) your car after you talk shit about it

>well since you hate the car so much, we have disabled it so you don't have the drive the "death trap"
>please contact your local dealer for a full refund and to make arrangements for return of the car
>>
>>62362160
>its on the same scale of things.
no, it's not. and this is why people don't take you seriously. you take a reasonable point - that not having full control of your car's computer means maintenance is fundamentally in the dealer's hands, and you can neither do any work yourself nor shop around for a better deal - and instead of making that point, you take it to an extreme that any reasonable person would know is retarded and hyperbolic.

and most people will just ignore you, because raising fears that elon musk is personally going to brick your car is so fucking stupid that there's no telling at the outset just where your delusion starts, and most people don't want to engage with an idiot and risk losing the rest of their day trying to debug your thought process.
>>
>>62356009
>Electrolysis as it stands at the highest level of efficiency achieved is a 13% gross return.
Heat the water to just below it's critical point and then do it.
Also the low conversion isn't an issue only the final end price. A nuclear reactor that isn't limited to baseload production only would have nothing else to do at night. May as well make hydrogen for combining with carbon to make hydrocarbons.
>>
>>62355190
car companies sell cars with the same engine and reduced horsepower

shit literally everyone does that
look at ferrari they created a monster of an engine with enzo and they are literally using the engine till today the only true addition to it was the KERS on laferrari..
>>
>>62355190
You have made an mistake anon. The kind of person who sees a problem with this would never buy a Tesla. Tesla owners will hail that Tesla dick going that little bit deeper.
>>
>>62355652
This is how literally every product works. Do you think Intel and AMD really have a reason to have low end CPUs?
>>
>>62362219
Again, that 13% was a small scale experiment and the research team admitted that they weren't sure it would scale well. The cost of the components was astronomically high as well, and they were looking into effective substitutes for the more costly materials, perhaps the bi-metal electrode from Delaware might be realized. That doesn't necessarily mean it will scale. And throwing more energy at it will inevitably decrease it's efficiency even if it does increase volume potential. That said if it's effectively waste energy it's a fine means for disposal. At that point though, you may as well be charging batteries anyway.
>>
>>62362313
Yeah, OEMs and target markets. The 7700 and the 7700k are binned differently (they should be, anyways) meaning the 7700k is guaranteed to be of higher quality in accordance with Intel's specifications for the k-class CPUs. Not unlike the 1700 compared to the 1700x. They also come with effectively different warranties being that they're clocked higher from the factory. Then there are lower end chips which are for people running low end software or need a budget build. OEMs likewise targeting the budget market to the enthusiast/professional/HEDT markets. Then there are server chips, low power chips, x86 chips all for different use cases.

They're not fabbing silicon for shits and giggles, they're doing it because there is a demand for it and they can provide for that demand one way or another.

>>62362236
Actually no. With each iteration of every production engine there are incremental improvements, conversely there are different specifications. Certain cars are equipped with different cams to produce more or less aggressive torque curves (truck 454 v. Corvette 454) and different intake/exhaust/fuel rail/internals. They don't deliberately downtune engines for inefficiency, they tune engines for different purposes. This isn't the argument though, they're basically cutting out 10kWh to try to prevent consumers from over discharging the batteries and damaging them.

They also charge $5000 for what equates to a reflash.
>>
>>62362502
>They don't deliberately downtune engines for inefficiency
This does sometimes happen though. Volvo's old naturally aspirated 2.4 20v engine came in 140hp and 170hp versions, both were physically identical and the only difference was the engine map restricting the throttle body from opening all the way. You could reflash it to the 170hp model extremely easily with no ill effects. Granted, it is pretty uncommon and >>62362236 is just being dumb.
>>
>>62355190
>cover antenna with copper mesh
>free upgrade
?????
profit.
>>
>>62355247
>>62355288
but there was a fuel shortage.
no gas, no drive.
>>
>>62355920
>Think about it as running a processor overclocked all day until it dies.
Except it's a battery. So basically, the minimum battery level is made higher so you don't deep discharge the battery and damage it. So basically, it's a feature that is entirely fucking normal and exists everywhere.

Now why would anyone pay extra to fucking ruin a battery is beyond me. Unless they absolutely need to, in which case, it's easier to charge people for damaged batteries.
>>
>>62356246

What are you gonna do? Invalidate my warranty?
>>
>car runs out of battery
>buy our range extender DLC goy, only 100€ and you can drive home
>>
Why is there still no free as in freedom electric car?
>>
>>62355379
>trump
>not a jew
>>
>>62355190
>could just make batteries more modular, with a car's battery being composed of multiple smaller battery packs holding, say 15kWh
>doesn't increase the cost too much per vehicle
>and on the plus side, if you want a 60kWh you can get exactly that, instead of an unusable and heavy extra 15kWh
>>
>>62361911
All of Musk's convictions about AI come out of popular science books he read while on long flights. He has the same resources to understand as /g/, but is maybe a little less smart than some around here.
>>
File: 1480883476005.jpg (78KB, 1080x608px) Image search: [Google]
1480883476005.jpg
78KB, 1080x608px
>mfw this is simply the profit-chasing logic of capitalism
>mfw retards think an ethnic group is to blame for this
>>
>>62360982
Gas, oil and petroleum industries are mostly owned by jews you get jew'd either way but when you use the older and less evil jewish gadget, you don't get BOTNET'd cuz it doesn't have muh electronics. Oh-kay?
>>
>>62355190
Who would buy a Tesla? Way too pricey for what they are.

I'm picking up a Honda Fit this weekend.
>>
>>62358541
Epic argument there buddy

Come back again in 40 years maybe that one is gonna be better
>>
File: file.png (9KB, 845x140px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
9KB, 845x140px
>-7.61% profit marign
WTF!?

>https://www.forbes.com/sites/panosmourdoukoutas/2017/09/10/nissan-and-bmw-are-jumping-into-the-ev-market-and-thats-good-news-for-tesla/#26ab94fa4685
>>
File: yourdumb.jpg (8KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
yourdumb.jpg
8KB, 250x238px
>>62355346
>tech discussion board
>fucking jews we should have nuclear + electrolysis = hydrogen cars damn kikes
>doesn't understand hydrogen has worse energy density than electric and is a greater fire hazard
>electrolysis is also inefficient
>muh hydrogen meme cars
>doesn't think nuclear+electric or better yet nuclear+synthesized hydrocarbon
>it's a tech discussion board
>hydrogen cars fucken kikes
nu/g/ everyone

>>62362219
>Heat the water to just below it's critical point and then do it.
no you fucking retard heating water with electric flow is almost 100% efficient. Heating water has fucking nothing to do with electrolysis FUCK

retard board
>>
>>62355477
>ebil liberals destroyed the cleanest source of energy 40 years ago
>ebil liberals support clean and """"renewable"""" energy
>>
>>62355190
more reason to unlock your car and run a custom OS. I'm going to request TempleCarOS so Jesus can take the wheel.
>>
>>62364528
They take billions in government grants, elon is brilliant scam artist.
>>
File: 1504605342817.jpg (42KB, 480x542px) Image search: [Google]
1504605342817.jpg
42KB, 480x542px
>>62355920
>the car won't turn on if it can't call home
THE FUTURE WE CHOSE
>>
>>62355190
it's probably a reserve feature. so in case you run out of power you have a small reserve to get back home or to a charging spot.
>>
>>62366968
nope, it's the permanent upgrade you pay $5000 for, this has already been discussed at length
>>
>>62355693
No, it's different hardware he said.
>>
File: motor.webm (1MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
motor.webm
1MB, 720x405px
>electric cars
>safe
>>
>>62355726
Except SD cards exist. Granted max capacity is limited to the os
>>
>>62355190

there's a reason why Blackberry is on full force trying to secure "connected cars" and all other connected shit in enterprise and gave up designing mobile phones. The majority of the cars use QNX based infotainment systems and if someone managed to break into it, Blackberry would lose all credibility. I think that cherokee -it was a white one i think- that was hacked remotely last year or so was running a QNX system and Blackberry was all like "it has nothing to do with our software, believe us guise"

it is all nice and fun watching teslas beat lambos in drag races until we see some news of people losing control of their cars and crashing because of "lol haaaxx".
>>
>>62357746
Obviously it has a camera to see if you're asleep
>>
>>62355422
replace jews with capitalism and you're onto something bucko
>>
>>62367352
this is a well documented study that addresses realistic concerns
>>
File: 1504883286782.jpg (78KB, 720x539px) Image search: [Google]
1504883286782.jpg
78KB, 720x539px
>>62356528
Have fun living in your 3rd world shithole once stupid whitey sees beyond a doubt that other races are bad for us and we do not owe you shit, we will secede and have our white homelands with the newest tech, clean water. Traitors will be hanged soon. Screencap this
Thread posts: 186
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.