[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't Linux users define Linux?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: atheism_girl.gif (1000KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
atheism_girl.gif
1000KB, 500x375px
Why can't Linux users define Linux?
>>
>>62354400
What do you want?
>>
>>62354510
Answers.
>>
Of course we can! What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>62354535
To answer your question: They can. Linux is a kernel, a piece of software that communicates between systemsoftware and your hardware.
>>
>>62354400
>tfw no more screen time and being eternally literally who
>>
>>62354614
The only problem with this is that many people try to prove this fact wrong. Linux is a kernel and not an OS. A kernel cannot be an OS by itself. Just look at the definition of OS.
>>
>>62354687
I know, but nobody says otherwise. Some people just use Linux for both the kernel and distributions of software containing the kernel. That of course is incorrect but common practices (like calling a paper handkerchief a Tempo).
>>
>>62354687
Also names are not definitions.
>>
File: this kills your boner.jpg (16KB, 566x206px) Image search: [Google]
this kills your boner.jpg
16KB, 566x206px
>>62354400
Why can't OP stop sucking cocks?
>>
>>62354614
Actually, the Linux kernel is only part of the Linux operating system.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (83KB, 600x547px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
83KB, 600x547px
>>62355192
>>
>>62355270
nice filename
>>
>>62354400
So did MS pay gookmoot so they could shill their shitty FUD here?

All signs point to yes.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.