[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tesla unlocks Model S range via software update

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 9

File: zFcFOIs.jpg (114KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
zFcFOIs.jpg
114KB, 750x1334px
At least nvidia actually removed the missing 0.5 GB of RAM
>>
>>62350012
HURRICANE ESCAPE DLC
>>
>>62350031
DRIVE OR DIE
>>
>>62350012
>buy a $60k+ car
>it can only drive limited range based off the vehicle vendor's software that can be changed at any time

ah this is too good, the reality of remote shutdowns is now.
>>
>>62350012
Why is Tesla so generous? I don't see the other car companies giving their cars away for free.
>>
>>62350031
>>62350058
lol
>>
Everyone is so glad they did this, completely ignoring they can do the opposite as well.
>>
>>62350012
> Tesla unlocks Model S range via software update
Now build a Faraday cage around it to prevent downgrading.
>>
>>62350012
so tesla can make changes to your car just like that?
really makes my boop beep
>>
>>62350084
>generous
>only to have it taken away
>>
>>62350198
It says they're giving them the upgrade. Musk actually cares about his customers unlike other corporations.
>>
I cant wait until you can plash your own firmware and unlock the autobot mode
>>
is this like that intel shit about unlocking your cpu?
>>
>>62350271
Did you not look at OPs image at all ??

>Musk actually cares about his customers unlike other corporations
yeah like Ford and GM secretly hide features on your car so you can pay extra to unlock it later.

Too bad Musk seems to give little shits about his employees who make the cars.

Imagine if Tesla rolls out a 'free trial program' for its customers.
>oh hey, judging by the totally anonymous statistics we collect from our cars
>looks like you might benefit from extra mileage
>We have temporarily unlocked 15kWh in your Telsa
>please enjoy this extra range on us until Oct 2nd
>if you decide to buy this upgrade after the free trial is done, the cost is $5k
>>
>>62350271
>until September 16th
>>
File: 1482190400912.jpg (162KB, 1015x915px) Image search: [Google]
1482190400912.jpg
162KB, 1015x915px
>>62350012
>buying a car that someone else has crippled on purpose
>buying a car that someone else can track and control remotely
kek... Elon Musk cucks are the fucking worst.
>>
>>62350375
>>62350380
That's not the point that it's being taken away. Quit moving the goal posts. He's doing this only to be nice. It even says in the email that they care about you.
>>
File: 1484329144497.jpg (122KB, 602x655px) Image search: [Google]
1484329144497.jpg
122KB, 602x655px
>>62350442
Imagine being so pathetic you will defend car DLCs.
>>
>>62350375
>>if you decide to buy this upgrade after the free trial is done, the cost is $5k
I can totally see pirated upgrades
>>
>>62350084
Have you never used heroine or something?

First you just use cannabis and some XTC pills on the weekends.
You think that's pretty great.
Your dealer also offers heroine but it's expensive so you decline.
Then one day he gives you a free sample of heroine with your regular bag.
HOLY SHIT! that's so much better than what I had before!
Now that price doesn't seem so bad...

Simple marketing, really.
>>
You dumb fucks it's bad for the batteries to completely discharge them, but doing it once or twice won't kill it.
>>
>>62350380
If another disaster hits on September 16 you know it's engineered just to make people pay for this upgrade.
>>
>>62350500
This isn't about that. The batteries have a bigger capacity, but you have to pay extra to unlock it. They are just offering that for free for a limited time.
>>
>>62350476
more like saving their own asses, imagine the bad PR if some tesla owner got stuck somewhere, meanwhile he had the extra locked up range to get to safety,

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2017/09/01/ford-hurricane-harvey-relief.html

Musk should put his money where his mouth is, instead of just giving a free trial that costs him nothing.
>>
>>62350403
>crippled on purpose

The battery doesn't wear out as fast if you only use 80% of it.
So it's not a complete waste, it makes economic sense.
>>
>>62350527

It's a compromise. Unlocking the "extra capacity" will shorten the life of the battery.
>>
>>62350458
Being able to upgrade your car through downloads is the future. I wish I could pay to upgrade my computer through a download without having to buy new hardware. When I want to upgrade my car, I need to buy a new one. Now with the help of Tesla, I can upgrade my car without buying a new one when it doesn't suit my needs. That's a win-win in my book.
>>
>>62350528
I think you still need to charge first before you can use that extra range, no?

It might even cause MORE problems if there are longer queues at the charging stations because people insists on charging to full (which takes considerably longer).
>>
>>62350572
thats literally paying for on-disk DLC
>>
>>62350572
>I wish I could buy hardware and not be able to use it fully so a company can make me pay for it again.

Are you a fucking idiot?
>>
>>62350558
no it won't you fuckwit.

This is a regular fucking feature of the Teslas.

You could buy a 60D , with a 200 mile range, and then after you purchase it, pay Tesla to unlock the last 13kWh and extend your range by another 40 miles.
>>
>>62350581

Not sure if the unlock let's the batteries discharge to a lower voltage, charge to a higher voltage, or a combo of both.
>>
>>62350547
fuck off back to plebbit.
>>
>>62350603
Yes it does

the entire premise around only charging to 80% saves battery life and reduces battery degradation over time.
>>
>>62350603

You have no clue how lithium batteries work.
>>
>>62350528
$3.5 million in tax-deductible charity is also a joke.
Wasn't the damage hundreds of billions?

Also Musk doesn't have any money.
All he has is a Ponzi scheme.
>>
>>62350603
You're a fucking retard
>>
>>62350589
The only fucking idiots are the ones falling for the most blatant bait imaginable.
>>
>>62350626
>>62350622
this isn't about battery degradation you dumbasses.

Tesla isn't letting customers use the 'safety' part of the batteries.

it is litterally unlocking on-disc DLC.
>>
File: 1490023338609.jpg (52KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
1490023338609.jpg
52KB, 460x460px
>>62350572
>this is what muskonauts actually think
back to "hacker" "news" with you
>>
>>62350656
>Tesla isn't letting customers use the 'safety' part of the batteries.
what is this about "safety"?
>>
>>62350012
There are probably some longevity issues that are at play if someone completely drains the battery. This is most likely there because all the old dumb rich fucks who are tech illiterate don't understand how batteries work.
>>
>>62350656

Put your phone back in your backpack and pay attention in class.
>>
>>62350683
It's Sunday
>>
File: 1469739906464.png (90KB, 267x266px) Image search: [Google]
1469739906464.png
90KB, 267x266px
>our records indicate that you made online postings belittling the build quality of our "premium shitboxes"
>we regret to inform you that we will be limiting your speed and range for a period of three years thank you for your purchase
>>
>>62350589
Pretty much all hardware works like that.

Unless you buy the top of the range model they usually put some kind of artificial limitation on it.

They usually don't let you unlock it afterwards.
But I don't see how this makes any difference? - if you don't want to unlock then don't and just keep enjoying your artificially cropped hardware.
>>
>>62350689

"Special" children take weekend classes.
>>
File: tesla.jpg (303KB, 1223x1489px) Image search: [Google]
tesla.jpg
303KB, 1223x1489px
This is what Telsa has unlocked (temporarily) it has nothing to do with draining your batteries 100%
>>
>>62350656
>the 'safety' part of the batteries.

The WHAT????

He's just unlocking part of the batteries the higher end models already have unlocked.
Do you think those models are death traps?
>>
File: R9rnmXv_d.jpg (44KB, 576x382px) Image search: [Google]
R9rnmXv_d.jpg
44KB, 576x382px
ENJOY YOUR BOTNET FAGS
>>
>>62350375

>yeah like Ford and GM secretly hide features on your car so you can pay extra to unlock it later.

>Being this naive
>>
Can't wait until Toyota starts building all electric cars in 5-10 years when the technology is mature and tesla goes bankrupt. The reddit salt will be amazing
>>
>>62350737

It's just like internet connection caps. Those who use more pay more. What's so bad about that?
>>
Question:

Why don't laptops come with a switch to improve battery life at the expense of capacity?

I normally only use my laptop while plugged in.
So I would be fine with a smaller capacity.
Only when I go somewhere other than my office do I need a full charge.
>>
>>62350775
>implying unreliable Toyotashit can even compete with the company that brought the first electric car to market
Tesla has a lot more experience and better engineers than any other car company. Musk even said that his engineers are the best and electric cars are the future. They're even bringing electricity to houses through their battery backups for storms or other disasters.
>>
>>62350798
Well for one thing, if you decide to upgrade later it costs more than if you had done it at the time of purchase.

Not just the battery, for example Auto-pilot will cost an extra $2000 to unlock later (on top of the fee to get it)
>>
>access the additional battery capacity
So the car has a second battery that you must normally pay to utilize?
>>
>>62350848
Not a second battery,

but software limits, see >>62350737
>>
>>62350476
that is most common bullshit about drug dealers ever made by goverment propaganda. free drugs.

yeah, and proce census as reason not to take h.
pathetic.
>>
>people are unironically thinking tesla does this for the good of the customers
So they are screwing their highest paying customers, then? Because both the 75 and the 60 versions are exactly the same, except one is more expensive and enables you to drive longer. If that is a bad thing, why would you need to pay more for it?
>>
>>62350826
because you can't trust normies with this kind of setting
>>
>>62350835
>Tesla has a lot more experience and better engineers than any other car company.

Lolno.

They have a little more experience with the ELECTRIC parts, sure.
But a car is a lot more than just the engine.

The interior of a Model S is utter shit, for example.
Even budget brands do a much better job.
Nobody will want to sit in a Tesla if they can have an electric car with similar range from a traditional brand that knows how to make interiors.

Batteries and electric motors are so simple, anyone can make electric cars.
It's just a matter of making them economically viable (which Tesla's aren't).

>Musk even said that his engineers are the best
WOW, that's a totally unbiased source then.....
>>
While I'll admit that this is peak jew, it's not so uncommon in the car industry.
BMW offers the same i4 engine as 2.5l, 2.0l and 1.8l. You pay less tax, get less HP and more MPG but it's basically the same engine.
>>
>>62350925
>Batteries and electric motors are so simple, anyone can make electric cars.
Yea, thats why there is so much competition... oh, wait.
>>
>>62350835
>They're even bringing electricity to houses through their battery backups for storms or other disasters.
that powerwall is utter SHIT.

Even if you charged it up for free, and discharged it at peak hours (lets say 20c per kWh) your break even time is 6+ years.

But of course this is the real world, and it will cost you something to charge it up (be it from the grid or your solar panels) but there is a cost, so you could expect a pay back period measured in decades.
>>
>>62350882
This.

75kWh buyers are getting screwed over because their neighbors who bought 60kWh versions will also survive.

Why spend more when you can't even watch your neighbors die?
>>
>>62350942
>my attention span is just one line.

OK I will write this all on one line then I said ECONOMICALLY viable currently electric cars cannot compete against petrol unless you get heavy subsidies or the manufacturer sells them for less than what it costs to make them but pretty much all car manufacturers are ready to make the switch once it makes economic sense.
>>
>>62350931
You realize "liter" is metric so there is no room for interpretation, right?

So are you saying "1.8 liter" is physically 2.5 liters? - I find that very hard to believe.
Or do you mean it's the same engine but with different cylinder sizes?

Yes, you pay less taxes when you have a cleaner engine, that's not something BMW decided.
>>
I'm guessing when the battery is dead normally it has some reserve charge, with the update it most likely utilises this extra charge. This won't be good for the battery depending on how far down it drains it which is why they are removing the extra range later on. I would rather have less range and have a battery that isn't pushed too hard. Just my 2 ยข though desu.
>>
>>62351245
No, I'm fairly sure when the battery says "full" it still has some space left.
But when it's empty it's empty (except for some small amount to prevent switching the polarity)
>>
>>62351347
Ah yeah I forgot that, it most likely doesn't charge all the way. but it also wouldn't discharge it all the way down as that's bad for lithium batteries as well.
>>
>>62351245
>why they are removing the extra range later on.
they are removing it because the customer did not pay for it.

>I'm guessing when the battery is dead normally it has some reserve charge, with the update it most likely utilises this extra charge.

No. that is not it at all.
they have been doing this >>62350737

Why do you think Tesla can't 'unlock' any extra range on the other models
>>
File: FB_IMG_1487841264538.jpg (47KB, 460x595px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1487841264538.jpg
47KB, 460x595px
>>62350012

Imagine you are electric car maker. Only pathetic samples were made by your competitor untill this day. You put some batteries to your new car and make them way more your car need so you dont have to deal with warranty claims if something is wrong, since technology is new. After 10years you discover the extra energy hidden were never needed to use (imagine it like in SSD when you have only 120gb instead of 128 bcs 8gb is spare to reallocation). Then you provide generous move and unlock it for everybody now when its safe to use whole capacity because technology was proven and tested by milions.

How is this bad? Petrol engine can be locked nowadays too unless its old carburaetor...its not electric car problem only.
>>
>>62350012
Wear leveling. He could have unlocked it at day one like cheap chink companies do on laptops, but it'd be dead in a year.
>>
>>62351539
>After 10years you discover the extra energy hidden were never needed to use
dumbass get out of here.
>>
>>62351576
no its not you dumb shit read this
>>62350737
>>
>>62350141
>implying it doesn't have an ethernet cable dragging behind it
>>
>>62350141
>implying they can't downgrade it doing charging
>>
>>62351596
Sorry for english not a native speaker and sometimes I make mistakes. At least I know difference between you're and your. For 10 years. How long is tesla roadster on market idiot? Do you think the were reinventing the whole system for model S again?
>>
>>62351642
Tesla isn't discovering any extra energy idiots.

They sold 75kWh battery packs in every car, except that software wise they trimmed down available power based on what you bought (buy a cheaper 70D model, only get 70kWh available)
>>
>>62350476
kek, you are fucking clueless. smack dealers don't sell weed.
>>
>>62351875
It was a joke, dumbass.

You honestly thought I was a heroine addict?
>>
>>62351925
You can't even spell heroin, so I honestly thought you were just a retard.
>>
>>62350012
this is the same shit as over provisioning SSDs. It allows the vehicle to better absorb the battery lose over time. If you bought a car that ran 300km on a charge, you wouldn't be so happy if you could only go 250km in a few years
>>
>>62350656
>this isn't about battery degradation you dumbasses.
It is though, because every time you charge the 75S to "100%", you are taking a very small bite out of the life of the battery. But with the 60S that has the 75kw battery software-limited to 60kw, you can charge to "100%" every time.

Of course, BOTH batteries are being software limited. You physically could charge the 75S a fair amount further than "100%," but software won't let you do that because you will run into battery degradation issues sooner than Tesla has decided they would like you to.
>>
File: 1502243188867.gif (1MB, 207x207px) Image search: [Google]
1502243188867.gif
1MB, 207x207px
>>62350740
perfect image for the thread
>>
>>62350403
it saves on battery life which to most people is more important. you should be able to adjust all this on your own of course, the setting should just be in the system. but you guys are acting like gas cars haven't be "crippled on purpose" since forever via ECU or just not using the engine fully, requiring mods. but the dlc argument is just, in that it should just be in the car, like the dlc should just be in the game.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.