[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to install ubuntu on external ssd pic related, but i heard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: index.jpg (5KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 275x183px
I want to install ubuntu on external ssd pic related, but i heard it can cause windows 10 not to boot when it's ejected. How can I avoid that happening?
>>
>>62346413
How would it do that?
Ubandoo will install a bootloader on the SSD, it won't touch your HDD unless you fuck around with the installation process.
>>
>>62346442
It says it happens in this guide
https://www.dionysopoulos.me/253-portable-ubuntu-on-usb-hdd.html
>>
>>62346484
I see.
This is going to happen if you have an EFI machine, it won't happen for legacy bios.
And if it does, you can just fix it, following the guide tbqhfam.
I wouldn't worry and just do it
>>
>>62346510
How can i check if I have legacy or efi?
>>
>>62346556
I mean, did you not build your machine?
http://kb.parallels.com/en/115815 follow this.
>>
>>62346584
It's a laptop, t470
>>
>>62346556
fucking underage retard
>>
>>62346584
ok, so it's efi, is there anyway to change into legacy?
>>
>>62346589
Then it depends what mode was selected in the bios, since the t470 is an efi device with support for legacy bios. Just spam the ThinkVantage button on boot and look around in the bios.
I have a t420, and set it up to use legacy bios, to prevent issues with shitty efi.
>>
>>62346610
see
>>62346597
and kys
>>
>>62346610
You'd need to wipe your HDD and reinstall winshit.
Just use EFI, install Ubandoo following the guide and don't worry about it.
>>
>>62346616
thanks. no thinkvantage button tho.

So changing to legacy will prevent windows not booting when external ssd with ubuntu is ejected?
>>
>>62346671
I'd assume so, if you don't have EFI to overwrite and a MBR partitioning scheme not even the idiotic installer will try to do that.

You could save yourself the trouble and get a distro where you have actual control over the installation process.
>>
>>62346692
b-but i want a secure os, isn't /g/ is all about it
>>
>>62346706
kys you dual booting faggot
go to r/techsupport
>>
>>62346696
thanks senpai, don't really want to bother reinstalling win to change to legacy, will just follow the guide and see where it takes me
>>
>>62346721
i understand your anger m'lady, but i wanna learn linux and cant give up on windows just yet because work
>>
>>62346413
>external SSD
It will probably have shit performance unless the devices you plug it into have USB 3.1 or USB C.
>>
>>62346875
usb c
>>
>>62346875
USB-C is a type of connector, not a mark for any speed. You could have USB2.0 Type C connectors.
>>
>>62346915
They're usually at 3.0/3.1 speeds though. I haven't found a 2.0 connector just yet desu. Unless they're on phones since I never tested phone connector speeds.
>>
>>62346990
It doesn't matter. Implying USB-C is any kind of indicator as far as transfer speed is concerned is extremely dumb and you should be ashamed of yourself.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.